polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
zTimothyBz wrote:Sparky still has no idea how many bottles he has.

I visited the locker last Saturday. I received three or four more boxes of wine for him and added them to the unopened stack. It's taller than me, now.

And that's at least a case taller than me.

Is this Sparky's version of a 401k?

EDIT: Doc O. (Sparky already got his props in this post.)

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

I'm excited... I have 4 pineapple plants that have pineapples on them....now the interesting thing is will I get to harvest them, or will the wild critters eat them Oh joy! Rapture! I got a brain!

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin
mommadeb1 wrote:I'm excited... I have 4 pineapple plants that have pineapples on them....now the interesting thing is will I get to harvest them, or will the wild critters eat them first?

Put a chicken wire circle around them. That's what we do here to combat rabbits. Gophers don't much care and just ignore it, unless you've also done a root basket.

CT

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:Put a chicken wire circle around them. That's what we do here to combat rabbits. Gophers don't much care and just ignore it, unless you've also done a root basket.

I think the raccoons or deer got them last time...oh well... we have been lucky and gotten to enjoy some in the past. I just have never had 4 growing at the same time. We take all the tops from the fresh pineapple we eat and put them in the front of the house... kina cool looking... we have lots..

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Went to Fedex to pick up my Pedroncelli. Fedex girl had accidentally locked herself out of the building.

I think maybe it's not mean to be.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
chemvictim wrote:Went to Fedex to pick up my Pedroncelli. Fedex girl had accidentally locked herself out of the building.

Hahahahabahahabahaha!!!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
chemvictim wrote:Went to Fedex to pick up my Pedroncelli. Fedex girl had accidentally locked herself out of the building.

Too funny! Better luck soon!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bahwm wrote:Don't forget to vote! Vassar-Warner Home
Currently at 213.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

But did she finally get in? Did you pick up your Ped?

CT

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

There's *almost* a deluxe Madeira tasting in San Francisco the weekend of May 18th.

I sent a PM to Joatmon, but there's no indication he's seen it. So if someone has his email, please ask him to look at this thread:

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/viewtopic.php?t=14775

And if anyone else is wild enough to want to be part of a Madeira tasting where I'm contributing a 1920 and an 1862, please check it out.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

polarbear22

zTimothyBz wrote:There's *almost* a deluxe Madeira tasting in San Francisco the weekend of May 18th.

I sent a PM to Joatmon, but there's no indication he's seen it. So if someone has his email, please ask him to look at this thread:

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/viewtopic.php?t=14775

And if anyone else is wild enough to want to be part of a Madeira tasting where I'm contributing a 1920 and an 1862, please check it out.

Either you or Joatmon had posted a place to get a set of three Mareira styles for a neophyte. Do you recall the place? They didn't ship to CT, so I couldn't pursue.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
polarbear22 wrote:Either you or Joatmon had posted a place to get a set of three Mareira styles for a neophyte. Do you recall the place? They didn't ship to CT, so I couldn't pursue.

Really?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

polarbear22

bahwm wrote:Really?

Well that was pre-wootlegging. Now, I no longer am stymied by such restrictions. Thus, requesting an update.

I probably should have added that note initially.

My Cellar

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
polarbear22 wrote:Either you or Joatmon had posted a place to get a set of three Mareira styles for a neophyte. Do you recall the place? They didn't ship to CT, so I couldn't pursue.

Was it this?

http://www.rarewineco.com/wine/rwc-historic-series-madeira-set-4-375ml-bottl/

That would be ironic, since Mannie Berk - the owner of the Rare Wine Company - lives in Connecticut.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

chemvictim

rjquillin wrote:But did she finally get in? Did you pick up your Ped?

Yep! Now to put most of it in the wine locker and (literally) forget about it. So many wise wooters say it's much better after a year or two, but I've never held on that long.

Has anyone tried the Friends white?

MarkDaSpark

In the Madeira thread, this post about the Rare Wine Company (next to WCC's warehouse!) in Sonoma, and linking to their Historic Series.

I also bumped the thread using zTimBz's original post.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

chemvictim wrote:Yep!
Has anyone tried the Friends white?

Nope, but, fwiw, didn't care much at all for the red.

[edit] this was the 2010 picked up on tour. Unscrewed, tasted, gave away. Perhaps I should heed my own advice and forget about these for awhile, but they were marketed as drink-now.

CT

chemvictim

rjquillin wrote:Nope, but, fwiw, didn't care much at all for the red.

I like the red, for the price. Although...I think I liked the previous vintage better than the current one.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

1st set of ribs are in the smoker!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chemvictim

rjquillin wrote:Nope, but, fwiw, didn't care much at all for the red.

[edit] this was the 2010 picked up on tour. Unscrewed, tasted, gave away. Perhaps I should heed my own advice and forget about these for awhile, but they were marketed as drink-now.

What I have now is the 2011. I'm not sure, but I think the one I had before, the one I liked better, was a 2009. It wasn't a special wine, but it was pleasant.

chemvictim

otolith wrote:1st set of ribs are in the smoker!

I want some!

mommadeb1

too funny!!

otolith

chemvictim wrote:I want some!

Well, when you move here, I'll share with you.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

polarbear22

zTimothyBz wrote:Was it this?

Rare Wine Co. Madeira

That would be ironic, since Mannie Berk - the owner of the Rare Wine Company - lives in Connecticut.

I think that is the place. Name sounds right. Maybe I can work out a wootleg with the owner?

My Cellar

polarbear22

otolith wrote:1st set of ribs are in the smoker!

Way to go. Six more weeks for me. I think/hope.

My Cellar

otolith

polarbear22 wrote:Way to go. Six more weeks for me. I think/hope.

I should be able to give you a good idea by then...I think the initial build quality is ok. We'll see how it functions. Will do chicken next weekend.

--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:too funny!!

rjquillin

Ever get your house bagged for bugs?
And had to bag all your edibles?
I had absolutely no concept of how much was stocked away in the larders and pantry's, and how little fit into each of those Nylofume bags.

This is seriously diminishing my weekend wine consumption time.

CT

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote: Will do chicken next weekend.

Well, what a coincidence - I'll be in town next weekend! And I'll be stopping by your place to pick up the wootlegged Scott Harvey Old Vine Zin. Hmmmmm....

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
coynedj wrote:Well, what a coincidence - I'll be in town next weekend! And I'll be stopping by your place to pick up the wootlegged Scott Harvey Old Vine Zin. Hmmmmm....

SCORE!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

otolith wrote:I should be able to give you a good idea by then...I think the initial build quality is ok. We'll see how it functions. Will do chicken next weekend.

find a cheap Chard (barefoot, seriously) and use it in the water pan with the bird. If you wanna get really fancy you can dip some paper towels in the Chard and stick it in the bird. That's good also. Though, I 'd suggest a better chard if you're doing that.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

otolith

bhodilee wrote:find a cheap Chard (barefoot, seriously) and use it in the water pan with the bird. If you wanna get really fancy you can dip some paper towels in the Chard and stick it in the bird. That's good also. Though, I 'd suggest a better chard if you're doing that.

Will brine the bird, and put chard in the water pan. Will also need to figure out a chicken rub, too.

Coyne--sounds like a plan, to get your wine (-1). We'll figure out the details later.

--John Muir

bhodilee

otolith wrote:Will brine the bird, and put chard in the water pan. Will also need to figure out a chicken rub, too.

Coyne--sounds like a plan, to get your wine (-1). We'll figure out the details later.

I know it sounds odd, but after you smoke the bird, take the drippings from the pan and make a gravy with it. It's oddly delicious, smoked gravy.

chemvictim

rjquillin wrote:Ever get your house bagged for bugs?
And had to bag all your edibles?
I had absolutely no concept of how much was stocked away in the larders and pantry's, and how little fit into each of those Nylofume bags.

This is seriously diminishing my weekend wine consumption time.

awwww maybe next weekend will be better

rjquillin

chemvictim wrote:awwww maybe next weekend will be better

Thanks Vikane, err, Chem. Needed that, you must have done this, or known someone.

CT