kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:What OS?

Windows 7 Light or whatever the truncated version of Windows 7 is for netbooks.

Edit: this probably won't load, so why should I boast?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:Windows 7 Light or whatever the truncated version of Windows 7 is for netbooks.

Edit: this probably won't load, so why should I boast?

if you can, do a run 'cmd' to open a command text prompt window. Then type "traceroute wine.woot.com" and you should see something like this:

ringo:~ rjq$ traceroute wine.woot.com
traceroute to wine.woot.com (107.23.28.28), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 buffalo.setup (192.168.11.1) 10.514 ms 2.089 ms 4.274 ms
2 172.27.35.1 (172.27.35.1) 4.946 ms 6.474 ms 3.566 ms
3 10.142.0.1 (10.142.0.1) 13.803 ms 12.064 ms 12.408 ms
4 elcncmtk08-gex010000.sd.sd.cox.net (68.6.12.20) 12.341 ms 13.073 ms 11.710 ms
5 elcnsysc01-tec-141.sd.sd.cox.net (68.6.8.58) 18.363 ms 12.019 ms 16.995 ms
6 fed1sysc01-gex0901.sd.sd.cox.net (68.6.8.100) 12.537 ms 15.887 ms 14.651 ms
7 68.1.4.133 (68.1.4.133) 82.266 ms * *
8 * 72.21.221.9 (72.21.221.9) 125.933 ms
72.21.221.116 (72.21.221.116) 81.396 ms
9 72.21.220.33 (72.21.220.33) 88.228 ms 80.007 ms
72.21.220.49 (72.21.220.49) 82.729 ms
10 72.21.222.141 (72.21.222.141) 80.015 ms 80.061 ms 83.879 ms
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * *^C

this was done from a mac and OSX, but you can see the delay in ms for various routers.
Woot doesn't reply to pings, so it will never fully resolve, but if there is a huge delay in the path, you can see it.

CT

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom
otolith wrote:I see a bit.ly/ link on his shoulder, but can't figure it out...oh well.

I think the video is hilarious.

It's darned hard to read the url, but in any case the bags associated with it are long gone. It will be a hoot to see where they put the next link.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
edthebedhead wrote:Fair, but I'm not sure you have much leverage over mafia actions... probably a pretty constant average trauma rate year over year.

Unfortunately, yes.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom

How many pubs are there this week? My head is spinning!

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
kylemittskus wrote:I'm still having issues with wine.woot (and other woot sites) loading slowly or not at all. Is anyone else having this issue?

TT, any thoughts?

I've had this issue with all woot sites/pages, intermittently but over a long period of time. Sometimes a simple reload will kick in the connection, other times it hangs long enough to return a server error. It can happen on any woot page but it's more common when accessing my account information or going through the forced sign-in to view my purchases. The other pages usually load eventually but the account and sign-in related pages are the ones that tend to return server errors. Too bad we couldn't at least be entertained by the piano playing cat like we used to....

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
InFrom wrote:How many pubs are there this week? My head is spinning!

Just this one. Rj posted something in the old Pub a while back, linked to it, and LarryLars responded there to it! Bad RJ!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

I bought the Breville Juicer that was up on woot! on Wed. Here it is Sat. and it is expected to be delivered to day! woot! I am getting into this stuff. I'm not sure how this juicer thing will be--I've got some learning to do!

I just bought a 4 qt basket of peaches that are seconds from our farmers' market. These are still good peaches, but they might have a few dings on them from hail or maybe, they fell from the tree or whatever. They will be perfect to be frozen for smoothies! Our peach farmer said to blanch them--put a few peaches in boiling water for about a minute to minute and a half and then, plunge them into ice water. Peel the peaches right away and slice. Mix with lemon juice , orange juice or any citrus juice that would work in the smoothie, then, pack the amount that you would use in a smoothie in a ziploc style sandwich bag. Then, put several of these sandwich bags into a large freezer bag. Lay flat in the freezer and you'll have them for whenever for smoothies! Simple.

Edit: I blanched the peaches for around a minute--you don't want to cook them. This is a great, easy way to peel the peaches. You want to make sure the water stays boiling. It slows down when you add the room temperature peaches. Also, keep the ice water, ice cold for ease in peeling.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:I bought the Breville Juicer that was up on woot! on Wed. Here it is Sat. and it is expected to be delivered to day! woot! I am getting into this stuff. I'm not sure how this juicer thing will be--I've got some learning to do!

I just bought a 4 qt basket of peaches that are seconds from our farmers' market. These are still good peaches, but they might have a few dings on them from hail or maybe, they fell from the tree or whatever. They will be perfect to be frozen for smoothies! Our peach farmer said to blanch them--put a few peaches in boiling water for about a minute to minute and a half and then, plunge them into ice water. Peel the peaches right away and slice. Mix with lemon juice , orange juice or any citrus juice that would work in the smoothie, then, pack the amount that you would use in a smoothie in a ziploc style sandwich bag. Then, put several of these sandwich bags into a large freezer bag. Lay flat in the freezer and you'll have them for whenever for smoothies! Simple.

once again.. you are amazing!!

mommadeb1

quick question... when storing my wine in the styrofoam cooler, do I want to have the wine upright or on its side?

otolith

mommadeb1 wrote:quick question... when storing my wine in the styrofoam cooler, do I want to have the wine upright or on its side?

Quick answer:
Side or upside down.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:once again.. you are amazing!!

Whaaaaaat? This is simple! The same kind of plan works for removing skins from tomatoes.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:quick question... when storing my wine in the styrofoam cooler, do I want to have the wine upright or on its side?

Correction ... if the wine is a screw top, it doesn't matter. If the wine is cork, you want it to remain wet, so sideways or upside down is the correct way to store it.

Sparkling wines can be either/or, but you want the cork to also remain wet, so you want to turn it on it's side periodically.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Whaaaaaat? This is simple! The same kind of plan works for removing skins from tomatoes.

I know... but, you running to the farmers market etc...wish we had something closer....

mommadeb1

otolith wrote:Quick answer:
Side or upside down.

silly me.... didn't think about upside down!!

edit: just plaid wine tetris and got my case of pedroncelli and the 7bottles I got this past weekend...all into my wine fridges!!! yea me

bahwm

It took me about 50 minutes to process all of the peaches by myself--including labeling and bagging and cleaning up--while ddeuddeg went to BJs & Wegman's to do some back to school stock-up. I also have a couple of bags of peach & OJ juice in the freezer for future use.

Too much like work to clean the juicer that arrived today and figure it out! We decided to make a smoothie with some Crenshaw melon, 3 peaches, a plum, a frozen banana, a handful of fresh blackberries, some almond milk, a little agave nectar & some ice. This one came out much thinner than any of the others that I've made. I didn't allow for the fact that the melon is mostly water. Next time, I'll add some Greek yogurt to make it thicker. Good flavors, though.

mommadeb1

aggg mr. mommadeb had to check the cc purchases online to make sure they were our charges.. was hoping he wouldn't get to see those for a while... he was saying they must not be all our charges from wineries!! ha ha

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
mommadeb1 wrote:aggg mr. mommadeb had to check the cc purchases online to make sure they were our charges.. was hoping he wouldn't get to see those for a while... he was saying they must not be all our charges from wineries!! ha ha

I've had that same experience every time we've gone wine tasting. Surely all that isn't wine purchases! Ooops.

rjquillin

losthighwayz, you got email

CT

mommadeb1

chemvictim wrote:I've had that same experience every time we've gone wine tasting. Surely all that isn't wine purchases! Ooops.

it doesn't seem like much at the time of tastings!! but add up all the purchases... uh oh...

bahwm

Hey, guys! If you're on FB, be sure to ask Jeff Stai to be your friend--he's looking to friend more wooters!

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Hey, guys! If you're on FB, be sure to ask Jeff Stai to be your friend--he's looking to friend more wooters!

already done!

rjquillin

bahwm wrote:Hey, guys! If you're on FB, be sure to ask Jeff Stai to be your friend--he's looking to friend more wooters!

He and Stillman are both rather chatty..

CT

MarkDaSpark

Switchback Cab, Merlot, and PS allocations are out.

Anyone need any?

otolith

Our kids' school moved to a new location, and they are also building on to the school, too. Well, they're behind schedule (not that big of a deal), but holy cow is it chaos over there. Poor teachers are working very hard to try to get everything moved in to their classrooms (they'll be using the carts to begin the year). I went over and helped them move some tables and some boxes, and still don't know how they're going to be ready in a couple days!

--John Muir

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
otolith wrote:Our kids' school moved to a new location, and they are also building on to the school, too. Well, they're behind schedule (not that big of a deal), but holy cow is it chaos over there. Poor teachers are working very hard to try to get everything moved in to their classrooms (they'll be using the carts to begin the year). I went over and helped them move some tables and some boxes, and still don't know how they're going to be ready in a couple days!

As if the job isn't hard enough, especially at beginning of the year. Good luck to them, and your kids.

And post the wine choice already. I drink vicariously through FB.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:Switchback Cab, Merlot, and PS allocations are out.

Anyone need any?

Yes, but I have to pass. Thanks for the offer, though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bahwm

otolith wrote:Our kids' school moved to a new location, and they are also building on to the school, too. Well, they're behind schedule (not that big of a deal), but holy cow is it chaos over there. Poor teachers are working very hard to try to get everything moved in to their classrooms (they'll be using the carts to begin the year). I went over and helped them move some tables and some boxes, and still don't know how they're going to be ready in a couple days!

Thank you, on their behalf, for your help!

It'll all come together. Of course, they and the cleaning staff will be working their butts off for the next week or two--one of the toughest times of the school year!

I found out that I may be in 5 different classrooms--instead of two, possibly three. However, that is subject to change, since I am scheduled to teach French at the same time someone else is teaching Social Studies in the same room! I also have a study hall at the far end of the next wing, sandwiched between two classes! (I can't remember if I posted this before. Sorry. ) Our new AP says that there is a glitch in the scheduler. I just want to know where I am scheduled to be so that I can start to plan accordingly and talk with my fellow roomies and try to figure out where to meet with kids!

And then, when I went to school on Thursday, I found a bunch of my materials that I had stored, out of the way of the cleaning staff and custodians, out in the hall, as if out to the trash! My custodians know me well and decided to ask me before they threw anything out. They told me that they did not do it. That only leaves my roommate in my homebase room. I sure hope we'll be able to work this out. Things are going to be difficult enough and stressful enough this year without dealing with additional nonsense! I don't want to be on pins and needles all year with this woman. I have let my principal know about this--he wants me to try to talk with her first and keep him posted.

Please remind me if it sounds like I need a mental health day! Now to go shopping to OfficeMax to purchase some stuff to make my cart more personal and get a 25% Teacher's Discount! Yippee! (Thanks for listening. )

otolith

polarbear22 wrote:As if the job isn't hard enough, especially at beginning of the year. Good luck to them, and your kids.

And post the wine choice already. I drink vicariously through FB.

Go back and look a little more closely. There's an update with a different picture.

--John Muir

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Thank you, on their behalf, for your help!

It'll all come together. Of course, they and the cleaning staff will be working their butts off for the next week or two--one of the toughest times of the school year!

I found out that I may be in 5 different classrooms--instead of two, possibly three. However, that is subject to change, since I am scheduled to teach French at the same time someone else is teaching Social Studies in the same room! I also have a study hall at the far end of the next wing, sandwiched between two classes! (I can't remember if I posted this before. Sorry. ) Our new AP says that there is a glitch in the scheduler. I just want to know where I am scheduled to be so that I can start to plan accordingly and talk with my fellow roomies and try to figure out where to meet with kids!

And then, when I went to school on Thursday, I found a bunch of my materials that I had stored, out of the way of the cleaning staff and custodians, out in the hall, as if out to the trash! My custodians know me well and decided to ask me before they threw anything out. They told me that they did not do it. That only leaves my roommate in my homebase room. I sure hope we'll be able to work this out. Things are going to be difficult enough and stressful enough this year without dealing with additional nonsense! I don't want to be on pins and needles all year with this woman. I have let my principal know about this--he wants me to try to talk with her first and keep him posted.

Please remind me if it sounds like I need a mental health day! Now to go shopping to OfficeMax to purchase some stuff to make my cart more personal and get a 25% Teacher's Discount! Yippee! (Thanks for listening. )

good thing you went in, and you are on good term with the custodial staff!! Hopefully it is all a misunderstanding and the person in your shared room, didn't realize you are sharing a room...
When do you guys start?
we have had our 10 day count. Will find out tue/wed how we will have to split classes... so far, we think we will not loose any more teachers/staff... but that could all change by this week...

polarbear22

otolith wrote:Go back and look a little more closely. There's an update with a different picture.

Wow, what a night it must have been.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

polarbear22

Prepped three racks of pork ribs for smoking tomorrow. Main reason I wanted a smoker, and first time with ribs. Wanted to throw in some beef ribs, but none at the store today. May try my other place tomorrow. Call and see if they have any beef ribs. Don't want to waste the open space.

And thanks to Bowtie for getting me started down this road. And somehow, Doc O also was able to play an enabling role.

I have 24 hours to select a wine to pair with the upcoming great meal.

My Cellar

rjquillin

otolith wrote:Go back and look a little more closely. There's an update with a different picture.

doc, pm

CT

rjquillin

*** Short Notice ***

WineSmith coming to LA

I was just exchanging some email with Clark regarding the PF wines, and he mentioned he'd be in the LA area this coming Wednesday and would like to get together with other local wooters. I didn't get details as I'm in SD, but Klez or Losthighwayz may have additional details.

CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

I bet the kids will get to learn lots of new ways to use the the word schweinerei

polarbear22 wrote:Prepped three racks of pork ribs for smoking tomorrow.

Awesome.

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman

Addition to DocOt/Sparky's points - doesn't matter unless it's going to be for a long time. If you're talking a few months, especially in your humid neck of the woods, you've got no worries either way. If you're talking years that way, then as they said.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
klezman wrote:Addition to DocOt/Sparky's points - doesn't matter unless it's going to be for a long time. If you're talking a few months, especially in your humid neck of the woods, you've got no worries either way. If you're talking years that way, then as they said.

+1

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

otolith

rjquillin wrote:doc, pm

Did you find me?

--John Muir

rjquillin

otolith wrote:Did you find me?

sigh....
gotta make a decoder ring
yes.

CT

polarbear22

mother wrote:Awesome.

You're within driving distance. And have my phone number.

My Cellar