cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Em just turned a year old and she has 2 teeth. At least 3 more are now coming in all at once. The exact opposite of fun. She just woke up from her nap screaming at the top of her lungs.

Mason has all of his incisors in and has started on the canines. I dread the molars though. 8 teeth in and 12 to go. He is pretty grumpy for a day or two when ones coming in but because they have been spaced out its not been a big deal.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
InFrom wrote:One more thing -- happy new year, y'all!

Thanks!
And Shana Tova to all who care! We will be trying out a new shul in the LA area. Should be interesting after years of being the shofar blower in the Bay Area.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

I guess when we were discussing the Truffle Butters at the Wootception, we should have included WD in the discussion! We might have not had the sausage fest with the Butters!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Thanks!
And Shana Tova to all who care! We will be trying out a new shul in the LA area. Should be interesting after years of being the shofar blower in the Bay Area.

Isn't the shofar going to miss you?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
klezman wrote:Thanks!

Can you translate for the goyim in the Pub? Our knowledge of Judaism only goes shofar.

EDIT: And Happy New Year.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

So, on my semi-official honeymoon this week, and just logged on.

Saw Fat Gus - had to use eye drops to clear the burning feeling.

Then saw about the Bandolier of Carrots Used more eye drops. Then saw it hadn't changed in two days. Sad.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
ThunderThighs wrote:I told him I'd take him to Dairy Queen afterwards. He laughed and said he could just drive himself and not clean. He's 22.

I would have thought at age 22 that he'd be over the "not being seen in public with his parents."

I still cherise that my kids like me and aren't afraid to be seen with me.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
otolith wrote:I would have thought at age 22 that he'd be over the "not being seen in public with his parents."

I'm sure it had much more to do with, I can do this myself and not have to spend hours cleaning more than being seen with parents.

For the record, I'd have made the no cleaning decision also. (said the guy that spent two hours lugging firewood and fixing a water heater at his parents two days ago)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

Have I mentioned yet how much I love that Woot ships 3 sets of the same thing in 3 separate boxes?

At least WW doesn't do that yet! (knocks on wood!)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

7.5 hours until kickoff.

In on honor of opening weekend, Sunday I am pulling out the deep fryer and frying up some chicken wings, and all sorts of other awful-for-me treats. Anyone have a wing-sauce recipe that they can't live without, or any other frying recommendations?

I usually just keep the wings simple and use Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing sauce. Very good, classic Buffalo wing sauce, cheap, easy and readily accessible. I think my wife wants some fried fish, and I will probably do some jalapeno poppers and maybe some fries. Did I mention I love football season?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
polarbear22 wrote:Can you translate for the goyim in the Pub? Our knowledge of Judaism only goes shofar.

They're trying a new Jew-church in LA. It will be wierd because back in Northern California he was the person who played the oldey-timey Jew-bugle.

And "Shana Tovah" is short for "L'Shana Tovah Tikatevu" which means, roughly, "May you be inscribed [in the book of life] for a good year".

Shana Tovah y'all

bhodilee

North316 wrote:7.5 hours until kickoff.

In on honor of opening weekend, Sunday I am pulling out the deep fryer and frying up some chicken wings, and all sorts of other awful-for-me treats. Anyone have a wing-sauce recipe that they can't live without, or any other frying recommendations?

I usually just keep the wings simple and use Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing sauce. Very good, classic Buffalo wing sauce, cheap, easy and readily accessible. I think my wife wants some fried fish, and I will probably do some jalapeno poppers and maybe some fries. Did I mention I love football season?

I'm going to pass along a tip, and you're going to look at me like I'm an badger badger badger (and you'd be right), but this works GREAT. Don't fry the wings. Steam the peanut butter jelly timeers for like 10 minutes then let them cool down and bake them for 45 minutes. They come super crispy, plus you can lie to yourself that since you didn't fry it, it's healthy.

video

recipe

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

North316

bhodilee wrote:I'm going to pass along a tip, and you're going to look at me like I'm an badger badger badger (and you'd be right), but this works GREAT. Don't fry the wings. Steam the peanut butter jelly timeers for like 10 minutes then let them cool down and bake them for 45 minutes. They come super crispy, plus you can lie to yourself that since you didn't fry it, it's healthy.

video

recipe

If I was going to take the non-frying route, I would just grill them. I've basically mastered getting a fry-like crispiness on the grill, but the point here is that I want deep-fried stuff all day sunday, in honor of football, period.

My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
North316 wrote:7.5 hours until kickoff.

Best months of the year start tonight. It's just SWMBO and me tonight (tried to get my friends over but they're busy). Brats on the grill and cooked in beer and onions for dinner. And probably a big ass wine to celebrate kick off. Plus my Chargers are playing on MNF...

... so they can lose with everyone watching.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee

North316 wrote:If I was going to take the non-frying route, I would just grill them. I've basically mastered getting a fry-like crispiness on the grill, but the point here is that I want deep-fried stuff all day sunday, in honor of football, period.

So it's a full on assault of your arteries then. Duly noted, though keep in mind for when weather turns cold (plus you don't get the nasty smelling fryer smoke or clean up)

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:Best months of the year start tonight. It's just SWMBO and me tonight (tried to get my friends over but they're busy). Brats on the grill and cooked in beer and onions for dinner. And probably a big ass wine to celebrate kick off. Plus my Chargers are playing on MNF...

... so they can lose with everyone watching.

you don't have Norv, you might actually employ an offense that works to your strengths instead of your weaknesses. hold out hope!

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
bhodilee wrote:you don't have Norv, you might actually employ an offense that works to your strengths instead of your weaknesses. hold out hope!

Not if the real thing bears any semblance to practice. Even the Aztecs made vacuum on their opener.

CT

North316

rjquillin wrote: Even the Aztecs made vacuum on their opener.

I had to check that for Woot filters....nope, none.

My CT

North316

bhodilee wrote:So it's a full on assault of your arteries then. Duly noted, though keep in mind for when weather turns cold (plus you don't get the nasty smelling fryer smoke or clean up)

I'll certainly keep it in mind, but I grill almost as much in the winter as I do in the summer.

I agree on fryer smell and cleanup. PITA!

My CT

bhodilee

North316 wrote:I'll certainly keep it in mind, but I grill almost as much in the winter as I do in the summer.

I agree on fryer smell and cleanup. PITA!

I hate buying the oil, seems like such a waste. Not that it's expensive, but still.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
bhodilee wrote:I hate buying the oil, seems like such a waste. Not that it's expensive, but still.

and disposing of it

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
bhodilee wrote:I'm going to pass along a tip, and you're going to look at me like I'm an badger badger badger (and you'd be right), but this works GREAT. Don't fry the wings. Steam the peanut butter jelly timeers for like 10 minutes then let them cool down and bake them for 45 minutes. They come super crispy, plus you can lie to yourself that since you didn't fry it, it's healthy.

video

recipe

I've done this several times. Kind of a pain, but works.

bhodilee

chemvictim wrote:and disposing of it

I let it cool and then dump it back in the container, cap, trash, gone. Also works for starting fires if you have a wood burning stove

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ddeuddeg wrote:Seriously. And I could do it from home.

but they make me work in the office now!

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

video

recipe

I'm trying that this weekend. I wonder how different the fat content is vs frying.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

North316

otolith wrote:I'm trying that this weekend. I wonder how different the fat content is vs frying.

Probably slightly better, but if you fry at the right temperatures, the foods generally don't absorb much, if any of the oil, especially if you aren't using any breading or anything.

My CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

video

recipe

Holy crap, after basically fully cooking them (steaming for 10 minutes) you bake then for 40-50 minutes at 425F? How are they not super overcooked?

(I'm obviously going to have to try this!)

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
ThunderThighs wrote:but they make me work in the office now!

ewww...poor you!

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Exhaustion has set in already. We had a meeting with our district superintendent and all of the big wigs yesterday. Today a two hour meeting in building.

My roommate is going to drive me crazy! Apparently, during the summer, the keyboard from my (the district issued) desktop computer had been dropped and the leg on it broke. I decided to give her the "old" computer. She noticed the damage immediately when I passed that computer on to her. I figure that I should be given access to a laptop to use as I travel around the world on a daily basis. All travelers are also to be given a desktop in their homebase. The "new" desktop version arrived today but needed to be reconfigured. At some point, while I was out of the room, she actually had the audacity to switch keyboards on me! Our techie guy came by to continue setup and wondered why I had a pack of 4 X 6 cards under the keyboard. I told him what happened. He will be getting me a new keyboard.

First day of classes is tomorrow. It is 10:26 PM and I still have to set up seating charts and make up name tags! Urg!

Hope your day went well!!! You are going to have to label everything of yours so "she" doesn't "borrow" anything of yours!!! I can't believe her switching keyboards like that!!!what time does your school start?

klezman

polarbear22 wrote:Can you translate for the goyim in the Pub? Our knowledge of Judaism only goes shofar.

shul = synagogue
shofar = ram's horn made into a trumpet-like horn

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bhodilee

mother wrote:Holy crap, after basically fully cooking them (steaming for 10 minutes) you bake then for 40-50 minutes at 425F? How are they not super overcooked?

That was my exact thought first time I did it, but they're not. They're tender and delicious, possibly due to the sauce. I used a baking rack and didn't flip. Seemed to work.

klezman

mother wrote:Holy crap, after basically fully cooking them (steaming for 10 minutes) you bake then for 40-50 minutes at 425F? How are they not super overcooked?

I get pretty crispy wings by roasting them in a 475F oven for 20-25 min per side. Not overcooked at all, but that time and temp let the fat render out of the skin nicely.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
klezman wrote:shofar = ram's horn made into a trumpet-like horn

That is not easy to blow, by the way.

(Who's taking this pitch?)

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mommadeb1

Oh! Memes Galore!....sooo tired. I was outside doing P.E. all day... 90+ with super high humidity.. plus I did the same exercises I had the kids do....all 7 classes!! at least I got a good workout today... hopefully my back won't go out, as this was my first workout sine it has healed...

bhodilee

klezman wrote:I get pretty crispy wings by roasting them in a 475F oven for 20-25 min per side. Not overcooked at all, but that time and temp let the fat render out of the skin nicely.

That's what the steaming does, so it doesn't smoke

bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm
otolith wrote:I would have thought at age 22 that he'd be over the "not being seen in public with his parents."

But your kids are also a lot younger!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

mother wrote:They're trying a new Jew-church in LA. It will be wierd because back in Northern California he was the person who played the oldey-timey Jew-bugle.

And "Shana Tovah" is short for "L'Shana Tovah Tikatevu" which means, roughly, "May you be inscribed [in the book of life] for a good year".

Shana Tovah y'all

Love the translation! Shana Tovah y'all

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

video

recipe

So glad you're back!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
klezman wrote:shul = synagogue
shofar = ram's horn made into a trumpet-like horn

I thought everyone knew that much.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:Hope your day went well!!! You are going to have to label everything of yours so "she" doesn't "borrow" anything of yours!!! I can't believe her switching keyboards like that!!!what time does your school start?

I'm not sure even labeling will help--all of my things that ended up in the hall/trash last week were labeled with my name! We have a new time schedule: we have to be in school by 7:40. Students may arrive into homeroom at 7:45 and Period 1 starts at 8:00. Classes go until 2:12 and we have to stay until 2:55--although I usually leave between 3:30 and 4. My schedule is very interesting this year: I am free periods 1 & 9 and I have lunch during period 5--starting at 10:45--brunch anybody? I am on deck all the rest of the time! 3 in a row lunch 3 in a row.

My classes went well today. It seems like I have some really nice students this year--a lot of girls. Last year, I had a lot of boys. Very strange.

I am sooooo exhausted, again! I came home and slept for one hour straight. I think I could have slept through to morning! Heading to bed, soon. Good night y'all!