tenuki

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tenuki

Guess I'm unlikely right now Will update if you don't fill up.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 233 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tenuki wrote:Guess I'm unlikely right now Will update if you don't fill up.

But, but .... Universal Studios!

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

wkdpanda wrote:That sounds interesting. Any ideas for dinner on Sunday? We are staying at the Sheratos Cerritos, but will probably just uber anywhere we go.

What are you up for?

Mongolian BBQ? Excellent place that zTBz and I go to all the time, corkage is $10. And it's close by you.

Brazilian BBQ? Place in Long Beach we've gone to with ClayFu, and Java. Corkage about the same.

Steak? Clearman's North Woods Inn is fun (eat peanuts and throw shells on floor) and close by as well. Not sure on corkage.

Farther away is the place in Brea zTBz mentioned. Great creamed corn and spinich dishes.

Down by our wine lockers (closed on Sundays) is a great prime rib place, corkage is low, and great creamed corn and spinich there as well.

Great seafood place just down the freeway in Los Alamitos, as well as the Reef by the Queen Mary in Long Beach.

There's also great chicken dinners at Knotts Berry Farm, where you don't need to go into the park. Shops are there as well to browse.

Edit: Within walking distance are several restaurants: Romano's Macaroni Grill (Italian), Wood Ranch (BBQ), and usual suspects (Mimi's and TGI Fridays), along with Pieology (thin crust pizza).

x20             
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 82 Private Messages losthighwayz
MarkDaSpark wrote:What are you up for?

Mongolian BBQ? Excellent place that zTBz and I go to all the time, corkage is $10. And it's close by you.

Brazilian BBQ? Place in Long Beach we've gone to with ClayFu, and Java. Corkage about the same.

Steak? Clearman's North Woods Inn is fun (eat peanuts and throw shells on floor) and close by as well. Not sure on corkage.

Farther away is the place in Brea zTBz mentioned. Great creamed corn and spinich dishes.

Down by our wine lockers (closed on Sundays) is a great prime rib place, corkage is low, and great creamed corn and spinich there as well.

Great seafood place just down the freeway in Los Alamitos, as well as the Reef by the Queen Mary in Long Beach.

There's also great chicken dinners at Knotts Berry Farm, where you don't need to go into the park. Shops are there as well to browse.

Edit: Within walking distance are several restaurants: Romano's Macaroni Grill (Italian), Wood Ranch (BBQ), and usual suspects (Mimi's and TGI Fridays), along with Pieology (thin crust pizza).

I just have to jump in here. If you're of for a great steakhouse with a rat pack era feel then you need to go to Dal Rae 15 minutes away.

I mean it. Great bar, awesome wine list, table side made from scratch Caesar salad, etc.

This is where the old San Gabriel valley money people go. Lots of history. You will not be disappointed!

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

wkdpanda wrote:That sounds interesting. Any ideas for dinner on Sunday? We are staying at the Sheratos Cerritos, but will probably just uber anywhere we go.

Belmont Shore/Naples area in Long Beach has an awesome Italian place. On the upscale side but awesome food and wine.

Check out Michaels in Naples.

I also replied to MdS if you're into steak. Dal Rae is the place to be. Both are within 20 minute drive from Cerritos. The advantage Miachaels has is you can then take a stroll on the beach or window shop along Second Street in Belmont Shore (Long Beach)

MarkDaSpark

losthighwayz wrote:Belmont Shore/Naples area in Long Beach has an awesome Italian place. On the upscale side but awesome food and wine.

Check out Michaels in Naples.

I also replied to MdS if you're into steak. Dal Rae is the place to be. Both are within 20 minute drive from Cerritos. The advantage Miachaels has is you can then take a stroll on the beach or window shop along Second Street in Belmont Shore (Long Beach)

Have to try Dal Rae.

Disadvantage of Michael's is parking. Not only is it hard to find, but it's metered 24/7!

x20             

losthighwayz

MarkDaSpark wrote:Have to try Dal Rae.

Disadvantage of Michael's is parking. Not only is it hard to find, but it's metered 24/7!

Take the red bus there! 😜

MarkDaSpark

losthighwayz wrote:Take the red bus there! 😜

Don't think the Red Bus allows time to window shop or stroll!

x20             

losthighwayz

MarkDaSpark wrote:Don't think the Red Bus allows time to window shop or stroll!

Über or Lyft!

time2testit

quality posts: 17 Private Messages time2testit

Doesn't anyone ever check their Woot mailbox anymore? Hint hint zTimothyBz.

klezman

quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman

I'm in, money sent to Ron. molarchae and the little dude will also be joining in for the camaraderie.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
time2testit wrote:Doesn't anyone ever check their Woot mailbox anymore? Hint hint zTimothyBz.

I saw it. There wasn't anything to respond to, though, since you basically just said "We're thinking about it." And by then it was the transition from interest to payment.

There was one nice thing in there I should have acknowledged, though.

You offered to share a tasting glass with your +1, which would allow one more space at the tasting, which would have lowered the cost for everybody, since we'd be splitting among n+1.

But it looks like we may be short of 20, so while it was a kind and generous offer, it won't be necessary.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.

MarkDaSpark

losthighwayz wrote:Über or Lyft!

Belmont Shore is over-rated. Been there, would rather shop elsewhere!

x20             

losthighwayz

MarkDaSpark wrote:Belmont Shore is over-rated. Been there, would rather shop elsewhere!

I meant window shopping while bar hoping! 🍺

losthighwayz

klezman wrote:I'm in, money sent to Ron. molarchae and the little dude will also be joining in for the camaraderie.

I think you really meant to say Molarchae will be the designated driver 😁

MarkDaSpark

losthighwayz wrote:I think you really meant to say the little dude will be the designated driver 😁

IFTFY.

x20             

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
klezman wrote:I'm in, money sent to Ron. molarchae and the little dude will also be joining in for the camaraderie.

Does molarchae still enjoy ports and dessert wines?

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.

klezman

quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman
zTimothyBz wrote:Does molarchae still enjoy ports and dessert wines?

Ports less so these days, icewines and late harvests most certainly. Apparently her love affair with Sauternes is waning. She's slowly returning to her pre-pregnancy tastes though.

We polished off a delicious 1995 Icewine tonight fwiw. We may bring a little something along those lines next weekend - we'll see.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

molarchae

quality posts: 5 Private Messages molarchae
klezman wrote:Ports less so these days, icewines and late harvests most certainly. Apparently her love affair with Sauternes is waning. She's slowly returning to her pre-pregnancy tastes though.

My tolerance is even lower than pre-pregnancy, so port just gets me too drunk on too little enjoyment. And I am still not feeling oxidation, so definitely no tawny or your personal favorite of Madeira for me.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda

Opened a 1986 Raymond Cellars Private Reserve tonight, in preparation of next weekend.

Bottle in good condition, bought off of winebid. I've had it cellared for the last 5+ years.

Initial open, seems to be a bit of ascetic finish, wondered if it was past prime. It is definitely at the tail end. After being opened for 10 to 15 min, the ascetic faded and we got notes of fruit compote, vanilla, cedar. No tannins worth noting.

Its a good old Cab, and at this point we started pairing with various things. Tallegio cheese, Iberico Chorizo, a Goat Brie, leftover Gyro meat. We went sweet - goat brie with honey, dried apricots, dried cherries. There was an almost basalmic profile to the wine, so we tried a good aged balsamic, then a bit of balsamic on some cheese. Finally we hit semi sweet chocolate chunks, and then the chunks dipped in raspberry sauce.

Ah hour after opening, its starting to loose the fruit and go predominantly of the barrel flavors, cedar, tobacco and vanilla.

However, there was a crazy surprise - we had a Syrah that was left in glass from earlier. After a sip of the Cab, we then had a sip of the Syrah. Wow, the Syrah went completely smoke and BBQ. Really brought out a taste of bacon and smoked meat.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

MarkDaSpark

x20             

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Ports less so these days, icewines and late harvests most certainly. Apparently her love affair with Sauternes is waning. She's slowly returning to her pre-pregnancy tastes though.

We polished off a delicious 1995 Icewine tonight fwiw. We may bring a little something along those lines next weekend - we'll see.

Maybe I should bring a LH Zin?

x20             

MarkDaSpark

x20