takethefarmandrun

quality posts: 2 Private Messages takethefarmandrun

RPM, please, please count me in for the wait list. I'm a tour newbie and just found this (long-running!) thread but have dreamed of joining in these activities!

otolith

quality posts: 26 Private Messages otolith

Put me down as a + 1, although at this point it seems pretty pointless to even bother.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mwfielder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwfielder

Oh man. #81. This doesn't look good. Better stop reading the RPM threads or I'm going to get really depressed if we miss it...

zero, count 'em, zero quality posts...

rpm

quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
mwfielder wrote:Oh man. #81. This doesn't look good. Better stop reading the RPM threads or I'm going to get really depressed if we miss it...

Neither you nor otolith should despair: we have always had long, long waiting lists way in advance since the success of the 2008 rpm Magical History Tour.

And, as the time draws nearer, and deposits must be made, the broke, the faint-hearted, the pregnant, the work-busy, etc., etc. fall away and, ultimately, almost everyone on the list has the opportunity to come (albeit some at the last minute).

This is going to be a longer (and thus more expensive) Tour: 5 'Tour' days and a weekend on your own to pay for.

I suspect the cost will deter more than the usual number of prospective Tourists. (Although, in fairness, other Tourists have both pre- and post-gamed the Tour for anywhere from a day or two to a week on either or each end.)

Follow the thread and, as things draw nearer, you will have a better idea how things will shake out.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

txmusicman49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages txmusicman49

Well I'll bite the bullet and enter Becky and I to the list , which I haven't paid much attention to for a few months. Still not sure if the two-section tour is viable for us with our respective jobs, but it's too great an opportunity to not even try.

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON
txmusicman49 wrote:Well I'll bite the bullet and enter Becky and I to the list , which I haven't paid much attention to for a few months. Still not sure if the two-section tour is viable for us with our respective jobs, but it's too great an opportunity to not even try.

Was is Becky you brought in 2012?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

chipgreen

quality posts: 285 Private Messages chipgreen
txmusicman49 wrote:Well I'll bite the bullet and enter Becky and I to the list , which I haven't paid much attention to for a few months. Still not sure if the two-section tour is viable for us with our respective jobs, but it's too great an opportunity to not even try.

Glad to hear you and Becky are still together, you make a great couple! Nancy and I really enjoyed the time we spent with you on the tour. We probably won't be able to make this one as we are tentatively planning our wedding for mid-September/early-October 2016 and the timing is just too close along with financial concerns over wedding costs. Of course we will keep our names on the list for now though, who knows what can happen?

Regardless of our own attendance, I still think it would be nice if people could choose part A, part B or both legs of the tour. I know it would create some logistical issues but it would also make the tour more viable for some who can't commit to a full week and would allow a greater overall number of people to attend. Or it could at least be a "plan B" if too many people drop out of the full week tour.

bsevern

quality posts: 115 Private Messages bsevern

Congrats Chip!!

I tied the knot last weekend!

chipgreen

bsevern wrote:Congrats Chip!!

Congrats Brian!

rjquillin

quality posts: 286 Private Messages rjquillin

Absolutely congrats.
Good seeing both of you at D&D this year.

CT

rpm

Heartiest Congratulations!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ianchudson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianchudson

Please prune back my +2/+3, in light of all that's going on (even if I make the first cut) I'll just bring my wife. We've also just booked a trip to CA for this fall, too. So I'll bring tag-alongs then.

<3

chipgreen

JOATMON wrote:Was is Becky you brought in 2012?

It was someone else.

mwfielder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwfielder
rpm wrote:Neither you nor otolith should despair: we have always had long, long waiting lists way in advance since the success of the 2008 rpm Magical History Tour.

And, as the time draws nearer, and deposits must be made, the broke, the faint-hearted, the pregnant, the work-busy, etc., etc. fall away and, ultimately, almost everyone on the list has the opportunity to come (albeit some at the last minute).

This is going to be a longer (and thus more expensive) Tour: 5 'Tour' days and a weekend on your own to pay for.

I suspect the cost will deter more than the usual number of prospective Tourists. (Although, in fairness, other Tourists have both pre- and post-gamed the Tour for anywhere from a day or two to a week on either or each end.)

Follow the thread and, as things draw nearer, you will have a better idea how things will shake out.

Yay! Hope lifted! Just spent a couple of days in Napa/Sonoma (another thread), and that just whet my appetite for more wine info! (and wine!)

zero, count 'em, zero quality posts...

tomatillo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages tomatillo

[quote postid="5920275" user="JOATMON"]

Please add me and swmbo to the wait list. (2)

txmusicman49

JOATMON wrote:Was is Becky you brought in 2012?

No, in 2010 it was Anne, in 2012 it was Mike, a work-mate from our Chicago office, who got a hall pass from his wife for the trip. Becky made the trip in 2014 and had a blast.

txmusicman49

chipgreen wrote:Glad to hear you and Becky are still together, you make a great couple! Nancy and I really enjoyed the time we spent with you on the tour. We probably won't be able to make this one as we are tentatively planning our wedding for mid-September/early-October 2016 and the timing is just too close along with financial concerns over wedding costs. Of course we will keep our names on the list for now though, who knows what can happen?

Regardless of our own attendance, I still think it would be nice if people could choose part A, part B or both legs of the tour. I know it would create some logistical issues but it would also make the tour more viable for some who can't commit to a full week and would allow a greater overall number of people to attend. Or it could at least be a "plan B" if too many people drop out of the full week tour.

Hey, congrats to you and Nancy. I know of the financial perils of weddings and planning for such. I tend to agree about a two-part trip as I'm not sure that we could/would want to commit to such a long time frame for several reasons, although I'm sure it would be quite awesome after it's all said and done. Keep us posted on the wedding plans.

joelsisk

quality posts: 11 Private Messages joelsisk

Bump. a year out... and counting!

darlenee1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages darlenee1

What the hell. Add me and my +1. Now that we are both teachers(plenty of time off in the summer), and have many friends to visit out on the Left Coast(we can extend the trip by weeks!), maybe this will be the year I make an rpm tour!

Be the change you want to see in the world

Globetrekkerdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Globetrekkerdave

I've heard great things about your tours from friends who have taken them. I see it's a long list especially for a newbie, but I hope I can join you on the next wine trip.
Globetrekkerdave + 1

Globetrekkerdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Globetrekkerdave

Please add me to your list - #95 Globetrekkerdave + 1 I've heard great things about your tours from others who have gone in the past. Hope to join you this next time!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 69 Private Messages jmdavidson

Only 9 months until the 2016 tour. Is anyone working on it? Does that person need any help?

ianchudson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianchudson
jmdavidson wrote:Only 9 months until the 2016 tour. Is anyone working on it? Does that person need any help?

I'm also willing to help with any sort of logistics and planning as needed!

socrates2012

quality posts: 0 Private Messages socrates2012

Was planning on making the half-day drive out to Lodi one of these days, might as well do it when there's someone well versed in the area and their wines! Didn't even know about this event until Revelry was on the block.

Can you sign myself and an extra up? Thanks!

exlaxer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages exlaxer

I've been very interested in RPM's Tours for years, would love to have the chance to partake with my lovely bride. Please add me +1! In the meantime I'll finish reading the thread and learn the evolving plan.

I hope you can sleep at night knowing that you just made me buy 3.

silvermorph

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silvermorph

I'd like to jump on the list too: silvermorph, just me by my lonesome

serenitysk8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages serenitysk8r

Add me to the list too, please. Now that I'm retired I have the time to do things like this and I'd love to join you all as a newbie!

wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda

Are we ever going to get an official thread that we can sign up on? Where the actual details (dates, cost, format, etc.) will show up?

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON
wkdpanda wrote:Are we ever going to get an official thread that we can sign up on? Where the actual details (dates, cost, format, etc.) will show up?

Whatcha talkin' 'bout, Willis? This thread is the signup thread. RPM monitors the thread, and I'm hoping at some point we get information from him. I will update as information is given out.

When? Based on the 2014 tour, pretty late.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf

Hi. For various reasons (e.g. divorce, AIDS Lifecycle, etc.) I've never been able to do the tour. I'd like to be added to the waitlist, though. With a (new!) +1. My email is this username at Gmail. Easy peasy.

rlmanzo

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rlmanzo

Just coming across this thread and feel WAY late to the party.

Please add me and SWMBO to the wait list.

We narrowly missed going last time....

Hoping the timing works this go-round!

Is it broke or just fractured?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 231 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

On the bright side, my Foppiano PS futures purchased on last year's RPM Tour will be shipped on Monday.

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

fred2001

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fred2001

Would like to get my name down with a +1. Many thanks.

ryannel

sosptuba

quality posts: 13 Private Messages sosptuba

RPM - PM for you

rpm

The exact dates for the 2016 rpm Tour are still fluid, but we are currently aiming for the weeks of July 11-15th and 18-20th.

This is not firm enough to make reservations yet, but as you begin to look to firm up your 2016 plans, keep these weeks free if you think you're going to do the Tour. And, if you're on the list (especially if you're high on the list) and you already have conflicts that would preclude participation both weeks, please bow out and let someone else have a shot at making the Tour.

The size limit on the Tour is 35 - which to be honest is pushing it. It's hard for me to give everyone the personal attention they deserve with such a large group. If I had my druthers, I'd really prefer to keep it to 25, but we always seem to end up at 28-35 in the end no matter what.

We will post further when we know more.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cortot20

quality posts: 293 Private Messages cortot20
rpm wrote:The exact dates for the 2016 rpm Tour are still fluid, but we are currently aiming for the weeks of July 11-15th and 18-20th.

This is not firm enough to make reservations yet, but as you begin to look to firm up your 2016 plans, keep these weeks free if you think you're going to do the Tour. And, if you're on the list (especially if you're high on the list) and you already have conflicts that would preclude participation both weeks, please bow out and let someone else have a shot at making the Tour.

The size limit on the Tour is 35 - which to be honest is pushing it. It's hard for me to give everyone the personal attention they deserve with such a large group. If I had my druthers, I'd really prefer to keep it to 25, but we always seem to end up at 28-35 in the end no matter what.

We will post further when we know more.

thank you for the update, much appreciated.

CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 32 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
rpm wrote:The exact dates for the 2016 rpm Tour are still fluid, but we are currently aiming for the weeks of July 11-15th and 18-20th.

Am I correct that the plan is to have it be a single signup for both "weeks" with Part 1 of the tour happening with people having the weekend "free" and then continuing with Part 2? Such that you need to be available for both in order to sign up? I know that's one of the things that was originally discussed, but I want to confirm what the current thinking is.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

rpm

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Am I correct that the plan is to have it be a single signup for both "weeks" with Part 1 of the tour happening with people having the weekend "free" and then continuing with Part 2? Such that you need to be available for both in order to sign up? I know that's one of the things that was originally discussed, but I want to confirm what the current thinking is.

Yes, that's the current thinking: the first 3-4 days will be in Lodi and Amador, then the group will move (each on his or her own) to Napanoma for 2-3 days. Total time on Tour will be between 5 and 7 days, depending on winery selection, availability, and interestingness to the gentiles organisateurs... If 4 days L/A, arrive for 11th evening gathering; if 3 arrive for 12th evening gathering.... no repeat of evening gather Sunday night in Napanoma (location TBD).... then 2-3 days Napanoma....

This is a 'heavyweight' tour plan and the idea was (is) that it's primarily for vets looking to combine something new with some favorites in the serious stuff category.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda
rpm wrote:Yes, that's the current thinking: the first 3-4 days will be in Lodi and Amador, then the group will move (each on his or her own) to Napanoma for 2-3 days. Total time on Tour will be between 5 and 7 days, depending on winery selection, availability, and interestingness to the gentiles organisateurs... If 4 days L/A, arrive for 11th evening gathering; if 3 arrive for 12th evening gathering.... no repeat of evening gather Sunday night in Napanoma (location TBD).... then 2-3 days Napanoma....

This is a 'heavyweight' tour plan and the idea was (is) that it's primarily for vets looking to combine something new with some favorites in the serious stuff category.

Thanks for the updates! Been getting a little worried on the timeline, as we are now only 6 months from the proposed dates.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316
rpm wrote:Yes, that's the current thinking: the first 3-4 days will be in Lodi and Amador, then the group will move (each on his or her own) to Napanoma for 2-3 days. Total time on Tour will be between 5 and 7 days, depending on winery selection, availability, and interestingness to the gentiles organisateurs... If 4 days L/A, arrive for 11th evening gathering; if 3 arrive for 12th evening gathering.... no repeat of evening gather Sunday night in Napanoma (location TBD).... then 2-3 days Napanoma....

So us newbies, no matter high up on the list, should likely make other summer plans?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013