cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
cheron98 wrote:Nice. We just had to narrow down our choices so as not to just purchase all of it. Decided I'm going to make my own peppermint bark, and we are passing on the PB cups cuz I'm a Reese's girl.



"Let's wait until this afternoon" he said. "Let's see if we want the next wine.woot gift item to combine purchases" he said.

And now the Maple Bacons and the Man Gift are gone.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

karenhynes


quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
cheron98 wrote:"Let's wait until this afternoon" he said. "Let's see if we want the next wine.woot gift item to combine purchases" he said.

And now the Maple Bacons and the Man Gift are gone.



Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
cheron98 wrote:"Let's wait until this afternoon" he said. "Let's see if we want the next wine.woot gift item to combine purchases" he said.

And now the Maple Bacons and the Man Gift are gone.



Aaaaand it was a waste of a wait. Sigh.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

edthebedhead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

If anyone in Colorado wants to split any wines / stuff this week - let me know!

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
ddeuddeg wrote:Just a reminder, y'all can vote for John again today. See link in my signature. I actually voted on my computer, phone, and iPad.



done

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
cheron98 wrote:"Let's wait until this afternoon" he said. "Let's see if we want the next wine.woot gift item to combine purchases" he said.

And now the Maple Bacons and the Man Gift are gone.



feel your pain..things have been crazy busy here... and I missed the Scott Harvey 1869....

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:And I got the 1st Big ol' Cornucopia of Crapmas!! Woot!


Edit: Oh, and the Balsamic is up.

Edit2: And it's the start of Gift Week.



way to go!!!

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:And I'm home sick with a nasty, scary cough and stuffy head. Heading to the doctor within the hour. Plus, the plumber is back to deal with the stupid leak near the main. Turns out that the age of the pipes probably has had a lot to do with this nonsense. To do it right, we're talking a bunch more money and the city has to come by and install their special connector tomorrow. Oh, joy, oh rapture!



feeling any better?

edthebedhead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
ddeuddeg wrote:I don't generally do this, but a very fine young man could use your vote in a prestigious awards competition. Offensive lineman don't get the same kind of name recognition that QB's, RB's and WR's get. His name is John Urschel. All he's done so far is finish his Bachelor's degree in 3 years with a 4.0 GPA, majoring in Mathematics, his Master's in 1 year with a 4.0, and is now teaching part-time at Penn State while working on his PhD and completing his final year of football eligibility, after red-shirting his freshman year. And he's a really nice guy. Not your typical college jock, but even so, he still projects to be a high round NFL draft pick. Please consider voting for him, using the link in my signature, as fan voting is 1/3 of the decision.



Voted! Still in the lead...

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
chipgreen wrote:Feastin' on Wall Street
Profits are real sweet
Other investors losin' their shirt

Money I have made
Playin' the smart trade
Those fools fight for my crumbs in the dirt

Salt it away again into my bank account
Savin' it up for a rainy day
Some people claim that those big banks are to blame
But I know it's their own damn fault

© chipgreen



Awesome.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
edthebedhead wrote:Voted! Still in the lead...


Me, too. From my computer & from my phone.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
mommadeb1 wrote:feeling any better?


Yeah. Thanks. Antibiotic and cough medicine with codeine. Only problem is that she gave me the cough medicine with the guaifenisen in it. I would rather have the cough med w/codeine and take Mucinex, as needed. This cough stuff is barely lasting only about four hours before I get crazy clogged up. Had to be at school today since we had the parent meeting for the Quebec Trip tonight. Our principal stayed for the entire meeting! I guess he wanted to see a couple of pros do the tag team routine.

Tomorrow we have our FLEX day--parent conferences from noon to 7 pm. Hope I'll feel as well tomorrow as I did today.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

SWMBO found the stash of Candy Basket. Guess you know how that worked out...
Would have liked to try the the two I can't now try.

CT

edthebedhead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
rjquillin wrote:SWMBO found the stash of Candy Basket. Guess you know how that worked out...
Would have liked to try the the two I can't now try.



Missed the Big ol' Cornucopia.. Wasn't paying attention to the time - but apparently 9 minutes is too late.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
edthebedhead wrote:Missed the Big ol' Cornucopia.. Wasn't paying attention to the time - but apparently 9 minutes is too late.



Yep ... and evidently those of us who score get a special treat!!

agingdragqueen wrote:Hello dear friends, some of you who have gotten some Crapmas crap will see in your signature this lil dude:



He was made by TT and put in there with love from me (since I have a list of all the people who got 'em sos I can cancel the dupes, I may as well use it). You're welcome to take it out or move it as you see fit, it's just a lil thing to show how awesome you are.



As I posted there, surprised that TT hasn't already thrown it in my sig ... she usually surprises me.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
edthebedhead wrote:Voted! Still in the lead...


Thanks for the EZ-link.

D-dog, are there 3 winners? Is that why we can vote for 3?

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
chipgreen wrote:Thanks for the EZ-link.

D-dog, are there 3 winners? Is that why we can vote for 3?

I think there's only one winner, but I only vote for one, so as not to dilute the vote for my favorite. An old union voting trick.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

The one thing that plumbing company can do punctually is put a charge on a credit card! It's there before 9 AM and they got my cc number around 5 PM yesterday. They are not happy with me. I told them that I was holding payment for the rest of the work (the $3400 additional) cost until next week. The plumber was dumbfounded on the phone. "It's really not done this way. You should have spoken with us." Me: "Yeah, well, I want to make sure that something doesn't go wrong with this part of the job, plus, you misrepresented your financing plan to us and its repayment options. When I'm spending this amount of $$, I have to get some sort of rewards out of it."

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

x-post from last week

North316 wrote:Dirt cheap wine glasses on sellout plus offering. Just picked up 16 Mikasa pinot glasses and 24 burgundy glasses for $20 shipped.



So these were supposed to shipped yesterday. When I got home, no note from UPS for attempted delivery and nothing at our apartment office. Check the tracking info and get this wonderful news:

12/04/2013 10:55 A.M. Damage reported. / Damage claim under investigation.
12/04/2013 10:49 A.M. The package was damaged in transit. UPS will attempt to notify the sender with the details / All merchandise is being returned. UPS will notify the sender with details of the damage.

Now sure why I had the slightest bit of hope that I would be able to receive this many glasses, unbroken.

Will be contacting woot this afternoon for sure to make sure this is handled properly. I will be very angry with a simple refund, since this was an incredible deal on some wine glasses.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
North316 wrote:x-post from last week



So these were supposed to shipped yesterday. When I got home, no note from UPS for attempted delivery and nothing at our apartment office. Check the tracking info and get this wonderful news:

12/04/2013 10:55 A.M. Damage reported. / Damage claim under investigation.
12/04/2013 10:49 A.M. The package was damaged in transit. UPS will attempt to notify the sender with the details / All merchandise is being returned. UPS will notify the sender with details of the damage.

Now sure why I had the slightest bit of hope that I would be able to receive this many glasses, unbroken.

Will be contacting woot this afternoon for sure to make sure this is handled properly. I will be very angry with a simple refund, since this was an incredible deal on some wine glasses.


Good luck with that!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:As I posted there, surprised that TT hasn't already thrown it in my sig ... she usually surprises me.


ADQ is dispensing them. She has the list and is checking it twice.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
North316 wrote:x-post from last week

Will be contacting woot this afternoon for sure to make sure this is handled properly. I will be very angry with a simple refund, since this was an incredible deal on some wine glasses.




Disappointed I get, but angry with woot? They likely didn't do the breaking and they were probably packed well (we'll never know that I guess). If they don't have the product to replace it (and often these things are direct ships or one time deals) what do you want them to do other than apologize and refund?

Now, if it was Walmart, I'd say burn em to the ground ;)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Prohibition ended 80 years ago today. Open something to celebrate. I'll be teetotaling again thanks to this stupid flu. : wah:

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:ADQ is dispensing them. She has the list and is checking it twice.



Yeah, yeah, yeah. You still have no excuse for ignoring us here. We miss you!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:Yeah, yeah, yeah. You still have no excuse for ignoring us here. We miss you!!!



I'm mad you got a Christmas baggie in your sig.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:I'm crazy, and you got a Christmas baggie in your sig.



IFTFY


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:Disappointed I get, but angry with woot? They likely didn't do the breaking and they were probably packed well (we'll never know that I guess). If they don't have the product to replace it (and often these things are direct ships or one time deals) what do you want them to do other than apologize and refund?

Now, if it was Walmart, I'd say burn em to the ground ;)



It came from a full-fillment center, and these these are widely available, so I expect a replacement and not a refund. Regardless of who is to blame..and regardless of how they are packed, I honestly expected some breakage when they ship 40 glasses to you in a single package weighing over 25lb (not really sure why it weighed so much though...) I would have much rather received the package so I could keep what wasn't broken and then request replacement/refund on any broken items.

My point with being mad at woot is that if you are going to offer wine glasses for $2 a set to lure people in to make other purchases (which I did), I expect to receive what I purchased.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yeah, yeah, yeah. You still have no excuse for ignoring us here. We miss you!!!


It's been ridiculously busy around here. Sorry.

Oh, I'm taking tomorrow off so don't look for me. And of course, we're supposed to get a wintry mix. Son & I are hoping to go to a movie.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
North316 wrote:It came from a full-fillment center, and these these are widely available, so I expect a replacement and not a refund. Regardless of who is to blame..and regardless of how they are packed, I honestly expected some breakage when they ship 40 glasses to you in a single package weighing over 25lb (not really sure why it weighed so much though...) I would have much rather received the package so I could keep what wasn't broken and then request replacement/refund on any broken items.

My point with being mad at woot is that if you are going to offer wine glasses for $2 a set to lure people in to make other purchases (which I did), I expect to receive what I purchased.



Problem is that they usually sell all of the item and don't keep any for replacement. So they don't have any extras to send out.

Also, since they were glasses, and there must have been enough damage for them to send it back, probably most, if not all, of the glasses were broken.


You have to remember that most of the stuff up on Woot (and other Woot sites other than Wine) is repaired or out of date stock. So it gets moved to Woot to get rid of it.


What gets me is some of the Bait & Switch the vendors do to Woot. I ordered 2 sets of coffee mugs (that were supposed to say "Coffee" in different languages. I received Cityscape mugs that instead had New York, London, Chicago, etc. on them. Two of which were broken.

Contacted Cust Service, and was informed I couldn't get what I ordered, but they did refund the full amount. Not what I wanted, but I have some mugs for gifts now. (Which is good I typed this, because I almost forgot I had them!)


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:It's been ridiculously busy around here. Sorry.

Oh, I'm taking tomorrow off so don't look for me. And of course, we're supposed to get a wintry mix. Son & I are hoping to go to a movie.



Thor?


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
MarkDaSpark wrote:Problem is that they usually sell all of the item and don't keep any for replacement. So they don't have any extras to send out.

Also, since they were glasses, and there must have been enough damage for them to send it back, probably most, if not all, of the glasses were broken.


You have to remember that most of the stuff up on Woot (and other Woot sites other than Wine) is repaired or out of date stock. So it gets moved to Woot to get rid of it.


What gets me is some of the Bait & Switch the vendors do to Woot. I ordered 2 sets of coffee mugs (that were supposed to say "Coffee" in different languages. I received Cityscape mugs that instead had New York, London, Chicago, etc. on them. Two of which were broken.

Contacted Cust Service, and was informed I couldn't get what I ordered, but they did refund the full amount. Not what I wanted, but I have some mugs for gifts now. (Which is good I typed this, because I almost forgot I had them!)



Well, then it appears some of their practices need to change. I ordered most of these as x-mas gifts to pair with some wine. Woot just started getting some of my money again (hadn't made more than 2 or 3 purchases total since July), and if this is handled properly, meaning I need to re-think my gifts and end up spending a heck of a lot more money, they won't be seeing anything from me for a very long time.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:As I posted there, surprised that TT hasn't already thrown it in my sig ... she usually surprises me.



I can see this being abused.

Since it's easy to get the url of the image and just throw it in your sig by yourself and all...

Hey, it's Dominic!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bahwm wrote:The one thing that plumbing company can do punctually is put a charge on a credit card! It's there before 9 AM and they got my cc number around 5 PM yesterday. They are not happy with me. I told them that I was holding payment for the rest of the work (the $3400 additional) cost until next week. The plumber was dumbfounded on the phone. "It's really not done this way. You should have spoken with us." Me: "Yeah, well, I want to make sure that something doesn't go wrong with this part of the job, plus, you misrepresented your financing plan to us and its repayment options. When I'm spending this amount of $$, I have to get some sort of rewards out of it."



Two words for you.

New. Plumber.

These guys just sound skeevier and skeevier. All contractors I've worked with, regardless of specialty, have always taken a deposit and then not get paid the balance until the work was done to my satisfaction. Always. All of them. That IS usually how it's done.

My dad, who was once upon a time a building contractor, warned me about contractors who want it all up front. He said "avoid at all costs". Because there is FAR too high a chance of them taking the money and running off with it with no work done.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

vaaccess


quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

Decided to make some Chicken Marsala tonight, my wife's favorite! Had NO idea that there was such a thing as Marsala wine...!!! Going to go get some so I can make this properly, will be interesting to see what it tastes like.

If you have any ideas for other Marsala wine uses, let me know. I'm read about three different Chicken Marsala recipes on AllRecipes and will kinda make up the recipe as I go. (It's what I normally do to get something fantastic!)

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
vaaccess wrote:Decided to make some Chicken Marsala tonight, my wife's favorite! Had NO idea that there was such a thing as Marsala wine...!!! Going to go get some so I can make this properly, will be interesting to see what it tastes like.

If you have any ideas for other Marsala wine uses, let me know. I'm read about three different Chicken Marsala recipes on AllRecipes and will kinda make up the recipe as I go. (It's what I normally do to get something fantastic!)



Make you sure you don't just buy the cheapest bottle of "cooking" Marsala you find, you will be disappointed with the results. I don't buy expensive bottles, but you can find a little bit more quality in the $10-16 bottle range. We tend to like a slighter sweeter Marsala for cooking purposes, but that is just a preference.

As for other uses, you don't need any! You can make marsala anything; chicken, pork, veal, steak, etc...! Assuming you are cooking it with mushroom, baby bella's work the best. If you really want other suggestions, it adds a nice depth of flavor to any sauce, soup or marinade.

EDIT: As for taste, I put it more in the sherry family than a true wine. Wife also likes to sip a shot of Marsala while she is cooking with it.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
vaaccess wrote:Decided to make some Chicken Marsala tonight, my wife's favorite! Had NO idea that there was such a thing as Marsala wine...!!! Going to go get some so I can make this properly, will be interesting to see what it tastes like.

If you have any ideas for other Marsala wine uses, let me know. I'm read about three different Chicken Marsala recipes on AllRecipes and will kinda make up the recipe as I go. (It's what I normally do to get something fantastic!)



Do you drink it? I honestly don't know anyone that's ever just drank any. I dont' know if it's strictly a cooking wine or what? Good dish, but I"ve never made it at home.

Edit: Well now I guess I kinda know someone. Do you know someone if you've never met them?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:Two words for you.

New. Plumber.

These guys just sound skeevier and skeevier. All contractors I've worked with, regardless of specialty, have always taken a deposit and then not get paid the balance until the work was done to my satisfaction. Always. All of them. That IS usually how it's done.

My dad, who was once upon a time a building contractor, warned me about contractors who want it all up front. He said "avoid at all costs". Because there is FAR too high a chance of them taking the money and running off with it with no work done.



+1

When my parents' house needed plumbing work done (clog, video scan showed break in line by main junction to city, and new pipes under house since they were leaking after 60 years), we paid them in thirds, with 1/3 as deposit, 1/3 when they were 2/3rds done, and the remaining 1/3 when completed.

You want to pay them for quality and swift work, not for delay after delay.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Thor?


We hoping to make RifTrax tonight if the ice holds off.

Aiming for Bad Grampa tomorrow - again, if the ice holds off.

My son is not a big Avengers fan. Traitor.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

InFrom


quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
vaaccess wrote:Decided to make some Chicken Marsala tonight, my wife's favorite! Had NO idea that there was such a thing as Marsala wine...!!! Going to go get some so I can make this properly, will be interesting to see what it tastes like.

If you have any ideas for other Marsala wine uses, let me know. I'm read about three different Chicken Marsala recipes on AllRecipes and will kinda make up the recipe as I go. (It's what I normally do to get something fantastic!)

I was thinking along the lines of dessert. I googled "marsala mascarpone" and came up with this likely-looking possibility: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Strawberry-Mascarpone-and-Marsala-Budini-107890 Also, I second the suggestion to not just get the cheapest thing. And as for "cooking wine" -- fuhgeddaboutit!

vaaccess


quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
vaaccess wrote:Decided to make some Chicken Marsala tonight, my wife's favorite! Had NO idea that there was such a thing as Marsala wine...!!! Going to go get some so I can make this properly, will be interesting to see what it tastes like.

If you have any ideas for other Marsala wine uses, let me know. I'm read about three different Chicken Marsala recipes on AllRecipes and will kinda make up the recipe as I go. (It's what I normally do to get something fantastic!)



Wow...It took THREE HOURS to get a non-sweet version! I went to two grocery stores, an ABC store, and then finally ended up at Total Wine. They had a Californian version and an Italian version, went with the Italian. It was $10, so not sure it'll be that great.

Two more quick notes...

1) The wine selection at Food Lion is pretty disappointing. It's pretty obvious why some people say they don't like wine if this is what they base that on. I also saw someone pick up a four-pack of small bottles. I literally almost teared up because I felt bad for her.

2) My experience at Martins was similar to WalMart, which was shocking. I could have taken pictures of at least four people and uploaded it to PeopleOfWalmart. SCARY!

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker