bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus

You can generally get Pallets free. Pallets for your palate!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

North316 wrote:My wife's PTO/Sick time policy seems like something that would have been thought up in California.

She earns PTO per hour worked (not really sure of the rate or what it adds up to for a year) and also earns sick time at a fairly decent rate, but here is the kicker... I believe she can use the sick time for a planned doctor visit/surgery/etc, but if she actually gets sick and needs to take a day off of work, the first day comes out of her PTO time, and any subsequent day can then come out of sick time, AND on top of that it counts as an unscheduled absence, even if you provide a doctors note. Two unscheduled absences and they get put on a probationary period.

It's pretty dumb because if you are really sick you get punished for it (have to use PTO and get an unscheduled absence) and whether you are sick or not, they are basically encouraged to take extra days at that point because it is the only way to take advantage of the actual sick days, and they might as well because they already took the hit to PTO and their record.

Largest employer in our city, you would think their policy would emplore a little more common sense.

Holy crap, that used to be my wife's work policy exactly. But pretty sure the FLSA or some State law says something along the lines of "if you provide sick days you can't penalize people for taking them." You're not required to give sick days of course, which is why a lot of places have gone the PTO route. When their new CEO came in that was the very first thing he changed. Now you can take sick days if you're sick and not get in trouble, but on the third consecutive they ask for a doctor's note, which I find reasonable.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

So I really like my S4, but I cannot for the life of me get it to connect to my computer at work. I have KIES on the computer and try the USB option and it just laughs at me. So then I try to install the driver from the Samsung Website and it fails EVERY.TIME I've rebooted in "Allow whatever goddamn drivers I please to install mode" and that does no good. Still fails. I wants me music on this damnable phone!

Win 7 Pro x64 if anyone smarter or better at Googling wants to tell me why I'm stupid

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:So I really like my S4, but I cannot for the life of me get it to connect to my computer at work. I have KIES on the computer and try the USB option and it just laughs at me. So then I try to install the driver from the Samsung Website and it fails EVERY.TIME I've rebooted in "Allow whatever goddamn drivers I please to install mode" and that does no good. Still fails. I wants me music on this damnable phone!

Win 7 Pro x64 if anyone smarter or better at Googling wants to tell me why I'm stupid

Computer doesn't have bluetooth?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Computer doesn't have bluetooth?

nah, it's a workstation from 09.

edit: though I may have a bluetooth dongle floating about. have to dig

Edit Edit: I forgot my keyboard mouse are bluetooth, I wonder if I can use that same receiver?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:nah, it's a workstation from 09.

edit: though I may have a bluetooth dongle floating about. have to dig

Edit Edit: I forgot my keyboard mouse are bluetooth, I wonder if I can use that same receiver?

Not sure if you can use the same receiver or not (not sure if that receiver is open for pairing new devices or not). Only drawback to bluetooth is if you are transferring a lot of data it could take awhile. My experience with bluetooth file transfers is that they are pretty slow, but it sounds like you have plenty of free time there anyway.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:So I really like my S4, but I cannot for the life of me get it to connect to my computer at work. I have KIES on the computer and try the USB option and it just laughs at me. So then I try to install the driver from the Samsung Website and it fails EVERY.TIME I've rebooted in "Allow whatever goddamn drivers I please to install mode" and that does no good. Still fails. I wants me music on this damnable phone!

When you connect the S4, does the computer recognize it at all? You know, the ding, and then the small icon saying it's finding the item?

Because it could be a USB driver issue, and maybe you need to run Windows Update on your system. Could be an optional Update that needs to be installed for the USB drivers.

Pretty sure that the S4 has to be recognized by your system first, before KIES can find it.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Not sure if you can use the same receiver or not (not sure if that receiver is open for pairing new devices or not). Only drawback to bluetooth is if you are transferring a lot of data it could take awhile. My experience with bluetooth file transfers is that they are pretty slow, but it sounds like you have plenty of free time there anyway.

not really, but we jsut got f'd on raises so I'm making some time today

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:When you connect the S4, does the computer recognize it at all? You know, the ding, and then the small icon saying it's finding the item?

Because it could be a USB driver issue, and maybe you need to run Windows Update on your system. Could be an optional Update that needs to be installed for the USB drivers.

Pretty sure that the S4 has to be recognized by your system first, before KIES can find it.

Other thing to consider is trying all the different USB ports...I had trouble loading the drivers for my camera. Plugged it into a different port, and it works. I don't get it...and I'm sure you have tried this as well.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

I had the same problem and at the end of the day, it was the stupid USB cable. Same OS. I had ordered some extras on Amazon and took one to work. When I plugged in my phone, it didn't recognize it. At this point, I hadn't even plugged my phone into my home computer, but figured it would show up and I could go right into as an external storage device within Win7. No go. Downloaded drivers from Samsung, still nothing. Loaded KIES (which I can't stand - WiFi sync is crap) and still the same issue. Scratched my head for a bit and then asked one of my coworkers to test his cable. Plugged it in and Windows recognized the phone and I was able to go right in through explorer, treating the phone as a Portable Media Player. The next day, brought in the cable that came with my S4 and it recognized the phone with no issues. KIES = Deleted. Cables = trashed. When I used them to try and charge the phone, it would retain the current level of battery, but not charge it. I'm guessing they didn't meet spec?

Just so you know, when it's recognized by the computer properly, you get an alert on the phone (top of screen)saying 'Connected as media device'. Hope you are having the same prob with your work computer...

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:Other thing to consider is trying all the different USB ports...I had trouble loading the drivers for my camera. Plugged it into a different port, and it works. I don't get it...and I'm sure you have tried this as well.

Doh! This could be it, as well as tdedek's different cable post:

tdedek wrote:I had the same problem and at the end of the day, it was the stupid USB cable. Same OS. I had ordered some extras on Amazon and took one to work. When I plugged in my phone, it didn't recognize it. At this point, I hadn't even plugged my phone into my home computer, but figured it would show up and I could go right into as an external storage device within Win7. No go. Downloaded drivers from Samsung, still nothing. Loaded KIES (which I can't stand - WiFi sync is crap) and still the same issue. Scratched my head for a bit and then asked one of my coworkers to test his cable. Plugged it in and Windows recognized the phone and I was able to go right in through explorer, treating the phone as a Portable Media Player. The next day, brought in the cable that came with my S4 and it recognized the phone with no issues. KIES = Deleted. Cables = trashed. When I used them to try and charge the phone, it would retain the current level of battery, but not charge it. I'm guessing they didn't meet spec?

Just so you know, when it's recognized by the computer properly, you get an alert on the phone (top of screen)saying 'Connected as media device'. Hope you are having the same prob with your work computer...

Best bet, try a different USB port(s) first, then try a different cable(s), then try Windows Update (and then retry the above!).

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:When you connect the S4, does the computer recognize it at all? You know, the ding, and then the small icon saying it's finding the item?

it don't do Hershey's Kiss! First time I plugged it in it did the whole "installing drivers" crap, but it failed. New Hardware wizard returns bupkis. Samsung drivers from webpage also useless as they won't install.

bhodilee

tdedek wrote:I had the same problem and at the end of the day, it was the stupid USB cable. Same OS. I had ordered some extras on Amazon and took one to work. When I plugged in my phone, it didn't recognize it. At this point, I hadn't even plugged my phone into my home computer, but figured it would show up and I could go right into as an external storage device within Win7. No go. Downloaded drivers from Samsung, still nothing. Loaded KIES (which I can't stand - WiFi sync is crap) and still the same issue. Scratched my head for a bit and then asked one of my coworkers to test his cable. Plugged it in and Windows recognized the phone and I was able to go right in through explorer, treating the phone as a Portable Media Player. The next day, brought in the cable that came with my S4 and it recognized the phone with no issues. KIES = Deleted. Cables = trashed. When I used them to try and charge the phone, it would retain the current level of battery, but not charge it. I'm guessing they didn't meet spec?

ya know, I've been wondering if it could be that simple. MicroA cables at work, likely MicroB that it came with. Try it tomorrow I guess. Still couldn't convince the damn drivers to install directly from Samsung though. I find it odd. Fails, but doesn't say why

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Best bet, try a different USB port(s) first, then try a different cable(s), then try Windows Update (and then retry the above!).

Oh, I've plugged it into EVERY GDFN port on this thing and ran Windows Update and nada. I'm not a Baby Ruth

I'll try the cable thing

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
bhodilee wrote:ya know, I've been wondering if it could be that simple. MicroA cables at work, likely MicroB that it came with. Try it tomorrow I guess. Still couldn't convince the damn drivers to install directly from Samsung though. I find it odd. Fails, but doesn't say why

Sounds like it's the cable to me. Same scenario on my end. I'm new to Android (why did it take me so long???) so I wasn't aware there were multiple revisions of the cable, though I should have figured there would be.

bhodilee

tdedek wrote:Sounds like it's the cable to me. Same scenario on my end. I'm new to Android (why did it take me so long???) so I wasn't aware there were multiple revisions of the cable, though I should have figured there would be.

well, i'm bluetoothed now! So there's that if nothing else.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bhodilee wrote:it don't do Hershey's Kiss! First time I plugged it in it did the whole "installing drivers" crap, but it failed. New Hardware wizard returns bupkis. Samsung drivers from webpage also useless as they won't install.
bhodilee wrote:Oh, I've plugged it into EVERY GDFN port on this thing and ran Windows Update and nada. I'm not a Baby Ruth

I'll try the cable thing

Yay! First hit on the new filters. You win.... nothing. But congrats.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bhodilee

ThunderThighs wrote:Yay! First hit on the new filters. You win.... nothing. But congrats.

I KNEW CURSING WAS AWESOME!

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:Yay! First hit on the new filters. You win.... nothing. But congrats.

Hershey's Kiss is filtered (we knew that), but Crap isn't???

And the Baby Ruth filter has been around (and I've already seen the Baby Ruth version).

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:Hershey's Kiss is filtered (we knew that), but Crap isn't???

Crap hasn't been filtered for a couple of years. You should check in here more often.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
North316 wrote:So...maybe all of this vacation talk had gotten me confused, but I seem to recall a certain someone promising a step-by-step walkthrough (and potentially a kit) for an argon set-up by the end of June. I'm the last person to speak of procrastination or being behind schedule, just wanted to let that someone know that there is still great interest for such a thing by at least one person!

On another note, Sagrada Familia IS scheduled in--day and night!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

Hi, All! Crazy day--what else is new? I FINALLY decided to make sure my memory cards for my camera were properly dumped and clean for the trip. In the process, I managed to find one that could not be read neither by my computer nor by the camera! Then, genius here, managed to put the card in upside down--so it wouldn't read and wouldn't come out of the camera! Urgh! Trip needed to the camera store--just what we wanted to do! What did the girl do, but use pliers to pull it out of the camera. It still doesn't read anyplace. At the moment, I cannot remember what was on it and I cannot check--not enough time, but I think it has been uploaded and saved SOMEPLACE! I have a few places where I have been saving pics lately, so I think I'm safe!

After a couple of quick stops at Target and Kohl's, we got home and most of our stuff has been triaged--can't sleep on our bed yet, but stuff has been triaged! Found out that rain is expected in Oviedo and temps in the low 60's--crap! Gotta pack something warmer than for temps in the 80s! Grrrrr! However, all electronics are charged, bills are paid, mail and paper stopped, plants are cared for. I think we are almost good. Flight out tomorrow afternoon. We'll check back when we can. Be sure to hold down the fort--or something like that--while we're gone! Luv you guys!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
bahwm wrote:On another note, Sagrada Familia IS scheduled in--day and night!

You'll have to tell me all about it over some Orange wine next year after the Scott Harvey dinner.

Here's hoping that you and d-dog have a great time!

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
MarkDaSpark wrote:

So join or create a WW Gathering!

This one didn't make it in time to be on the list but Clark Smith is going to be in the Cleveland, OH area this coming Saturday, July 13.

Thread posted under the Gatherings tab or you can click HERE.

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Crap hasn't been filtered for a couple of years. You should check in here more often.

It was more of a question as to WHY it hasn't been filtered for years.

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Hi, All! Crazy day--what else is new? I FINALLY decided to make sure my memory cards for my camera were properly dumped and clean for the trip. In the process, I managed to find one that could not be read neither by my computer nor by the camera! Then, genius here, managed to put the card in upside down--so it wouldn't read and wouldn't come out of the camera! Urgh! Trip needed to the camera store--just what we wanted to do! What did the girl do, but use pliers to pull it out of the camera. It still doesn't read anyplace. At the moment, I cannot remember what was on it and I cannot check--not enough time, but I think it has been uploaded and saved SOMEPLACE! I have a few places where I have been saving pics lately, so I think I'm safe!

After a couple of quick stops at Target and Kohl's, we got home and most of our stuff has been triaged--can't sleep on our bed yet, but stuff has been triaged! Found out that rain is expected in Oviedo and temps in the low 60's--crap! Gotta pack something warmer than for temps in the 80s! Grrrrr! However, all electronics are charged, bills are paid, mail and paper stopped, plants are cared for. I think we are almost good. Flight out tomorrow afternoon. We'll check back when we can. Be sure to hold down the fort--or something like that--while we're gone! Luv you guys!

Have fun stormin' da castle.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:Hi, All! Crazy day--what else is new? I FINALLY decided to make sure my memory cards for my camera were properly dumped and clean for the trip. In the process, I managed to find one that could not be read neither by my computer nor by the camera! Then, genius here, managed to put the card in upside down--so it wouldn't read and wouldn't come out of the camera! Urgh! Trip needed to the camera store--just what we wanted to do! What did the girl do, but use pliers to pull it out of the camera. It still doesn't read anyplace. At the moment, I cannot remember what was on it and I cannot check--not enough time, but I think it has been uploaded and saved SOMEPLACE! I have a few places where I have been saving pics lately, so I think I'm safe!

hope you guys have a blast!! can't wait to see pictures!!

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:hope you guys have a blast!! can't wait to see pictures!!

Thanks, guys! It should be fun! Delays are happening already, though. Flight out of JFK delayed by 1hr20--got that notification at 8:15 this morning! All is good! And, there will be pics!

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom
bahwm wrote:Thanks, guys! It should be fun! Delays are happening already, though. Flight out of JFK delayed by 1hr20--got that notification at 8:15 this morning! All is good! And, there will be pics!

¡Buen viaje!

MarkDaSpark

InFrom wrote:¡Buen viaje!

Brown noser! Or is it more appropriate to say, "Narices marrónes"?

bhodilee

Plan for my day off:

Go to the zoo or the beach, depending on what the kids want.

Reality of day off:

Daughter 103 fever

Dog has diarrhea (which is so Mentosing nasty)

figured I'd take the two year old to daycare so he wouldn't get sick/could have some fun but cried the whole way there cause Mom didn't take him. Get him out of the seat, he takes his shoes off. Okay fine, carry him in. Pick him up to carry him in and he starts hitting and scratching my face. Then he grabs my glasses and throws them across the parking lot. So I pick the glasses up and put them back on (maintaining composure), he immediately rips them off again and throws them again, pick them back up and just put them in my pocket, so since he can't tear my glasses off I WIN! except for the part where he got all vampire and chomped down on my shoulder and wouldn't stop biting down. At that point I was pretty much done, took him back home and put him directly in bed. This is officially the worst day off I've ever had. I'm gonna take it as a sick day and try again on Friday.

No two year old Friday though, he's officially on my Hershey's Kiss list. He can go to daycare (with mom this time, I learned my lesson).

bahwm

InFrom wrote:¡Buen viaje!

Gracias! Estamos en el avión en Buffalo!

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
bhodilee wrote:Plan for my day off:

Reality of day off:

Daughter 103 fever

figured I'd take the two year old to daycare so he wouldn't get sick/could have some fun but cried the whole way there cause Mom didn't take him. Get him out of the seat, he takes his shoes off. Okay fine, carry him in. Pick him up to carry him in and he starts hitting and scratching my face. Then he grabs my glasses and throws them across the parking lot. So I pick the glasses up and put them back on (maintaining composure), he immediately rips them off again and throws them again, pick them back up and just put them in my pocket, so since he can't tear my glasses off I WIN! except for the part where he got all vampire and chomped down on my shoulder and wouldn't stop biting down. At that point I was pretty much done, took him back home and put him directly in bed. This is officially the worst day off I've ever had. I'm gonna take it as a sick day and try again on Friday.

No two year old Friday though, he's officially on my Hershey's Kiss list. He can go to daycare (with mom this time, I learned my lesson).

Wow. That really sucks. It sounds like you could use a kid-free, dog-free day off.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Reality of day off:

Daughter 103 fever

holy crap!!! what a super sucky day.... hope friday is better!!

bahwm

Reality of day off:

Daughter 103 fever

Yikes! Flight delays are ok then. We've just been informed that we will be delayed for a half hour out here on the runway! At least 3 planes are out here. They've let us take bring out our electronic devices. . Should still have enough time at JFK.

MarkDaSpark

Reality of day off:

Daughter 103 fever

Beach? In Nebraska???? Where's the Hershey's?

I laugh since no one else asked!!

You need to remind the 2 year old that you brought him into this world, and you can take him out again! (Don't you just love Bill Cosby? )

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
MarkDaSpark wrote:Beach? In Nebraska???? Where's the Hershey's?

I laugh since no one else asked!!

You need to remind the 2 year old that you brought him into this world, and you can take him out again! (Don't you just love Bill Cosby? )

I would have asked about that beach comment too, if I had seen it in time. It made my head boggle too.

And I LOVE Bill Cosby stuffs!!!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
Itwdswafo wrote:I can't believe they allow you to save up that many. My company had a cap at 200 hours, and when we reached that cap, we would just receive a check for 100 hours (they cashed out half of the hours).

I actually like that idea.

edthebedhead

klezman wrote:They let you bank that much?!

Last place I worked let me accrue ~300 hours, all could roll over. I took a month off when I left (and got married).

New place - use it this year, or lose it. Oh well.

edthebedhead

polarbear22 wrote:Have to chime in. After 25 years, I get 34 days PTO. We can carryover five days. I carried in five, so must take 34. I will likely lose some this year.

Nice. Maybe you'll find cheap airfare to europe for some extra time away.