rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin
bhodilee wrote:so you get an error after 43204375290-uflkandjshe minutes, then you post again and get another error after 4587-48075280tjsanvjhuty-2834u1894 minutes, then you come back and it's posted TWICE. Nice job Niagara Falls! , nice job.

Ha, Niagara Falls! is filtered. How about amawoot?

Seems there are a few routers down in both TX and CA that could affect woot and us here in CA. Also a spike in response times yesterday, but today looks calm, but still delays, no major packet loss, just not as bad as yesterday.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
coynedj wrote:Re homework, my kids are past that age but I always thought that the homework they got was of little value. Having heard about what they did in class, it seemed that the homework was often used to make up for a lack of focus in the classroom. This wasn't always true of course, but often enough.

Also QFT!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:I can't imagine why!

You've got our country's 500th anniversary to plan, your wedding to arrange, your husband to murder and Guilder to frame for it; You're swamped!

Precisely! um, i mean...love you sweetie...

but you know how I do enjoy watching you work.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz
ddeuddeg wrote:Good luck with that. My experience with the typical administrator in education circles is that, if you have a really good idea and you want it to get accepted, first you have to waltz him around until he thinks it's his idea. And every one of them has a mind like a steel trap: once it's closed, nothing gets in.

Hey! I am a school admninistrator...haha But I think of myself as progressive and make decisoons based on data, not personal beliefs.

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

otolith wrote:Sounds good. I'm not sure how it would apply to our kids' school, however.

Also, as much as I despised it, I did need the homework to learn/master the topics.

The research is universal...Hattie also looked at educational systems in other countries...very comprehensive...so should not be school specific. Homework DOES play a role in education BUT a minor one. If a student is able to show mastery of a specific concept in math, for example, by completing 5 problems corerecty then why give students 20+ problems for HW? Five would suffice.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
losthighwayz wrote:The research is universal...Hattie also looked at educational systems in other countries...very comprehensive...so should not be school specific. Homework DOES play a role in education BUT a minor one. If a student is able to show mastery of a specific concept in math, for example, by completing 5 problems corerecty then why give students 20+ problems for HW? Five would suffice.

I'll look into his book. I think our kids' school is progressive in our kids' education. I don't think it is reliant on homework, either.

Good to know you are an admin who will actually listen to the data!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kylemittskus

losthighwayz wrote:If a student is able to show mastery of a specific concept in math, for example, by completing 5 problems corerecty then why give students 20+ problems for HW? Five would suffice.

Not to hijack the pub and make it a summit on education, but...

This extends beyond high school and I find that equally frustrating. When I taught nursing/pharm classes at the college level, I gave relatively short quizzes and tests for the math (medical terms were obviously and necessarily long). Two or three of each type of question was all I thought was required. If a student can do something three times, he/she can do it 100 times. The process is the exact same.

I got into arguments with fellow professors and my boss about why I didn't make longer tests. I made the argument(s) you made and that I am reiterating. Dumbfounded faces followed by "but they need longer quizzes."

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
kylemittskus wrote:--snip--
I got into arguments with fellow professors and my boss about why I didn't make longer tests. I made the argument(s) you made and that I am reiterating. Dumbfounded faces followed by "but they need longer quizzes."

My high school physics teacher was renowned for his one-question pop quizzes - only the final exam was scheduled, all other tests came whenever he felt like giving them. If you were up to date you could finish in 5 minutes, but the questions were designed so that you absolutely had to stay current.

That approach certainly gave us the incentive to avoid falling behind.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

kylemittskus

coynedj wrote:My high school physics teacher was renowned for his one-question pop quizzes - only the final exam was scheduled, all other tests came whenever he felt like giving them. If you were up to date you could finish in 5 minutes, but the questions were designed so that you absolutely had to stay current.

Love that idea.

rjquillin

coynedj wrote:My high school physics teacher was renowned for his one-question pop quizzes - only the final exam was scheduled, all other tests came whenever he felt like giving them. If you were up to date you could finish in 5 minutes, but the questions were designed so that you absolutely had to stay current.

Likely this resulted in a very short learning curve of what to expect as well!

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
losthighwayz wrote:A school with a proactive admin and staff should be preparing students for the next grade level...no need for homework. In fact, research shows that homework has a very low impact on student achievement. Hattie released an awesome book n over 1000 metacognitive analyses in education. I am a huge proponent of little to no homework. It means nothing. Not trying to be rude or anything.

homework SUCKS!! esp. when the teachers give projects that are due the day the kids get back from a holiday break or spring break! That is my time with my kids!!!

mommadeb1

otolith wrote:Actually, I'm not too worried about our kids' education, otherwise I would raise a stink or change schools.

well our FL. schools could use some help... I am lucky, my kids are doing great!

mommadeb1

losthighwayz wrote:The research is universal...Hattie also looked at educational systems in other countries...very comprehensive...so should not be school specific. Homework DOES play a role in education BUT a minor one. If a student is able to show mastery of a specific concept in math, for example, by completing 5 problems corerecty then why give students 20+ problems for HW? Five would suffice.

some days my kids get 30+ math problems for homework... then add in their other classes..... grrrrrr

mommadeb1

Well today was interesting... Tropical storm Andrea hit.....we had a tornado hit our area...about 6 miles from our house... some decent damage.. we actually had 3 news trucks at our tiny restaurant! and there were lots of tornados popping up all over.... f poor kids, we had to cancel their outdoor day.. oh well, tomorrow is the last day of school!!

losthighwayz

mommadeb1 wrote:some days my kids get 30+ math problems for homework... then add in their other classes..... grrrrrr

Exactly what drives me crazy! Students should not have more than 30 min of HW per subject area. However, many parents at my site want their kids to have an enormous amount of HW! Busy work does not equate to learning. Frustrating.

losthighwayz

He was a visionary! Basically, there are two types if assessments: formaive and summative. Firmative are ongoing short quizzes, teacher observations, etc to check if students are understanding the oncepts bring taught at the time. If they are not, then teacher needs to stop and reteavh or come up with new strategies o teach that concept before moving on. Summative are end of quarter, unit, etc exams. They assess student knowledge at the end. Benefit of formative us that we adjust instricyion before moving on. Why wit until the end of 10 weeks (summative) to find out if tudents "got it"? Surprisingly, many eucators rely on summative data as well as old school teaching, i.e. Ridiculous mount of homework, in their instructional practices. It is very time consuming to change this but I keep fighting on!

losthighwayz

kylemittskus wrote:Not to hijack the pub and make it a summit on education, but...

This extends beyond high school and I find that equally frustrating. When I taught nursing/pharm classes at the college level, I gave relatively short quizzes and tests for the math (medical terms were obviously and necessarily long). Two or three of each type of question was all I thought was required. If a student can do something three times, he/she can do it 100 times. The process is the exact same.

I wish all my staff shared your way of thinking!

rjquillin

Yikes! We need some spell chcking here...
Our educasion is showin'

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:Yikes! We need some spell chcking here...
Our educasion is showin'

And here I was assuming it was the "smartphone" keyboard!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

losthighwayz wrote:Exactly what drives me crazy! Students should not have more than 30 min of HW per subject area. However, many parents at my site want their kids to have an enormous amount of HW! Busy work does not equate to learning. Frustrating.

yup! But if I complain, then my kid is the one who suffers! I have actually emailed teachers at 11 pm. to say I made my kid stop homework and go to bed. It is ridiculous to have them get off the bus at almost 5, get home, have a snack, start homework, take a break eat dinner, back to homework... shower, then back to homework... mom comes in at 11 and says stop and go to bed....

mommadeb1

losthighwayz wrote:He was a visionary! Basically, there are two types if assessments: formaive and summative. Firmative are ongoing short quizzes, teacher observations, etc to check if students are understanding the oncepts bring taught at the time. If they are not, then teacher needs to stop and reteavh or come up with new strategies o teach that concept before moving on. Summative are end of quarter, unit, etc exams. They assess student knowledge at the end. Benefit of formative us that we adjust instricyion before moving on. Why wit until the end of 10 weeks (summative) to find out if tudents "got it"? Surprisingly, many eucators rely on summative data as well as old school teaching, i.e. Ridiculous mount of homework, in their instructional practices. It is very time consuming to change this but I keep fighting on!

what a novel idea....making sure students grasp a concept before moving on... we have to
push on to cover information that will be on our stupid test called the FCAT. If the kids don't pass they might not move onto the next grade... so it is push push push until feb/march when the test is taken.. but we don't get results until after the kids are out of school for the older kids!! gggrrrrr

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
losthighwayz wrote:Exactly what drives me crazy! Students should not have more than 30 min of HW per subject area. However, many parents at my site want their kids to have an enormous amount of HW! Busy work does not equate to learning. Frustrating.

30 minutes per subject area. 6-8 subjects. That's 3-4 hours HW each night. That's enormous. Kid gets home at 4 after extra curriculars, if they start when they get home, that's 7-8pm before they're done. Add in an hour for dinner... It's bedtime. When do they get to be KIDS?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:30 minutes per subject area. 6-8 subjects. That's 3-4 hours HW each night. That's enormous. Kid gets home at 4 after extra curriculars, if they start when they get home, that's 7-8pm before they're done. Add in an hour for dinner... It's bedtime. When do they get to be KIDS?

When they grow up?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

kylemittskus

HitAnyKey42 wrote:When they grow up?

Alley-oop!

A match made in pub-heaven.

losthighwayz

cheron98 wrote:30 minutes per subject area. 6-8 subjects. That's 3-4 hours HW each night. That's enormous. Kid gets home at 4 after extra curriculars, if they start when they get home, that's 7-8pm before they're done. Add in an hour for dinner... It's bedtime. When do they get to be KIDS?

I am referring to core subjects only: ELA, math, SS, and Science for a maximum of 2 hours! Anyway, there is a Block scheduling model where students alternate days between classes thus reducing daily HW in half....been working hard to implement this model at my school...

losthighwayz

mommadeb1 wrote:what a novel idea....making sure students grasp a concept before moving on... we have to
push on to cover information that will be on our stupid test called the FCAT. If the kids don't pass they might not move onto the next grade... so it is push push push until feb/march when the test is taken.. but we don't get results until after the kids are out of school for the older kids!! gggrrrrr

Is your stat adopting common core standards? They will be changing things from our current NCLB model here in CA. We are moving away from teaching to the test and into delving deeper per standard

losthighwayz

MarkDaSpark wrote:And here I was assuming it was the "smartphone" keyboard!

Sorry Ron, I am too lazy to spell check. Typing on an IPad screen with autocorrect is a pain. Besides, it's not an official document, you know?

rjquillin

losthighwayz wrote:Sorry Ron, I am too lazy to spell check. Typing on an IPad screen with autocorrect is a pain. Besides, it's not an official document, you know?

That actually explains a lot.
The iPad keyboard that is.

But it was a bit strange reading about education and homework with how words were spelled. Gotta be a word for that.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:That actually explains a lot.

But it was a bit strange reading about education and homework with how words were spelled. Gotta be a word for that.

Edumakshun??

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
losthighwayz wrote:I am referring to core subjects only: ELA, math, SS, and Science for a maximum of 2 hours! Anyway, there is a Block scheduling model where students alternate days between classes thus reducing daily HW in half....been working hard to implement this model at my school...

my kids school has a quarter system or somesuch where he only has 4 classes at any given time. Now he may have one of those classes an entire semester, but the other non core classes are only a quarter. Course, they're in each class for like 2 hours a day. I like it because he doesn't have much homework at any given time. Course, getting him to actually DO THE GODDAMN HOMEWORK is another story. He actually has the nerve to say Whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop! like "All my hard classes are this quarter." You have four classes, I don't care how hard they are, you can get the work done. Hell, half his teachers are committed to using part of their extended class time to have them do the homework so they can help out if need be. When I was a kid I had 8 classes uphill in the snow every day!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

Hilarious, the word you're looking for is hilarious.

Also, I'd have bet a significant sum that it was typed on an iPad. I don't even try to type well on my tablet. It's a losing battle.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

I've decided that error.woot.com should be the next woot site. They can sell all the stupid crap that the buyers overbought and can't sell there.

otolith

bhodilee wrote:my kids school has a quarter system or somesuch where he only has 4 classes at any given time. Now he may have one of those classes an entire semester, but the other non core classes are only a quarter. Course, they're in each class for like 2 hours a day. I like it because he doesn't have much homework at any given time. Course, getting him to actually DO THE GODDAMN HOMEWORK is another story. He actually has the nerve to say Whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop! like "All my hard classes are this quarter." You have four classes, I don't care how hard they are, you can get the work done. Hell, half his teachers are committed to using part of their extended class time to have them do the homework so they can help out if need be. When I was a kid I had 8 classes uphill in the snow every day!

I don't think my kids get too much homework, but my kids apparently suffer from the same malady as bowtie's. I wish I could fine a way to "encourage" them to sit down and do it and just get it finished instead of dragging it out over a couple hours...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

otolith wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for the bestest, fastest wireless router. This amped wireless router is a POS and has to go. I think I like the linksys I have, but want a router both up and downstairs.

Thanks for any input, and if you want a good deal on an amped router, lmk.

This seems to have been lost in the education discussion. Any thoughts?

--John Muir

bhodilee

otolith wrote:This seems to have been lost in the education discussion. Any thoughts?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-routers/

I honestly don't remember what my router at home is, but I like it quite a lot. Two private and two guest channels so I have the private stuff set to N only and the Guest stuff set to dual band. All guarded of course. Nothing's open.

Funny thing I notice occasionally in my neighborhood. There is occasionally an open wifi network in my hood that is called DEA Mobile Surveillance Unit. I haven't seen it pop up lately, but how funny would it be if it was ACTUALLY the DEA.

edit: it may very well be the Netgear N750 Wireless looking at the pictures. I can't remember where the hell I bought it. Ebay daily deal maybe?

otolith

bhodilee wrote:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-routers/

I honestly don't remember what my router at home is, but I like it quite a lot. Two private and two guest channels so I have the private stuff set to N only and the Guest stuff set to dual band. All guarded of course. Nothing's open.

Funny thing I notice occasionally in my neighborhood. There is occasionally an open wifi network in my hood that is called DEA Mobile Surveillance Unit. I haven't seen it pop up lately, but how funny would it be if it was ACTUALLY the DEA.

edit: it may very well be the Netgear N750 Wireless looking at the pictures. I can't remember where the hell I bought it. Ebay daily deal maybe?

That would be a classic gov't move. Try to be covert, and have one thing that easily gives it away...

I like the netgear, but am also considering the Asus RT-AC66U router. Seems to get good reviews on CNET and not as great on PC Mag. Funny that the two links you've posted were the two I've been reading. I like that the Asus has 2 USB ports, so I can use my NAS and well as printer on the one router, which may seal the deal for me.

--John Muir

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk

I trust everyone read this article about how-bubbly-can-boost-brain-power

A new study has found that one to two glasses of Champagne a week can help ward off age-related memory loss as well as the onset of dementia and other degenerative brain disorders.

HitAnyKey42

Just another bump and nudge about this WootCeption thing coming up that we would like some people to come celebrate a certain special event with us.

We'd really like to start getting some more emails from ya'll of some more of you wanting to come. After all, it won't be much of a party without you guys there too.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

If anyone out there is looking for a wedding gift to buy, I could use one of these....

http://store.sony.com/c/XBR_4K_Ultra_HDTV/en/c/S_84_4KTV

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen

...or a phrase. "Good enough for government work".

Personally I don't care if other people misspell words or have typos as long as I can understand what they are saying but that's not always the case with lost's profuse number of typos.