vaaccess


quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
vaaccess wrote:Wow...It took THREE HOURS to get a non-sweet version! I went to two grocery stores, an ABC store, and then finally ended up at Total Wine. They had a Californian version and an Italian version, went with the Italian. It was $10, so not sure it'll be that great.

Two more quick notes...

1) The wine selection at Food Lion is pretty disappointing. It's pretty obvious why some people say they don't like wine if this is what they base that on. I also saw someone pick up a four-pack of small bottles. I literally almost teared up because I felt bad for her.

2) My experience at Martins was similar to WalMart, which was shocking. I could have taken pictures of at least four people and uploaded it to PeopleOfWalmart. SCARY!



Oh...And since I was at Total Wine, I succumbed to their good prices and selection. Bought some 2010 Chateau La Papeterie - Montagne-Saint-Emilion Bordeaux for $25, and some 2010 2010 Château La Vieille Cure for $30. Seem like they could be pretty good.

One interesting note that I wanted to share here for input...The guy, who had been to France to do tastings (seemed like he knew what he was talking about), said that these wines really don't get better with age and he recommended that all be drank now. I found that a little...Weird, considering. Does anyone else agree with that in general? I think he was talking about more than 5 years of aging...

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
vaaccess wrote:Wow...It took THREE HOURS to get a non-sweet version! I went to two grocery stores, an ABC store, and then finally ended up at Total Wine. They had a Californian version and an Italian version, went with the Italian. It was $10, so not sure it'll be that great.

Two more quick notes...

1) The wine selection at Food Lion is pretty disappointing. It's pretty obvious why some people say they don't like wine if this is what they base that on. I also saw someone pick up a four-pack of small bottles. I literally almost teared up because I felt bad for her.

2) My experience at Martins was similar to WalMart, which was shocking. I could have taken pictures of at least four people and uploaded it to PeopleOfWalmart. SCARY!



I have, in the past, steered people away from scary bad wine to good wine at a reasonable price in grocery stores.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bahwm


quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
cheron98 wrote:Two words for you.

New. Plumber.

These guys just sound skeevier and skeevier. All contractors I've worked with, regardless of specialty, have always taken a deposit and then not get paid the balance until the work was done to my satisfaction. Always. All of them. That IS usually how it's done.

My dad, who was once upon a time a building contractor, warned me about contractors who want it all up front. He said "avoid at all costs". Because there is FAR too high a chance of them taking the money and running off with it with no work done.


Had FLEX Day at school and just got home around 7:30. So, I haven't been able to reply. This plumbing company did not ask for ANY money upfront. In fact, they discussed payment arrangements with us BEFORE they began the job. Then, we added the water line replacement, which increased the price. I authorized payment using their financing plan. Two days after I authorized this, I received a cc in the mail and contacted the plumber to cancel that payment arrangement since it is not as was presented to us: 0 down; 0% interest if paid off in one year and minimal monthly payments AND payable by my own existing cc. Then, the leak occurred where the waterline joined at the main and over to the tap (or something like that) requiring another dig and more replacement work.

Our house is around 90 years old. The lines are old. I realize that the unexpected can happen in plumbing. I just don't quite understand how this work can be so darn expensive. And, I hate that you really don't know what they're doing down there. It appears like they are pulling their prices out of their proverbial as....

I would NEVER even consider paying a contractor in full before completion of a job. Some money, for supplies is reasonable and then, increments after that and final payment after satisfactory completion of the job.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

vaaccess


quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

Yeah, so, the Chicken Marsala was exceptional! I did go through 3/4 of the bottle of Marsala as I cooked/reduced/cooked/reduced, etc, but it came out amazing.

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
cheron98 wrote:Two words for you.

New. Plumber.

These guys just sound skeevier and skeevier. All contractors I've worked with, regardless of specialty, have always taken a deposit and then not get paid the balance until the work was done to my satisfaction. Always. All of them. That IS usually how it's done.

My dad, who was once upon a time a building contractor, warned me about contractors who want it all up front. He said "avoid at all costs". Because there is FAR too high a chance of them taking the money and running off with it with no work done.



I agree!

klezman


quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman
vaaccess wrote:Yeah, so, the Chicken Marsala was exceptional! I did go through 3/4 of the bottle of Marsala as I cooked/reduced/cooked/reduced, etc, but it came out amazing.



Yup, that's also been my experience. Which is why I also usually just buy the cheap stuff, but then fortify it a little more with sherry (also the cheap stuff).

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

edthebedhead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
MarkDaSpark wrote:As I posted there, surprised that TT hasn't already thrown it in my sig ... she usually surprises me.



Thats a sweet perk.

edthebedhead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
mommadeb1 wrote:I agree!



Yeah, agreed. I think I thought that last week - and recent posts have only solidified my thoughts.

Good plumber - I'd pay double. Knowing it'd be done right the first time, on time, for a clear price/budget.

edthebedhead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

Missed the Big ol' Cornucopia and the little sig bag again! 4 minutes this time - I'd even set an alarm to remind me. Guess I didn't hear it?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
edthebedhead wrote:Missed the Big ol' Cornucopia and the little sig bag again! 4 minutes this time - I'd even set an alarm to remind me. Guess I didn't hear it?



We can only win one a week, so I think I have to wait until Monday to try again.


Edit: So hurry!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
ddeuddeg wrote:I don't generally do this, but a very fine young man could use your vote in a prestigious awards competition. Offensive lineman don't get the same kind of name recognition that QB's, RB's and WR's get. His name is John Urschel. All he's done so far is finish his Bachelor's degree in 3 years with a 4.0 GPA, majoring in Mathematics, his Master's in 1 year with a 4.0, and is now teaching part-time at Penn State while working on his PhD and completing his final year of football eligibility, after red-shirting his freshman year. And he's a really nice guy. Not your typical college jock, but even so, he still projects to be a high round NFL draft pick. Please consider voting for him, using the link in my signature, as fan voting is 1/3 of the decision.

At the risk of becoming annoying with these requests, just mentioning that voting continues through 12/16.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ddeuddeg wrote:At the risk of becoming annoying with these requests, just mentioning that voting continues through 12/16.



x2, will do the tablets at home tonight. so x5 when i'm through.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bhodilee wrote:x2, will do the tablets at home tonight. so x5 when i'm through.

You're the best!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I know it's December, and I know most of you aren't even very big baseball fans, but my Mariners just signed Robinson Cano for 10 years, $240 million. Let the Hot Stove keep burning, time to get back to the playoffs!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ddeuddeg wrote:At the risk of becoming annoying with these requests, just mentioning that voting continues through 12/16.



Too late!


But it does help to include his name as you did in the quoted part.

Others must be getting some votes, I think I noticed he dropped from around 29% to around 27%, He's still ahead by 3% from the two closest to him.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
ddeuddeg wrote:At the risk of becoming annoying with these requests, just mentioning that voting continues through 12/16.


A) I need the reminder.
B) this makes sure the link is easily obtainable. Don't want to have to go back a page in the Pub.

So, I'd say, keep up the daily reminders.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

InFrom


quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom

What a time for the site to be broken! So many things I would like to have in my little cart!

InFrom


quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom
InFrom wrote:What a time for the site to be broken! So many things I would like to have in my little cart!

OK, now it's fixed, but no way I can check out before finding out what will be up at 12 CST -- it's only 15 minutes away!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
InFrom wrote:OK, now it's fixed, but no way I can check out before finding out what will be up at 12 CST -- it's only 15 minutes away!



They even launched early for you!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:A) I need the reminder.
B) this makes sure the link is easily obtainable. Don't want to have to go back a page in the Pub.

So, I'd say, keep up the daily reminders.

Will do. (I came to grips with being annoying long ago.)

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin


quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
ddeuddeg wrote:At the risk of becoming annoying with these requests, just mentioning that voting continues through 12/16.

So I've tried this a couple times now. Page loads, x on John, fill in the captcha, click "Vote Now".

Nothing changes/happens...
Two different browsers, Firefox and IE on win7, same no results.

What's ~supposed~ to happen?

CT

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
rjquillin wrote:So I've tried this a couple times now. Page loads, x on John, fill in the captcha, click "Vote Now".

Nothing changes/happens...
Two different browsers, Firefox and IE on win7, same no results.

What's ~supposed~ to happen?


For me the ballot and captcha disappear and are replaced with some kind of "thanks for voting".

I am using IE on Win 7

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
polarbear22 wrote:For me the ballot and captcha disappear and are replaced with some kind of "thanks for voting".

I am using IE on Win 7



Same using Chrome on 7...

rjquillin


quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin

Aack! My Cavedoni is shipping USPS to FedEx!
Chewing finger nails...
We really need to know how these items are going to ship!

CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
mother wrote:Same using Chrome on 7...

Got two [edit - three] votes in from iPad and mac mini, Win 7 still DOA.

CT

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Busy interviewing resident applicants. Holy cow are there just some amazing people!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote:Will do. (I came to grips with being annoying long ago.)



I needed the reminder. Voted again.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Son of a ... they changed it to only one Big ol' Cornucopia for the 12 days!!! It said week when I won! I demand to win another next week!!!


On a side plumbing note. Replaced my strip sprinkler that wasn't working. Now the other one got jealous and is doing the same thing (spraying water all over). Luckily I bought a 2" (not being sure what size was used), so now I can exchange it for a 4" one.


And did I mention I now need to replace my gas oven?


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Requested daily reminder: Please vote for John. Thanks.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote:Requested daily reminder: Please vote for John. Thanks.



Done.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ddeuddeg wrote:Requested daily reminder: Please vote for John. Thanks.



John who?


Edit: Well, he's up to 28%, and one of the two who were close has dropped to 23%, but AJ is still only 3% behind him.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
ddeuddeg wrote:Requested daily reminder: Please vote for John. Thanks.



Done

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

OK, who else is hoping that the reason the wine holder that is up now is shown with Sake in it is because the Sake bottles were handy. Close to the photographer since he had to shoot them next. Like for tomorrow's offer.

Long time since I had any sake in the house.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

rjquillin


quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin

x-post from main thread

smittypap wrote:Is the sake collection included?

A few of us have been nagging WD for more rice wine, and I don't recall ever seeing this, but could have missed it. Something upcoming?

polarbear22 wrote:OK, who else is hoping that the reason the wine holder that is up now is shown with Sake in it is because the Sake bottles were handy. Close to the photographer since he had to shoot them next. Like for tomorrow's offer.

Long time since I had any sake in the house.

seems unlikely from this however

cmaldoon wrote:Last night:
I drank Monday and it was tasty.
I'm looking forward to posting notes.
CT

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
rjquillin wrote:x-post from main thread


Unlikely because cmaldoon doesn't like sake?

I firmly refuse not to hold out hope. Not only to obtain sake for my own pleasure, but so that Bhodilee can get more sake and post for all of our pleasure.


Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Any of you Scotch drinkers try Monkey Shoulder yet? Blend of three Speyside malts, at a very reasonable price. I am pleased.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
polarbear22 wrote:...so that Bhodilee can get more sake and post for all of our pleasure.



It has been a long time. Maybe we should take up a collection.

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
chemvictim wrote:It has been a long time. Maybe we should take up a collection.


I'm in.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bolligra


quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
rjquillin wrote:Aack! My Cavedoni is shipping USPS to FedEx!
Chewing finger nails...
We really need to know how these items are going to ship!



Are you sure it isn't the other way around? Generally FedEx transports the items and hands off to the USPS for the "last mile". This is named SmartPost.


As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bolligra wrote:Are you sure it isn't the other way around? Generally FedEx transports the items and hands off to the USPS for the "last mile". This is named SmartPost.



He means that he had his fed ex store listed as his shipping address, therefore USPS will be delivering there, rather than fed ex delivering there.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013