mommadeb1

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1
polarbear22 wrote:I have an insulated large "closet" for my wine. I think otolith is using passive based on where he built his.

I don't know this manufacturer. Not the one that I had lots of issues with, so that is good. I went a little over power with my last replacement, and no issues. I like the bottle probe vs. the ambient temp readout. I think it cycles less and keeps the wine a more uniform temp.

Good luck.

hmm insulated closet.. something to think about. tell me more

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:hmm insulated closet.. something to think about. tell me more

When we finished the basement, we took a small area (5x5 or 6x6) and insulated it sides and ceiling. Add racks and cooling unit, and done. May be bigger than a coat closet, but not much. One wall opens to the unfinished area, so the place for the cooling unit.

There are pics on FB.

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:When we finished the basement, we took a small area (5x5 or 6x6) and insulated it sides and ceiling. Add racks and cooling unit, and done. May be bigger than a coat closet, but not much. One wall opens to the unfinished area, so the place for the cooling unit.

There are pics on FB.

thanks, I will check it out

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
klezman wrote:BTW, molarchae and I now have a son!

Congrats!!!

otolith

quality posts: 26 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:1 IFTFY. Looks ok, but you'll have to wait for otolith and polarbear22 to check in. They have built in wine storage areas.

2. Haven't had too many issues with my Samsungs thru the years (Galaxy 3 and Note 4).

I have a WhisperKool unit for my wine cellar. I vaguely remember CellarPro and Whisperkool were the two I looked at. IIRC, the W was more expensive, but also seemed to be a much(?) better unit, so I bit the bullet and went with that. This was probably 4-5 yrs ago so I am sure things have changed.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

quality posts: 26 Private Messages otolith

Congrats to the two of you!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mommadeb1

otolith wrote:I have a WhisperKool unit for my wine cellar. I vaguely remember CellarPro and Whisperkool were the two I looked at. IIRC, the W was more expensive, but also seemed to be a much(?) better unit, so I bit the bullet and went with that. This was probably 4-5 yrs ago so I am sure things have changed.

Thanks

awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85

Congratulations!

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316

Glad to see that after sitting on the sidelines for 3 years, my $300 of Wellington is now sitting on a truck over the weekend in a polar vortex. Seriously how hard is it to time shipments so that this doesn't happen?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cortot20

quality posts: 297 Private Messages cortot20
North316 wrote:Glad to see that after sitting on the sidelines for 3 years, my $300 of Wellington is now sitting on a truck over the weekend in a polar vortex. Seriously how hard is it to time shipments so that this doesn't happen?

Lol, only to you!

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 83 Private Messages losthighwayz

Heading to Los Olivos tomorrow through Wednesday sans the kids! Looking forward to our time alone. Andrew Murray, Beckman, Tercero, and Lincourt on our wine tasting itinerary....any other recs?

Lunch at Industrial Eats and dinner at First and Oak...

"The older I get the better I was"

awl85

North316 wrote:Glad to see that after sitting on the sidelines for 3 years, my $300 of Wellington is now sitting on a truck over the weekend in a polar vortex. Seriously how hard is it to time shipments so that this doesn't happen?

cortot20 wrote:Lol, only to you!

Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 31 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
cortot20 wrote:Lol, only to you!

North is not alone. We bought 3 cases, 1 arrived Friday, the other 2 are loaded on a FedEx truck (Friday afternoon) and will be delivered tomorrow. No polar vortex here, we had a record high temperature of 86 today! Sad for my wine.

chipgreen

Where was it stalled? Mine arrived in your neck of the woods (Perrysburg) Friday 9pm, left 5 hrs. later at 2am, arrived at my local Twinsburg facility before 6am Saturday morning. It did sit until Monday, when it was transferred to a FedEx Office location a half mile down the road. Don't know if it sat on a truck or inside the facility.

mommadeb1

pseudogourmet98 wrote:North is not alone. We bought 3 cases, 1 arrived Friday, the other 2 are loaded on a FedEx truck (Friday afternoon) and will be delivered tomorrow. No polar vortex here, we had a record high temperature of 86 today! Sad for my wine.

Mine was scheduled to be delivered Today. It arrived on Sat. Good thing someone was home, would have hated it to be sitting on the truck with our record breaking highs!

North316

chipgreen wrote:Where was it stalled? Mine arrived in your neck of the woods (Perrysburg) Friday 9pm, left 5 hrs. later at 2am, arrived at my local Twinsburg facility before 6am Saturday morning. It did sit until Monday, when it was transferred to a FedEx Office location a half mile down the road. Don't know if it sat on a truck or inside the facility.

Mine was in Perrysburg for the weekend. Decent mix of wines, killer deal overall. 1st box had 2008 Victory. Special bottle in second box was a 2003 Port, which I was mildly disappointed in. I was hoping for another Victory or something more intriguing (already have 2 bottles of the 2003 Port). I also was hoping the mix was more cab heavy, as I really enjoy Peter's cab, but it was a nice mix of 3 cabs, 3 zins, 3 syrahs and 2 merlots. I went into this knowing that I would be overly pleased with anything I got at the price, but of course I had dreams!

My CT

mommadeb1

3 more days of work... I can do this. Teacher out today, no sub showed, so you know what I was doing today. I think We had a record breaking high temp today. Pretty sure it was 86.

chipgreen

North316 wrote:Mine was in Perrysburg for the weekend. Decent mix of wines, killer deal overall. 1st box had 2008 Victory. Special bottle in second box was a 2003 Port, which I was mildly disappointed in. I was hoping for another Victory or something more intriguing (already have 2 bottles of the 2003 Port). I also was hoping the mix was more cab heavy, as I really enjoy Peter's cab, but it was a nice mix of 3 cabs, 3 zins, 3 syrahs and 2 merlots. I went into this knowing that I would be overly pleased with anything I got at the price, but of course I had dreams!

I got a Victory in mine. I would have also been disappointed with the 2003 Port, we were buying those here on woot for around $20 just a few years ago. If you ever want to beef up your Wellington collection even more, or Scott Harvey, or whatever..... my cellar door/store is always open, haha.

klezman

quality posts: 178 Private Messages klezman
North316 wrote:Mine was in Perrysburg for the weekend. Decent mix of wines, killer deal overall. 1st box had 2008 Victory. Special bottle in second box was a 2003 Port, which I was mildly disappointed in. I was hoping for another Victory or something more intriguing (already have 2 bottles of the 2003 Port). I also was hoping the mix was more cab heavy, as I really enjoy Peter's cab, but it was a nice mix of 3 cabs, 3 zins, 3 syrahs and 2 merlots. I went into this knowing that I would be overly pleased with anything I got at the price, but of course I had dreams!

I was super happy with the 1995 Merlot in ours. Apparently the "standard" mix had some variation as well. I was also super happy to get 2 of the 2012 Merlot.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

InFrom

quality posts: 48 Private Messages InFrom
chipgreen wrote:If you ever want to beef up your Wellington....... haha.

Haha, indeed!

North316

klezman wrote:I was super happy with the 1995 Merlot in ours. Apparently the "standard" mix had some variation as well. I was also super happy to get 2 of the 2012 Merlot.

Yes, a 1995 Merlot certainly would have fell in the "intriguing" category. The 2003 port was just lackluster, especially knowing what some of the alternative would be. Interesting that the additional "mix" was different for others, as both mine had the same exact "mix".

My CT

awl85

klezman wrote:I was super happy with the 1995 Merlot in ours. Apparently the "standard" mix had some variation as well. I was also super happy to get 2 of the 2012 Merlot.

*Air high five.

It is likely we got similar case contents. Nice to see the '95 merlot's label also.

InFrom

Speaking of "Anyone else miss WW Gift Week" -- I have been on the lookout for this year's vintage of new olive oil from Tuscany, but I never did see it. Did I miss it, or is it MIA this year, along with Gift Week?

rjquillin

quality posts: 289 Private Messages rjquillin
InFrom wrote:Speaking of "Anyone else miss WW Gift Week" -- I have been on the lookout for this year's vintage of new olive oil from Tuscany, but I never did see it. Did I miss it, or is it MIA this year, along with Gift Week?

Rimmerman had some up a few weeks ago.

CT

InFrom

rjquillin wrote:Rimmerman had some up a few weeks ago.

Rimmerman? Really?

(Who is Rimmerman? Rhymes with Zimmerman, just won the Nobel Prize?)

InFrom

InFrom wrote:Rimmerman? Really?

(Who is Rimmerman? Rhymes with Zimmerman, just won the Nobel Prize?)

Google tells all.

rjquillin

InFrom wrote:Google tells all.

caution if you sign up for his mailing list...

CT

InFrom

rjquillin wrote:caution if you sign up for his mailing list...

curious, but I think I'll pass.

rjquillin

InFrom wrote:curious, but I think I'll pass.

PM

CT

rjquillin

Looks like my PM killed it this time, so, I'll offer up this in the spirit of SoCal and FL...

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22

Bummer! The Engracia that I shipped to my MIL had some freezing damage. Apparently, MN was being MN and had temps down to -23 below. One bottle froze enough to push the cork out through the foil.

I have written to CS and expect a good resolution. Still, disappointed that a gift had some problems. I have not done well with gifting wine from here. I do fine with shipments to myself. Nice thing is that wine.woot takes care of things.

klezman

polarbear22 wrote:Bummer! The Engracia that I shipped to my MIL had some freezing damage. Apparently, MN was being MN and had temps down to -23 below. One bottle froze enough to push the cork out through the foil.

I have written to CS and expect a good resolution. Still, disappointed that a gift had some problems. I have not done well with gifting wine from here. I do fine with shipments to myself. Nice thing is that wine.woot takes care of things.

Yeah...and it's mostly a shame that the wine gets damaged and a bottle or three are wasted.

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Bummer! The Engracia that I shipped to my MIL had some freezing damage. Apparently, MN was being MN and had temps down to -23 below. One bottle froze enough to push the cork out through the foil.

I just emailed CS also... Wellington order had problems. ordered 2 cases. My friends had a leaking bottle of 2011 Estate Vineyard Zin.
Both boxes had minimal tape on the bottom, mine almost all fell out when I picked it up.

We shall see what happens.

InFrom

mommadeb1 wrote:I just emailed CS also... Wellington order had problems. ordered 2 cases. My friends had a leaking bottle of 2011 Estate Vineyard Zin.
Both boxes had minimal tape on the bottom, mine almost all fell out when I picked it up.

We shall see what happens.

Ugh, that's never good. Do you think the leak is due to weather? I think you may have to make the ultimate sacrifice and pop something open -- for quality control purposes, of course.

Most important: what "special" bottles did you get?

losthighwayz

losthighwayz wrote:Heading to Los Olivos tomorrow through Wednesday sans the kids! Looking forward to our time alone. Andrew Murray, Beckman, Tercero, and Lincourt on our wine tasting itinerary....any other recs?

Lunch at Industrial Eats and dinner at First and Oak...

Ok, since no one replied I'll reply to self:

Monday: Tercero, Kaena, Eleven, Lander

Tuesday: Gainey, Brander, Andrew Murray, Demetria, Lincourt

losthighwayz

klezman wrote:Yeah...and it's mostly a shame that the wine gets damaged and a bottle or three are wasted.

Congrats on fatherhood and motherhood, Molarchae! 😚👪

mommadeb1

InFrom wrote:Ugh, that's never good. Do you think the leak is due to weather? I think you may have to make the ultimate sacrifice and pop something open -- for quality control purposes, of course.

Most important: what "special" bottles did you get?

Wow.. customer service responded very quickly. Refunded price of the bottle. (TT- please let them know that I appreciate the speed and results)
I did get a Victory in my box, will have to ask my friend what she got.
Will have to do a quality control check later

edit: I bet our record high temps had something to do with the leakage

losthighwayz

Repiping our home. Pex or copper? Got three quotes...the range was quite interesting

cortot20

quality posts: 297 Private Messages cortot20
losthighwayz wrote:Repiping our home. Pex or copper? Got three quotes...the range was quite interesting

The cost for a repipe is mostly labor so it's all about material. I would go copper. PEX seems great on paper but I don't want to install plastic pipe under pressure in my house.

CT

klezman

losthighwayz wrote:Repiping our home. Pex or copper? Got three quotes...the range was quite interesting

What is the price difference?
Both have advantages and disadvantages, and it seems up to the plumber which version they prefer. Their pricing may help steer you as well.