tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58
losthighwayz wrote:Repiping our home. Pex or copper? Got three quotes...the range was quite interesting

Copper

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

losthighwayz

quality posts: 83 Private Messages losthighwayz
klezman wrote:What is the price difference?
Both have advantages and disadvantages, and it seems up to the plumber which version they prefer. Their pricing may help steer you as well.

$1k difference. All three offered both but recommended pex

"The older I get the better I was"

rjquillin

quality posts: 289 Private Messages rjquillin
losthighwayz wrote:$1k difference. All three offered both but recommended pex

Easier and faster for them to install.

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:Wow.. customer service responded very quickly. Refunded price of the bottle. (TT- please let them know that I appreciate the speed and results)
I did get a Victory in my box, will have to ask my friend what she got.
Will have to do a quality control check later

edit: I bet our record high temps had something to do with the leakage

I got a prompt reply that the "wine guru" was out and would reply when he returned. Thinking after the holidays. Since a gift, was hoping for a replacement. But it will only get colder in MN for the next several weeks (or months). It's MN, it's what they do.

cortot20

quality posts: 297 Private Messages cortot20

Double check with your city's building department to see if they have any restrictions on plumbing type.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 236 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
losthighwayz wrote:Repiping our home. Pex or copper? Got three quotes...the range was quite interesting

When Dad repiped the kitchen and back bathroom 12 years ago, he went with copper. Of course, he might have been a trifle proud ... he helped build our house back in 1950.

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1
polarbear22 wrote:I got a prompt reply that the "wine guru" was out and would reply when he returned. Thinking after the holidays. Since a gift, was hoping for a replacement. But it will only get colder in MN for the next several weeks (or months). It's MN, it's what they do.

wow... must have been my lucky day.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cortot20 wrote:The cost for a repipe is mostly labor so it's all about material. I would go copper. PEX seems great on paper but I don't want to install plastic pipe under pressure in my house.

I'm with you on plastic pipe under pressure, but it's fine for drains.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

klezman

quality posts: 178 Private Messages klezman

Well, I've done a lot of research into this myself. The stuff has been used for 30+ years in Europe and most of that time in the U.S. I have no worries about its ability to last a long time or anything else like bursting under pressure. At the end of the day you can easily justify whichever choice you make, but both seem to be perfectly good choices. I'd probably end up with pex, since I'd like to save a kilobuck.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

losthighwayz

klezman wrote:Well, I've done a lot of research into this myself. The stuff has been used for 30+ years in Europe and most of that time in the U.S. I have no worries about its ability to last a long time or anything else like bursting under pressure. At the end of the day you can easily justify whichever choice you make, but both seem to be perfectly good choices. I'd probably end up with pex, since I'd like to save a kilobuck.

Same here on research and am 50/50 on which way to go😟 At the end of the day it comes down to quality of work done by installers so now determining what company to trust!

losthighwayz

cortot20 wrote:Double check with your city's building department to see if they have any restrictions on plumbing type.

Thanks. 50/50 but leaning towards copper

losthighwayz

Anyone have a tankless water heater?

losthighwayz

rjquillin wrote:Easier and faster for them to install.

Agree, read that. One guy did say he does both regularly but that beach area home use pex more often because of higher chlorine that may cause copper to leak.

I feel the $1k id be paying for copper is for the material more than labor, though

rjquillin

losthighwayz wrote:Anyone have a tankless water heater?

Got one for the kitchen, but not yet installed it.

Long run (time) from the tank is driving this.

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:wow... must have been my lucky day.

Got a reply later in the day. They refunded for the damaged bottle as they said the winery did not have replacements. So it worked out OK. And faster than I expected since the person was out.

tytiger58

Yes love my tankless! Copper has better resale value unless you're selling to a hippie

jamesozzello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesozzello

Put in a whole house gas one 4 or 5 years ago and have been well satisfied with it. Slight delay in getting fully hot water to farthest shower. I think that's due to the slight delay in burner kicking in and rewarming pipes, so maybe a bit more water usage. There is a recycling system you can put in to help with that, but I didn't think it was worth the cost and effort. Definite gas savings, but I couldn't put a number to it. fully satisfied and would do it again if/when needed.

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:Yes love my tankless! Copper has better resale value unless you're selling to a hippie

especially if you're destitute and come in to strip the house of it's resources.

CT

tytiger58

rjquillin wrote:especially if you're destitute and come in to strip the house of it's resources.

That too

klezman

losthighwayz wrote:Agree, read that. One guy did say he does both regularly but that beach area home use pex more often because of higher chlorine that may cause copper to leak.

I feel the $1k id be paying for copper is for the material more than labor, though

It should be cheaper material and a fair bit less labour to install pex since no welding is needed. Just a lot of snapping connectors into place.

rjquillin

Welding..?

CT

tytiger58

rjquillin wrote:Welding..?

Pretty sure he meant soldering and don't Google that stuff to many negatives!

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:Pretty sure he meant soldering and don't Google that stuff to many negatives!

Sure braze welding (at least that's what I learned to do in high school). Soldering. Whatever
I've always used soldering only in the case of electronics, but I guess that's a special case of braze welding as well.

bahwm

quality posts: 59 Private Messages bahwm
klezman wrote:Sure braze welding (at least that's what I learned to do in high school). Soldering. Whatever
I've always used soldering only in the case of electronics, but I guess that's a special case of braze welding as well.

Could that be a Canadianism???

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

bahwm wrote:Could that be a Canadianism???

Do yaks run wild up there?

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Do yaks run wild up there?

Apparently the technical difference is that with soldering you only melt the metal that does the join. Welding means you melt the join material and also the two pieces to be joined.

rjquillin

klezman wrote:

Apparently the technical difference is that with soldering you only melt the metal that does the join. Welding means you melt the join material and also the two pieces to be joined.

And then there's the difference between hard and soft soldering...

Interesting, even with 'English' how words/phrases can have such different meanings.

CT

tytiger58

klezman wrote:Sure braze welding (at least that's what I learned to do in high school). Soldering. Whatever

We'll just to let all you silver Spooner's know you solder your copper pipes together. I know you know every technical term because the hardest work you guys ever did is carry your books to class.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1

Happy merry whatever you celebrate!
I will be out of Internet range for a while. Will check on when I can.hope Everyone has a great whatever

MarkDaSpark

x20             
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:Happy merry whatever you celebrate!
I will be out of Internet range for a while. Will check on when I can.hope Everyone has a great whatever

A delightfully meh post.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 297 Private Messages cortot20
tytiger58 wrote:We'll just to let all you silver Spooner's know you solder your copper pipes together. I know you know every technical term because the hardest work you guys ever did is carry your books to class.

Were you still going to come over this Christmas break and paint my pool fence and split a cord of wood for me? Or are you too busy walking both ways uphill in the snow to work?

CT

tytiger58

cortot20 wrote:Were you still going to come over this Christmas break and paint my pool fence and split a cord of wood for me? Or are you too busy walking both ways uphill in the snow to work?

Get the hell off my lawn!

MarkDaSpark

tytiger58 wrote:Get the hell off my lawn!

x20             

MarkDaSpark

Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

x20             

winefarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages winefarm

Happy Christmas from the Sonoma Gang!

bahwm

quality posts: 59 Private Messages bahwm

Merry Christmas to all of my woot friends and Happy Hanukkah to those who are celebrating!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

klezman

Merry Christmas and happy Channukah!
Nice to see you here winefarm! Hope you and the family are doing well and that we've bought more than enough wine to send your kids to college.

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Merry Christmas and happy Channukah!
Nice to see you here winefarm! Hope you and the family are doing well and that we've bought more than enough wine to send your kids to college.

Yes, Merry Christmas and happy {Channukah, Chanukkah, Hanukkah} to all.
[I'm challenged; is the spelling just another Canadian thing?]

CT

MarkDaSpark

Happy Boxing Day!

x20