winesmith

quality posts: 32 Private Messages winesmith
coynedj wrote:You are hereby invited to the Minnesota Woot gathering on March 22.

In Minneapolis.

God, what a great wine town. Very knowledgeable and cosmopolitan. Unfortunately I am in a barbershop quartet contest in Lodi that day, but send me some contact info to clark@winemaking411.com and I'll let you know when I'm in the area.

Travels I know about: New Mexico and Miami in April; Ohio, Philly, Boston and Nova Scotia in July. Book tours all summer all over. Will pack my guitar. Anybody want to hook up?

deecue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deecue
tdedek wrote:We were always paying tax before, but it was built into the price. Now they have lowered the price slightly and charge separate tax so everyone only pays their due share instead of non tax or low tax states covering for the states that have higher tax rates.

interesting.. when did all this go down? i have purchases just a couple weeks ago that didn't show any tax..

thanks for the info..

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

Fellow enablers... Due to the overwhelming response from the winemaker and glowing comments from Scott Harvey, Petite s. and all others, I pushed the big yellow button... In for 1... I hope you guys are right......

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
deecue wrote:interesting.. when did all this go down? i have purchases just a couple weeks ago that didn't show any tax..

thanks for the info..

It was a dark and stormy night...February 22, 2013,...when a dastardly deed was sprung on an unsuspecting public.

deecue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deecue
InFrom wrote:It was a dark and stormy night...February 22, 2013,...when a dastardly deed was sprung on an unsuspecting public.

thanks for the link! interesting discussion..

much appreciated!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
winesmith wrote:God, what a great wine town. Very knowledgeable and cosmopolitan. Unfortunately I am in a barbershop quartet contest in Lodi that day, but send me some contact info to clark@winemaking411.com and I'll let you know when I'm in the area.

Travels I know about: New Mexico and Miami in April; Ohio, Philly, Boston and Nova Scotia in July. Book tours all summer all over. Will pack my guitar. Anybody want to hook up?

Our Ohio group might be able to try and throw something together for July! I'm actually in Toledo, but most are in the Cleveland area.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

winesmith

North316 wrote:Our Ohio group might be able to try and throw something together for July! I'm actually in Toledo, but most are in the Cleveland area.

Near Cleveland is where I'll be for about a week following July 13th. Let's do it.

greeneggsandham

quality posts: 2 Private Messages greeneggsandham

Great comments and SPEBQSA?

Had to buy a few.

mibuwolf83

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mibuwolf83
winesmith wrote:God, what a great wine town. Very knowledgeable and cosmopolitan. Unfortunately I am in a barbershop quartet contest in Lodi that day, but send me some contact info to clark@winemaking411.com and I'll let you know when I'm in the area.

I can meet you in Miami. Will you be at a B&N signing autographs? If I buy your book, would you sign one of my bottles? I'll take an autographed book, too!

mibuwolf83

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mibuwolf83

I pulled the trigger. I'm in for 2. Now to do some more wine shopping...*sigh*

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 76 Private Messages PetiteSirah
winesmith wrote:A tough question. Many winemakers like to bottle whites and roses with slightly elevated subliminal levels of CO2, which is an acid and gives a tingle. Minerality doesn't really occur on the sides of the tongue, but we would need to taste together to be sure. (We should do that!) But this Chardonnay has low CO2, so you'll have one example that's clear cut.

It's only an acid when it dissolves in water or aqueous solutions, because some of it becomes carbonic acid :-) (in larger quantities under pressure, it's called carbonation)

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

winesmith

mibuwolf83 wrote:I can meet you in Miami. Will you be at a B&N signing autographs? If I buy your book, would you sign one of my bottles? I'll take an autographed book, too!

Unfortunately the book won't be out til June, but we are doing some pretty interesting things at Florida International University (where I'm a Professor) right around May 1st. In particular, you must not miss the Wine and Music seminar I'll give. Anybody that wants to send me their email address I can put on the mailing list for this event at the newly established Florida Wine Academy, or you can just check the website at http://bit.ly/wuECmx. We'll be setting the exact date later this week.

I come to FIU several times a year, and we'll hook up. The book will also be for sale on winemaking411.com and I can sign a copy you purchase there.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 163 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Hey Clark! Thanks for your active participation today. I enjoyed meeting you at Dark and Delicious and tasting your wines.

I had no idea you were a barbershopper.... (I was too back in my SoCal days...)

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

winesmith

neilfindswine wrote:I had no idea you were a barbershopper.... (I was too back in my SoCal days...)

Let's just say that whether it's wine or music, I'm really into creating ringing harmony. You guys let me know how I'm doing when you pop those corks.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 54 Private Messages losthighwayz
tytiger58 wrote:If your coming over on the 30th I will split mine with you.

Sounds perfect. Thanks.

"The older I get the better I was"

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
losthighwayz wrote:I recall that recently Kyle and a few others commented on their dislike for wax for various reasons, among them making the bottle difficult to open. I agree completely. I find these enclosures visually offensive, difficult to handle, and as merely a marketing scheme..IMO they do not add anything to the wine though I may be wrong...

I have a couple of bottles of PS I'm planning on drinking on my deathbed (next tuesday probably), that are dipped in wax and I think they look great. Does the wax do anything? I have no clue, but I adore the look.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

ddeuddeg wrote:I've started to get funny looks at both the FedEx and UPS locations.

try wearing pants next time

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

winesmith

bhodilee wrote:I have a couple of bottles of PS I'm planning on drinking on my deathbed (next tuesday probably), that are dipped in wax and I think they look great. Does the wax do anything? I have no clue, but I adore the look.

Not really, apart from keeping dirt off the cork and discouraging cork borer beetles from burrowing into your wine, which does happen. I personally do not care for the naked look, because it's not so easy to tell if some clerk spilled soap, rat poison or bug killer on the outside surface of the cork and bottle lip. But there's no oxygen seal or anything like that.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fredrinaldi

4 pages of comments and not sold out? Whats going on wooters? just chatting today?

bhodilee

winesmith wrote:Yeah, okay, I hear you, guys. The thing is, I love this bowling pin bottle, and its top is so fat that nobody sells capsules for it. I personally like the had-dipped appearance that signals a small lot production.

Frankly, I don't think there's a winemaker left on the planet who wouldn't prefer to put everything in screwcaps. I took this wine to a consulting gig with 30 winemakers in Australia, and they didn't have a single corkscrew between them. Some of the younger ones didn't even know what is was.

However, with all the heat I get as a wine technology guy, this ultra-traditional look seemed a better idea at the time. Now that I'm among friends (you guys), I suppose I could relax.

Is there anybody out there who actually likes the look I'm using?

I dig it, it's visually striking and makes the ladies weak in the knees, and lord knows I need all the help I can get there, ever since I broke up with Tanya Harding.

bhodilee

tytiger58 wrote:I just hit it with a blow torch for a couple of seconds and it come off nice and clean

we think a lot alike, that scares me.

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:If your coming over on the 30th I will split mine with you.

Is that the set I just got for you? Because if not I need to find another taker for the second set

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mrn1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrn1
winesmith wrote:Near Cleveland is where I'll be for about a week following July 13th. Let's do it.

What brings you to the Cleveland area? Business, education, or just plain fun? And what part of NE OH will you be in for that week?

winesmith

mrn1 wrote:What brings you to the Cleveland area? Business, education, or just plain fun? And what part of NE OH will you be in for that week?

My girlfriend's family is in Avon (Duct Tape Capital of the World) and I'll shoot down to Lima one day for a recording session of an original song for my CD with my 1970 folk band from Boston (surely you remember Pope Pius XII).

Will also undoubtedly visit Markko Winery in Conneault - (they've made the densest Chardonnay on earth for four decades) and perhaps Firelands in Sandusky (righteous Gewurz grown on an island in Lake Erie).

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58
klezman wrote:Is that the set I just got for you? Because if not I need to find another taker for the second set

That is the one.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg
winesmith wrote:Well, I am learning from you guys too. I certainly don't want anybody slicing themselves open on my behalf. I really recommend just ignoring the wax and going through it with your corkscrew. It may be a little messy, but it's safe. I do it every day.

It's hard for me to think of these convenience issues. From my point of view, it took ten years to bring this wine to you so we could share an hour together, and if the opening of this archaic a minute or two, I guess I'm kind of pleased about that.

One mustn't underestimate the value of presentation and ritual. I love the convenience of my iPod, but frankly I felt the album art that came with vinyl was half the fun, so I look at an MP3 as a ripoff in terms of intimacy with the artist.

Things happen really slow in winemaking, and that's a good thing. I actually wrote a song on my CD (released later this year) about this issue called "If I Could Be The Wine." Invite me to a party and I'll play it for you.

You had me at presentation and ritual. I must admit this is way above my white price point...but I'm very intrigued. In for two and you are officially invited to my next wine gathering in the Northern Catskills.

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

mrn1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrn1
winesmith wrote:My girlfriend's family is in Avon (Duct Tape Capital of the World) and I'll shoot down to Lima one day for a recording session of an original song for my CD with my 1970 folk band from Boston (surely you remember Pope Pius XII).

Will also undoubtedly visit Markko Winery in Conneault - (they've made the densest Chardonnay on earth for four decades) and perhaps Firelands in Sandusky (righteous Gewurz grown on an island in Lake Erie).

I must say I starting reading the blog this morning around 4AM (couldn't sleep so why not Woot!) and I must say I learned more about wine in some of your earliest post than I did in all of '12.
There are a bunch of Ohio Wooters getting together w/ Scott & Jana Harvey inApril...we'll be sure to see who is interested in getting together w/ you and your vino!

bsevern

quality posts: 108 Private Messages bsevern
tdedek wrote:We were always paying tax before, but it was built into the price. Now they have lowered the price slightly and charge separate tax so everyone only pays their due share instead of non tax or low tax states covering for the states that have higher tax rates.

Actually it was the wineries that were paying the taxes. Did they build the cost into the wine, some did and some didn't after speaking with several of the wineries that've done business with WCC.

Kainc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kainc
winesmith wrote:Well, I am learning from you guys too. I certainly don't want anybody slicing themselves open on my behalf. I really recommend just ignoring the wax and going through it with your corkscrew. It may be a little messy, but it's safe. I do it every day.

It's hard for me to think of these convenience issues. From my point of view, it took ten years to bring this wine to you so we could share an hour together, and if the opening of this archaic a minute or two, I guess I'm kind of pleased about that.

One mustn't underestimate the value of presentation and ritual. I love the convenience of my iPod, but frankly I felt the album art that came with vinyl was half the fun, so I look at an MP3 as a ripoff in terms of intimacy with the artist.

Things happen really slow in winemaking, and that's a good thing. I actually wrote a song on my CD (released later this year) about this issue called "If I Could Be The Wine." Invite me to a party and I'll play it for you.

Fwiw, I don't mind the wax one bit, corkscrew right through it. WISH I did it every day! Cheers, in for 1.

wordek

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek

I *love* age-worthy, complex white wines and the wine-maker's passion is clearly apparent in the small book of comments he has posted here - so I'm dying to try these...

...but once again NH does not get any shipping love!

Anyone in VT/ME willing to consider a wootleg or a split?

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58
klezman wrote:Is that the set I just got for you? Because if not I need to find another taker for the second set

Wait..you did buy me a full set right??

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

jmdavidson

quality posts: 47 Private Messages jmdavidson

With this type of sealing, can the bottle be stored vertically?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
jmdavidson wrote:With this type of sealing, can the bottle be stored vertically?

I would guess not.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
winesmith wrote:Unfortunately the book won't be out til June, but we are doing some pretty interesting things at Florida International University (where I'm a Professor) right around May 1st. In particular, you must not miss the Wine and Music seminar I'll give. Anybody that wants to send me their email address I can put on the mailing list for this event at the newly established Florida Wine Academy, or you can just check the website at http://bit.ly/wuECmx. We'll be setting the exact date later this week.

I come to FIU several times a year, and we'll hook up. The book will also be for sale on winemaking411.com and I can sign a copy you purchase there.

I live in Florida and didn't know that place existed... too bad it wasn't closer...

rpm

quality posts: 163 Private Messages rpm

I cannot believe this is not sold out yet!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 180 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

winesmith wrote:My girlfriend's family is in Avon (Duct Tape Capital of the World) and I'll shoot down to Lima one day for a recording session of an original song for my CD with my 1970 folk band from Boston (surely you remember Pope Pius XII).

" the most interesting man in the world.."

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Now I know why the pub is dead!

I'm in, dammit!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

quality posts: 152 Private Messages rjquillin
otolith wrote:Now I know why the pub is dead!

I'm in, dammit!

hehehe.
Did WD buy the entire lot or something? I'm in for two, and so it seems are many others. What is this, mass produced commercial plonk they have tanker train car full of?

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:hehehe.
Did WD buy the entire lot or something? I'm in for two, and so it seems are many others. What is this, mass produced commercial plonk they have tanker train car full of?

I heard it's Barefoot and it won double gold.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 152 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:I heard it's Barefoot and it won double gold.

I thought they just bio-stomped the grapes.

CT