polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
bhodilee wrote:It really was, I need to get into high end rum like I need syphilis. Which is to say, procuring it is fun, but then you're full of regret afterwards.

Infuse your own rum. Start with decent rum, not rotgut. Core and skin the pineapple, chunks or spears. Put into a mason jar and cover with rum. Let sit for a week or so, and start tasting. When ready, strain into a bottle and there you go. I think they say 2-4 weeks shelf life, but I have pushed well beyond that and doing fine. Lemon, lime and pepper vodka are keeping real well.

PS - And use the rum soaked pineapple for dessert. Saute with butter and brown sugar and pour over ice cream.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
bhodilee wrote:CNN article

Designboom

Who knew EE's could be so cool

My father was an EE (professor) who did a lot of consulting work on the side. At one point, he got involved with someone who wanted to create a machine that would revolutionize road repaving by microwaving/melting the existing asphalt so that it could be reused instead of having to break it up and haul it away. That seems like a great idea but it wasn't feasible for some reason. Probably the expense and difficulty in building a giant microwave that could be safely operated to melt asphalt roadways.

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

Any of you other California wooters have a company called greenspire come to your door? Total sham! They took all my info for a free energy usage evaluation and then at the bottom of the form that you sign ( first red flag) in fine print it's authorizing them to run a full credit check (huge red flag). I spotted it before signing the form and then said a big no thank you and then took the form and carbon copy with me to the shredder and sent him on his way. If they are really tied to conserving energy California there is no way they would need a credit check.

If they come to your door send em packing.

CT

cortot20

chipgreen wrote:My father was an EE (professor) who did a lot of consulting work on the side. At one point, he got involved with someone who wanted to create a machine that would revolutionize road repaving by microwaving/melting the existing asphalt so that it could be reused instead of having to break it up and haul it away. That seems like a great idea but it wasn't feasible for some reason. Probably the expense and difficulty in building a giant microwave that could be safely operated to melt asphalt roadways.

Asphalt is the bottoms of crude refining so it would most likely contain lots of heavy metals and other nasty things. Ever put something metal in the microwave?

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
cortot20 wrote:Any of you other California wooters have a company called greenspire come to your door? Total sham! They took all my info for a free energy usage evaluation and then at the bottom of the form that you sign ( first red flag) in fine print it's authorizing them to run a full credit check (huge red flag). I spotted it before signing the form and then said a big no thank you and then took the form and carbon copy with me to the shredder and sent him on his way. If they are really tied to conserving energy California there is no way they would need a credit check.

Was it an ACTUAL carbon copy or an NCR form? BTW, notify your local police department about them. You want them stopped and don't want some little old lady having her life savings taken away somehow!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cortot20

bahwm wrote:Was it an ACTUAL carbon copy or an NCR form? BTW, notify your local police department about them. You want them stopped and don't want some little old lady having her life savings taken away somehow!

I was writing on a white form with a yellow copy underneath I grabbed the entire bundle off the notebook he was using as a writing surface.
It's not that kind of scam, it's more along the lines of we are contracted by the state to do these evaluation sign-ups but the general contractor who comes out to do the evaluation is probably the same company with a different name. Anyway it's a bit misleading and the credit check is the real problem.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bahwm wrote:PM for you about CO.

I'm sensing a CO gathering ....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:Any of you other California wooters have a company called greenspire come to your door? Total sham! They took all my info for a free energy usage evaluation and then at the bottom of the form that you sign ( first red flag) in fine print it's authorizing them to run a full credit check (huge red flag). I spotted it before signing the form and then said a big no thank you and then took the form and carbon copy with me to the shredder and sent him on his way. If they are really tied to conserving energy California there is no way they would need a credit check.

Good to know!! Thanks!

Cause even though I have a "No Soliciting" sign, seems like none of them can read.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chipgreen

cortot20 wrote:Asphalt is the bottoms of crude refining so it would most likely contain lots of heavy metals and other nasty things. Ever put something metal in the microwave?

Yes, as a matter of fact. I once put a souvenir "Terminator 2" coffee mug in the microwave without realizing that the silver colored finish was metallic. Oops!

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
MarkDaSpark wrote:I'm sensing a CO gathering ....

This is quickly turning into a wine.woot summer, here in Denver...

bahwm

joelsisk wrote:This is quickly turning into a wine.woot summer, here in Denver...

Vacation destination point. Wouldn't it be great if we could all converge at one time?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chipgreen

bahwm wrote:Vacation destination point. Wouldn't it be great if we could all converge at one time?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:I'm sensing a CO gathering ....

The working date is July 5th. Location and time TBD.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
bahwm wrote:Hey, TtheC! Great to hear from you! I was just thinking about you the other day! Are you still with the lovely Ms. S? We haven't seen you in a dog's age! Come on out sometime. We should be around most of the summer. What about a trip to see Henry V or The Comedy of Errors? We might even be able to get a few people together for a gathering!

We broke up a little over a year ago...c'est la vie.

I would love to make it out there some time, especially for Shakespeare in the Park. Would have to make it a dual trip...spend a couple days with you guys...then head over to the other side of the state and visit HAK and cheron.

Not to mention the fact that I need a DDog cheesecake fix!! ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

bahwm

tommythecat78 wrote:We broke up a little over a year ago...c'est la vie.

I would love to make it out there some time, especially for Shakespeare in the Park. Would have to make it a dual trip...spend a couple days with you guys...then head over to the other side of the state and visit HAK and cheron.

Would love to have you over. Of course, you may stay in our guest room. Here are the dates for this year's shows: 39th Season of FREE Shakespeare HENRY V 6/19-7/13 and COMEDY OF ERRORS 7/24-8/17. The shows run every night except for Mondays and July 4th.

bahwm

Total craziness buying our airline tickets for Denver this afternoon. I bought my tickets and then, logged into ddeuddeg's account, selected the flights and in that very same timeframe the outbound flight increased in price by $59. By tonight, the return flight increased by $69! You can be sure that I will be watching these fares very closely! We are using points, but I'd rather have them available in our accounts. You know, California's on the horizon.

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:We broke up a little over a year ago...c'est la vie.

I was afraid of that, which is why I didn't ask. Thought it would be like Schroedinger's Cat. Or maybe the old military "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"?

Of course, you could always try to make it to Denver in July ....

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:I was afraid of that, which is why I didn't ask. Thought it would be like Schroedinger's Cat. Or maybe the old military "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"?

To TtheC: Sorry about that, too. I just went right into the Shakespeare commercial. Of course, HAK & cheron could come out here for Shakespeare and save you a major drive, unless you want to head out to the far side!

Oh, and I'll let Joel start something in the Gatherings thread for the July 5th date in Denver.

joelsisk

bahwm wrote:
Oh, and I'll let Joel start something in the Gatherings thread for the July 5th date in Denver.

Done. Apparently no one uses the "template" any more... I stopped looking after the first 7 or 8 posts.

Sparky, you coming?

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin
joelsisk wrote:Done. Apparently no one uses the "template" any more... I stopped looking after the first 7 or 8 posts.

Sparky, you coming?

what is this 'template' you speak of...?

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin

+ amazed +

without prompting, swmbo used the Riedel polishing cloth to dry her glass after washing it

[totally amazed!]

CT

joelsisk

rjquillin wrote:what is this 'template' you speak of...?

Sparkles used to "require" folks to use the gathering template... all the details of the gathering as well as the 3 lists - attending, maybe, regrets.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
joelsisk wrote:well sure... expensive though. Maybe while you're waiting for that to become economically feasible, you could look into wine bottle paving

ETA: hmm, this was supposed to be in response to DocO's post

That would be painful to shovel...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

joelsisk wrote:Sparkles used to "require" folks to use the gathering template... all the details of the gathering as well as the 3 lists - attending, maybe, regrets.

I just search for one of my Buffalo/WNY threads and copy it from there!

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
bhodilee wrote:That name is nasty. Do they squeeze it from fresh sailors?

My understanding is that it's single batch distilled in those large copper stills. I don't know how accurate the "official" version is, of course.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
ddeuddeg wrote:The working date is July 5th. Location and time TBD.

We will be at a friend's wedding at Paradise Ridge Winery in Santa Rosa that day. They're wooters too, but less social.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:Done. Apparently no one uses the "template" any more... I stopped looking after the first 7 or 8 posts.

Sparky, you coming?

Probably ... not sure I have a Kosher wine!

And the "template" wasn't required, but it really helps everyone find info quickly.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

I'm at our relay for live event...its 3 o'clock in the morning and its cold and damp and windy. We end early this time..6:30... Its for a good cause....but every year it seems the weather is weird ...last year we had monsoon rains....the beginning of this week our lows were in the upper 70's. Now its 50 something...oh well just a few more hours...think I'm going to have to ttry bowties rum and pineapple recipe....

tommythecat78

joelsisk wrote:Sparkles used to "require" folks to use the gathering template... all the details of the gathering as well as the 3 lists - attending, maybe, regrets.

Now I know things have changed around here. The last time I called Sparky Sparkles, I believe there were death threats involved!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

tommythecat78

MarkDaSpark wrote:I was afraid of that, which is why I didn't ask. Thought it would be like Schroedinger's Cat. Or maybe the old military "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"?

bahwm wrote:To TtheC: Sorry about that, too. I just went right into the Shakespeare commercial. Of course, HAK & cheron could come out here for Shakespeare and save you a major drive, unless you want to head out to the far side!

No worries...it is definitely for the better.

Travel in July is a no go because of work, but mid August is a slight possibility. Will have to keep an eye on that final weekend.

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:Now I know things have changed around here. The last time I called Sparky Sparkles, I believe there were death threats involved!

Yes, I have mellowed, no more threats against the senile elderly, I've learned from the mistress of doom. Now, it's a shame that MichelleShari will be so young a widow, but then again, Joel is getting up there in years.

Edit: Although, I thought it was more not taking you to Philippe's as the main threat.

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

otolith wrote:That would be painful to shovel...

And walk on barefoot. Wouldn't fare well in hail storms either.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
ThunderThighs wrote:And walk on barefoot. Wouldn't fare well in hail storms either.

Party poopers.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen