jcbodley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcbodley

I was under the impression that traditionally apples used in cider were not the type which are normally eaten. Did you guys use the apples you did simply because of availability? Is this a common practice in the cider industry in WA (if you can even call it that)?

raisedbywolves

quality posts: 34 Private Messages raisedbywolves
jcbodley wrote:I was under the impression that traditionally apples used in cider were not the type which are normally eaten. Did you guys use the apples you did simply because of availability? Is this a common practice in the cider industry in WA (if you can even call it that)?

Traditionally heirloom apples are used for cider apples. I do have access to them but wanted to try something new and different and it worked. We will be releasing an heirloom variety at some point in the near future but for now we'll stick with the 3-g blend.

xibbumbero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero

I like Crispin "The Saint" hard cider because it's unfiltered.
Is the Attila cider filtered?

raisedbywolves

xibbumbero wrote:I like Crispin "The Saint" hard cider because it's unfiltered.
Is the Attila cider filtered?

It is cross flowed filter after fermentation and filtered at .45 micron just prior to bottling.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Thanks to Attila/Raised by Wolves for offering up this fine cider. Attila reinforcing the quality we've already come to expect from Raised by Wolves.

We didn't chose this cider as the inaugural offer lightly- WineDavid himself tasted and approved.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
raisedbywolves wrote:It is cross flowed filter after fermentation and filtered at .45 micron just prior to bottling.

As the Attila and Julian were rather similar, can you speak to how common these techniques are, and other techniques that may be used in the production of other products, perhaps considered of lesser quality?

Again, thanks for jumping in.

CT

raisedbywolves

rjquillin wrote:As the Attila and Julian were rather similar, can you speak to how common these techniques are, and other techniques that may be used in the production of other products, perhaps considered of lesser quality?

The Julian folks are good friends of mine and have helped me along the way. We both use top quality apples from the Northwest Similar Techniques From Fermentation, Filtering And Bottling. With that said lesser quality cider use concentrates, artificial and some natural flavors creating the perfect headache the morn. They may taste good but you get what you pay for.

xibbumbero

rjquillin wrote:As the Attila and Julian were rather similar, can you speak to how common these techniques are, and other techniques that may be used in the production of other products, perhaps considered of lesser quality?

I've had the Julian cider and did not like it at all. I found it to have a slight vinegar undertone and very little apple taste.
I was tempted to try the Attila but if it tastes like the Julian cider,I'll pass.

rjquillin

xibbumbero wrote:I've had the Julian cider and did not like it at all. I found it to have a slight vinegar undertone and very little apple taste.
I was tempted to try the Attila but if it tastes like the Julian cider,I'll pass.

My 'similar' comment was addressing color and clarity, not taste.
The Julian, upon additional tasting this morning, was considerably more tart than the Attila.

CT

xibbumbero

rjquillin wrote:My 'similar' comment was addressing color and clarity, not taste.
The Julian, upon additional tasting this morning, was considerably more tart than the Attila.

Did you get any vinegar taste? Also,I found the Julian cider very thin.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
MarkDaSpark wrote:A flying monkey also threw one my way, but forgot to include a note when it would go up.

Will report tomorrow, early as possible, since it's way too late now to open one. Plus, I'm hoping JavaDrinker & CoffeeMate will be available.

The label said Gluten Free, which should please CoffeeMate.

Edit: They're also on Facebook

Java & Coffee were unavailable, so just my notes. First time for Hard Cider (that I recall anyway).

Also compared it to another Hard Cider. I picked Crispin's Original, since someone mentioned it.

Both were chilled, and I used Pilsner glasses (which were recommended for the bubbles).

Visual:

Attila is a lighter, very pale yellow (as seen in kyle's photo), and the Crispin's was a deeper yellow.

Each was poured slowly into the glass, yet the Attila still had small bubbles flowing up, even 10 minutes after the Crispin's stopped.

Aroma & Taste:

Attila has something on the nose, not unpleasant, not funky, just ... something. Maybe it's the Bosc pear and red apple notes a reviewer mentioned. I'm not sure I would guess it's a Apple Cider from the aroma.

Crispin's definitely has apple on the nose. Very pleasant.

Attila's taste is dry, not sweet at all. I get a little apple, but not what I would expect from a Hard Apple Cider (not having had one before).

Crispin's is a little more tart, and the finish isn't as long as Attila's. But you get the apple notes in it. Really short finish.

Sorry to say, neither one lights my fire to buy Hard Apple Ciders.

I didn't get metallic on either one, but I thinking the smell on the Attila is reminiscent of the petroleum odor you get with some wines. But it still has plenty of those tiny bubbles!!!

Of course, I like beer (Lagers, Stouts, then IPA's), tannic wines (PS ftw!), and sweet wines (Port, Madeira, Sherry, Late Harvest (not so much Ice Wines that are syrupy)). So perhaps that contributes to not being fired up on Hard Apple Cider.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

wow, took the day off and look what happened... fisty group today, lol

rjquillin

xibbumbero wrote:Did you get any vinegar taste? Also,I found the Julian cider very thin.

In the Julian, what I found tart/acidic didn't remind me of vinegar, but it was tart.
The Attila did not exhibit anything close to that level of tartness, but just the slightest hint of sweetness, balancing any tartness. No vinegar.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

SWMBO really liked this cider. That says a lot about it. I think Sparky's notes are really great. The only difference is I compared it to an Angry Orchard. It doesn't have a very "thick" flavor to me (if that makes sense). I'm sick but could taste a bit.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

I like hard cider and even Mr. Mommadeb likes it!! I also love all the participation today!! I have no room for 12 bottles right now... maybe, as others have suggested, for future offers.... a 4 or 6 pack....Thanks!

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
trifecta wrote:Despite some of the wining about price, I am stoked to see an active discussion today. Its been a while.

I have a bottle of this at home, which I intended to drink today on my day off. Now I'm working. Grump. I'll be home later today and will pop it from the fridge into the freezer for a bit.

SWMBO is a fan of ciders, so she should have a good grasp on this one. I have bought many high end ciders to keep her appeased in the past. I think we have tried about 5 different variations of the cripsin, with the honeycrisp being our least favorite. IIRC there was one with belgian hops, a sake version, and a couple others I can't recall.

Long day, but cracked this open before dinner. Well chilled. Very tiny bubbles, that as Sparky said go on for a long time. SWMBO really likes it. Says it right up there with the best ones she's had. I like it as well. Sweet, but not cloying and finishes fairly dry. I find this has a lot of apple character. If people consider apple cider to taste like a real apple then their perception is wrong. This tasted most like the flesh of a gala to me. Quite good, but can't justify the case right now.

raisedbywolves

fredrinaldi wrote:wow, took the day off and look what happened... fisty group today, lol

Hi Fred, Your bad moon went out today. ENJOY!

raisedbywolves

Wow what a 24 hours! Thank you all for your ongoing support and constructive conversation today. I hope all that ordered is pleasantly surprised with our cider and continue to expand their knowledge in craft ciders.

Cheers,
Bill & Camis Davis

Souka

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Souka

Wife and I like cider, but not bland watery stuff.

check the comments made here:
https://untappd.com/b/attila-hard-cider-scourge-of-god/571035

looks this is some real mild cider.... I'll pass.

I can go down to my local Bevmo, Total Wine n' more, and get much better 22oz bottles for about the same, and not commit to 12 bottles

rjquillin

Only two comments short of 100.

good day for comments

CT

selira

quality posts: 0 Private Messages selira
MarkDaSpark wrote:Java & Coffee were unavailable, so just my notes. First time for Hard Cider (that I recall anyway).

Also compared it to another Hard Cider. I picked Crispin's Original, since someone mentioned it.

Both were chilled, and I used Pilsner glasses (which were recommended for the bubbles).

Visual:

Attila is a lighter, very pale yellow (as seen in kyle's photo), and the Crispin's was a deeper yellow.

Each was poured slowly into the glass, yet the Attila still had small bubbles flowing up, even 10 minutes after the Crispin's stopped.

Aroma & Taste:

Attila has something on the nose, not unpleasant, not funky, just ... something. Maybe it's the Bosc pear and red apple notes a reviewer mentioned. I'm not sure I would guess it's a Apple Cider from the aroma.

Crispin's definitely has apple on the nose. Very pleasant.

Attila's taste is dry, not sweet at all. I get a little apple, but not what I would expect from a Hard Apple Cider (not having had one before).

Crispin's is a little more tart, and the finish isn't as long as Attila's. But you get the apple notes in it. Really short finish.

Sorry to say, neither one lights my fire to buy Hard Apple Ciders.

I didn't get metallic on either one, but I thinking the smell on the Attila is reminiscent of the petroleum odor you get with some wines. But it still has plenty of those tiny bubbles!!!

Of course, I like beer (Lagers, Stouts, then IPA's), tannic wines (PS ftw!), and sweet wines (Port, Madeira, Sherry, Late Harvest (not so much Ice Wines that are syrupy)). So perhaps that contributes to not being fired up on Hard Apple Cider.

Don't write ciders off altogether. Crispin's is a particularly watery cider, in my opinion (I've never finished an entire bottle of theirs - too bland). If you're ever at a place that has an interesting selection of ciders, tell them you'd like a bold flavor and they can probably recommend something to try. You may still not like them, but I wouldn't judge ciders as a category by Crispin any more than I'd judge beer by Corona. (Alright, that may not be a fair comparison, but I'd rather drink the Corona than the Crispin... ha!)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
selira wrote:Don't write ciders off altogether. Crispin's is a particularly watery cider, in my opinion (I've never finished an entire bottle of theirs - too bland). If you're ever at a place that has an interesting selection of ciders, tell them you'd like a bold flavor and they can probably recommend something to try. You may still not like them, but I wouldn't judge ciders as a category by Crispin any more than I'd judge beer by Corona. (Alright, that may not be a fair comparison, but I'd rather drink the Corona than the Crispin... ha!)

That's what I said!

But not off ciders by any means. Just need to (as you said) find one that's bolder.

I do love regular Apple Cider/Juice.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rooksie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rooksie

I have FINALLY acquired my cider. I had issues with its delivery, I blame the shipper for not being forthright and then lying to me.

I have a couple of bottles cooling and I gave one to my sister who appreciates a good cider as well.

I can't wait to try it this evening!