otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Finally broke down and ordered the Crucible! Now, to hope there is an enclosed coupon to buy some of your cab franc direct.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

winesmith

quality posts: 49 Private Messages winesmith
trifecta wrote:No clue on whats up with the NY shipping, but one recommendation would be to call Clark directly. He may be able to work something out for you.

New Yorkers please PM me. I have David's blessing to work a direct deal with you.

azn137

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azn137
winesmith wrote:New Yorkers please PM me. I have David's blessing to work a direct deal with you.

Sweet deal! I just sent you a PM!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
mibuwolf83 wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but how do you track how many are left in the offer?

Well, Clark already admitted that there are only 48 case samplers available.

Then, if you go here you can get sales statistics. The relevant one here is sales per hour. At the time I am looking now, the only bar graph amounts are 3%, 5%, 8%, 11%, and 13%. Taking the 3% as one sale, 5% as two sales, 8% as three sales, 11% as four sales, and 13% as five sales, I get a total of 38 sales (a few more have come in since my last post).

This only works with sales below about 50 spread over an entire day of 24 hours. Beyond that, it gets crazy.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

JOATMON wrote:Well, Clark already admitted that there are only 48 case samplers available.

Then, if you go here you can get sales statistics. The relevant one here is sales per hour. At the time I am looking now, the only bar graph amounts are 3%, 5%, 8%, 11%, and 13%. Taking the 3% as one sale, 5% as two sales, 8% as three sales, 11% as four sales, and 13% as five sales, I get a total of 38 sales (a few more have come in since my last post).

This only works with sales below about 50 spread over an entire day of 24 hours. Beyond that, it gets crazy.

My current calculations show that 47 have been sold, which leaves only one left. And the Add To Cart button is pulsing.

(as of 2011-03-02)

winesmith

mibuwolf83 wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but how do you track how many are left in the offer?

This is over Friday morning, I think around 10 AM Texas time.

JOATMON

JOATMON wrote:My current calculations show that 47 have been sold, which leaves only one left. And the Add To Cart button is pulsing.

And we're done with the sampler.

(as of 2011-03-02)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
winesmith wrote:New Yorkers please PM me. I have David's blessing to work a direct deal with you.

Well done, Clark!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

winesmith

JOATMON wrote:And we're done with the sampler.

Except for New Yorkers, whom I promised to take care of. To the rest of you, heartfelt thanks. I hope you will stuff my email with comments and questions as you taste through the wines.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Clark do you have an estimate as to the cellaring potential of the Fiddlestix Pinot Noir?

winesmith

bsevern wrote:Clark do you have an estimate as to the cellaring potential of the Fiddlestix Pinot Noir?

Despite its delicate, feminine nature, I believe that this wine not only has considerable aging potential in a good cellar, but also will be one of the most rewarding choices to on which to carry out such investigations.

We understand perfectly well why a massive but refined Cabernet Sauvignon such as Crucible can be expected to age for multiple decades, for its tannins will protect it.

How then can one account for a the 2005 "Second Fiddle" Pinot Noir, a wine with little discernable tannin and a color just a few shades darker than a rosé only now just beginning to open its aromatics while steadfastly maintaining its silky, well-knit, even oily texture with no hint of dryness?

When young, I described this wine as a combination of the cherries and tannin structure of clone 115 with the perfume and spice of clone 667. In the last three years, while these characters began to swell and marry, there has slowly emerged elements of truffle and romano which I expect to gain volume and richness over the the next five to ten years.

In 2009, I was treated in Tokyo to a '52 Clos du Roi by my good friend and distributor Nakagawa-san which displayed similar attributes, and was in perfect shape. The wine was extremely light and contained no sediment, yet was perfectly preserved in his extraordinary cellar, and even repaid a couple hours of breathing.

So I will promise you ten years, and after that, we are in the unknown. I can tell you that the wine's moderate maturity and 13.8% alcohol have much to do with its potential for longevity, and it also seems that harmonious, focused wines seem to hold up best, but beyond that, the reasons behind its long arc trajectory are as mysterious to me as anyone.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
winesmith wrote:Despite its delicate, feminine nature, I believe that this wine not only has considerable aging potential in a good cellar, but also will be one of the most rewarding choices to on which to carry out such investigations.

We understand perfectly well why a massive but refined Cabernet Sauvignon such as Crucible can be expected to age for multiple decades, for its tannins will protect it.

How then can one account for a the 2005 "Second Fiddle" Pinot Noir, a wine with little discernable tannin and a color just a few shades darker than a rosé only now just beginning to open its aromatics while steadfastly maintaining its silky, well-knit, even oily texture with no hint of dryness?

When young, I described this wine as a combination of the cherries and tannin structure of clone 115 with the perfume and spice of clone 667. In the last three years, while these characters began to swell and marry, there has slowly emerged elements of truffle and romano which I expect to gain volume and richness over the the next five to ten years.

In 2009, I was treated in Tokyo to a '52 Clos du Roi by my good friend and distributor Nakagawa-san which displayed similar attributes, and was in perfect shape. The wine was extremely light and contained no sediment, yet was perfectly preserved in his extraordinary cellar, and even repaid a couple hours of breathing.

So I will promise you ten years, and after that, we are in the unknown. I can tell you that the wine's moderate maturity and 13.8% alcohol have much to do with its potential for longevity, and it also seems that harmonious, focused wines seem to hold up best, but beyond that, the reasons behind its long arc trajectory are as mysterious to me as anyone.

Thank you. With three bottles on the way, that will give me an opportunity to cellar them and sample over the next 5, 10, ?? years

We recently had a Pinot Noir tasting party in which I provided a bottle of 1994 Domaine Pierre Gelin Chambertin-Clos de Bèze. This was a spectacular 20 year old Burg, the fruit was vibrant, tons of complexity, showing no signs of fading any time soon. I have two more bottles of this and suspect it may well last and evolve another 10-20 years.

winesmith

bsevern wrote:Thank you. With three bottles on the way, that will give me an opportunity to cellar them and sample over the next 5, 10, ?? years

We recently had a Pinot Noir tasting party in which I provided a bottle of 1994 Domaine Pierre Gelin Chambertin-Clos de Bèze. This was a spectacular 20 year old Burg, the fruit was vibrant, tons of complexity, showing no signs of fading any time soon. I have two more bottles of this and suspect it may well last and evolve another 10-20 years.

Yes, it's a strange thing how these Northern Burgundies from the Cote de Beaune age so gracefully with no apparent reason. I think the minerality borne of limestone has something to do with it. It's a life goal of mine to get to a better understanding of the chemistry.

Meantime, we can only watch in wonder.

avontron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages avontron

I'd like to say 'thank you' to Mr Smith for all the great info that you always provide for the wine you offer on woot! I spend entirely too much time reading the woot forums at work whenever WineSmith is being offered!

I've been wanting to purchase some WineSmith wines for a while now(at least two past offerings here) but I have never had room to store them, and for some reason my wife insists that the living room floor is not an acceptable place to store extra wine, I don't understand her either... but finally I am able to purchase some, and I'm extremely excited to finally be able to try a WineSmith wine!

My plan is to order a copy of Postmodern Winemaking and do a little reading over a glass of WineSmith Chardonnay.

mikefaulk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikefaulk
avontron wrote:I'd like to say 'thank you' to Mr Smith for all the great info that you always provide for the wine you offer on woot! I spend entirely too much time reading the woot forums at work whenever WineSmith is being offered!

I've been wanting to purchase some WineSmith wines for a while now(at least two past offerings here) but I have never had room to store them, and for some reason my wife insists that the living room floor is not an acceptable place to store extra wine, I don't understand her either... but finally I am able to purchase some, and I'm extremely excited to finally be able to try a WineSmith wine!

My plan is to order a copy of Postmodern Winemaking and do a little reading over a glass of WineSmith Chardonnay.

Hi Avontron, Mike here (Clark's Assistant) I just wanted to let you in on a little secret... We here at WineSmith found that the shower is a great place to store excess wine. Another great stash spot is under the bed.

We are glad you finally got to make room for some of WineSmith Wines, but if you run out of room, now you have got some new hiding places :-)

winesmith

Don't know why I forgot to tell you guys about the video I made concerning the "Faux Chablis" Chardonnay. Please take a minute and give it a look.

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman

Got my Fiddlestix Pinot along with the Twisted Vine up earlier. So looking forward to trying these!

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
klezman wrote:Got my Fiddlestix Pinot along with the Twisted Vine up earlier. So looking forward to trying these!

My order, placed ten days ago, supposedly still hasn't even shipped yet. I am jealous.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
coynedj wrote:My order, placed ten days ago, supposedly still hasn't even shipped yet. I am jealous.

I think he meant he ordered them at the same time (to save on shipping), not that he actually received his package already

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman
North316 wrote:I think he meant he ordered them at the same time (to save on shipping), not that he actually received his package already

Correct! No movement, nor do I expect it until next week. That's my baseline now, actually - 1 week lead time for boxing/warehousing/etc then ships to SoCal Monday. The shorter transit time also allows for fewer weather-related delays.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

winesmith

klezman wrote:Correct! No movement, nor do I expect it until next week. That's my baseline now, actually - 1 week lead time for boxing/warehousing/etc then ships to SoCal Monday. The shorter transit time also allows for fewer weather-related delays.

Yes, it looks like shipping out the first part of next week is the wisest. I appreciate that you guys are chomping at the bit, and hope you will let me know your impressions.

On another note, wooters will probably be interested in this interview about my book and its relevance for lay readers: http://bit.ly/15lI02e.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

70s and rainy all week in Denver...good time to ship!

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
winesmith wrote:I have big news.

Basically, I screwed up. The Postmodern Sampler was to include a signed copy of my book, Postmodern Winemaking, and was priced as such. Problem is, we are unexpectedly between printings for the book, and I had to pull it from the offer because I don't have books until September.

But forgot to correct the price. Thanks to everyone who complained, quite rightly, about the price. We have now re-priced the Sampler at $199.99, and what’s more, when the book does come out, I’ll honor Amazon’s price for a signed copy to anyone who buys the sampler or any other offering in this Woot-Plus.

How’s that?

What is/was the Amazon price?

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
winesmith wrote:I have big news.

Basically, I screwed up. The Postmodern Sampler was to include a signed copy of my book, Postmodern Winemaking, and was priced as such. Problem is, we are unexpectedly between printings for the book, and I had to pull it from the offer because I don't have books until September.

But forgot to correct the price. Thanks to everyone who complained, quite rightly, about the price. We have now re-priced the Sampler at $199.99, and what’s more, when the book does come out, I’ll honor Amazon’s price for a signed copy to anyone who buys the sampler or any other offering in this Woot-Plus.

How’s that?

Looks like Amazon says it will be in print by 11/15. At just under $30. How do we contact you to get a book and pay you.

So far, I have loved the wines. I may have had both bottles of the Barbara. Had the 2003 Faux Chablis, though likely from an earlier offer. And sipping the Rose as I type.

I am really looking forward to reading your book and learning your approach to these wonderful wines.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
polarbear22 wrote:Looks like Amazon says it will be in print by 11/15. At just under $30. How do we contact you to get a book and pay you.

So far, I have loved the wines. I may have had both bottles of the Barbara. Had the 2003 Faux Chablis, though likely from an earlier offer. And sipping the Rose as I type.

I am really looking forward to reading your book and learning your approach to these wonderful wines.

Here are a couple of links I got from Clark in an email last week.
Clark's site
Amazon
signed copy

Younger daughter ended up purchasing three cases for an event she (and by default, I) was tasked to provide wine for.
The Barbera was the clear winner of the Penny Farthing series.
Seeing and talking with Clark at the Temecula event a couple weeks ago was worth way more than the price of admission.

CT

winesmith

rjquillin wrote:Here are a couple of links I got from Clark in an email last week.
Clark's site
Amazon
signed copy

Younger daughter ended up purchasing three cases for an event she (and by default, I) was tasked to provide wine for.
The Barbera was the clear winner of the Penny Farthing series.
Seeing and talking with Clark at the Temecula event a couple weeks ago was worth way more than the price of admission.

Thanks, Ron. The Temecula gig was really fun, and it was great to meet you and share a real life experience.

The book is now finally back in stock on Amazon, If you click through from my webstore, I make a couple bucks' commission. http://www.postmodernwinemaking.com/books