mommadeb1

quality posts: 26 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:Finished copyediting the book tonight! Yeah! Yippee! Man, am I tired and so are my eyes! It's a really good book, though. However, I do not like such a quick turnaround--especially when grades are also due! Next up: trip to Quebec--leaving next week Wednesday evening. I am thinking that this trip should be a walk in the park--only 41-8th graders!

Only 41 kids? ha ha ha

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
klezman wrote:Yup, that sounds about right!
Now I need to go see what that Chicago gathering was about...sounds intriguing.

It caused Sparky, Java and I to go to Chicago during the month of January...

And speaking of which, what did TMR and L do to get 1 oz pours at that event?

In this post TMR said he didn't want Sparky to bring 1 oz pouring spouts because:

themostrighteous wrote:nope. IME, their start-stop action generates quite a bit of internal motion in the bottle - NOT desirable in older bottles. but thanks for offering!

So what did they do? Practice and eyeball it? Use measured shot glasses?

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 68 Private Messages ddeuddeg
zTimothyBz wrote:So what did they do? Practice and eyeball it? Use measured shot glasses?

Eyeball, IIRC. No need for true precision there.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 231 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Just a reminder for the 14th ...

MarkDaSpark wrote:Helping Men Survive Valentine's Day

Men often have a difficult time figuring out what to do on Valentine's Day -- and if they expect to get any ...uh, make the women in their lives happy, they need to know the basics. Here it is, guys, hours before you need it -- that's plenty of time.

Step One: Remember. The minimum requirement is to let the woman know you care. The least expensive way is to look at her -- preferably somewhere on her face -- and say, "I love you, [her name here]." If you forget her name, don't bother with the rest of the steps -- you already lack the skill to survive.

Step Two: Cards. A Valentine's card is an acceptable nonverbal token of appreciation. Best of all, it's cheap. Good Valentines are pink with lots of lace and have cute words such as "I'll love my sugar bunny forever and ever and ever and ...". Bad Valentine cards say, "Good for one free quart of motor oil."

Step Three: Candy. While a handful of M&Ms is OK, women tend to expect something a bit nicer. It should be in a box for starters, and wrapped in nice paper for that extra touch. The best way to explain why you must do this is: women regard chocolate the same way men view beer. Enough said?

Step Four: Jewelry. A bit pricier, but essential if you did not bother with Steps 1-3. If you did, you might get by with a small but hideously expensive ring, necklace, or tiara. Note: most women, even in Arkansas, do not consider aluminum, tin or a Mylar balloon to be a precious metal.

Step Five: Lingerie. Caution! Not only does it have to be the right size and caliber, it must also match any of the 8 billion feelings she currently has about herself. To be safe, tell the clerk you're looking for something that can't be used to strangle you in your sleep.

Step Six: Romantic Getaways. These are only good for couples with more than .2 children. Studies prove that not even bacteria can reproduce when a toddler is beating on the bedroom door with a Fisher-Price toy. Depending on the size of your family, a sufficient getaway may range from a motel in town to crossing at least three international boundaries.

The Most Important Thing to Know: Unlike men, women give points for trying. So do something -- anything is better than nothing. Every year, emergency rooms fill with men who didn't understand this simple point.

Just trying to help keep the Emergency Rooms clear in the 14th!

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All the news for the week of Feb 12.

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

March
3/11: SoCal #46: All Things Roessler
3/19: NoVA/DC #37: Green

July
Mid-July:2017 RPM Tour Planning

Pending
TBD: NoVA/DC #??: Mystery Case Demystified
TBD: Atlanta #1: Looking for Wooters in the ATL!
TBD: Napa/Sonoma Weekend, Mourning the demise of DnD
TBD: NYC #21: Trying to kickstart the team Not to be confused with the NYC #21 below.
TBD: Seattle Area (Woodinville) Get Together
TBD: SoCal #3?: San Diego/Lakeside
TBD: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

x20             
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

Checklist for Men for Valentine's Day

x20             

bahwm

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bahwm

Happy Valentine's Day All! ❤❤❤

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

InFrom

quality posts: 48 Private Messages InFrom
bahwm wrote:Happy Valentine's Day All! ❤❤❤

Same to you -- any interesting V-Day menu highlights to report?

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316
InFrom wrote:Same to you -- any interesting V-Day menu highlights to report?

Taco Bell after leaving work at 10:30 PM.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

InFrom

North316 wrote:Taco Bell after leaving work at 10:30 PM.

So sorry! One of those tacos where the shell is fried chicken?

North316

InFrom wrote:So sorry! One of those tacos where the shell is fried chicken?

Nope, that doesn't even look good to me. I love taco bell though, nothing to be sorry about!

My CT

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 29 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

I found a steal on sea scallops at Sams Club and seared them and served on a lemony leek & pea risotto.
Edit: trying to post a photo but clearly a fail.

bahwm

We went to a new-ish Cuban restaurant. They had a Prix Fixe menu special for V-Day. The food was quite excellent! They even had a live band!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

On our way to Quebec! We left about an hour ago! Just nine more hours to go! WooHoo! Apparently, there's quite a lot of snow in Quebec City. We have only a dusting at home.

MarkDaSpark

pseudogourmet98 wrote:I found a steal on sea scallops at Sams Club and seared them and served on a lemony leek & pea risotto.
Edit: trying to post a photo but clearly a fail.

IFIFY

You have to press and hold the picture on a tablet to open it in a new tab. Or select copy to clipboard elsewhere.

Basically, it needs to end in a .jpg or .png for it to work here.

x20             

MarkDaSpark

And the crack toffee is back!

x20             

InFrom

MarkDaSpark

2 new Woot Monkeys !

Edit:
The Complete List of Screaming Woot Monkeys (all colors with pics and dates!) -- last updated July 2013

Monkey Trading Thread -- last updated Sept. 2016

x20             

cortot20

quality posts: 293 Private Messages cortot20
MarkDaSpark wrote:2 new Woot Monkeys !

Edit:
The Complete List of Screaming Woot Monkeys (all colors with pics and dates!) -- last updated July 2013

They still sell these?! And people still buy them?!

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 976 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:2 new Woot Monkeys !

Edit:

I wish I'd known about that list before I worked so hard to compile one a couple weeks ago. LOL. That has some I didn't know about.

*** Play TT's Clue EVERY THURSDAY at 9pm CT ***
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:I wish I'd known about that list before I worked so hard to compile one a couple weeks ago. LOL. That has some I didn't know about.

Serves you right for not asking in here!

I am the All-Knowing AllSparky!

Edit: And yet, still no York Peppermint Patty on that thread for posting it.

x20             

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:They still sell these?! And people still buy them?!

Of course! How else can we scare small children and animals?

People buy these for their dogs to play with.

Edit: Keep it up, and you'll find out how much fun when Uncle Sparky gives some to your kids! Muwahahahahahahahaha!

x20             

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 976 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:...
Edit: And yet, still no York Peppermint Patty on that thread for posting it.

You are soooooo needy. LOL

*** Play TT's Clue EVERY THURSDAY at 9pm CT ***
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:You are soooooo needy. LOL

Duh! It's from being ignored for re-posting Gatherings, birthdays, etc.

x20             

klezman

quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman

My phone is dying a slow and painful death...I don't want to spend a ton on a new one so I'm considering a few options:
-Refurbished S7 or S7 Edge
-New or refurb Oneplus 3 or 3T
-LG G5 refurb

What do y'all know about these phones? I have a couple microSD cards, so if the phone has a slot then no need to max out on internal storage.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
klezman wrote:My phone is dying a slow and painful death...I don't want to spend a ton on a new one so I'm considering a few options:
-LG G5 refurb

What do y'all know about these phones? I have a couple microSD cards, so if the phone has a slot then no need to max out on internal storage.

S7 Edge, no other choices exist.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Cesare

quality posts: 2354 Private Messages Cesare
bhodilee wrote:S7 Edge, no other choices exist.

Google Pixel

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:My phone is dying a slow and painful death...I don't want to spend a ton on a new one so I'm considering a few options:
-LG G5 refurb

Unless you have tons of apps. Then you need the internal storage too! Some apps can't be split off to the SD card.

What Bluetooth items do you tie into your phone, and what brand are they?

My Samsung Gear S2 (smartwatch) ties in easily to my Samsung phone. I will be looking into a new phone too next month.

Can you wait a month or so? The new S8 should be out soon, and you'll see a price drop on the older ones.

x20             

tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58
Cesare wrote:Google Pixel

+1

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

klezman

Yeah, that one looks pretty good, but I don't really want to spend that much. Hence the refurbs or ZTE Axon 7 is a contender along with the OnePlus.

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee

You have to have Verizon and it costs, though a refurb option is likely. They also have issues with boot loops.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mommadeb1

-LG G5 refurb

I have the s7 and really like it. I had the Droid razr something and it did not hold up very well for me.

mommadeb1

Just got back from a last min, kind of surprise, birthday cruise. Mr. Mommadeb decided since this was a "big" birthday (the big 50), that we needed to go on a cruise. He surprised me by actually booking it! It was a nice 4 day cruise to Cozumel. We have never been and I wasn't really looking forward to Mexico, but I have changed my mind. Our excursion wasn't too bad. Now it's back to the real world. yuck!

Oh, and Happy Anniversary Bahwm and ddeuddeg!

ddeuddeg

mommadeb1 wrote:Just got back from a last min, kind of surprise, birthday cruise. Mr. Mommadeb decided since this was a "big" birthday (the big 50), that we needed to go on a cruise. He surprised me by actually booking it! It was a nice 4 day cruise to Cozumel. We have never been and I wasn't really looking forward to Mexico, but I have changed my mind. Our excursion wasn't too bad. Now it's back to the real world. yuck!

Oh, and Happy Anniversary Bahwm and ddeuddeg!

Thanks. We finally got to see each other 2 days after.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.

North316

Just curious who lives anywhere near Ventura, CA? We have a friend that lives there and may possibly incorporate that location (and obviously additional parts of CA) into part of a trip that would happen sometime between the wide-ranging span of mid-May and November. Just curious which wooter(s) would be throwing our welcoming party if we made the trip?

My CT

mommadeb1

Just checking to make sure everyone is ok... watching the crazy weather all over... wanted to make sure everyone is ok?

ddeuddeg

mommadeb1 wrote:Just checking to make sure everyone is ok... watching the crazy weather all over... wanted to make sure everyone is ok?

You sure are right. Crazy weather here in Buffalo. Bright sunshine, temps about 20° above normal. Don't know what to do. We'll try to cope, and keep you posted.

mommadeb1

ddeuddeg wrote:You sure are right. Crazy weather here in Buffalo. Bright sunshine, temps about 20° above normal. Don't know what to do. We'll try to cope, and keep you posted.

stay strong

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:stay strong

I can't figure out what all this green stuff is outside! I just came from A LOT of SNOW in Quebec! Snow piled up past the tops of house windows sometimes up to the gutters; snow piled up way high above the tops of cars at the ends of driveways, making it impossible to see; snow so deep that you can sink in beyond your knees if you step off the packed down trail.

klezman

North316 wrote:Just curious who lives anywhere near Ventura, CA? We have a friend that lives there and may possibly incorporate that location (and obviously additional parts of CA) into part of a trip that would happen sometime between the wide-ranging span of mid-May and November. Just curious which wooter(s) would be throwing our welcoming party if we made the trip?

That's about an hour away from us west LA folk (me, tytiger58, time2testit) and a bit longer to get to the rest of the SoCal crew in Long Beach (ish) and areas a bit further east on I-10.