chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen
klezman wrote:I prefer a chef's knife for most uses, but the Shun blades seem to have a great edge and do feel nice. The Wusthof I tried a few times felt heavy and clunky, unfortunately.

Shun knives are super-sharp because they have a 16 degree cutting edge instead of the standard 20 degree angle. You can't use a regular knife sharpener with them due to the different angle but you can send the knives in for free lifetime sharpening from Shun.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
cmaldoon wrote:Never been a fan of Japanese style knives. I guess I grew up using a French chef knife and now it just feels right.

Wusthof epicure at Sur la Table is what I have my eye on...but when you're engaged housewares are off limits because those are all things to put on a registry as opposed to buying for oneself.

I haven't really used any japanese knives - but I love the Wusthof's I have. (some from a registry... some bought before!)

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
klezman wrote:I prefer a chef's knife for most uses, but the Shun blades seem to have a great edge and do feel nice. The Wusthof I tried a few times felt heavy and clunky, unfortunately.

Heavy? Yes. But the balance point is right at the hilt so it doesn't tire your hand moving the blade. Clunky I can see but that's if you hold the knife fully by the handle as opposed to by the hilt as a chef does (or in a hybrid of the two as my untrained hand does). Also, this is why I prefer the Epicure. It smooths the hard edges while keeping the weight and balance and blade curve I like.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Here's a tip for great on-the-run, in-the-park food: get the smoked turkey leg from the cart vendor in Frontier Town. Best QPR food choice in the park. Tender, smoky, juicy, a little salty and a little crunchy skin... And for about $10 the things are big enough to feed a family of 4, you can't go wrong.

I <3 turkey legs. Always best QPR wherever they're offered, and reasonably healthy, too 😸

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cheron98 wrote:I <3 turkey legs. Always best QPR wherever they're offered, and reasonably healthy, too 😸

Agreed. But I don't know about one leg feeding a family of 4. Those must be 4 very small people.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20
cheron98 wrote:I <3 turkey legs. Always best QPR wherever they're offered, and reasonably healthy, too 😸

Plus the bone can be sharpened down to a shank if you get locked in the park after dark.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

North316 wrote:Agreed. But I don't know about one leg feeding a family of 4. Those must be 4 very small people.

You do it like a contest. You hang the turkey leg from a string and let them fight for it - no hands allowed.

Customer Service: support@woot.com β€’β€’β€’ Allow 1-2 business days for response.
β€’β€’β€’ β–Ί Woot's Return Policy
β—„ β€’β€’β€’ β–Ί Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20
ThunderThighs wrote:You do it like a contest. You hang the turkey leg from a string and let them fight for it - no hands allowed.

Here in northern Mexico we call that a piñata. And it involves a bat and candy, no meat typically. Although, if I we're going to start a band meat piñata might be a good name for it.

CT

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
bahwm wrote:Spring break, right near Spring? Nice! I think ours begins the 11th of April for a week. They did cut our break by one day on Mon. April 21st due to our snow days.

When does Spring come to Buffalo?

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 232 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
InFrom wrote:When does Spring come to Buffalo?

I believe it's sometime around July 2.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
SonomaBouliste wrote:I believe it's sometime around July 2.

Peter, ever the optimist. You're off about a month :-)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cortot20 wrote:Plus the bone can be sharpened down to a shank if you get locked in the park after dark.

We really need a "Like" button here.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
North316 wrote:Agreed. But I don't know about one leg feeding a family of 4. Those must be 4 very small people.

the ones at Disney are HUGE... might not be enough for a full meal for 4, but it does make a great snack!

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
cmaldoon wrote:Heavy? Yes. But the balance point is right at the hilt so it doesn't tire your hand moving the blade. Clunky I can see but that's if you hold the knife fully by the handle as opposed to by the hilt as a chef does (or in a hybrid of the two as my untrained hand does). Also, this is why I prefer the Epicure. It smooths the hard edges while keeping the weight and balance and blade curve I like.

Interesting...maybe I should reevaluate these other options.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Jenmonkey!!

Happy Birthday to Jenmonkey!!!

β˜†¸.β€’°*β€ΛœΛœβ€*°β€’.¸β˜† β˜… β˜†¸.β€’°*β€ΛœΛœβ€*°β€’.¸β˜†
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ β˜… β˜… β˜…
β•‘β•šβ•β•‘β•β•β•‘β•β•‘β•β•‘β•šβ•β•‘ β˜†¸.β€’°*β€ΛœΛœβ€*°β€’.¸β˜†
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ β˜… β˜† BIRTHDAY !!
β•šβ•β•šβ•©β•β•šβ•©β•β•šβ•β•β•šβ• β™₯οΏ₯β˜†β˜…β˜†β˜…β˜†οΏ₯β™₯ β˜…β˜†

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cheron98

cortot20 wrote:Plus the bone can be sharpened down to a shank if you get locked in the park after dark.

????

Yes... That was on my list of things to do...

I need an appropriate smiley to express my abject confusion...

cheron98

mommadeb1 wrote:the ones at Disney are HUGE... might not be enough for a full meal for 4, but it does make a great snack!

Considering there's only 2 of us, I think we'll be OK.

Then again, I have been known to eat full turkey legs on my own...

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
cheron98 wrote:????

Yes... That was on my list of things to do...

I need an appropriate smiley to express my abject confusion...

CT

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:Tsk. You should know by now that as soon as you decide you want specific woot junk, that's when they stop selling it.

Ever.

Until you finally break down and buy it elsewhere and then a year later woot is flooded with it again.

Damn leakfrogs.

Ask and ye shall receive ... Leakfrogs are up on Home.Woot just for you!

rjquillin

Now THIS could help out with storage issues, but where exactly to put it...?

CT

InFrom

rjquillin wrote:Now THIS could help out with storage issues, but where exactly to put it...?

"The unit breaks down into individual insulated panels for easy transportation and storage."

Shouldn't there be quotes around that "easy"?

rjquillin

InFrom wrote:"The unit breaks down into individual insulated panels for easy transportation and storage."

Shouldn't there be quotes around that "easy"?

Not inexpensive, but that's a lot of bottles. Problem is I'd need to build a building to put it in. The transportation can be rented for a reasonable tariff.
[edit] Seller sent me the Product link $5400 Vino temp unit.

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Just dropped in to say hi and Congrats to Peter on my way to Clark Smith's place. He seems very happy and will be around both the winery and woot for quite a while yet.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

edthebedhead

MarkDaSpark wrote:Ask and ye shall receive ... Leakfrogs are up on Home.Woot just for you!

I was going to say the same!

edthebedhead

rjquillin wrote:Not inexpensive, but that's a lot of bottles. Problem is I'd need to build a building to put it in. The transportation can be rented for a reasonable tariff.
[edit] Seller sent me the Product link $5400 Vino temp unit.

As in, that is what is being sold? or a home made version?

rjquillin

edthebedhead wrote:As in, that is what is being sold? or a home made version?

factory made.
Gonna go see it.

CT

InFrom

rjquillin wrote:factory made.
Gonna go see it.

So?

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:Ask and ye shall receive ... Leakfrogs are up on Home.Woot just for you!

Like I said...

rjquillin

InFrom wrote:So?

looking tomorrow, with $$$ in hand.
Incentive was getting my annual locker bill.

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
rjquillin wrote:looking tomorrow, with $$$ in hand.
Incentive was getting my annual locker bill.

You'll have to get a van and invite folks to help with teh move... and provide refreshments and perhaps party favors. Moving as much wine as I have makes me want to do it as little as possible. Hoping you like it and get a well deal.