Snippy today, we are.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
rjquillin wrote:Snippy today, we are.

full moon tomorrow?

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
JOATMON wrote:I beg to differ. LHR is the worst to travel through, what with the maze of twisty little passages all different to wend through, the lack of usable runways, and way too much traffic. They should plow the whole thing under and restart from scratch.

It used to have six runways in a star of david configuration. They kept losing runways as the city encroached.

LHR has always been O&D for me, so I've never experienced that hell. CDG is an airport where they land 747s and A380s at remote stands and then take about 40 minutes to get you from the stairs to the terminal on a bus, and that terminal is a 40 minute run/jog from the terminal you need to connect through, which always seems involves reclearing security, and then to top it all off the staff there are all not only French, but Parisians.

BTW I also dislike DFW- it's too damn big. Even for Tejas.

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
cmaldoon wrote:Enjoying the start of a week of vacation. Hanging out with my best friend then my parents and then hanging with and helping my fiancé move at the end of the week. Good company, good wine, good times.

Wait. Were you guys engaged during the tour or is this something new?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:full moon tomorrow?

No. Old and Cranky, he is.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:LHR has always been O&D for me, so I've never experienced that hell. CDG is an airport where they land 747s and A380s at remote stands and then take about 40 minutes to get you from the stairs to the terminal on a bus, and that terminal is a 40 minute run/jog from the terminal you need to connect through, which always seems involves reclearing security, and then to top it all off the staff there are all not only French, but Parisians.

BTW I also dislike DFW- it's too damn big. Even for Tejas.

Okay, I give up. Where's Trollface Hiding? is O&D?

And luckily, IIRC, we flew into Amsterdam (Schiphol) and flew out of Heathrow when I went on my European Adventure after college. Didn't have any problems that I can remember at either.

Edit: Old & Decrepit?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Cesare

quality posts: 1699 Private Messages Cesare
MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, I give up. Where's Trollface Hiding? is O&D?

And luckily, IIRC, we flew into Amsterdam (Schiphol) and flew out of Heathrow when I went on my European Adventure after college. Didn't have any problems that I can remember at either.

Did you forget how to google?
Origin and Destination

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

quality posts: 1699 Private Messages Cesare
otolith wrote:We are thinking of flying somewhere one of the last weekends in October. Any suggestions on where to go that would be a good place to get away for a 4 day weekend?

New Orleans

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

Cesare wrote:Did you forget how to google?
Origin and Destination

No, but all it came up with was Oculus Dexter (right eye), Optical Doctor, Olive Drab, and On Demand.

And that was using the "&" and other variations.

MarkDaSpark

Avast me hearties! It be International Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Talk like a Pirate!

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
otolith wrote:With.

Otherwise, we'd head to Napa.

Tampa, FL has a lot to offer. Busch Gardens, beaches, parks, theaters, museums, restaurants, etc.

Highly recommend #2 on the Trip Advisor list linked above, Big Cat Rescue.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:No. Old and Cranky, he is.

I politely come to Polar Bear's defense, and I get heaped with derision. I don't need this, and I can't buy the wine anyway, so I might as well go away quietly.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, I give up. Where's Trollface Hiding? is O&D?

The opposite of connecting somewhere. [insert "The More You Know" rainbow]. Sorry I'm a travel geek and I've got a sibling who is a pilot.

AMS is a really good airport in all the ways the other's we've complained about are bad.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
otolith wrote:We are thinking of flying somewhere one of the last weekends in October. Any suggestions on where to go that would be a good place to get away for a 4 day weekend?

Montreal

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

otolith wrote:So, I misspoke? I should have used "may" ship and not "can" ship. And, for the record, grammar is not a strong suit.

Sorry. I was using "Can" in the meaning of "able to". What I meant was "are they allowed to ship? Or do they just do it?".

Better?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:I politely come to Polar Bear's defense, and I get heaped with derision. I don't need this, and I can't buy the wine anyway, so I might as well go away quietly.

Should know better - I am indefensible.

My Cellar

funbunny

quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny
MarkDaSpark wrote:Avast me hearties! It be International Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Talk like a Pirate!

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:Montreal

If one can easily get to Montréal, I would extend that to Québec City--probably even instead. It's the closest you'll find to Europe nearby. However, it's expensive to fly there from where we are-- well over $500 and can take around 7-8 hours due to layovers, etc. better to drive to Québec in 10! Maybe for doc O to fly through Toronto, it could work.

I do like Montréal, but is is a very large metropolitan city- also beautiful.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:I politely come to Polar Bear's defense, and I get heaped with derision. I don't need this, and I can't buy the wine anyway, so I might as well go away quietly.

Quietly? Since when have you gone away quietly?

And that wasn't about you. That was a dig at Rj. But if the shoe fits ....

Edit: Arrr!

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom

Just in time for gift season: for those who aren't already Houdini'd-out, I see there's a nice-looking set in a Plus sale in Sellout. This one comes with 4 stoppers, in addition to the foil cutter and extra spiral. I guess those stoppers are expensive -- IIRC, at $20, this is about double the price from the last time I got some Houdini gift sets on Woot.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Quietly? Since when have you gone away quietly?

And that wasn't about you. That was a dig at Rj. But if the shoe fits ....

Edit: Arrr!

..and my comment was only in response to those that came before. But I'm late with coffee today, and therefore not responsible for irrational comments herein posted.

Anyone know what Tuesday was?

Wait, I do have a cup, somewhere, just misplaced it!

So begins Sukkot, and a full moon, but why does my calendar also claim autumn begins, when the autumnal equinox isn't until the 22nd? Is it different in Korea? So much for calendar from Zion Market.
Do pirates even care...

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
bahwm wrote:Wait. Were you guys engaged during the tour or is this something new?

New... If you consider the end of May to be new. Still a year til the wedding though.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bahwm

cmaldoon wrote:New... If you consider the end of May to be new. Still a year til the wedding though.

Awesome! I DO consider May new. Congratulations! I thought I remembered a conversation that we had during the tour that you two were not married or engaged then.
(I'm sorry that I missed your announcement in May--or didn't you mention it? )

bahwm

One of the students mentioned an option for an interactive white board instead of the Promethean or Smart boards that are in many of our classrooms. Any thoughts about this? It seems quite affordable.

mother

bahwm wrote:One of the students mentioned an option for an interactive white board instead of the Promethean or Smart boards that are in many of our classrooms. Any thoughts about this? It seems quite affordable.

EDIT: Whaaaa. I didn't realize a) that promethian and SMART boards are the kind of interactive whiteboards I used and disliked, not did I notice the link. Sorry I'll be quiet now!

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom
bahwm wrote:One of the students mentioned an option for an interactive white board instead of the Promethean or Smart boards that are in many of our classrooms. Any thoughts about this? It seems quite affordable.

And no problem fitting it on your cart! Would you be projecting onto existing whiteboards in the classrooms, or would you also need to tote a screen around with you?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Looks interesting. You probably have to be careful how you stand so you don't block the sensor though.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
polarbear22 wrote:Sorry. I was using "Can" in the meaning of "able to". What I meant was "are they allowed to ship? Or do they just do it?".

Better?

I understood what you meant.

I was going back to mother pointing something out in your response to me that I thought was due to me using "can" and "may" incorrectly, so I was asking for understanding, hoping ddeuddeg would be able to help me out.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
polarbear22 wrote:Montreal

+1
Schwartz's

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

otolith

MN peeps, check out the gatherings tab. Sorry for the short notice, but I had to do some changing around.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Avast me hearties! It be International Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Talk like a Pirate!

arrgghhh... me scared the young lads and lassies today with me pirate talk!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
mommadeb1 wrote:arrgghhh... me scared the young lads and lassies today with me pirate talk!

You're kind of scaring me right now.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mommadeb1

chipgreen wrote:Tampa, FL has a lot to offer. Busch Gardens, beaches, parks, theaters, museums, restaurants, etc.

too funny.. I live about an hour away and have yet to go to the Big Cat rescue..

klezman

quality posts: 131 Private Messages klezman
UBlink wrote:+1
Schwartz's

Drool

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mommadeb1

kylemittskus wrote:You're kind of scaring me right now.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
chipgreen wrote:Tampa, FL has a lot to offer. Busch Gardens, beaches, parks, theaters, museums, restaurants, etc.

If one of your kids is into military "stuff" there is the Armed Forces Military Museum in nearby Largo. Pretty impressive once you find it/get inside. In a giant warehouse in an industrial complex.

Also within driving distance is Casperson's Beach (Venice). Known as the shark tooth capital of the world. Found at least 20 teeth every time we went. Have one of the big Utz Pretzel jars filled with hundreds of them.

Late October weather is great for a trip to FL and the tourists are not swarming.

otolith

Thanks for all the info and input on where to go for a quick trip away. Not quite sure where we'll go. Flights on Delta anywhere don't seem to be very cheap...

--John Muir

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
mommadeb1 wrote:too funny.. I live about an hour away and have yet to go to the Big Cat rescue..

We were vacationing in Orlando with the whole family and I made my g/f drive to Tampa with me just to visit Big Cat Rescue. Nobody else wanted to go but they all regretted it after we returned and told them about our experience.

MarkDaSpark

You'd have to have a good projector as well, one that's bright enough to project on a wall or existing whiteboard.

If you look down, that's what they have, a laptop, the projector, the unit, and the wand with sensor.

But it seems it would work for a traveling teacher.

Edit: To be honest, you could probably just use an remote mouse, which is around $46.

Although, I think I like this one better. It has silent alerts you can set for time management and a countdown clock.

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:You'd have to have a good projector as well, one that's bright enough to project on a wall or existing whiteboard.

If you look down, that's what they have, a laptop, the projector, the unit, and the wand with sensor.

But it seems it would work for a traveling teacher.

Edit: To be honest, you could probably just use an remote mouse, which is around $46.

Although, I think I like this one better. It has silent alerts you can set for time management and a countdown clock.

Thanks for the research, but the interactive board does more than just change the screen on a PowerPoint, which is what the remote mouse does. I have one of those already, in fact, I think the first one that you found, but I don't remember paying so much for it years ago--even the prime rate seems high. More later on some of the cool things an interactive board can do.

Our new principal thinks this might be worth looking into further.