mommadeb1

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1
klezman wrote:What's with all the testing? That doesn't make sense to me.

No.. all the testing doesn't make sense. The kids started 2 weeks ago. 5th grade reading, last week 4th grade reading and 3rd grade math. This week 5th and 4th grade math... the following week is 5th grade science....Then we have the entire school has to test in a program called iReady- both math and reading, to see if they are progressing. Teachers are held accountable if the kids haven't progressed. It is never ending...

klezman

quality posts: 178 Private Messages klezman
ddeuddeg wrote:It doesn't make sense to any of the teachers I know, either. I got out of public school teaching at just about the right time. Where I am, our diploma is recognized by the State Education Department, and we don't have to deal with common core or the state exams. And our boys get into the best colleges.

That sounds ideal. I wonder what we'll be dealing with in 14 more years when we need to have chosen a high school.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

klezman

mommadeb1 wrote:No.. all the testing doesn't make sense. The kids started 2 weeks ago. 5th grade reading, last week 4th grade reading and 3rd grade math. This week 5th and 4th grade math... the following week is 5th grade science....Then we have the entire school has to test in a program called iReady- both math and reading, to see if they are progressing. Teachers are held accountable if the kids haven't progressed. It is never ending...

I mean, to me, there's nothing *in principle* wrong with holding teachers accountable for actually doing a good job. However, this kind of testing just leads to crazy conclusions/results - as does the underlying assumption that a teacher can solve all the problems for all kids all the time. What ever happened to parents? (This is veering a little more poli'ticks, I suppose, so I'll stop here.)

Mostly, I feel bad for teachers. Pretty raw deal in most cases.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 83 Private Messages losthighwayz
klezman wrote:I mean, to me, there's nothing *in principle* wrong with holding teachers accountable for actually doing a good job. However, this kind of testing just leads to crazy conclusions/results - as does the underlying assumption that a teacher can solve all the problems for all kids all the time. What ever happened to parents? (This is veering a little more poli'ticks, I suppose, so I'll stop here.)

This is a loaded topic. Yes, parenting plays a major role in what public educators need to deal with when it comes to standards and state testing. However, There are other issues such as teacher tenure....many teachers protected way too much...oh my what a topic!

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

klezman wrote:Truth. (Really, though, we just like poking fun in his direction )

😜

losthighwayz

bahwm wrote:Yeah, but don't forget, he's an admin. Usually that's a 12 month job--at least it is in NYS.

Yes, twelve months. But in al honesty, the 12 or so weeks without students, teachers, and parents are so much easier. Unlike many educators that complain about being underpaid, I am quite happy with my pay. I get great benefits, enough down time, and great pay. If I wanted to make more then I have the opportunity to test the private sector. But I choose not to. Too many public educators complain about lack of pay. I think it's decent.

Hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes! 😖

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 236 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All the news for the week of April 23!

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

April
4/29: SoCal Special Event: 27-Year Corison Vertical Tasting

May
mid-May: NYC #22: Third Time is the Charm!

Summer
TBD: SoCal Summer Concert Interest Thread

July 2018
Mid-July:2018 RPM Tour Planning

Pending
TBD: NoVA/DC #??: Mystery Case Demystified
TBD: Atlanta #1: Looking for Wooters in the ATL!
TBD: Napa/Sonoma Weekend, Mourning the demise of DnD
TBD: NYC #21: Trying to kickstart the team Not to be confused with the NYC #21 below.
TBD: Seattle Area (Woodinville) Get Together
TBD: SoCal #3?: San Diego/Lakeside
TBD: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

losthighwayz wrote:This is a loaded topic. Yes, parenting plays a major role in what public educators need to deal with when it comes to standards and state testing. However, There are other issues such as teacher tenure....many teachers protected way too much...oh my what a topic!

Hence my comment about stopping since I didn't want to get too far into the world of poli'ticks in the pub.

mommadeb1

klezman wrote:I mean, to me, there's nothing *in principle* wrong with holding teachers accountable for actually doing a good job. However, this kind of testing just leads to crazy conclusions/results - as does the underlying assumption that a teacher can solve all the problems for all kids all the time. What ever happened to parents? (This is veering a little more poli'ticks, I suppose, so I'll stop here.)

I agree with holding the teacher accountable...but not with a computer based test that if the kids are bored and want to rush it just click to click. The program is interactive, but not all the kids take it seriously. oh well, we only have 4 more Monday's to go!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
mommadeb1 wrote:I agree with holding the teacher accountable...but not with a computer based test that if the kids are bored and want to rush it just click to click. The program is interactive, but not all the kids take it seriously. oh well, we only have 4 more Monday's to go!

Wow! You really did it this time. Over 4 days of no activity on the Pub. This has to be a record.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

klezman

We were all psyching ourselves up for tonight's festivities.

mommadeb1

ddeuddeg wrote:Wow! You really did it this time. Over 4 days of no activity on the Pub. This has to be a record.

I know....

klezman

And now we're recovering, and some are driving north or flying east. Wish you'd been able to come out!

bahwm

quality posts: 59 Private Messages bahwm

At LAX now, waiting for our flight. Uber worked well for us for this trip.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

quality posts: 289 Private Messages rjquillin
bahwm wrote:At LAX now, waiting for our flight. Uber worked well for us for this trip.

You get your (somewhat damp) notes?

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 59 Private Messages bahwm
rjquillin wrote:You get your (somewhat damp) notes?

I did. Thank you for searching for them! I set them out to dry at the hotel.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1

not sure if I should post here or on what are you drinking tonight..but here goes

I am rediscovering white wines and am looking for recommendations for something I can find at local store.
wines I like Woot Pouracle, PinkySwear. Jana Reisling, Tres Sabores Sauvignon blanc. I don't remember the name, but a few years ago when we were out for D&D we went to Meeker and they had a dry Gewurztraminer that was amazing!! I really liked Clarks Faux Chablis but was not a fan of the Chardonnay. I really don't like Chards.

Thanks

Edit:I forgot about Wellington marsane (sorry I know it is spelled wrong)

tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58
mommadeb1 wrote:not sure if I should post here or on what are you drinking tonight..but here goes

I am rediscovering white wines and am looking for recommendations for something I can find at local store.
wines I like Woot Pouracle, PinkySwear. Jana Reisling, Tres Sabores Sauvignon blanc. I don't remember the name, but a few years ago when we were out for D&D we went to Meeker and they had a dry Gewurztraminer that was amazing!! I really liked Clarks Faux Chablis but was not a fan of the Chardonnay. I really don't like Chards.

Thanks

Ummm faux Chablis is Chardonnay...

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

mommadeb1

tytiger58 wrote:Ummm faux Chablis is Chardonnay...

but it didn't taste like Chard!

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:Ummm faux Chablis is Chardonnay...
mommadeb1 wrote:but it didn't taste like Chard!

This if funny.

It's also Clark!

CT

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
rjquillin wrote:This if funny.

It's also Clark!

The opposite of Cathy who wants to make wines that express the grapes that came into the winery.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.

rjquillin

zTimothyBz wrote:The opposite of Cathy who wants to make wines that express the grapes that came into the winery.

And fortunately neither of them promote 'production' wines, but strive to produce quality from what they are given.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58
zTimothyBz wrote:The opposite of Cathy who wants to make wines that express the grapes that came into the winery.

You sir are correct

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

mommadeb1

Daughter just finished her first year of college!

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:This if funny.

It's also Clark!

It's also May!

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
klezman wrote:What's with all the testing? That doesn't make sense to me.

Test make school strong like Ox!

It is supposed to show if the teachers are doing a good job or not, what it really leads to is teaching for the test and not for life.

On another note, my daughter said her teacher told her she rocked the Math test in Nebraska. That was her goal this year because math was the one area she's wasn't top 5%. I don't even have to push her, she enjoys excelling in school. It's great. My son on the other hand, he's going to need prodding. I think smart kids go one of two ways: the kind that find challenges to stay motivated (my daughter), the kind that just get bored, everything is easy and requires no effort so why try (my son, and maybe me).

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 236 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chipgreen wrote:It's also May!

Since we're having fun ...

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:Test make school strong like Ox!

It is supposed to show if the teachers are doing a good job or not, what it really leads to is teaching for the test and not for life.

On another note, my daughter said her teacher told her she rocked the Math test in Nebraska. That was her goal this year because math was the one area she's wasn't top 5%. I don't even have to push her, she enjoys excelling in school. It's great. My son on the other hand, he's going to need prodding. I think smart kids go one of two ways: the kind that find challenges to stay motivated (my daughter), the kind that just get bored, everything is easy and requires no effort so why try (my son, and maybe me).

Sounds like my kids... Daughter is structured and nonstop... Son is very laid back and waits until the last min. to do everything. Both are extremely smart. But trying to deal with totally opposite styles drive me crazy.

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee

Just because

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)