otolith


quality posts: 26 Private Messages otolith
polarbear22 wrote:Spent over 30 minutes trying to set up Wi-Fi. Finally decided it may not like the 5G channel the iPad uses. That did the trick.

First use tomorrow, a pair of rib-eyes. Not as thick as recommended, so I hope the sear does not overcook. My wife left it to me to use first time. Still not excited by it. So her present may include me cooking her more meals with the Anova.



I hinted at getting one of these for SWMBO, too, and she told me if it was a kitchen gadget that plugs in that I'm better of getting something else. SO, I didn't. Then, reading this thread and having my friends talk about theirs, I'm kicking myself for not picking one up while on sale!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
otolith wrote:I hinted at getting one of these for SWMBO, too, and she told me if it was a kitchen gadget that plugs in that I'm better of getting something else. SO, I didn't. Then, reading this thread and having my friends talk about theirs, I'm kicking myself for not picking one up while on sale!



I use it constantly. It's nice to throw a roast in there on Sunday and eat it on Tuesday, or if a pork roast, that morning and it's done when I get home and not all dried out nasty like a crockpot. I can do chicken from frozen in about two hours, etc... Plus it does not heat the house in summer!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith


quality posts: 26 Private Messages otolith
bhodilee wrote:I use it constantly. It's nice to throw a roast in there on Sunday and eat it on Tuesday, or if a pork roast, that morning and it's done when I get home and not all dried out nasty like a crockpot. I can do chicken from frozen in about two hours, etc... Plus it does not heat the house in summer!



Find it on sale for me then! lol

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
otolith wrote:Find it on sale for me then! lol



oh, it'll be on sale soon enough.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

polarbear22


quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22
otolith wrote:Find it on sale for me then! lol


We are enablers, it's what we do.

cortot20


quality posts: 297 Private Messages cortot20
bhodilee wrote:I use it constantly. It's nice to throw a roast in there on Sunday and eat it on Tuesday, or if a pork roast, that morning and it's done when I get home and not all dried out nasty like a crockpot. I can do chicken from frozen in about two hours, etc... Plus it does not heat the house in summer!



I dont know, I find crock pot meals when done right are not dry at all. A matter of fact i'm doing this today, comes out great everytime.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-cuban-braised-beef-and-peppers-recipe

CT

North316


quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316
polarbear22 wrote:I cooked two bone-in ribeyes yesterday. About 70 minutes at 129. Then seared on a 600 degree grill for a minute or so per side. One came out perfect medium rare. The second was a little too rare near the bone. Any thoughts on what I should do to ensure both come out perfect?

I am thinking I should have just had more time. Second thoughts are to have the steak with bone down to make sure it is fully immersed.

SWMBO is still a skeptic, as her steak was the one that was not uniformly cooked. But I think she will let me do more experimentation.



If it wasn't immersed, that would definitely be a problem.

I'm not expert, but I though I recalled reading that you can go at least 2 hours so with the steak with no real noticeable change in texture, that would solve your uneven cooking, also, make sure that whatever vessel you are using had adequate water circulation.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
cortot20 wrote:I dont know, I find crock pot meals when done right are not dry at all. A matter of fact i'm doing this today, comes out great everytime.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-cuban-braised-beef-and-peppers-recipe



Chicken in a crock pot is the worst

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee

my griddle, great for getting stupid hot in the broiler and Browning food quick

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

klezman


quality posts: 178 Private Messages klezman
bhodilee wrote:Easy enough, get a thicker steak and split it or just each eat a thicker steak

Seriously though, getting one thicker steak and splitting it is preferable to two skinny steaks.



Yes. This. A 1.5" or so thick rib steak with bone that we just cooked was 30 oz, bone included. Seared perfectly in a hot pan with canola oil.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

North316


quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316

Filet cooked at 58C with a bottle of 2009 Pedroncelli Cab. Good night indeed.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

joelsisk


quality posts: 11 Private Messages joelsisk

another beef shoulder, just 7.5 lbs this time.










Ended up using about 3 lbs after 4 hours @135, finished as mongolian beef for dinner.

The rest will cook for another 32 ish hours @135 for use later.

klezman


quality posts: 178 Private Messages klezman

Tri tip, direct from freezer into room temp water. Cooker set to 55 C, 2.5 hours. Finished on the grill. Perfection.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee

Whole avocado, 40c couple hours, no Browning. So sayeth Alton Brown. I'll let you know.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

North316


quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316
joelsisk wrote:another beef shoulder, just 7.5 lbs this time.










Ended up using about 3 lbs after 4 hours @135, finished as mongolian beef for dinner.

The rest will cook for another 32 ish hours @135 for use later.



Interested in this Mongolian beef...

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

joed10303


quality posts: 4 Private Messages joed10303
joelsisk wrote:another beef shoulder, just 7.5 lbs this time.








Ended up using about 3 lbs after 4 hours @135, finished as mongolian beef for dinner.

The rest will cook for another 32 ish hours @135 for use later.



Joel how big is the pot that you are using ?

klezman


quality posts: 178 Private Messages klezman
bhodilee wrote:Whole avocado, 40c couple hours, no Browning. So sayeth Alton Brown. I'll let you know.



Do you then make guac that won't brown?

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
bhodilee wrote:Whole avocado, 40c couple hours, no Browning. So sayeth Alton Brown. I'll let you know.



So.... This totally works. 45 minutes on the counter and its still green. Tastes right, no texture difference. Good trick.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
klezman wrote:Do you then make guac that won't brown?



That's my plan. Game changer for chicken sandwiches too.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
bhodilee wrote:So.... This totally works. 45 minutes on the counter and its still green. Tastes right, no texture difference. Good trick.



After two hours on the counter it discolored just a little. Mashed it with some salt, Sriracha and fresh ginger just as a quick dip. The ginger, really nice. Will put some in my guacamole tomorrow.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

joelsisk


quality posts: 11 Private Messages joelsisk
North316 wrote:Interested in this Mongolian beef...



I used this recipe... only doubled the sauce.

Also, taste was good, but still too much connective tissue after just 4 hours... even trimmed, some of the pieces were a bit too "stringy"... but I'm apparently sensitive to that sort of thing. My wife and the au pair just ate it all. I was the one pulling out tendons or whatever from my mouth.

joelsisk


quality posts: 11 Private Messages joelsisk
joed10303 wrote:Joel how big is the pot that you are using ?



I think it's 12 quarts. Can't check, as the meat is still in it.

joed10303


quality posts: 4 Private Messages joed10303
joelsisk wrote:I think it's 12 quarts. Can't check, as the meat is still in it.



Thanks trying to decide between a 5 gal pot or a 16/20 qt cooler.

joelsisk


quality posts: 11 Private Messages joelsisk
joed10303 wrote:Thanks trying to decide between a 5 gal pot or a 16/20 qt cooler.



Confirmed, 12 quart. it's the biggest I have on hand.

North316


quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316
joelsisk wrote:I used this recipe... only doubled the sauce.

Also, taste was good, but still too much connective tissue after just 4 hours... even trimmed, some of the pieces were a bit too "stringy"... but I'm apparently sensitive to that sort of thing. My wife and the au pair just ate it all. I was the one pulling out tendons or whatever from my mouth.



That recipe looks good. I definitely bookmarked it.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

InFrom


quality posts: 48 Private Messages InFrom

I see the Food Savers are back, in a side sale on Home.

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee

Cut a turkey breast in half, into the Ziploc for five hours at 145. (They were mostly frozen). Look good, but will be dinner tomorrow.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rjquillin


quality posts: 289 Private Messages rjquillin
InFrom wrote:I see the Food Savers are back, in a side sale on Home.

Pricey.
Worth it?

CT

siwbm


quality posts: 7 Private Messages siwbm
bhodilee wrote:Cut a turkey breast in half, into the Ziploc for five hours at 145. (They were mostly frozen). Look good, but will be dinner tomorrow.



You going to do anything with it after sous vide? Searing, sauce, ?

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
rjquillin wrote:Pricey.
Worth it?



Check their website. They do a weekly deal, that's how I got mine.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
siwbm wrote:You going to do anything with it after sous vide? Searing, sauce, ?



The plan is to warm it back up at 130 for an hour, pay dry and fry it skin side down in the cat till crispy, then use the bag juice to make gravy. I miss thanksgiving!

Oh, herbs and spices under the skin while frying. Not an option with frozen bird. Just cutting it in half sucked.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kaolis


quality posts: 67 Private Messages kaolis

Cooked a couple pieces of beef tenderloin for the first time. Color was perfect but a little mushy I thought. Ended up cooking 70 minutes, longer than I planned. Maybe too long.

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
bhodilee wrote:The plan is to warm it back up at 130 for an hour, pay dry and fry it skin side down in the cat till crispy, then use the bag juice to make gravy. I miss thanksgiving!

Oh, herbs and spices under the skin while frying. Not an option with frozen bird. Just cutting it in half sucked.



to be clear, the cat was perfectly useless as a cooking vessel and now PETA is upset with me. beep-boop-bip-do-beeping autocorrect.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kaolis


quality posts: 67 Private Messages kaolis
bhodilee wrote:to be clear, the cat was perfectly useless as a cooking vessel and now PETA is upset with me. beep-boop-bip-do-beeping autocorrect.



I have a brisket in wait for a 48 hour bath. Maybe I'll put it back and try your crispy cat recipe. I knew they were good for something.

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
bhodilee wrote:The plan is to warm it back up at 130 for an hour, pay dry and fry it skin side down in the cat till crispy, then use the bag juice to make gravy. I miss thanksgiving!

Oh, herbs and spices under the skin while frying. Not an option with frozen bird. Just cutting it in half sucked.



On a serious note, best turkey ever, though I ended up not frying the skin crispy as nobody in my house gave a shit. I took the skin off, sliced it, then seasoned the slices with some Sparkle from popeyes.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee

Foodsaver Gamesaver Deluxe Plus, $79.99

Seems like a good deal. I think it's basically the non camo version of the one I paid $20 more for a couple weeks ago, of course.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
kaolis wrote:I have a brisket in wait for a 48 hour bath. Maybe I'll put it back and try your crispy cat recipe. I knew they were good for something.



how'd the brisket turn out? I've yet to do that.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

polarbear22


quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22

Pretty sure my MIL returned the one that I sent her for Christmas. They just notified me of a refund, in full.

kaolis


quality posts: 67 Private Messages kaolis

Brisket was awesome. I went simple trying to get time and temps figured out. It was only about 1.5lbs, left all fat on. Seasoned little bit of salt,pepper,garlic powder,paprika and about 1tbs liquid smoke. Maybe a little more liquid smoke next time. 48 hours at 134. Perfect pink, tender, loved the texture. Gave it a char on the grill.

Next time might try some curing salts, but I think if you use curing salts you can't use liquid smoke. Not sure about that.

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
polarbear22 wrote:Pretty sure my MIL returned the one that I sent her for Christmas. They just notified me of a refund, in full.



You'll have to ask her why she didn't like it. I can't imagine not liking it unless you're like my MIL and refuse to use anything with a LED readout on it.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)