rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Need suggestions pubbies.
Tomorrow; roast beef, ham, turkey, grilled steak.
Only six or seven drink, wine.
Thoughts?

CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
rjquillin wrote:Need suggestions pubbies.
Thoughts?

Invite better guests?

You'll want a cab, a PN, maybe a dry Riesling. Maybe a Syrah? Then move on to port.

Or, I can give you the kangaroo wine we got tonight. Pink Moscato...

You know you want it

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:Invite better guests?

You'll want a cab, a PN, maybe a dry Riesling. Maybe a Syrah? Then move on to port.

Or, I can give you the kangaroo wine we got tonight. Pink Moscato...

You know you want it

better guests: +1
this is an away event, and I'm bringing, as otherwise it would be soda for all.
I may do a bubbly for starters, but any port would be wasted.
Pink moscato would actually be a good call for some.

May do a barbera instead of the syrah, otherwise good to go.

notes later, right.
I need a Woot family for good bottles.

Merry Christmas all!

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Merry Christmas to my pub family!! if you are traveling... be safe!

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

Merry Christmas to everyone! Best wishes for a special day filled with love, laughter, good food and good company.
EDIT: ...and good wine!

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:Need suggestions pubbies.
Thoughts?

That sounds like my kind of feast! Will be enjoying a similar meal, sans steak. My wine choices;
2007 Knot Wines Sinnet Sparkling Rosé
2009 Jana Winery Riesling Old Vine Mendocino
2007 Radog Pinot Noir
2009 Perrin & Fils Côtes du Rhône Reserve 1.5L
2003 Wellington Vineyards Old Vines Port Blend
EDIT: Pretty much what Bowtie suggested except I'm subbing a CdR for Syrah and skipping the Cab which would go great with your grilled steak.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Merry Christmas!

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

And Merry christmas to you, WD!

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!
No family for us this year...molarchae is working today.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Merry Christmas , Happy Holidays to all of you! Thanks for a year of patience with my questions and advice on improving my wine experiences! Hope you all are enjoying family, food and good beverages! ( wine, I hope )

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
slm9951 wrote:Merry Christmas , Happy Holidays to all of you! Thanks for a year of patience with my questions and advice on improving my wine experiences! Hope you all are enjoying family, food and good beverages! ( wine, I hope )

Hi slm9951! Welcome to the Pub! Feel free to come hang with us! Since you've found us, you must have been lurking! Merry Christmas, to you, too!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

To all of my wonderful Pub friends and family, who celebrate Christmas, Merry Christmas! I hope that you are able to spend time with family and good friends during this holiday season and that you also will be drinking some wonderful wines! Hopefully, we'll be able to drink down a bit of the cellar this week and a half with gatherings with family and friends. Don't forget: each of the two nieces will be getting a case of wine when we see them next week for our Christmas celebration!

Oh, and thank you for listening to my various rants this year and for your support. It really is a good thing to get various perspectives and ideas.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

bahwm wrote:Hi slm9951! Welcome to the Pub! Feel free to come hang with us! Since you've found us, you must have been lurking! Merry Christmas, to you, too!

I'll add to the greeting as well, come find us at a gathering.
Keep adding the SILVER TINSEL's and color that square black.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Thanks for all the texts today, especially the ones at 6:30 am. From two numbers (Detroit?, Queens? (note, not Cesare or Kttest)) I don't recognize. Suppose I need to look back thru some of the old PM's.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon

Moondragon

I know it's late, but Sparky told me to visit. That picture was what came to mind.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Anyone here have experience with that Laura Chenel Chevre?

Brettanomyces aint got The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978) (heh) on the funk level of this stuff :/

rjquillin

mother wrote:Anyone here have experience with that Laura Chenel Chevre?

Brettanomyces aint got The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978) (heh) on the funk level of this stuff :/

Sounds like an invitation to sample some later today, not before work.
Love me some funk in my chèvre, and goats' got it going from the git-go.

CT

mother

rjquillin wrote:Sounds like an invitation to sample some later today, not before work.
Love me some funk in my chèvre, and goats' got it going from the git-go.

The orange blossom honey was super goat-ey. If they're all like this I'll gladly mail them to you!

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks for all the texts today, especially the ones at 6:30 am. From two numbers (Detroit?, Queens? (note, not Cesare or Kttest)) I don't recognize. Suppose I need to look back thru some of the old PM's.

I got a Merry Christmas from that same set of texts at 3:35 this morning. The first one woke me up, too--we never got to bed until after 3 am on Christmas Eve due to Midnight Mass and some wind-down time so a 9:30 am text was still during our sleep time. I set my phone to DO NOT DISTURB after that.

MarkDaSpark

Moondragon wrote:I know it's late, but Sparky told me to visit. That picture was what came to mind.

So glad you used that one, and not the other (shudder!) one!

Welcome back!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

mother wrote:The orange blossom honey was super goat-ey. If they're all like this I'll gladly mail them to you!

Send us the truffle one

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:I got a Merry Christmas from that same set of texts at 3:35 this morning. The first one woke me up, too--we never got to bed until after 3 am on Christmas Eve due to Midnight Mass and some wind-down time so a 9:30 am text was still during our sleep time. I set my phone to DO NOT DISTURB after that.

Chenron (Cheron + Enron = jwhite's favorite name) seems to forget that not everyone gets up early either!

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:The orange blossom honey was super goat-ey. If they're all like this I'll gladly mail them to you!

Dang ... I kept that one!

bahwm

We're having dinner tomorrow with Auntie Alice & our cousins. Cousin Peter has decided to make Jambalaya, of all things! What kind of wine should we bring? We're stumped. It probably won't be too hot since I don't think Auntie can handle hot any more--she's in her 80s! Thanks for your help!

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:We're having dinner tomorrow with Auntie Alice our cousins. Cousin Peter has decided to make Jambalaya, of all things! What kind of wine should we bring? We're stumped. It probably won't be too hot since I don't think Auntie can handle hot any more--she's in her 80s! Thanks for your help!

I'll pull an Otolith ...

Gewurtz?
Vino Noceto Frivolo?
White wine?

Edit: Some recommend Zin or Syrah, but those may be better with normal Jambalaya. Still, a mild Zin (Dry Creek?) might work.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:I'll pull an Otolith ...

Gewurtz?
Vino Noceto Frivolo?
White wine?

Ha!

I was thinking Riesling?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom
otolith wrote:Ha!

I was thinking Riesling?

Why not go with a local flavor, and pick up a sixpack of Abita?

No beer? I'm thinking a Cab Franc might be nice.

klezman

bahwm wrote:We're having dinner tomorrow with Auntie Alice & our cousins. Cousin Peter has decided to make Jambalaya, of all things! What kind of wine should we bring? We're stumped. It probably won't be too hot since I don't think Auntie can handle hot any more--she's in her 80s! Thanks for your help!

If it's not going to be spicy, try a dry Riesling or heavier Pinot or lighter Cab Franc. If it's going to be spicy, then off-dry Riesling/rose/Gewurtz. You need something with enough intensity to match the flavour, but we all know how well dry wine pairs with spicy food

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mommadeb1 wrote:the 27 is my daughters

Mine, too!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

bahwm wrote:I got a Merry Christmas from that same set of texts at 3:35 this morning. The first one woke me up, too--we never got to bed until after 3 am on Christmas Eve due to Midnight Mass and some wind-down time so a 9:30 am text was still during our sleep time. I set my phone to DO NOT DISTURB after that.

and here I thought 9:30 was late enough... Sorry

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:Chenron (Cheron + Enron = jwhite's favorite name) seems to forget that not everyone gets up early either!

Really, Sparkles? Really?

rjquillin

Just opened mine up; pure yumminess, and even better with a touch of balsamic.
Yours must have been corked.

I'll even pay shipping...

CT

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks for all the texts today, especially the ones at 6:30 am. From two numbers (Detroit?, Queens? (note, not Cesare or Kttest)) I don't recognize. Suppose I need to look back thru some of the old PM's.

now I know why I stick with my flip-phone.

CT

chipgreen

bahwm wrote:We're having dinner tomorrow with Auntie Alice & our cousins. Cousin Peter has decided to make Jambalaya, of all things! What kind of wine should we bring? We're stumped. It probably won't be too hot since I don't think Auntie can handle hot any more--she's in her 80s! Thanks for your help!

How about a Roussanne? Or a Barbera if you want to go red.

Moondragon

chipgreen wrote:How about a Roussanne? Or a Barbera if you want to go red.

Mmmm, barbera. I should break out that last Scott Harvey tomorrow.

InFrom

I got all caught up with my own suggestions and opened a bottle of Toothy II with some awesome Thai takeout. The pairing worked well, though I guess I have this in the wrong thread.

bahwm

InFrom wrote:I got all caught up with my own suggestions and opened a bottle of Toothy II with some awesome Thai takeout. The pairing worked well, though I guess I have this in the wrong thread.

It's all good. I'd actually see it if it's here, it the Pub. I don't have time to check all over creation for things. Thanks for sharing and for your suggestion of the Abita. ddeuddeg is out getting some now. Re: the jambalaya: we may go with one of Scott's Zins since he recommends them with Jambalaya. Maybe we'll even take a Pedroncelli Friends.red and something else and do a taste-test! Why not? We know if we want any decent beer, that we have to bring it! Cousin Peter likes the light stuff--Coors, Labatt's, Molson, Bud. Out of the four, the Canadian ones are the best. I prefer something with some umpf!

Thanks to all who made suggestions for our wine pairing query. Now, back to wrapping more presents for weekend gatherings!

mother

rjquillin wrote:Just opened mine up; pure yumminess, and even better with a touch of balsamic.
Yours must have been corked.

In all seriousness, not funky/goatey as hell?

Perhaps I should contact them?

InFrom

bahwm wrote:It's all good. I'd actually see it if it's here, it the Pub. I don't have time to check all over creation for things. Thanks for sharing and for your suggestion of the Abita. ddeuddeg is out getting some now. Re: the jambalaya: we may go with one of Scott's Zins since he recommends them with Jambalaya. Maybe we'll even take a Pedroncelli Friends.red and something else and do a taste-test! Why not? We know if we want any decent beer, that we have to bring it! Cousin Peter likes the light stuff--Coors, Labatt's, Molson, Bud. Out of the four, the Canadian ones are the best. I prefer something with some umpf!

Thanks to all who made suggestions for our wine pairing query. Now, back to wrapping more presents for weekend gatherings!

Oh, that reminds me, I have a couple of last things to wrap! BTW, have you ever had Herman Wiemer Cab Franc? Maybe it's just my NYS pride showing, or the rosy memory of visits to the Finger Lakes, but IMO it's darned good.

ps I fixed that last tongue for you!