klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
mother wrote:BTW I took one for the team and guinea pigged Pat LaFriedas prime rib cooking method.

It is torture having to smell it so long before you can eat it, but the results are really good- great browning/crust, and the temperature is very damned even.

(I didn't do the au jus, and I used garlic/dry mustard/thyme/oregano instead of herbs de P)

I've had pretty good results with my normal method (high heat to sear, then lower heat, plus a but of rest time). Not seeing why the extra time and effort would really be worth it.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
mother wrote:BTW I took one for the team and guinea pigged Pat LaFriedas prime rib cooking method.

It is torture having to smell it so long before you can eat it, but the results are really good- great browning/crust, and the temperature is very damned even.

(I didn't do the au jus, and I used garlic/dry mustard/thyme/oregano instead of herbs de P)

I may have to do this next week.

What is your mix ratio for your rub? Equal parts of all?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
otolith wrote:I may have to do this next week.

What is your mix ratio for your rub? Equal parts of all?

I like garlic so I used 1 smaller clove per rib, I used probably a teaspoon of dry mustard, the assigned amount of fresh (coarsely) cracked pepper, and then roughly equal amounts of the thyme/oregano to get me up to the proper herb/butter ratio.

klezman wrote:I've had pretty good results with my normal method (high heat to sear, then lower heat, plus a but of rest time). Not seeing why the extra time and effort would really be worth it.

I'm an enthusiastic carnivore and Pat LaFrieda has by far the best burger blends in the universe, and a large number of the the steakhouses get their meat from him in NYC. He posted this method, it seemed like a huge PITA, so of course I had to try it.

It comes out better than my previous method (room temp roast, 450 oven, turned down to 300 after 15 minutes) and I actually like the results of seasoning with the compound butter at least as well as my previous season/sear/smear with mustard/crust with fresh horseradish routine. The compound butter is a lot frigging easier, and I think I'm going to replace a bit of the herbs with fresh horseradish next time I try it...

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
klezman wrote:I've had pretty good results with my normal method (high heat to sear, then lower heat, plus a but of rest time). Not seeing why the extra time and effort would really be worth it.

For someone who basically never cooks beef at home, I spent an inordinate amount of time recently reading all about this guy's contrarian prime-rib method. Basically, he cooks it to rare at a low temp, takes it out to let it rest while cranking the oven to its highest heat, and then shortly before serving time, briefly (like 8 mins, IIRC) returning it to the oven to get a crust. Sounded good to me!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

I sense a Prime Rib cook-off in the future ...

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mother

InFrom wrote:For someone who basically never cooks beef at home, I spent an inordinate amount of time recently reading all about this guy's contrarian prime-rib method. Basically, he cooks it to rare at a low temp, takes it out to let it rest while cranking the oven to its highest heat, and then shortly before serving time, briefly (like 8 mins, IIRC) returning it to the oven to get a crust. Sounded good to me!

I have to tell you, a little more of my deckle was proper temp than his, there is no need for the pan, and his method will take at least as long...

Regardless, either method should produce a well cooked roast beef.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

You people are making me hungry.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

When I'm bored I like to spam people on Facebook. It entertains me greatly.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

InFrom

bhodilee wrote:When I'm bored I like to spam people on Facebook. It entertains me greatly.

People you know, friends of friends, or complete strangers?

bhodilee

InFrom wrote:People you know, friends of friends, or complete strangers?

You know me well enough to know it's all of the above.

I specifically like friends of friends though. I like to imagine what goes through their head when they read what I write. I've been from Batshit to drunk homeless Satan tonight. I particularly like to pick someone really straightlaced and just get weird.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

InFrom

bhodilee wrote:You know me well enough to know it's all of the above.

It does sound most entertaining.

chemvictim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
InFrom wrote:It does sound most entertaining.

Indeed it is. My facebook experience is better because of him.

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:You know me well enough to know it's all of the above.

I specifically like friends of friends though. I like to imagine what goes through their head when they read what I write. I've been from Batshit to drunk homeless Satan tonight. I particularly like to pick someone really straightlaced and just get weird.

Just get weird?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Backpack of Crap is up on Sport Woot. And just got confirmation for my Victory order.

Servers are slow tonight. The elves must be pushing the hamsters too fast!

Edit: Every purchaser must place their hand upon their heart and repeat this solemn vow: "I just bought something online with 'crap' in the title. I will, therefore, endeavor to find joy in receiving several items that Woot couldn't manage to sell otherwise, and suppress my curmudgeonly urges."

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Backpack of Crap is up on Sport Woot. And just got confirmation for my Victory order.

Edit: Every purchaser must place their hand upon their heart and repeat this solemn vow: "I just bought something online with 'crap' in the title. I will, therefore, endeavor to find joy in receiving several items that Woot couldn't manage to sell otherwise, and suppress my curmudgeonly urges."

I was going to buy one, but I was afraid I couldn't fulfill my oath.

InFrom

MarkDaSpark wrote:Backpack of Crap is up on Sport Woot. And just got confirmation for my Victory order.

That was a real thing? I saw it today at about 6:15 on the woot checker app on my iDevice, and in my groggy state just assumed it was just a clever woot name for today's Sport deal. Little did I know it was ephemeral -- I missed out on the experience of trying for it, and being abjectly disappointed when I'm shut out. Drat!

bhodilee

InFrom wrote:That was a real thing? I saw it today at about 6:15 on the woot checker app on my iDevice, and in my groggy state just assumed it was just a clever woot name for today's Sport deal. Little did I know it was ephemeral -- I missed out on the experience of trying for it, and being abjectly disappointed when I'm shut out. Drat!

I feel that way about marriage

InFrom

bhodilee wrote:I feel that way about marriage

I see a Hallmark card in the making...

bhodilee

InFrom wrote:I see a Hallmark card in the making...

Something along the lines of [outside] Some lovely serene scene and embossed Dear Spouse (in gold, always in gold) [Inside] "I thought marriage would be the most magical adventure of my life, then I woke up next to you"

mother

bhodilee wrote:Something along the lines of [outside] Some lovely serene scene and embossed Dear Spouse (in gold, always in gold) [Inside] "I thought marriage would be the most magical adventure of my life, then I woke up next to you"

It needs to be a musical card that plays Mme Thenardie's bit from "Master of the House".

Stupid Woot message boards- cut and past http://youtu.be/aTZYSzxZcvA?t=3m50s or skip to 3:50...

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:I was going to buy one, but I was afraid I couldn't fulfill my oath.

Yes, I can see where suppressing your curmudgeonly urges would be difficult.

MarkDaSpark

InFrom wrote:That was a real thing? I saw it today at about 6:15 on the woot checker app on my iDevice, and in my groggy state just assumed it was just a clever woot name for today's Sport deal. Little did I know it was ephemeral -- I missed out on the experience of trying for it, and being abjectly disappointed when I'm shut out. Drat!

Yep. Although your checker was off by hours. It sold out by Midnight PST, so probably around 2 AM CST.

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:Something along the lines of
[outside] Some lovely serene scene and embossed "Dear Spouse," (in gold, always in gold), down a few lines and continues with "I thought marriage would be the most magical adventure of my life,"
[Inside] "But then I woke up next to you"

IFTFY.

InFrom

bhodilee wrote:Something along the lines of [outside] Some lovely serene scene and embossed Dear Spouse (in gold, always in gold) [Inside] "I thought marriage would be the most magical adventure of my life, then I woke up next to you"

Somehow I think the spouse who gives this card will forevermore wake up [outside].

InFrom

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yep. Although your checker was off by hours. It sold out by Midnight PST, so probably around 2 AM CST.

Just as well.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:IFTFY.

done, I write em, you proof red em ;)

bhodilee

Why Facebook is a bad idea for me:

Hate filled snowman

as an American i am offended by the foreigners who get offended by OUR customs YOU OFFEND ME BY BEING IN MY COUNTRY AND WANTING TO FORCE YOUR WAYS AND BELIEFS ON ME? not going to happen all you get out of me is MERRY CHRISTMAS and when you go back to where you belong take one of your fellow country men with you

Bowtie: You aren't by chance Native American are you?

InFrom

bhodilee wrote:Why Facebook is a bad idea for me:

Hate filled snowman

Perfect! Care to share any response you got from the appreciative OP?

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

Hate filled snowman

His MERRY CHRISTMAS sounds more like BAH HUMBUG. Nobody is asking us to give up our Christmas traditions, just to be cognizant and respectful of the fact that people of other religions/cultures who are still every bit as American as the rest of us may celebrate different holidays than we do.

It's the thought that counts, more than the words used to convey that thought. Although I mostly say "Happy Holidays" anymore, I occasionally let a "Merry Christmas" slip, like I just did on the phone while confirming a dental appointment. Hopefully my tone of voice was enough to project the sincerity of my words regardless of whether the girl I spoke with celebrates Christmas or not.

The way I have heard some people say "Merry Christmas" this year (and last) seems overly purposeful, like they are more concerned with emphasizing the fact that they are shoving the word "Christmas" down your throat than they are with actually wanting to wish something nice for you.

That's just sad and it certainly doesn't embody the spirit of the Holiday which they hold so dear.

Peace on Earth, good will towards man.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
chipgreen wrote:Peace on Earth, good will towards man.

Get the hell out of here, hippy. And take your yuppy music with you.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:Get the hell out of here, hippy. And take your yuppy music with you.

yuppie

chemvictim

I was told something very similar by a family member on facebook last night. Almost the exact same thing, although it took him a few posts to get all the ideas expressed.

kylemittskus

bhodilee wrote:yuppie

Thank you. Never knew that.

kylemittskus

In other news, CT mobile site is up for logged-in users. It's pretty awesome.

chemvictim

chipgreen wrote:It's the thought that counts, more than the words used to convey that thought. Although I mostly say "Happy Holidays" anymore, I occasionally let a "Merry Christmas" slip, like I just did on the phone while confirming a dental appointment. Hopefully my tone of voice was enough to project the sincerity of my words regardless of whether the girl I spoke with celebrates Christmas or not.

I met one of my future neighbors out walking a few nights ago and she said "Merry Christmas," and then she looked unsure and said "happy holidays?" and she said, "oh f it, merry f'in christmas!" I returned the greeting and we laughed.

bhodilee

chemvictim wrote:I was told something very similar by a family member on facebook last night. Almost the exact same thing, although it took him a few posts to get all the ideas expressed.

was that the batshit guy?

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:Thank you. Never knew that.

well, I am a yuppie. A hick yuppie

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
kylemittskus wrote:Get the hell out of here, hippy. And take your yuppy music with you.

Yeah, sorry... that post was better suited for Poli"ticks".

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:Peace on Earth, good will towards man.

Thinking originally this was
peace to men of good will
that makes much more sense.

chipgreen wrote:Yeah, sorry... that post was better suited for Poli"ticks".

..and yes, likely better there for the both of us.

CT

chemvictim

bhodilee wrote:was that the batshit guy?

Indeed it was. He is my meanest relative. His idea of a practical joke one year was to tell me my cat had bitten him (I was away visiting my mom and dad) and was going to be put down for fear of rabies.