vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

Serious question time. (Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving and Hanukkah!...[EDIT] AND TOP OF THE PAGE!)

This has probably been covered before...

So, when you go out to dinner do you tip the typical 15-20% on the cost of the wine??? Thinking that's not required...But wasn't sure. Was curious how others do it???

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
vaaccess wrote:Serious question time. (Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving and Hanukkah!...[EDIT] AND TOP OF THE PAGE!)

This has probably been covered before...

So, when you go out to dinner do you tip the typical 15-20% on the cost of the wine??? Thinking that's not required...But wasn't sure. Was curious how others do it???

I forget what the general answer around is. What I would say (keep in mind I am an accountant and don't typically buy bottles of wine when I go out to eat, will generally have a glass though) is that when buying a bottle of wine, you tip, but generally not the full 15-20%. I would say 10-15%, and personally, I would tip on my estimated retail value of the wine, not the marked-up restaurant value. With that being said, all of these are variable and the tip would depend on the service, presentation of the wine, whether there is a sommelier, etc.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman
vaaccess wrote:So, second time I've seen this mentioned. Seems awfully suspicious (not questioning you), but 76K years is a LONG f-ing time, you know? Pretty amazing if this is really true. Not saying it isn't...Just shocked. Thanksgiving and Hanukkah may not even exist in 76K years...Think about what's changed in that time on Earth...My mind is clearly blown...

Yeah, it's true. It has to do with how the Gregorian and Jewish calendars move against each other. The Jewish calendar is slowly moving later in the year while (iirc) the Gregorian is moving slightly earlier, making the coincidence more improbable over time.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman

Latkes, challah, turkey, pecan pie, and sufganiyot (jelly doughnuts). Gobbletov to all!

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin

A BF woot-off, oh, vey.

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
rjquillin wrote:A BF woot-off, oh, vey.

Dirt cheap wine glasses on sellout plus offering. Just picked up 16 Mikasa pinot glasses and 24 burgundy glasses for $20 shipped.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
North316 wrote:Dirt cheap wine glasses on sellout plus offering. Just picked up 16 Mikasa pinot glasses and 24 burgundy glasses for $20 shipped.

Thanks to you I got some Christmas gifts taken care of for some people!

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
vaaccess wrote:So, second time I've seen this mentioned. Seems awfully suspicious (not questioning you), but 76K years is a LONG f-ing time, you know? Pretty amazing if this is really true. Not saying it isn't...Just shocked. Thanksgiving and Hanukkah may not even exist in 76K years...Think about what's changed in that time on Earth...My mind is clearly blown...

This is why I answer the question with 'it will only happen once.'

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Little Vineyards is back on Woot. Had to order a case of the band blend. Great wine. Easy screwtop. Blend changes with each track (vintage). Wonder if I really will give some as gifts.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

rjquillin

North316 wrote:Dirt cheap wine glasses on sellout plus offering. Just picked up 16 Mikasa pinot glasses and 24 burgundy glasses for $20 shipped.

Seldom check sellout, shoulda; gone early last night. Good on you and CAGrl for grabbing.

Anyone else take note this, so far, has been a WINE woot-off with no fillers?

CT

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
rjquillin wrote:Seldom check sellout, shoulda; gone early last night. Good on you and CAGrl for grabbing.

Anyone else take note this, so far, has been a WINE woot-off with no fillers?

Nice Woot Off so far... and Those wine woot plus deals are great too. Yikes. I might might need a 2nd job!

rjquillin

Candy Basket up on Home!

CT

edthebedhead

I updated my CT... hadn't really touched it in a year. I wanted to see how the "drink now" algorithm worked...

Cool feature. Now I know what to drink next! (Champagne, oh darn).

rjquillin

Jason-Stephens, the WO killer that's saving me $$$.
Anybody had his yet?

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Line up from Wine Tasting - CT Style.

Went into an unusual direction.

Iron Horse Fairy Tale Cuvee
2005 Iron Horse Cabernet Franc
2000 Chateau D'Armailhac
Pappy Van Winkle 23 yo
Pappy Van Winkle 20 yo
Blanton's
Jefferson Presidential Select 21 yo
Old Weller
Whistle Pig Rye
Four Roses Single Barrel Limited Edition 2013
Four Roses Single Barrel
Dogfish Head Chateau Jiahu
Hudson Manhattan Rye

Can you tell that the bourbons took over?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Hey TT,

Do you have the ability to check the status of a return? (Same return I asked you about a while ago.) It was returned on 10/15 by FedEx and still nothing. I sent an email to support, but haven't heard anything back. Order #: 46xxxxx.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

Proof that I donated a bottle of my Wellington collection! Someone is going to get a nice surprise!

[Image Link Fixed]

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:Did anyone else notice that CAGrl & Mother both have 13 parade float's???

Love that filter.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

tragedy struck here last night....I was opening my wine fridge and guess what happened? A bottle of Raccus fell out and hit the floor.... shattered into a million pieces! oh the tragedy!!!!!

One of my relatives loves getting to choose wine from my fridge... we had a 2006 Tallulah Syrah and I opened a 2009 Scott Harvey Barbara.... yummmmmmyy!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 591 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:Hey TT,

Do you have the ability to check the status of a return? (Same return I asked you about a while ago.) It was returned on 10/15 by FedEx and still nothing. I sent an email to support, but haven't heard anything back. Order #: 46xxxxx.

I have very limited magical abilities in that area but let me ask around.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 591 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mommadeb1 wrote:tragedy struck here last night....I was opening my wine fridge and guess what happened? A bottle of Raccus fell out and hit the floor.... shattered into a million pieces! oh the tragedy!!!!!

One of my relatives loves getting to choose wine from my fridge... we had a 2006 Tallulah Syrah and I opened a 2009 Scott Harvey Barbara.... yummmmmmyy!

Egads!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
ThunderThighs wrote:Egads!

at least is wasn't the Prager!!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Flu. Bad. FML so, so hard.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
kylemittskus wrote:Flu. Bad. FML so, so hard.

Get better soon.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:Flu. Bad. FML so, so hard.

Well. Get soon.

Edit: DOH! Schiest!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

edthebedhead

ThunderThighs wrote:I have very limited magical abilities in that area but let me ask around.

It only takes 1 superpower to be awesome.