InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
bahwm wrote:Back to smoothies again: I think I am incapable of making a smoothie recipe that will only fit in two glasses! Each time I try I got four FULL glasses. Today I tried avocado, blueberries, banana, greek yogurt and some vanilla flavored almond milk. I think this one is a little bitter or something. Some sweetener would be helpful--I think.

Let's see. I find nonfat Greet yogurt is a little on the tangy side, and can make things sour. Plus fruit can vary in sweetness, so it's hard at tims to get consistent results. Sometimes I add a couple of chunks of a very sweet fruit, like melon or mango.

About quantity: my idea was always to have the smoothie to grab on my way out the door. I have a 16-oz., double-walled container. It's never big enough for my standard smoothie. I always end up putting a few ounces of it into a juice glass, and sipping on that as I'm getting ready to leave the house. (It's not a terrible problem to have!)

edit: if I have a batch of fruit that isn't very sweet, I've been known to squirt in a little agave nectar. I use the unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

double edit: Me! Not Sparky! Me!

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
bahwm wrote:Back to smoothies again: I think I am incapable of making a smoothie recipe that will only fit in two glasses! Each time I try I got four FULL glasses. Today I tried avocado, blueberries, banana, greek yogurt and some vanilla flavored almond milk. I think this one is a little bitter or something. Some sweetener would be helpful--I think.

Use a larger glass!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
klezman wrote:Use a larger glass!

Or, you could buy this and an extra canister. we love ours.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
InFrom wrote:Let's see. I find nonfat Greet yogurt is a little on the tangy side, and can make things sour. Plus fruit can vary in sweetness, so it's hard at tims to get consistent results. Sometimes I add a couple of chunks of a very sweet fruit, like melon or mango.

About quantity: my idea was always to have the smoothie to grab on my way out the door. I have a 16-oz., double-walled container. It's never big enough for my standard smoothie. I always end up putting a few ounces of it into a juice glass, and sipping on that as I'm getting ready to leave the house. (It's not a terrible problem to have!)

edit: if I have a batch of fruit that isn't very sweet, I've been known to squirt in a little agave nectar. I use the unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

double edit: Me! Not Sparky! Me!

All good suggestions! Thanks! Next question: How well do smoothies keep? Are they basically make and drink? Or, would it be possible to make one before bed and drink it the next day, either for breakfast or lunch? Or, would they become rather meh?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

bahwm wrote:All good suggestions! Thanks! Next question: How well do smoothies keep? Are they basically make and drink? Or, would it be possible to make one before bed and drink it the next day, either for breakfast or lunch? Or, would they become rather meh?

So, if you're gonna be serious about these, get the thing I linked. Freeze a banana, ripe one, fill the container with your veggies, berries/fruit, liquid, bout halfway or so. Put in fridge with lid. In the morning, chuck in the banana, blend, delicious.

I prefer light soy milk over almond milk for smoothies and like soft tofu sometimes also.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:All good suggestions! Thanks! Next question: How well do smoothies keep? Are they basically make and drink? Or, would it be possible to make one before bed and drink it the next day, either for breakfast or lunch? Or, would they become rather meh?

I don't like them the next day. I do like using coconut milk in my smoothies, great taste and health benefits!

InFrom

bhodilee wrote:Or, you could buy this and an extra canister. we love ours.

So that thing's still holding up, eh? It's definitely a neat approach. All those colors are cute, too. I ended up getting an immersion blender to replace my old Osterizer. I like its versatility, but having to stand there and hold the button down to work the thing is a definite minus. If I had more cabinet or counter space I'd also get one like you have.

bahwm

InFrom wrote:So that thing's still holding up, eh? It's definitely a neat approach. All those colors are cute, too. I ended up getting an immersion blender to replace my old Osterizer. I like its versatility, but having to stand there and hold the button down to work the thing is a definite minus. If I had more cabinet or counter space I'd also get one like you have.

We got one of those Breville blenders that woot had a long time ago. I really like that it has a smoothie setting and blends and then pulses, but it really is a pita to clean!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

bhodilee wrote:So, if you're gonna be serious about these, get the thing I linked. Freeze a banana, ripe one, fill the container with your veggies, berries/fruit, liquid, bout halfway or so. Put in fridge with lid. In the morning, chuck in the banana, blend, delicious.

I prefer light soy milk over almond milk for smoothies and like soft tofu sometimes also.

Oh, but I really like my coffee in the morning . . . on my way to school and then during my first period. With any luck I'll have Period 1 free this year. I had a Study Hall last year Period 1, but it looks like I'm teaching 2, 3 and 4. So, it is likely that this will be my plan period. NIce way to ease in to the day!

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
bhodilee wrote:So, if you're gonna be serious about these, get the thing I linked.

Serious would be a Vitamix. Once the the motor is powerful enough to make hot soup by friction, it transcends being a blender...

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
zTimothyBz wrote:Serious would be a Vitamix. Once the the motor is powerful enough to make hot soup by friction, it transcends being a blender...

I remember having one of those in the '60's. No idea where it disappeared to.

CT

InFrom

bahwm wrote:Oh, but I really like my coffee in the morning . . . on my way to school and then during my first period. With any luck I'll have Period 1 free this year. I had a Study Hall last year Period 1, but it looks like I'm teaching 2, 3 and 4. So, it is likely that this will be my plan period. NIce way to ease in to the day!

What, your car doesn't have two cup-holders?

I could not start the day w/o coffee. But I can't do w/o any breakfast, either, so my solution is to bring both. Not a problem when I drive to work, but most days I take the subway, and it can be a challenge to juggle both drinks plus swipe my fare card. I finally saw the light and got a drip-proof coffee mug. No mishaps since then.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to zTimBz and Cathy Corison!!

Happy Birthday to zTimBz and Cathy Corison!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bahwm wrote:The email took 25 minutes to arrive to my InBox. I proceeded to try to load the zip file only to find that it does not work on a Mac! They do not have software updates for this product that are Mac compatible! So, their plan is to send me another unit! Basically, we are talking about a Bluetooth hands-free speaker device that we are planning on using on our drive to Jersey tomorrow. Yes, we've had it since the spring and have noticed its farts but I thought a simple software update would work. Basically, when directions are spoken through our phones we get a direction coming through like: "Turn" and nothing more--even though more directions are visible on the GPS program on the phone! Urg! They are willing to replace the device, but lot of good that will do us for tomorrow! Maybe the store where we purchased it will could replace it for us? The saga continues . . .

GPS doesn't do great in Jersey anyway, what with all the "turn left"s that really mean "get in the right lane and take the next jughandle"

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Make and drunk in my experience. It gets really blah if kept longer than a few hours.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:GPS doesn't do great in Jersey anyway, what with all the "turn left"s that really mean "get in the right lane and take the next jughandle"

Thanks for the reminder. We're good with the jughandles--I think.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:GPS doesn't do great in Jersey anyway, what with all the "turn left"s that really mean "get in the right lane and take the next jughandle"

I've spent plenty of time driving buses in NJ. I'm used to that, but the reminder is helpful. Thanks.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee

zTimothyBz wrote:Serious would be a Vitamix. Once the the motor is powerful enough to make hot soup by friction, it transcends being a blender...

Happy Birthday!

and yes, Vitamix = awesome, but the one I was talking about solves the problem of making way too much and makes a darn good smoothie to boot! Plus it's 25 bucks not 350

MarkDaSpark

Ah yes, the Jersey Jughandles. Actually, they aren't that bad, but good signs help.

Also my first Toll-road (NJ Turnpike) and pre-Mapquest/pre-GPS driving fun (had Thomas Bros. map books for here). Oh, and first "I must pump your gas!" fun at a gas station on the Turnpike.

And driving on the Parkway and parking in the driveway!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

I got the Ninja blender, and really like it! I think it's kinda similar to the Vitamix, but at a price I could afford!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mommadeb1 wrote:I got the Ninja blender, and really like it! I think it's kinda similar to the Vitamix, but at a price I could afford!

We got a Ninja blender for our wedding (almost two years ago now) and it is still in the box. I mentioned all of this smoothie talk to the wife last night and also mentioned it might be a good way to put our blender to good use.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mommadeb1

North316 wrote:We got a Ninja blender for our wedding (almost two years ago now) and it is still in the box. I mentioned all of this smoothie talk to the wife last night and also mentioned it might be a good way to put our blender to good use.

I like it cause it does what the infomercial says it does.. the turning ice into snow is great!!

mommadeb1

I'm excited.... going to a Adam Ant concert tonight!! yea me... of course...my kids think it is soo pop quiz... but I don't care!! Hopefully he has aged well!!

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Google maps correctly navigated me today! Including the now famous "New Jersey left turn".

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

An early congrats tomorrow to Cheron and HAK!

What a busy week! No good vacation goes unpunished.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

klezman wrote:Google maps correctly navigated me today! Including the now famous "New Jersey left turn".

Accidentally used the Apple maps app in Custer, SD. Put me in the middle of nowhere to get us back to our resort...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
otolith wrote:An early congrats tomorrow to Cheron and HAK!

What a busy week! No good vacation goes unpunished.

Agree. Congrats and Best Wishes.

And welcome back Doc O. Looked like vacation was fun. So the payback should be worth it.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

otolith

polarbear22 wrote:Agree. Congrats and Best Wishes.

And welcome back Doc O. Looked like vacation was fun. So the payback should be worth it.

It was! The Badlands are badass! Actually, the Black Hills is such a great vacation to take with the kids.

Now, watching Life of Pi, drinking some wine, and eating some truffle popcorn.

--John Muir

mommadeb1

Congrats to Cheron and HAK!
May today be all that you want and more!!!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Thanks everyone for the early congrats. I just finished (well, about an hour ago) the final few drinks with friends as an unmarried man. Tomorrow, the drinks will be with a new-fangled ring on my finger.
Now, I supose it's time for me to get some sleep. Just needed to pop online to toss an email to my groomsmen for the final meeting times and such for tomorrow.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to SonomaBouliste, aka Peter Wellington!!

Happy Birthday to SonomaBouliste, aka Peter Wellington!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:Congrats to Cheron and HAK!
May today be all that you want and more!!!

Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam ... And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva ... So tweasure your wuv.

Have you the wing?

Man an' wife

Happy Wedding Day!!!!

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

The Girl From Germany has been making smoothies every Sunday evening that are breakfast Monday through Thursday. (After that, they start to ferment.) Perhaps talk to her about freshness the next time you grace us with your presence in So Cal?

bhodilee wrote:but the one I was talking about solves the problem

"Solves the problem" vs. geekery - stop that crazy talk!

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Thanks everyone for the early congrats. I just finished (well, about an hour ago) the final few drinks with friends as an unmarried man.

Good luck!

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

rjquillin

Congrats to HAK & CAT.
May you have a blessed day.

However,
when about to depart to a WW tasting event and B-day party, this is not supposed to happen.

CT

polarbear22

Happy Birthday to Cathy Corison and Peter Wellington.

A great week for making winemakers it appears.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

mommadeb1

@%!!#@#$ stupid me didn't go to the chiropractor last week when I felt a twinge in my back... now I can barely sit/walk!!! grrrrrrrr....

polarbear22

mommadeb1 wrote:@%!!#@#$ stupid me didn't go to the chiropractor last week when I felt a twinge in my back... now I can barely sit/walk!!! grrrrrrrr....

Isn't concert tonight? Good luck.

My Cellar

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:Congrats to HAK & CAT.
May you have a blessed day.

However,
when about to depart to a WW tasting event and B-day party, this is not supposed to happen.

What am i looking at?

CT

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:What am i looking at?

The lake that materialized under my now defunct water heater. I didn't cheat! to purchase cheap POS, but not much else in stock, on a weekend. At least this could have been Friday, but thankfully it's not Sunday.

CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
rjquillin wrote:The lake that materialized under my now defunct water heater. I didn't cheat! to purchase cheap POS, but not much else in stock, on a weekend. At least this could have been Friday, but thankfully it's not Sunday.

Just take cold showers until Monday ;)

PS I hate water heaters... But I think my next one may be one of these...