chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
MarkDaSpark wrote:Note that if you contribute a minimum of $20 (suggested to contribute more if you have more inventory) gets you to Premium membership on CellarTracker.

Which gets you "scores (but not review text) from several content channels including Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar, John Gilman's View From the Cellar, and Brad Baker's Champagne Warrior."

So you get scoring from others on CT, but also those.

Premium membership also enables "community average" prices on the wines which is even more valuable to me than the scores.

chipgreen

edthebedhead wrote:So, rjquillin's post had me thinking...

What do you all do with your corks?
Post suggestions here - maybe thunder can make this the next poll!

EDIT: or screw tops, not to discriminate against threaded bottles o' vino.

I do this....

....with the oversized Bordeaux glass from WW.

chipgreen

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Funny you should ask. Iwas wondering that too. Started getting into wine about 25ish years ago and for some reason starting saving corks. Still do. We have literally thousands of them.

I have no idea what I was thinking, especially since I am not the "crafty" type. I'm creative with cooking, and with spreadsheets (don't ask), but I break out in hives at the mention of a hot glue gun or when I go near a Michael's.

I would love to see them go to good use. Any suggestions?

ReCork!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chipgreen wrote:Premium membership also enables "community average" prices on the wines which is even more valuable to me than the scores.

Yes, but people aren't always accurate in that. Some only put the price of the wine, not the overall cost (sales tax, shipping, etc.) of the wine.

Which is why I always put in the actual cost, and also edit the value (cost prior to any discount from the winery).

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes, but people aren't always accurate in that. Some only put the price of the wine, not the overall cost (sales tax, shipping, etc.) of the wine.

Which is why I always put in the actual cost, and also edit the value (cost prior to any discount from the winery).

So for you, "actual cost" is in/ex-clusive of tax and delivery?
No, I haven't finished my coffee yet.

CT

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
chipgreen wrote:I do this....

....with the oversized Bordeaux glass from WW.

Only the last couple years' worth:

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:So for you, "actual cost" is in/ex-clusive of tax and delivery?
No, I haven't finished my coffee yet.

What part of accurate is confusing you?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:What part of accurate is confusing you?

Easter is over.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:Easter is over.

Never!!! I still have Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs!!!

And leftovers!

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
joelsisk wrote:not earth shattering, but interesting thoughts nonetheless, and I didn't see this posted earlier...wine chilling hacks
And DocO, PM for you

Those are pretty cool -- wondering if I could combine two of the suggestions, which would be to fill the ice cream maker with not just ice water but salty ice water, let it spin a while, and voila!

We got a set of these wine drops as a wedding gift, but they're still in the box. Turns out real estate in our freezer is too scarce. I think it may be time for a Spring cleaning in there, one of these weekends...

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
rjquillin wrote:Trash day today.
Does anyone else wonder, or even care, what the neighbors think/say when things like this occur week after week at your curb?
Do you ever move them over to your neighbor, just to share?

Our recycling only comes every two weeks, so it looks especially bad at my house. I admit to paying attention to other people's recycling in hopes of finding "wine friends" here in the neighborhood. So far not much luck. I don't know what is wrong with these folks.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Iron Horse Tut cuvee up on last bottle

edit: and now it's gone

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

You could always go outside late at night after the neighbors are asleep and have put out the recycling and just spread out the wine bottles. I want to know what the recycling companies think after wine.woot gatherings

chemvictim wrote:Our recycling only comes every two weeks, so it looks especially bad at my house. I admit to paying attention to other people's recycling in hopes of finding "wine friends" here in the neighborhood. So far not much luck. I don't know what is wrong with these folks.

rjquillin

Need advice.
Going to a BdX tasting in an hour with five producers each pouring two vintages; current and older.

Taste the current first, then the old to see how it evolves?

or something else?

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
rjquillin wrote:Need advice.
Going to a BdX tasting in an hour with five producers each pouring two vintages; current and older.

Taste the current first, then the old to see how it evolves?

or something else?

You are already well into it, but I think I would do the same. But I have never had the opportunity, so don't know what works best. Let us know what you think you will do next time.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
polarbear22 wrote:You are already well into it, but I think I would do the same. But I have never had the opportunity, so don't know what works best. Let us know what you think you will do next time.

I would go through older first. The youth/power of the newer vintages may ruin your palate for the older vintages.

CT

rjquillin

polarbear22 wrote:You are already well into it, but I think I would do the same. But I have never had the opportunity, so don't know what works best. Let us know what you think you will do next time.

I gotta think about this a bit, and review my notes; but I think I'm doomed to really liking older BdX.
Not good for the wallet.
Sauternes were sublime.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mommadeb1 wrote:Iron Horse Tut cuvee up on last bottle

edit: and now it's gone

Sad. That's one I don't think I've ever even tried. Would have actually gotten some of that (not that we have the money to do so right now ) to add to our stash.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Sad. That's one I don't think I've ever even tried. Would have actually gotten some of that (not that we have the money to do so right now ) to add to our stash.

Come visit us SoCal folk and we'll make sure you get to try some.

Anybody in SoCal getting more Toothstejn? Thinking shipping split now that I've tried one.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Come visit us SoCal folk and we'll make sure you get to try some.

Anybody in SoCal getting more Toothstejn? Thinking shipping split now that I've tried one.

Indeed, we'll pull a cork on the Tut.

Toothy split works too.

CT

joelsisk

Someone explain to me how Tøøthstejnn can be 57% off list/retail?

rjquillin

deleted, can't get a link to work

CT

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:Someone explain to me how Tøøthstejnn can be 57% off list/retail?

Interesting ... February Offer:

Woot Cellars Tøøthstejnn The Red, The Grimy Wyvern Wine-Hall Cabernet Franc 4-Pack
$49.99 $115.00 57% off List Price
2009 Woot Cellars Tøøthstejnn The Red, The Grimy Wyvern Wine-Hall Cabernet Franc

57% off at $115 in February. Although if you look at the Sales Spec part of the Cabba Dabba Doo Toothy page, it does say $150, not $115.

Offer back in November was also $49.99 for 4 bottles.

I suspect it's the retail price of the same wine from the winery.

mommadeb1

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Sad. That's one I don't think I've ever even tried. Would have actually gotten some of that (not that we have the money to do so right now ) to add to our stash.

Mr. Mommadeb is not going to be happy when he see's the 2 different IH show up!! shhh maybe he won't notice

InFrom

mommadeb1 wrote:Mr. Mommadeb is not going to be happy when he see's the 2 different IH show up!! shhh maybe he won't notice

How long will he be away at that competition? I just got the shipping notice for the woot-off one.

joelsisk

MarkDaSpark wrote:Interesting ... (snip)

I suspect it's the retail price of the same wine from the winery.

The winery only lists 3 cab sauvs... and nothing else.

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:The winery only lists 3 cab sauvs... and nothing else.

If they made it for public sale. Duh!

mommadeb1

InFrom wrote:How long will he be away at that competition? I just got the shipping notice for the woot-off one.

heee heee they are home Sunday night.. I too got shipping notice... I have a feeling I'm in trouble.... esp since the lat bottle marathon isn't over!!

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Indeed, we'll pull a cork on the Tut.

Toothy split works too.

Goddammit, it sold out while I was at dinner! I was coming to finalize the purchase! Maybe TPTB will take pity on me. Or Ron will share his.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Goddammit, it sold out while I was at dinner! I was coming to finalize the purchase! Maybe TPTB will take pity on me. Or Ron will share his.

tagged two for you when I made the CT entries.
That enuf?

CT

InFrom

rjquillin wrote:tagged two for you when I made the CT entries.
That enuf?

Lucky you, klez!

klezman

rjquillin wrote:tagged two for you when I made the CT entries.
That enuf?

I can handle that
Thanks!

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm

Does anybody have any good Cinco de Mayo appetizers that they can share? Thanks!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chipgreen

bahwm wrote:Does anybody have any good Cinco de Mayo appetizers that they can share? Thanks!

Empanadas!

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Does anybody have any good Cinco de Mayo appetizers that they can share? Thanks!

My Super Secret Chili-Cheese Dip recipe:

Chili Cheese Dip

INGREDIENTS
1 (15-ounce) can HORMEL® Chili No Beans
1 (1-pound) package pasteurized prepared cheese product (i.e., Velveeta), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 bunch green onions, cut
1 small can, diced green chili's
1 (1-pound) cheddar cheese, cubed

DIRECTIONS
In medium microwave-safe bowl, stir together chili, onions, green chili's, cheddar cheese, and cheese product; cover. Microwave on HIGH (100%); stirring once, 4½ to 5 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.

Serve with corn chips, if desired.

Edit: Actually, I left out two ingredients. Corrected above.

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
chipgreen wrote:Empanadas!

Great idea! Can you have them here by 6 PM next Saturday?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

Velveta != cheese, perhaps not even 'cheese product'.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
MarkDaSpark wrote:My Super Secret Chili-Cheese Dip recipe:

Chili Cheese Dip

INGREDIENTS
1 (15-ounce) can HORMEL® Chili No Beans
1 (1-pound) package pasteurized prepared cheese product (i.e., Velveeta), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 bunch green onions, cut

DIRECTIONS
In medium microwave-safe bowl, stir together chili, onions, and cheese product; cover. Microwave on HIGH (100%); stirring once, 4½ to 5 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.

Serve with corn chips, if desired.

Um......... You're now going to have to rename that recipe.

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Velveta != cheese, perhaps not even 'cheese product'.

You get an "F" for spelling and understanding ... technically, Velveeta is a "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product", aka Processed Cheese (basically a food product made from a normal cheese plus other ingredients.