rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
bhodilee wrote:DID YOU SEE THE SOLAR STREETS???

That's way cool

Where would I have seen them?
Wait. .this. ?
gotta read...

CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
otolith wrote:Question for the air travelers. We're going to go on a flight this summer. I'm thinking of my wife and I flying in first class, and the kids, age 9&12, in coach. I tend to have anxiety around flying, and it is much less when I don't have to wait in line so long to get on the plane, or through TSA. We'd have the kids in economy comfort, so they'd be able to board at the same time.

Thoughts? I'm inclined to do it since they are old enough and fly well.

Sorry I didn't answer earlier, but I've been too busy flying ;)

Unfortunately what you seek to do is almost certainly verboten. It would depend on the airline you are flying what age is 'old enough' to fly w/o an adult in the same cabin, but I'm sure nobody allows an unaccompanied 9 year old.

What will happen if you attempt this is your wife and one kid in Business class, and you in coach with the other ;) Do they have a college age cousin who would take a free trip to wherever? One extra coach seat is a lot less than 2 more Business class ones...

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Just wanted to stop in and say hello and hope that all the SoCal peeps are OK and not having too much trouble with the wildfires.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:Where would I have seen them?
Wait. .this. ?
gotta read...

My only main concern is in areas with hail. Seems like any heavy hail would do major damage.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:Just wanted to stop in and say hello and hope that all the SoCal peeps are OK and not having too much trouble with the wildfires.

And how are things going??? And when you dropping by for more Philippes?

I think RJ is the only one right now to worry about, with all the wildfires down SD way.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tommythecat78

MarkDaSpark wrote:And how are things going??? And when you dropping by for more Philippes?

I think RJ is the only one right now to worry about, with all the wildfires down SD way.

Isn't Nallie down that way also?

I am doing well. Still burning the midnight oil. Interests have changed slightly (obviously) but I still drink a bottle here and there. I think I am down to the 60-70 bottle range now. I can imagine that you have finally just gone ahead and bought your own wine storage facility instead of having 15 different lockers by now. ;)

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM...Philippes

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MarkDaSpark wrote:My only main concern is in areas with hail. Seems like any heavy hail would do major damage.

They claim no, but I would share that same concern. Also, dirt.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:Where would I have seen them?
Wait. .this. ?
gotta read...

CNN article

Designboom

Who knew EE's could be so cool

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:And how are things going??? And when you dropping by for more Philippes?

We did have one here in Lakeside late afternoon Wednesday, 5.8 mi SSE of us. This one was from downed power lines from the wind and was only ~17 acres or so and was contained by 19:00.

The biggie here was the Cedar fire in '03. That one came within a few hundred yards very quickly and we woke to hear propane tanks going up well before sunrise.
Emergency services were totally unprepared unprepared and many lost their lives.

Much has been learned since that one and the next large one in 2007, and even more for those this week.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
bhodilee wrote:CNN article

Designboom

Wow! That is pretty cool, although I wonder how well they would work when it is -30 in Jan in MN.

EE doing something cool ≠ EE are cool

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:Isn't Nallie down that way also?

I am doing well. Still burning the midnight oil. Interests have changed slightly (obviously) but I still drink a bottle here and there. I think I am down to the 60-70 bottle range now. I can imagine that you have finally just gone ahead and bought your own wine storage facility instead of having 15 different lockers by now. ;)

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM...Philippes

Yes, but do you really think any Fire would dare to threaten Nallie and family? Inconceivable!!!

And not yet on the whole facility thing. I did however, upgrade to a walk-in unit, sharing with zTimothyBz.

Glad to hear things are well. It's not the same, without the night owls ... and Nallie posting she's going to bed 3 or 4 times.

cortot20

quality posts: 131 Private Messages cortot20
bhodilee wrote:CNN article

Designboom

Why pave your roads with this which I am sure is super costly and more fragile than traditional asphalt or cement. They should focus on making roofing materials(shingles) out of this stuff.

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cortot20 wrote:Why pave your roads with this which I am sure is super costly and more fragile than traditional asphalt or cement. They should focus on making roofing materials(shingles) out of this stuff.

Done

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

cortot20 wrote:Why pave your roads with this which I am sure is super costly and more fragile than traditional asphalt or cement. They should focus on making roofing materials(shingles) out of this stuff.

They're pretty sure they can get the cost equivalent down to that of asphalt, and that's before you factor in the free energy. I'm thinking even if it doesn't pan out as a roadway, what about sidewalks and driveways? If I could make my two driveways out of this stuff and power my house? yes please.

Some company out of Australia was working on a paint at one point also.

cortot20

North316 wrote: Done

I was thinking more of a traditional looking roof shingle. To me that's still ugly.

CT

cortot20

bhodilee wrote:They're pretty sure they can get the cost equivalent down to that of asphalt, and that's before you factor in the free energy. I'm thinking even if it doesn't pan out as a roadway, what about sidewalks and driveways? If I could make my two driveways out of this stuff and power my house? yes please.

Some company out of Australia was working on a paint at one point also.

Maybe, but I am very skeptical of what kind of weight they can take. Yes, I saw the video of the Tractor. And the cost maybe cheap once they mass produce it but I Garuntee the labor to install isn't. Sorry, I work at a large engineering company and tend to have a pessimistic view on what companies trying to sell a new product promise.

CT

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:Sorry, I work at a large engineering company and tend to have a pessimistic view on what companies trying to sell a new product promise.

So put it in your pipe and smoke it.

If they can insure durability, I'd still question the location; shade != production.

CT

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:So put it in your pipe and smoke it.

If they can insure durability, I'd still question the location; shade != production.

How many streets see full shade the entire day though?

This first product is more like a proof of concept, but if the proof is there, it could be made more durable and cheaper by others.

mother

bhodilee wrote:How many streets see full shade the entire day though?

This first product is more like a proof of concept, but if the proof is there, it could be made more durable and cheaper by others.

I'm inclined to agree with Cortot- a structured roadway system has got to be much more difficult to install than asphalt superpave...

rjquillin

mother wrote:I'm inclined to agree with Cortot- a structured roadway system has got to be much more difficult to install than asphalt superpave...

I was also thinking of that sidewalk, or drive, next to the building. Unless it's on an unshaded south side production will suffer.

CT

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:I was thinking more of a traditional looking roof shingle. To me that's still ugly.

It's a lot better than the panels!!

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:It's a lot better than the panels!!

The real shame of it is that those Solyndra panels were cool looking...

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:The real shame of it is that those Solyndra panels were cool looking...

Didn't they go into bankruptcy? So wouldn't someone buy the patent/design and be able to implement it?

Oh wait, that would make too much sense!

Edit: I like that several institutions are using Solar Panels as part of their parking schemes. Provides shade and electricity. Score!

tommythecat78

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes, but do you really think any Fire would dare to threaten Nallie and family? Inconceivable!!!

And not yet on the whole facility thing. I did however, upgrade to a walk-in unit, sharing with zTimothyBz.

Glad to hear things are well. It's not the same, without the night owls ... and Nallie posting she's going to bed 3 or 4 times.

You are right about Nallie...for all we know she finally found jwhite and the wildfires are the cover up of a particularly gruesome corpse. ;)

Very cool on the walk in unit. With any luck I can make it out that way sometime this year.

How are things going with you (besides walk in wine storage)?

And everyone else? It has been a while since I have talked to/typed at everyone. I lurk every now and then, but not as much as I used to. I need to rectify that situation and stop by more often!

MarkDaSpark

Tomorrow is, Jumped the Shark!

Happy Birthday to NonnaWY!!

Happy Birthday to NonnaWY!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
rjquillin wrote:I was also thinking of that sidewalk, or drive, next to the building. Unless it's on an unshaded south side production will suffer.

I would love to do this with my drive. To no longer have to shovel, and get some electricity out of it as well, would be awesome.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:I would love to do this with my drive. To no longer have to shovel, and get some electricity out of it as well, would be awesome.

I'm not sure how well it work work with heavy snowfall. And the electrical cost to heat the pads might off-set the benefits of any electricity generated.

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
MarkDaSpark wrote:I'm not sure how well it work work with heavy snowfall. And the electrical cost to heat the pads might off-set the benefits of any electricity generated.

well sure... expensive though. Maybe while you're waiting for that to become economically feasible, you could look into wine bottle paving

ETA: hmm, this was supposed to be in response to DocO's post

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:well sure... expensive though. Maybe while you're waiting for that to become economically feasible, you could look into wine bottle paving

ETA: hmm, this was supposed to be in response to DocO's post

Couldn't be me, I would have to drink my wine!!!

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:Couldn't be me, I would have to drink my wine!!!

Says who?

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
tommythecat78 wrote:You are right about Nallie...for all we know she finally found jwhite and the wildfires are the cover up of a particularly gruesome corpse. ;)

Very cool on the walk in unit. With any luck I can make it out that way sometime this year.

How are things going with you (besides walk in wine storage)?

And everyone else? It has been a while since I have talked to/typed at everyone. I lurk every now and then, but not as much as I used to. I need to rectify that situation and stop by more often!

Hey, TtheC! Great to hear from you! I was just thinking about you the other day! Are you still with the lovely Ms. S? We haven't seen you in a dog's age! Come on out sometime. We should be around most of the summer. What about a trip to see Henry V or The Comedy of Errors? We might even be able to get a few people together for a gathering!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

I'm really not sober and the trader joes rum is really good.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
bhodilee wrote:I'm really not sober and the trader joes rum is really good.

Spiced or standard? Tell us more, lots more. We're all listening intently.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bhodilee

cmaldoon wrote:Spiced or standard? Tell us more, lots more. We're all listening intently.

Spiced. My rum exposure is basically Morgan's, so I'm no expert. This has vanilla, caramel and cinnamon notes and is pretty smooth. 8 bucks for 750ml can't be beat. I poured like half into a cored pineapple for three hours. Now I i'm drinking it. And I'm happy

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Since I pretty much turned into a lurker for now, just an update still in a PhD program at Cornell, finally got some data, so analysis and stats and more stats, but hopefully will get out to the wineries and to buffalo to see shakespeare

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
bhodilee wrote:Spiced. My rum exposure is basically Morgan's, so I'm no expert. This has vanilla, caramel and cinnamon notes and is pretty smooth. 8 bucks for 750ml can't be beat. I poured like half into a cored pineapple for three hours. Now I i'm drinking it. And I'm happy

That does sound rather delicious.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
bhodilee wrote:Spiced. My rum exposure is basically Morgan's, so I'm no expert. This has vanilla, caramel and cinnamon notes and is pretty smooth. 8 bucks for 750ml can't be beat. I poured like half into a cored pineapple for three hours. Now I i'm drinking it. And I'm happy

Seek out some Pusser's Navy Rum.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
joelsisk wrote:Hey, Doc. You make a final decision about CO yet?

PM for you about CO.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

klezman wrote:Seek out some Pusser's Navy Rum.

That name is nasty. Do they squeeze it from fresh sailors?

bhodilee

InFrom wrote:That does sound rather delicious.

It really was, I need to get into high end rum like I need syphilis. Which is to say, procuring it is fun, but then you're full of regret afterwards.