vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
mother wrote:BTW Just came across this article regarding fat vs carbs...

Thanks for chiming in. One thing I can say with certainty...It is so annoying to have contradictory reports/articles/etc out there.

I do agree that processed foods are worse than non-processed foods. Along with eliminating red meat, I've also greatly reduced things made with sugar. I started reading the ingredients label of everything I bought in the store and have been astonished by how much sugar is added to EVERYTHING. I bought freeze-dried blueberries from Costco. Thinking...They're just blueberries. But, nope...The ingredients are blueberries and SUGAR! I even saw a can of diced tomatoes....with sugar. Nothing on the label but the ingredients indicated that it was added.

For breakfast every morning I am eating raw oatmeal with fresh berries and raw walnuts (or almonds). For a few days I had added about 1/2 a teaspoon of agave syrup, but have since stopped that. I have it with a coffee drink made of espresso, soy milk (vanilla flavored), and cocoa (no sugar added). For lunch today I'll have a tuna salad sandwich that is light on mayo. Dinner last night was egg pasta noodles with homemade pesto. Not sure what I'll have tonight. In general, this is what I've been eating. For snacks, I'll have popcorn or roasted, unsalted peanuts. Oh...And I drink wine quite a bit, though last night was a Gin & Tonic night.

I have found all this diet stuff quite frustrating over the years. And, if red meat doesn't have any impact on me negatively, I'd be happy to re-introduce it at some point. but I guess for now I'm going to keep this up while I'm in weight-loss mode. And, regardless, will continue the trend of eating a lot of vegetables and will continue to greatly reduce the amount of sugar we intake because I really see that as a big-time issue with the food we're served in our society at this point...

[EDIT: TOP OF THE PAGE, MA!!!]

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
vaaccess wrote:Thanks for chiming in. One thing I can say with certainty...It is so annoying to have contradictory reports/articles/etc out there.

Indeed. Just understand that watching your calories may be helping you lose weight, which may or may not help or hurt your health, but the diet itself is probably not helping your cholesterol because it removes red meats.

BTW Agave syrup is about as close to an evil food as can exist... Soy milk is also something one should probably keep a wary eye on, if you're not lactose intolerant yet hormone free milk is much healthier...

PS Watch the mercury intake on the canned tuna ;)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
mother wrote:BTW Just came across this article regarding fat vs carbs...

That is an interesting article. There are a few things I'd like to see added:

One: What year did the introduction of processed foods start increasing in the US?

I think we just end up eating so many processed foods (especially simple sugars/carbs) which are so crappy for us and add significantly to the obesity epidemic.

Two: When did automation of work/home/life in general start to increase?

Three: Is there any info on our activity levels? I suspect people aren't nearly as active as we used to be.

People I see in clinic who have lost significant amounts of weight, and have kept it off, often have done so through eating less and exercising more, and did it over long periods of time (months to years).

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
vaaccess wrote:Thanks for chiming in. One thing I can say with certainty...It is so annoying to have contradictory reports/articles/etc out there.

It is often a multifactorial issue that cannot be pinned on "one" issue.

Not all carbs are bad, and we do need some. People just eat far too many.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman
otolith wrote:People I see in clinic who have lost significant amounts of weight, and have kept it off, often have done so through eating less and exercising more.

Lost almost 30 pounds since March, at my lowest weight since high school. How? Building muscle at the gym -> increased BMR. Watching calories fairly closely. Lots of fibre, minimal sugar and processed foods - I have salad for lunch nearly every day. Fat isn't evil - fructose (either as agave nectar or high-fructose corn syrup or invert-sugar) is. The only thing evil about fat is that it's very easy to eat half your daily calories in cheese if you're not careful.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
mother wrote:PS Using debit cards in the US s extremely dangerous, so I hope that isn't peoples alternative to credit/charge cards. BTW classic AMEX cards are charge and not credit, fwiw.

I worry about it, but I do it anyway.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
mother wrote:BTW classic AMEX cards are charge and not credit, fwiw.

They may actually be changing their business model wrt charge/credit. I have a blue card and it's a credit card. Recently, we got a gold card and it's a charge card. However, I just got a letter in the mail saying that they're setting up a pay-over-time program, basically making it a charge card that you can use as a credit card for any purchase over $100. I have never paid a cent of interest and hopefully never will so I don't care, but I thought it was interesting. I NEVER use my debit card. SWMBO and I put our lives on two of our credit cards. We have the others just to have open credit.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
kylemittskus wrote:They may actually be changing their business model wrt charge/credit. I have a blue card and it's a credit card. Recently, we got a gold card and it's a charge card. However, I just got a letter in the mail saying that they're setting up a pay-over-time program, basically making it a charge card that you can use as a credit card for any purchase over $100. I have never paid a cent of interest and hopefully never will so I don't care, but I thought it was interesting. I NEVER use my debit card. SWMBO and I put our lives on two of our credit cards. We have the others just to have open credit.

OK, I'm confused: What's the difference between a credit card and a charge card?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

kylemittskus

bahwm wrote:OK, I'm confused: What's the difference between a credit card and a charge card?

AmEx's charge cards require their holders to pay off the balance every month in total. If you don't, you are hit with exorbitant interest and I think they suspend/cancel your account after X months of partial payment. Also, the higher level cards, like the gold card, have no limit. I'm not sure if their signature green card has a limit or not.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
bahwm wrote:OK, I'm confused: What's the difference between a credit card and a charge card?

Years ago Amex was a 'charge' card, and as Kyle mentions and it only took a few times to get your card revoked or suspended if the full balance wasn't paid each and every month. Don't recall if there was a limit on it or not. The voice of experience here on that one.
With the green Costco card I now have, there is a limit and there is a healthy APR. I can't find a statement if they expect full payment each month or not.

Ahh, here's a link that discusses card terms. Most are pay in full, but there are a couple blue "cash" and travel reward cards that provide revolving credit.

CT

mother

Credit cards have revolving credit and allow you to purchase more than you can afford. A charge card is just a method of payment- there is no facility to pay using credit.

Kyle- I don't think any of their charge cards have "preset spending limits" but that is far different from carte blanche. Don't try buying a Ferrari on something not a Centurion card ;)

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:Years ago Amex was a 'charge' card, and as Kyle mentions and it only took a few times to get your card revoked or suspended if the full balance wasn't paid each and every month. Don't recall if there was a limit on it or not. The voice of experience here on that one.
With the green Costco card I now have, there is a limit and there is a healthy APR. I can't find a statement if they expect full payment each month or not.

Ahh, here's a link that discusses card terms. Most are pay in full, but there are a couple blue "cash" and travel reward cards that provide revolving credit.

The Costco Amex card has a minimum payment option each month.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
vaaccess wrote:

As I mentioned, I'm currently taking cholesterol medication, but thinking I need to call the doctor and talk about getting off of it. It had taken me from a total cholesterol count of ~250 down to ~150, so it was working well, but...Now that I'm not eating red meat and am eating a ton of veggies and fruits, I'm guessing I don't need it anymore and might be causing harm if I stay on it...?

So...Today I hit a milestone that I'm excited about. I'm 6'1" and at my peak was at 225, though I started this year around 220. Anyway, I weighed myself today and hit 200.00 on the button. Guessing that in a day or two I'll break below the 200 mark for the first time in many years. I'm trying to get down to 185 or so, but will tweak that once I get closer. That's my target/college weight.

To your other point, I'm also curious what this is doing to my other health markers. Hadn't considered that I could be too low on sodium...I certainly don't get much at all at this point. I'll have to keep an eye on that!

wayyyyyy tooo goooo!!

kylemittskus

mother wrote:Kyle- I don't think any of their charge cards have "preset spending limits" but that is far different from carte blanche. Don't try buying a Ferrari on something not a Centurion card ;)

Well, there goes tomorrow's plans.

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Love it! I just got yelled at by one of my colleagues wondering if I'd lost weight lately. I was happy to say Yep! We've been juicing a bit and doing smoothies a bit. Unfortunately, when I was at the doctor's office yesterday, the scale wasn't as kind as it was at the end of last week, but she was happy with the weight loss so far. So am I. And, I'm not stopping! Plus, we're hardly doing any carbs any more. I really think that is helping, I am also drinking water at lunch instead of soda or iced tea. However, be careful: my sodium level went lower than the doc liked. She thinks it's because of my drinking bottled water. I'm more inclined to think that it's because our reducing sodium in cooking. I'm really only drinking one "new" bottle of water daily with lunch.

Isn't it amazing how different you feel, just by changing a few things in your diet?!! Don't worry too much about the scale....

mommadeb1

mother wrote:Indeed. Just understand that watching your calories may be helping you lose weight, which may or may not help or hurt your health, but the diet itself is probably not helping your cholesterol because it removes red meats.

BTW Agave syrup is about as close to an evil food as can exist... Soy milk is also something one should probably keep a wary eye on, if you're not lactose intolerant yet hormone free milk is much healthier...

PS Watch the mercury intake on the canned tuna ;)

I'm really big on Coconut Milk!!

mommadeb1

I do agree that processed foods are worse than non-processed foods. Along with eliminating red meat, I've also greatly reduced things made with sugar. I started reading the ingredients label of everything I bought in the store and have been astonished by how much sugar is added to EVERYTHING. I bought freeze-dried blueberries from Costco. Thinking...They're just blueberries. But, nope...The ingredients are blueberries and SUGAR! I even saw a can of diced tomatoes....with sugar. Nothing on the label but the ingredients indicated that it was added.

For breakfast every morning I am eating raw oatmeal with fresh berries and raw walnuts (or almonds). For a few days I had added about 1/2 a teaspoon of agave syrup, but have since stopped that. I have it with a coffee drink made of espresso, soy milk (vanilla flavored), and cocoa (no sugar added). For lunch today I'll have a tuna salad sandwich that is light on mayo. Dinner last night was egg pasta noodles with homemade pesto. Not sure what I'll have tonight. In general, this is what I've been eating. For snacks, I'll have popcorn or roasted, unsalted peanuts. Oh...And I drink wine quite a bit, though last night was a Gin & Tonic night.

I have found all this diet stuff quite frustrating over the years. And, if red meat doesn't have any impact on me negatively, I'd be happy to re-introduce it at some point. but I guess for now I'm going to keep this up while I'm in weight-loss mode. And, regardless, will continue the trend of eating a lot of vegetables and will continue to greatly reduce the amount of sugar we intake because I really see that as a big-time issue with the food we're served in our society at this point...

[EDIT: TOP OF THE PAGE, MA!!!]

I drive everyone here crazy because I read EVERY label... and "inform" them on why they don't want to eat/buy whatever... my kids are really good about reading labels also..

vaaccess

mommadeb1 wrote:I drive everyone here crazy because I read EVERY label... and "inform" them on why they don't want to eat/buy whatever... my kids are really good about reading labels also..

I was reading the labels to my daughters (9/10) at the grocery store and this lady stopped me and told my girls how lucky they were to have a dad that was helping them understand how to be healthy, etc. It was pretty cool, actually...Though at first when she started talking to us I was like, Where's the Football????

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

Mother's comment about a Ferrari reminded me of my experience this evening. Went up to the neighborhood Mexican restaurant to get some takeout and found a good parking place near the door. Parked right next to this exotic looking sports car. Sitting there in the shopping center parking lot was a bright orange McLaren MP4-12C. Still had the dealer plates on it. Just what I'd choose to pick up an enchilada platter and a margarita. Could have paid for 50 of the car parked next to it.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

mother

cortot20 wrote:The Costco Amex card has a minimum payment option each month.

So do their 20 or 30 other credit cards... We're talking about their charge cards.

PS Now hoping I don't need to eat steak with customer tonight...

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Storm Watch, SoCal style ...

Local news stations have announced we are under "Storm Watch" as a winter "Storm" marches across the lower half of Southern California.

The impact of this "Storm" could be wide spread and catastrophic as the southland is bombarded by heavy drizzle and winds expected to exceed 5 miles per hour!

A local merchant reported, "Like, The rain came down like so hard on my drive to work that the road became like totally moist! It like actually appeared darker ya know, than it usually does. I was terrified so I put on my flashers, moved to the middle lane and slowed to like 10 miles per hour ya know? You cant be too cautious"

To add insult to injury, temperatures are expected to plummet into the low 60's today. Overnight temps will approach 54 and authorities are warning people to bring pets and plants indoors.

More news as it unfolds...

We might have to stop wearing Shorts!!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus

Haha. It's about 61 F and raining at my house. I'm rather concerned. Needless to say, I'm glued to the news channels to get any updates as they come in.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MarkDaSpark wrote:Storm Watch, SoCal style ...

Local news stations have announced we are under "Storm Watch" as a winter "Storm" marches across the lower half of Southern California.

The impact of this "Storm" could be wide spread and catastrophic as the southland is bombarded by heavy drizzle and winds expected to exceed 5 miles per hour!

A local merchant reported, "Like, The rain came down like so hard on my drive to work that the road became like totally moist! It like actually appeared darker ya know, than it usually does. I was terrified so I put on my flashers, moved to the middle lane and slowed to like 10 miles per hour ya know? You cant be too cautious"

To add insult to injury, temperatures are expected to plummet into the low 60's today. Overnight temps will approach 54 and authorities are warning people to bring pets and plants indoors.

More news as it unfolds...

We might have to stop wearing Shorts!!!!

I know somewhere hot you can go

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Work is brutal today. I know we gov't workers are supposed to be difficult to deal with, but holy cow these contractors are killing me!

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Haha. It's about 61 F and raining at my house. I'm rather concerned. Needless to say, I'm glued to the news channels to get any updates as they come in.

And it's so cloudy here my PV panels are way under preforming. And the moisture, it's so intense now I'll have to clean the mud off the glass.

CT

klezman

Toothy 2 came today! Now that's fast! Reminds me of some woot days of old when occasional offers would ship immediately.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:Toothy 2 came today! Now that's fast! Reminds me of some woot days of old when occasional offers would ship immediately.

I think you'll like it.

mommadeb1

tomorrow is weigh in day.....

and it was 86 here today, with high humidity and scattered showers.....

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:I think you'll like it.

Definitely sounded like it. I'll open the first one in a few months most likely.

rjquillin

Anyone purchase from premier cru in Berkeley?
Comments?
Get a spiff for a new account?

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
klezman wrote:Toothy 2 came today! Now that's fast! Reminds me of some woot days of old when occasional offers would ship immediately.

Take a look at the bottom of the packing slip vs the back of the bottle.
Two different wineries. Kind of weird.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:Anyone purchase from premier cru in Berkeley?
Comments?
Get a spiff for a new account?

Some of the best prices around, but if it's not in stock you can wait from 1 to 5 years for delivery.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Ublink!!

Happy Birthday to Ublink!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bhodilee wrote:I know somewhere hot you can go

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:

Et tu, Brutus?

vaaccess

Onerous Massive Family Gathering...You know how I said I was going to donate two bottles of Wellington wine to the raffle for the play my daughters are in? I am...But...The bottles had better go to a good home! Hahaha That said...If they like wine at all, they will be blown away, so that's a good thing...

Play is this weekend and next. Crazy time is about to start! 11 shows...The girls are already wiped out from nightly rehearsals this week, which was preceded by two months of weekend practicing...!

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

Wines well past their optimal drinking window...
ETA:

Other researchers have been able to re-create ancient wines and beers from the dregs from long-ago tastings. Dr. Koh said the group expected to produce a reasonable facsimile of the Canaanite 1700 B.C. vintage.

Soon to be seen on Wine.Woot?

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
bhodilee wrote:I know somewhere hot you can go

Yesterday's high was about 19. Snowed just about all day, though only a few inches total.

Hope it moves quickly past you guys!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

The storm will have moved East and up the coast by Wednesday. Some models have it going south of us, and others basically hitting us square. Heavy snow on the busiest travel day of the year is not wanted. Especially with a certain woot couple planning to drive in.

Let's start rooting for the more southerly track. Out to sea.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
polarbear22 wrote:The storm will have moved East and up the coast by Wednesday. Some models have it going south of us, and others basically hitting us square. Heavy snow on the busiest travel day of the year is not wanted. Especially with a certain woot couple planning to shuffle in.

Let's start rooting for the more southerly track. Out to sea.

IFTFY (Though it sounds like it will be "shovel" more than "shuffle")