vwsmaltz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwsmaltz

Monica and I should be there by 5. So we can meet up early and start.....

Lauren will get there when she gets there... She has to work until 4 and then she and her BF will drive up. So they can come direct to Hydraulic and meet us.

Virgil

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22
ddeuddeg wrote:PM for you.
As for the weather forecasts, the local guys have been pretty much spot on all week with predicting the upcoming 24 hours. Long range, not quite as good, but better than average.
Didn't get the school closing I really wanted today, but I can't blame that on the meteorologists.

PM replied.

Main thing is not too much snow while we are there. Your DOT and towns know how to handle a few inches like nothing. So it is looking good.

Passports and a sparkler set aside. Are we looking one bottle per person, or per couple?

bahwm

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bahwm

Let's plan on Sportsmens at 5:30 or so. Music soothes rattled nerves after long drives. Upstairs is a bit of a roomier space. We can decide from there if we want to make another stop before Hydraulic Hearth. Big Ditch is kind of on the way. Flying Bison is two or three blocks away from Hydraulic (I may be repeating myself.) Ditch & Bison both do flights of their beers. Don't forget icewine and cheesecake at our house afterwards--also to flesh out our schedule for Sat.

I am thinking brunch/breakfast at Dick & Jenny's at about 9:30? I'm working on a noon appointment for a tasting plus Discovery Pass tasting at Kacaba. Vadim will get back to me tomorrow. We'll probably stop at Sue-Ann Staff before that. If anybody wants to take a look at the wineries I mentioned and map things out, that would be awesome. I have a few things to get done yet tonight. I was thinking hit Pillitteri and Rancourt on the way back to Buffalo.

I think you all have my cell number. Feel free to text me. I'll get back to you when I can, if you text me on Fri. PM if you need my number.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

Dick and Jenny's sounds great at 9:30, good base for a day of tasting.

For Friday, Sportsman's at 5:30, Big Ditch and Flying Bison by 8 might be close. I bet one has to get chopped, or at least cut short. I've been to Sportsman's but just for music and Labatt.

Saturday Itinerary:

9:30 Dick and Jenny's (1270 Baseline Rd, Grand Island, NY 14072)
11:15 Sue Ann Staff - Vidal Icewine (3210 Staff Ave, Lincoln, ON L0R 1S0, Canada)
12:00 Kacaba Cab Franc and/or Riesling (3550 King St, Lincoln, ON, Canada)
1:00 Malivoire Riesling (4260 King St, Lincoln, ON L0R 1B0, Canada)
2:00 Tawse
3:00 Rancourt
4:00 TBD
5:00 Piliterri Trio of Icewine (Cab Sauv, Sangiovese, and ???) (1696 Niagara Stone Rd, Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0, Canada)

Other wineries mentioned or we've visited and liked:

Between-The-Lines - Vidal (Young german winemaker, family run, reasonably priced, boring pairing with pear tarte tatin).
Tawse - Chard (Expensive, BD, and a little out of the way, but barrel aged chard icewine....)
Peller Estates - Cabernet Franc (Expensive, but really cool area and icewine marshmallows).
Reif Old Vine Vidal (can't be that old....) (Annual pig roast! Nice German style, pretty distinct, and expensive!)
Megalomaniac - Martinis (Icewine Martini sampling, call ahead for groups of 6 or more)
Rancourt - Gewurz (Harvest Barn Wicked Thai Chicken Soup with our deliciously unique Gewürztraminer Icewine)
Mike Weir - Riesling (didn't we go here last year and not care for it largely as a group?)

So we've got room for 3 from the list above. I suppose diversifying varieties and ambiance makes sense. Martinis doesn't really appeal to me, but any of the others I'm fine with. Katy's vote is for the Peller marshmallows.

bahwm wrote:Let's plan on Sportsmens at 5:30 or so. Music soothes rattled nerves after long drives. Upstairs is a bit of a roomier space. We can decide from there if we want to make another stop before Hydraulic Hearth. Big Ditch is kind of on the way. Flying Bison is two or three blocks away from Hydraulic (I may be repeating myself.) Ditch & Bison both do flights of their beers. Don't forget icewine and cheesecake at our house afterwards--also to flesh out our schedule for Sat.

I am thinking brunch/breakfast at Dick & Jenny's at about 9:30? I'm working on a noon appointment for a tasting plus Discovery Pass tasting at Kacaba. Vadim will get back to me tomorrow. We'll probably stop at Sue-Ann Staff before that. If anybody wants to take a look at the wineries I mentioned and map things out, that would be awesome. I have a few things to get done yet tonight. I was thinking hit Pillitteri and Rancourt on the way back to Buffalo.

I think you all have my cell number. Feel free to text me. I'll get back to you when I can, if you text me on Fri. PM if you need my number.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

bahwm

justinrsanderson wrote:Dick and Jenny's sounds great at 9:30, good base for a day of tasting.

For Friday, Sportsman's at 5:30, Big Ditch and Flying Bison by 8 might be close. I bet one has to get chopped, or at least cut short. I've been to Sportsman's but just for music and Labatt.

Saturday Itinerary:

11:15 Sue Ann Staff - Vidal Icewine (3210 Staff Ave, Lincoln, ON L0R 1S0, Canada)
2:00
3:00
4:00
5:00 Piliterri Trio of Icewine (Cab Sauv, Sangiovese, and ???) (1696 Niagara Stone Rd, Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0, Canada)

Between-The-Lines - Vidal (Young german winemaker, family run, reasonably priced, boring pairing with pear tarte tatin).
Tawse - Chard (Expensive, BD, and a little out of the way, but barrel aged chard icewine....)
Peller Estates - Cabernet Franc (Expensive, but really cool area and icewine marshmallows).
Reif Old Vine Vidal (can't be that old....) (Annual pig roast! Nice German style, pretty distinct, and expensive!)
Megalomaniac - Martinis (Icewine Martini sampling, call ahead for groups of 6 or more)
Rancourt - Gewurz (Harvest Barn Wicked Thai Chicken Soup with our deliciously unique Gewürztraminer Icewine)
Mike Weir - Riesling (didn't we go here last year and not care for it largely as a group?)

So we've got room for 3 from the list above. I suppose diversifying varieties and ambiance makes sense. Martinis doesn't really appeal to me, but any of the others I'm fine with. Katy's vote is for the Peller marshmallows.

I was looking for diversity in wines when I came up with the list. Pillitteri is doing a Kerner Icewine with a NIagara Apple Fritter drizzled in a cinnamon icewine caramel sauce. I've NEVER had a Kerner icewine . I know that PB really likes Kerner. The barrel-aged Chard Icewine at Tawse sounds intriguing. I don't think I've ever had a chard icewine.

I didn't put Between-the-Lines in because it seems like a boring pairing. However, I do like their wines in general. Good QPR. Plus, Sue-Ann Staff is doing Vidal.

We've been finding that the wines outside of NOTL are more developed and are showing much better. Peller is soooo huge and commercial and their wines tend to be expensive and ordinary. Agreed that the martinis at Megalomaniac are not a big sell for ddeuddeg and me, either. They do interest Virgil & Monica,tho. We've been to Rancourt & bought a case of wine there two years ago. Small batch winery, old school.

Just my thoughts to explain why I picked the wineries that I did. I'm sure we'll be happy with whatever we wind up with. But I would like us to have as much diversity in icewines as possible since PB & Mrs. PB have never done the Festival.

BTW, dinner at Bourbon & Butter is scheduled for 7 PM. It's OK if we get there earlier. We can drop off bubblies before we head to Hydraulic.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

polarbear22

bahwm wrote:I was looking for diversity in wines when I came up with the list. Pillitteri is doing a Kerner Icewine with a NIagara Apple Fritter drizzled in a cinnamon icewine caramel sauce. I've NEVER had a Kerner icewine . I know that PB really likes Kerner. The barrel-aged Chard Icewine at Tawse sounds intriguing. I don't think I've ever had a chard icewine.

I didn't put Between-the-Lines in because it seems like a boring pairing. However, I do like their wines in general. Good QPR. Plus, Sue-Ann Staff is doing Vidal.

We've been finding that the wines outside of NOTL are more developed and are showing much better. Peller is soooo huge and commercial and their wines tend to be expensive and ordinary. Agreed that the martinis at Megalomaniac are not a big sell for ddeuddeg and me, either. They do interest Virgil & Monica,tho. We've been to Rancourt & bought a case of wine there two years ago. Small batch winery, old school.

Just my thoughts to explain why I picked the wineries that I did. I'm sure we'll be happy with whatever we wind up with. But I would like us to have as much diversity in icewines as possible since PB & Mrs. PB have never done the Festival.

BTW, dinner at Bourbon & Butter is scheduled for 7 PM. It's OK if we get there earlier. We can drop off bubblies before we head to Hydraulic.

No worries from us, really appreciate that you are looking out for us. But first time, we are really flexible. (And I do trust Justin's tastes.)

And, wow, you remembered I liked Kerner. Hardly remember the grape, but yes, I liked it.

polarbear22

wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda
justinrsanderson wrote:

Saturday Itinerary:

2:00
3:00
4:00

Tawse and Rancourt both look intersting. Aged Chard and a Gewurz both sound good.

Martini's? Meh. Peller? Commercial, and packed last time IIRC. Wier - Well, I don't recall, which means it wasn't that memorable.

B-t-Lines - usually reasonable prices, and good quality in the past.

Is there some small winery that is on the route, that we haven't tried before? We;re hitting a lot of the same ones we've gone to before, and I'm up to exploring some.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

tiger7610

quality posts: 20 Private Messages tiger7610

So if I could drive up with someone it would be very much appreciated. I would really prefer not to drive my old car north of the border. Anyone willing to drive me, and if yes what time should I meet with them, and where?

bahwm

tiger7610 wrote:So if I could drive up with someone it would be very much appreciated. I would really prefer not to drive my old car north of the border. Anyone willing to drive me, and if yes what time should I meet with them, and where?

Come to our house. Meet up time for carpooling to Dick & Jenny's is 9 AM. Safe travels. 😃

vwsmaltz

bahwm wrote:I was looking for diversity in wines when I came up with the list. Pillitteri is doing a Kerner Icewine with a NIagara Apple Fritter drizzled in a cinnamon icewine caramel sauce. I've NEVER had a Kerner icewine . I know that PB really likes Kerner. The barrel-aged Chard Icewine at Tawse sounds intriguing. I don't think I've ever had a chard icewine.

No issues regarding Megalomaniac - but I wasn't enthused in going there the first time either, but they use their icewine to make the drinks and they were amazing. If the group wants to skip, then we can run up and meet at the next one. I am pretty sure Monica and Lauren don't want us to skip it...

I'm finishing a few more things here at work - hope to leave by 3 for Buffalo. So we should be good to meetup around 5ish. I'll call Bonnie/Don and figure out where we are meeting.

Virgil

justinrsanderson

wkdpanda wrote:Tawse and Rancourt both look intersting. Aged Chard and a Gewurz both sound good.

Martini's? Meh. Peller? Commercial, and packed last time IIRC. Wier - Well, I don't recall, which means it wasn't that memorable.

B-t-Lines - usually reasonable prices, and good quality in the past.

Is there some small winery that is on the route, that we haven't tried before? We;re hitting a lot of the same ones we've gone to before, and I'm up to exploring some.

I'm up for Rancourt, sounds like an interesting winery. And the family appears to make shoes by hand.

The barrel aged chard at Tawse is a very memorable ice wine, a pretty special one, I think it warrants going there as they don't produce it every year (chard grapes are apparently difficult to harvest frozen).

That leaves room for one more. I'm up to try a new small one that's somewhere along the way.

Ravine Not very small, but Decanter winner, and they attribute it to unique Terroir. Homemade Spicy Chicken Meatball in a Molé sauce with Rosscoʼs Corn Bread, perfectly paired with 2013 Ravine Vidal Icewine

Strewn Sounds like an interesting pairing, and a rare small lot Ice Wine (don't mention the variety).warm mini waffle topped with Icewine, Niagara Maple Ice Jelly and Niagara "Apple Snow" paired with a delicious small-batch, collectors Icewine

Fielding This is right next to Mike Weir, and is highly regarded by some wine critics. They are pouring Riesling and Cab Franc. ‘chile con queso’ nachos topped with crumbled bacon and blue cheese. Paired with our 2012 Riesling Icewine or 2012 Cabernet Franc

Kew Wines. This is highly regarded also, not particularly involved in the festival, but they are supposed to make some great dry wines, and is a small family owned place. Not a discovery pass participant, but supposedly great dry wines

I'd be happy to go to any of the above. I'll make maps once we decide which one to try.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

tiger7610

Also wasnt Strewn was the one that also had a really good dry rose that we picked up one year?

justinrsanderson

tiger7610 wrote:Also wasnt Strewn was the one that also had a really good dry rose that we picked up one year?

I remember lots of Cab Franc Rose at Palatine Hills. I don't recall the Strewn labels, but might have been a year I missed.

polarbear22

Just checked in. 370 miles requires a rest. See you in a couple hours.

bahwm

First stop: Sportsmens around 6:15ish. Upstairs. Then to Flying Bison, which closes at 8:00, then to Hydraulic Hearth and then, chez nous.

justinrsanderson

We've come up with our proposed itinerary.

Here's a map.

9:30 Dick and Jenny's

45 Minute Drive to Jordan

11:15 Sue-Ann Staff
12:00 Kacaba
1:00 Tawse
1:45 Malivoire
2:30 Kew Vineyards

30 Minute Drive to Niagara-On-The-Lake

3:30 Pillitterri
4:00 Vignoble Rancourt
4:45 Strewn

bahwm

Don't forget your passports! See you at 9:30 at Dick & Jenny's.

polarbear22

Thanks to Bahwm and Ddeuddeg for organizing. It was great to see them again, and some of our woot friends from the area. And to meet three new wooters and their +1's.

The meal last night was epic. (totally lost for words to describe it.)

And thanks for the wootlegging. The rare bottle in my Wellington was the Field Blend 24. Wkdpanda was telling me about that wine last night, so very excited I get to try it.

vwsmaltz

We had a great time Friday night and Saturday during the day. Not being seafood lovers we skipped Saturday night, but we all had a great time! It was great seeing everybody!

Virgil and Monica
Lauren and Josh

polarbear22

vwsmaltz wrote:We had a great time Friday night and Saturday during the day. Not being seafood lovers we skipped Saturday night, but we all had a great time! It was great seeing everybody!

Virgil and Monica
Lauren and Josh

It was great meeting the four of you. Hope you had a great Saturday evening in Ontario.

The menu was about half seafood, and only a couple were sushi. So likely too much for your tastes. Though the foie gras and duck meatball were fantastic courses. If Mike ever does a dinner that is not seafood focused, I recommend that you make it. He does wonders with food.

bahwm

Pics and wine pairings are up on my FB page.

bahwm

Guys, can you please post your comments and thoughts about last night's dinner so that I put them into an email for Chef Mike. Thanks!

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen

We had a fantastic time!
It was great to meet up with woot friends both old and new.

Chef Mike really outdid himself with a 7-course dinner fit for kings and queens! The preparation and presentation of all seven courses was superb. The creativity and artistry displayed in each selection was awe inspiring. There are not enough superlatives to accurately describe the wondrous nature of the meal and the synergy that occurred between Chef Mike's creations and the wonderful bubbles which accompanied them.

tiger7610

I'm with chip. By the end of the night we ran out of superlatives. The dinner hit the high point with the foie gras pear course, and stayed there. I think I speak for everybody that we all could have licked our plates if it was allowed in polite company. The dishes were original, delicious, and really unique. If Chef Mike really needs taste tasters I'm sure we would all volunteer.

polarbear22

From my FB post:

Sublime. The meal was like a muscial composition. Took us up to a peak, and let us float there. And Ddueddeg and Wkdpanda did a wonderful job with the pairings. You would think we knew the menu and planned the wines.

The peak was the Foie Gras course. Though I will ever seek out duck meatballs.

bahwm

Thanks for the additional comments! I still have not sent the note to Chef Mike.

BTW, at 9 pm tonight I just got an email from my friend. She was really, really sick. Her friend picked her up and she stayed at her house and her friend cared for her--IIRC, her friend is a nurse. She is sooo sorry that she could not joined us. She had been looking forward to this dinner for several weeks--at least.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda

Dinner - Well, I'll second overall PB's opinion of the meal. Started good, and kept getting better, until a gentle finish with a light dessert.

--------------------------------------------------
Now - Tasting Table time (meaning, I'm picking little nits, to find something wrong with perfection)

First course - Nigiri

Two pieces of top quality sushi - one Salmon and one Hamachi. Garnish on the Hamachi was great. However, having had Mike A's sushi before, it was up to his usualy high standards, but not exceptional. Probably something we could have gotten off the regular menu at SeaBar - which also means you should go there and enjoy his sushi.

Second Course - Kumamoto Oysters

Just divine. Two small, but nicely plump oysters. The preserved lemon and chili oil made these oysters a perfect bite. Two was probably the right portion size. As a full sized appetizer on a regular menu, I wonder if half dozen would have worked as well (a bit of overload?)

Third course - Yellowfin Tuna Carpaccio

Great taste. Just great quality tuna, allowed to shine. Not a lot else to say. Don't think you could change a thing.

Fourth course - Grilled Octopus

This should be on a menu somewhere. Great cook on the octopus, a bit of the char-grill taste, tender. Nice dressing with the tomatoes. Best octopus I've had outside of an island somewhere.

Fifth course - Wine Poached Pear w/Foie Gras

This one had people raving. I think its on a menu at one of his restaurants. Go there, get it.

Two pear halves poached two ways (one with red, one white?), a foie gras mouse filling, with a round of foie gras on the plate. Just melt in your mouth good. Can't say I would change a thing.

Sixth course - Seared Hirame

Don't get me wrong here - it was good. I really liked the golden tomato confit it was served with. However, given the step up the ladder each course was taking us, getting better and better, this one was a bit mellow after the previous one. A simple delicate white fish. Tasty, but it seemed like a lull between the fifth and seven courses.

Seventh course - Duck meatball, with duck ravioli and broth

A great finish. A very good meatball, tender with lots of flavor. Ravioli that was cooked a perfect al'dente. A nice bite of protein to finish the dinner. Not too much, not too little. And the broth. Did I mention that yet? Lets just say that several people put the spoon down and picked the bowl up to get every drop. Again, something that should go on a menu somewhere.

Dessert - lemon tart, with a soft meringue

Crust was light, not a heavy graham crust. Lemon filling wonderfully tart. The meringue was toasted on top with a torch, but creamy inside, with bits of crystallized sugar. Just a great way to finish the dinner.
--------------------------------------------

Enough said. This is strictly my opinion of the meal, and I'm probably being overly critical, but I hope it helps.

--------------------------------------------
I don't remember if someone posted a list of the bubbly, but each course was paired well, and while I had a couple of opinions on where my contribution were placed, it was more of a discussion and consensus between us about the order. Like pairing a sparkling shiraz with the Pear and foie gras, which seemed like a no brainer at the time. However, the shiraz might have gone better with the Duck, and another bubbly could probably have gone with that course.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen

I know what you're saying about the Syrah pairing but I thought it was perfect with the red half of the poached pear.

WOTN for me (and Nancy) was Bernard Remy but they were all very good. As an aside, we got a kick out of the fact that the lone Rosé on Toutant's menu was the same Charles & Charles that we brought with us Friday night.

(Click image above to view full size)

bahwm

Food and wine pairings here:

Nigiri with yellow tail and salmon.
Wine pairing: 2002 Bernard Remy Millésime Champagne

Kumamoto Oysters from Washington State.
Wine Pairing: Szigeti Grüner Veltliner Brut Méthode Traditionnelle

Yellowfin Tuna Carpaccio toasted pepitas, pickled shisito
Wine Pairing: 2005 Cesarini Sforza Aquila Reale Riserva

Grilled Octopus with charred tomato
Wine Pairing: 2010 Iron Horse Hog Island Cuvée

Wine Poached Pear with Foie Gras
Wine Pairing: 2011 Bonny Doon Vineyard Sparkling Syrah Méthode Traditionnelle

Seared Hirame with Golden Tomato Confit
Wine Pairing: 2007 Iron Horse Brut Rosé

Duck Meatball with Duck Ravioli and Broth
Wine Pairing: Moët & Chandon Rosé Impérial Chanpagne

Something Sweet - a lemon meringue tart - light and fluffy as air!
Wine Pairing: 2002 Charles Ellner Seduction Champagne — at Bourbon and Butter.