losthighwayz

quality posts: 82 Private Messages losthighwayz
losthighwayz wrote:2012 Rockus Basket of Chocolatekus delivered today. Proving travel shock is a conspiracy!

Edit: the cork had the woot exclamation mark on it...adding to my conspiracy theory...

Basket of what??? Was this auto correct or a woot filter?

Rockus Basket of Chocolatekus!

"The older I get the better I was"

rjquillin

quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin
awl85 wrote:2008 Roessler Sanford & Benedict

Got a single bottle of this I'm hording.
How was it?

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin
tytiger58 wrote:Bout time! And I think it's off the wagon

c'mon, he's Canadian.
They're, well, a bit different.

at least he's gonna show for the Corison!
And he's got those new house payments to deal with as well,
and an akachan to boot.

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 69 Private Messages jmdavidson

2001 Lewelling CS St. Helena

tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:c'mon, he's Canadian.
They're, well, a bit different.

at least he's gonna show for the Corison!
And he's got those new house payments to deal with as well,
and an akachan to boot.

Umm money is not my concern with the Corison tasting, I guess at this point in my life I'm a social drinker emphasis on drinker

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cortot20

quality posts: 295 Private Messages cortot20

Lagunitas - The Waldo's special Ale
At 11.9% it's a single beer and I'm goooood.

CT

tytiger58

I'm off the wagon Continuing my week with Arianna tonight the 2013 Arianna Occhipinti Il Frappato with leftovers (sausage onions peppers) man the nose on these wines is incredible! On the PNP juicy red fruits mineral spice and a whole bunch of grip.

awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85
rjquillin wrote:Got a single bottle of this I'm hording.
How was it?

Suffice to say that I'm sad to only try this one once. I remember the peregrine being very bright and fruity while this one was on a different part of spectrum with more earthy notes. Also I think there were more tobacco or leather notes as this one opened up so I recommend giving it time to breathe if you prefer those notes.

awl85

losthighwayz wrote:Basket of what??? Was this auto correct or a woot filter?

Rockus Basket of Chocolatekus!

I saw that CT notes were not especially favorable toward this vintage. What did you think?

tytiger58

awl85 wrote:Suffice to say that I'm sad to only try this one once. I remember the peregrine being very bright and fruity while this one was on a different part of spectrum with more earthy notes. Also I think there were more tobacco or leather notes as this one opened up so I recommend giving it time to breathe if you prefer those notes.

Tobacco and leather in a Pinot?? That's different, is syrah in the blend?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 257 Private Messages kylemittskus

2005 Wellington Syrah

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

losthighwayz

Having a couple over...

Bubbles with prosciutto, melon, mozzarella skewers

2015 LMR Sauv Blanc paired with Manchego and ceviche

Tercero Grenache paired with tacos ahogados

2012 LaMontagne Pinot Noir Santa Rita hills paired with grilled salmon and quinoa salad

2013 Between the Lines Vidal ice wine (thanks deudegg and better half)...what should we pair the ice wine with? Does it go with a cigar? Or a mango cake?

Plus whatever wines they bring over!

Edit: they brought-
2014 Carhartt Cabernet grassini vineyard
2015 foxen canyon 7200 SB Vogelzang vineyard

kylemittskus

Not cigars. Mango cake, yes.

losthighwayz

kylemittskus wrote:Not cigars. Mango cake, yes.

Cool. Should I serve it cold? First time trying ice wine!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 69 Private Messages jmdavidson
losthighwayz wrote:Having a couple over...

Bubbles with prosciutto, melon, mozzarella skewers

2015 LMR Sauv Blanc paired with Manchego and ceviche

Tercero Grenache paired with tacos ahogados

2012 LaMontagne Pinot Noir Santa Rita hills paired with grilled salmon and quinoa salad

2013 Between the Lines Vidal ice wine (thanks deudegg and better half)...what should we pair the ice wine with? Does it go with a cigar? Or a mango cake?

Nice pairings.

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
losthighwayz wrote:Cool. Should I serve it cold? First time trying ice wine!

Yes, cold. Enjoy the sweet nectar!

chipgreen

New Belgium Fat Tire

cortot20

2010 Wellington zin. Meeks hilltop with pizza.
Did I ever mention moving sucks!

CT

tytiger58

My last night with Arianna 2014 Arianna Occhipinti Il Frappato, this one is young but great aromatics bright acid and delicious fruit, amazing what this girl has done with this lowly grape! Sure hope my wife never reads this thread...she might think somethings up https://goo.gl/photos/NPm4HvjVobJEoSyP8

InFrom

quality posts: 48 Private Messages InFrom

2007 Pedroncelli Zin, Bushnell vineyard. With smoked bbq chicken, beans, etc. OK but a bit disjointed at PnP. The jammy quality advertised on the bottle copy was mno longer in evidence, but it was pleasantly peppery and the tannins were mellow. Not at all hot for a wine listed at 14.9% AbV. However with the passage of time, it opened up to be a nice old Zin.

karenhynes

quality posts: 18 Private Messages karenhynes

2012 Trione Vineyards Henry's Blend
(35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 34% Merlot, 13% Petit Verdot, 13% Cabernet Franc and 5% Malbec)

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

klezman

quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:My last night with Arianna 2014 Arianna Occhipinti Il Frappato, this one is young but great aromatics bright acid and delicious fruit, amazing what this girl has done with this lowly grape! Sure hope my wife never reads this thread...she might think somethings up https://goo.gl/photos/NPm4HvjVobJEoSyP8

Whatever...we all know she's your other Sicilian crush

We had mixed drinks and then a 1995 Thirty Bench Riesling Icewine.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

awl85

tytiger58 wrote:Tobacco and leather in a Pinot?? That's different, is syrah in the blend?

This surprised me also! I did find that sanford & benedict vineyard does produce syrah so that could be a possibility. I also did see that one CT note said cola spice but I don't know what that is.

awl85

Rolling the dice.

1992 Wellington Vineyards Zinfandel Casa Santinamaria Vineyards

1995 Wellington Vineyards Merlot

Backups.

2010 Wellington Vineyards Zinfandel Meeks Hilltop Ranch

2011 Wellington Vineyards Merlot

losthighwayz

jmdavidson wrote:Nice pairings.

Thanks. Everything paired rathe well.

WOTN was the Foxen SB. It was slightly oaked which made it very enjoyable.

Also opened a Bedrock Zin.

Too much wine!

klezman

quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman
awl85 wrote:1995 Wellington Vineyards Merlot

Looking forward to notes on this, seeing as how I have one awaiting consumption.

Pre-dinner is 2014 Tercero Mourvedre Rose
With a couple prime steaks, 1996 Wellington Random Ridge Cab, Mt. Veeder.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

cortot20

klezman wrote:Looking forward to notes on this, seeing as how I have one awaiting consumption.

Pre-dinner is 2014 Tercero Mourvedre Rose
With a couple prime steaks, 1996 Wellington Random Ridge Cab, Mt. Veeder.

Looking good. When do I need to stop by?
Alosta brewing company farm house ale with beef kabobs

CT

karenhynes

2014 Joseph Phelps Viognier with some Indian food (mimosas, chicken tikka masala, mutter paneer, naan).

InFrom

A couple of glasses of "SPARKLING ROSÉ/MARKUS HUBER “HUGO”/AUSTRIA/2015 Zweigelt + Pinot Noir blend" at a local restaurant (puctuation theirs). Delicious, I thought.

Followed, at home, by a good-sized portion of Halo Top Oatmeal Cookie ice cream. Have you guys tried this brand? It ain't no Haagen-Dazs, no creamy-delicious richness, but great flavor. 280 calories for the pint!

kylemittskus

awl85 wrote:Rolling the dice.

1992 Wellington Vineyards Zinfandel Casa Santinamaria Vineyards

1995 Wellington Vineyards Merlot

Obviously excited to read your impressions on these.

karenhynes

InFrom wrote: snip...

Followed, at home, by a good-sized portion of Halo Top Oatmeal Cookie ice cream. Have you guys tried this brand? It ain't no Haagen-Dazs, no creamy-delicious richness, but great flavor. 280 calories for the pint!

I've been wanting to try Halo Top for a while, but haven't gotten around to making the trip to Whole Foods. Worth the trip?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 68 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Last few nights: 2005 Wellington Marsanne, came in the mystery case. It was spectacular!
Thursday: 2008 Caymus Special Selection Cabernet Sauvignon. Took it with us to one of the nicer steakhouses in Buffalo, expecting to pay $30 corkage. Couldn't find anything we liked better on the wine lost, which was populated mostly with 2012 and 2013 vintages. Turned out to be a great choice, even better when the server waived the corkage charge (without explanation).
Tonight, with leftover steaks from Thursday: 2000 Clos Pegase Cabernet Sauvignon. Cellartracker says drink 2005-2010. What do they know? This wine is still in its prime. Wish we had more. One bottle left.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

InFrom

karenhynes wrote:I've been wanting to try Halo Top for a while, but haven't gotten around to making the trip to Whole Foods. Worth the trip?

I wouldn't make a special trip, but it definitely merits a place on your shopping list. BTW, we found it here in a local chain supermarket, it seems they're making inroads beyond the specialty stores. So you might not have to wait until your next visit to the WFM.

karenhynes

InFrom wrote:I wouldn't make a special trip, but it definitely merits a place on your shopping list. BTW, we found it here in a local chain supermarket, it seems they're making inroads beyond the specialty stores. So you might not have to wait until your next visit to the WFM.

Haha! When I last looked in their site (probably last summer or fall) Whole Foods was the only place to get it locally. Apparently, I might now find it at Target and Wal-Mart. Who knew! What other flavors have you tried?

chipgreen

2012 Clayhouse Vineyard Adobe Red (3L)

InFrom

karenhynes wrote:Haha! When I last looked in their site (probably last summer or fall) Whole Foods was the only place to get it locally. Apparently, I might now find it at Target and Wal-Mart. Who knew! What other flavors have you tried?

This was our first pint. I have my eye on the chocolate, the mint chip, and the salted caramel. The lemon cake is intriguing, too.

I was amazed to learn they carry it in our crappy neighborhood supermarket at home (according to their web site), so I figured it was worth a look where we're staying this weekend.

karenhynes

chipgreen wrote:2012 Clayhouse Vineyard Adobe Red (3L)

Thirsty?

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

We had a 1999 Wellington Zin last night. A plain Zinfandel, not labeled as either estate or old vine.

The brick color and transparency showed it was an aged wine. It was a good accompaniment to dinner. (To be honest, I was a bit too enthusiastic with savory herbs when cooking and it required the wine to reset my palate and make the food taste good.) And even when the glass was empty, the nose was yummy with that Zinfandel spice.

And people were calling this stuff drano? That's why I suggested training up for the Corison tasting.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.

cortot20

zTimothyBz wrote:We had a 1999 Wellington Zin last night. A plain Zinfandel, not labeled as either estate or old vine.

The brick color and transparency showed it was an aged wine. It was a good accompaniment to dinner. (To be honest, I was a bit too enthusiastic with savory herbs when cooking and it required the wine to reset my palate and make the food taste good.) And even when the glass was empty, the nose was yummy with that Zinfandel spice.

And people were calling this stuff drano? That's why I suggested training up for the Corison tasting.

I think you're taking the drano comment out of context.
I got a '93 zin that I look forward to trying and my good friend got a '91 cotes de Sonoma.

CT