cmfisher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmfisher
PemberDucky wrote:sorry for the trouble. i can't seem to get the same results; i'm having no problem on my end.
what sort of error are you seeing?

I'm getting to the "Sign in again" page. I enter my password and it shows that my browser is "Waiting for wantone.woot.com" which never responds and I get:

"
Woot
yikes, there's been a server error

Something on our side of things went wrong. The site could be overloaded, or you may have tried something we didn't test.

Your best bet is to try again. If you get this error page consistently, we'd love it if you'd write us, telling us exactly what you did to get the error. With any luck, we'll fix the problem, and it'll work the next time you try."

HALP!

mmccull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmccull
cmfisher wrote:I'm getting to the "Sign in again" page. I enter my password and it shows that my browser is "Waiting for wantone.woot.com" which never responds and I get:

"
Woot

Something on our side of things went wrong. The site could be overloaded, or you may have tried something we didn't test.

Your best bet is to try again. If you get this error page consistently, we'd love it if you'd write us, telling us exactly what you did to get the error. With any luck, we'll fix the problem, and it'll work the next time you try."

HALP!

I just tried again using firefox instead of chrome and got the same message.

mm

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes
funbunny wrote:Should have given up buying broccoli. What about the Mainstreet tasting? Are you going to have a shill buy for you?

I've created a loophole for the Mainstreet Tasting Extravaganza. I figure if I order the wine that day, I won't actually pay for it and take possession until after Easter. That's ok, right??? I checked with the Pope, but he's now retired and there's no replacement yet.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl
guzmantis wrote:If this deal was priced at $66+$5 shipping I still wouldn’t be buying, and there would probably be more push back here in the comments section. And before anyone says “These are different vintages”, according to Wellington’s website they appear to retail for the same price.

Agree. I got to check out and noticed the tax for the first time. Killed it for me. Bummer, I was eager to get it at the advertised price.

pfffft!

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
andrewtl wrote:Agree. I got to check out and noticed the tax for the first time. Killed it for me. Bummer, I was eager to get it at the advertised price.

I highly suggest not leaving your home if you don't want to pay sales tax.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

So much for reading notes and having work get in the way of seconds, shoulda grabbed two woots last night.
Congrats to wkdpanda on draining the inventory.

CT

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl
loveladyelectric wrote:I highly suggest not leaving your home if you don't want to pay sales tax.

you must live in California.

pfffft!

citizencain1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages citizencain1
mmccull wrote:I just tried again using firefox instead of chrome and got the same message.

I have had the same result since 6 am central time as well - sent a note to CS and heard nothing. I tried Chrome, Firefox and Safari in OSX and Chrome/Explorer and Firefox in Windows. Now it is gone. What a bummer. :-(

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

So Peter, what are you going to sell us the second half of the day?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
North316 wrote:So Peter, what are you going to sell us the second half of the day?

England Crest Syrah! I got some of that a few years ago for $15/bottle and it was great. Advertised as a breakfast wine with "bacon" flavors so I didn't try it for a while, but I don't know Waddams Threatens Fire they were talking about. Very good Syrah.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
andrewtl wrote:you must live in California.

10% tax baby!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS

I missed this one! Recall the very positive feedback for the past Wellington offerings and have been keeping an eye out. The one day I sleep in and am 2 hours behind my regular east coast time.

Hope those who were able to get some enjoy it. Curious to hear how these are drinking.

-Ryan
http://www.TheFermentedFruit.com/

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
andrewtl wrote:you must live in California.

Jealous?

cmfisher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmfisher
cmfisher wrote:I'm getting to the "Sign in again" page. I enter my password and it shows that my browser is "Waiting for wantone.woot.com" which never responds and I get:

"
Woot

HALP!

And now it's gone. Pretty annoying, woot! Pretty annoying indeed.

funbunny

quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny
karenhynes wrote:I've created a loophole for the Mainstreet Tasting Extravaganza. I figure if I order the wine that day, I won't actually pay for it and take possession until after Easter. That's ok, right??? I checked with the Pope, but he's now retired and there's no replacement yet.

Actually, since wine is essential to mass and considered the blood of the big guy, I would think it would be sacrilege to refrain form it in anyway.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes
funbunny wrote:Actually, since wine is essential to mass and considered the blood of the big guy, I would think it would be sacrilege to refrain form it in anyway.

True, but you'll note that I only gave up buying wine, not drinking wine. I'm not THAT crazy!!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

stevenator1957

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevenator1957
noslensj wrote:Wrong.

To ship wine into a state, a winery must obtain a license from that state. As a condition of obtaining that license, the winery is obligated to collect and pay applicable sales and spirits taxes. The details of how this is done will vary from state to state, but rest assured that if your state taxes in-state wine sales, they will collect those same taxes from any out of state entity that obtains permission to sell wine directly to consumers inside the state.

Thank you for the education on this matter as it makes sense. One way or the other we all will be ponying up

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
SonomaBouliste wrote:The 2007 is, by a wide margin, our softest Karren Vineyard Cab yet. I think it is more approachable than the 2006 at this time, and that the 2006 will probably outlive the 2007.

Outlive as in aging better or outlive as in people not buying it all up?

klezman

quality posts: 131 Private Messages klezman
andreaserben wrote:Outlive as in aging better or outlive as in people not buying it all up?

Will age longer.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

maurakid

quality posts: 7 Private Messages maurakid

foolish me. thought I could wait until today....and then forgot to check until now.

Waaaaaaa

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 43 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Hey thunder thighs, early this week on woot they sold out by noon WCT, and put another item up, why not Wine Woot?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
fredrinaldi wrote:Hey thunder thighs, early this week on woot they sold out by noon WCT, and put another item up, why not Wine Woot?

That happens here occassionally, but is fairly rare. WW is a different business model and often deals are set up weeks in advance. The other woots are much different as the items are generally being sold/shipped from the Amazon warehouses, not directly from the vendors.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
SonomaBouliste wrote:When you taste grapes in a given vineyard block during the last weeks of ripening you will notice that the skins become less astringent with time. If hot weather rapidly pushes sugar levels up, acid levels down and starts cooking away flavor compounds, it forces winemakers to make tough decisions. Do you want a wine with balanced alcohol and acid, certain flavors, yet astringent tannin, or do you want soft rich tannins at any cost (high alcohol, low acid, overripe flavors). The really good years are good because fewer tough decisions and compromises are necessary.

Brilliant, thank you Peter, that was just the extra kind of understanding I was looking for. You are the best!

andreaserben

tdedek wrote:We were always paying sales tax before, even those that lived in a state that did not require sales tax. Extra $$$ was added to all Wine Woot offerings as a blanket solution to cover all taxes.

If you compare the same Wine Woot offering, when tax was included and now that it is separate, you will see that the price of the earlier Woots with tax included had increased pricing of $5 or more.

Everyone will now be paying their exact tax for their state instead of everyone sharing in to cover. This can result in lower prices for some or slightly higher prices (maybe a dollar or two at most? depends on the price of the offering) for others, depending on the tax rate in your state.

Interesting enough when a few weeks ago I ordered directly from (the different winery) Expression Wine (Bighorn Cellars, LLC out of Napa, CA) when they had the 2-pack for $32.99 plus $5 shipping per 2-pack if you get 6 or more:
No sales tax whatsoever on the invoice.

Wonder if the winery "directly-directly" can get around it but if they go through woot they have to charge it?

hanchyang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hanchyang
andreaserben wrote:Interesting enough when a few weeks ago I ordered directly from (the different winery) Expression Wine (Bighorn Cellars, LLC out of Napa, CA) when they had the 2-pack for $32.99 plus $5 shipping per 2-pack if you get 6 or more:
No sales tax whatsoever on the invoice.

Wonder if the winery "directly-directly" can get around it but if they go through woot they have to charge it?

I ordered the Expression wine deal in December on the same offer and they did charge me sale tax. Although they charged me the old sales tax of 6% instead of the new-and-improved sales tax of 6.35%.

noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj
andreaserben wrote:

Not unless they are flouting the law. They can't ship wine into the state without getting a license or permit to do so. And they can't get that approval without also being required to collect and remit sales and spirits taxes on all sales to residents of that state.

The only way they might be able to legally avoid remitting tax is if you buy the wine in person at the winery and:
1. the winery is in a state that does not have an in-state sales tax; or

2. the winery is in a state that does not require state sales tax to be paid if the wine is purchased by an out-of-state resident.

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
North316 wrote:That happens here occassionally, but is fairly rare. WW is a different business model and often deals are set up weeks in advance. The other woots are much different as the items are generally being sold/shipped from the Amazon warehouses, not directly from the vendors.

Iirc, last time Wellington sold out they brought up a second offer out of nowhere...

Neal K Bharadwaj

andreaserben

noslensj wrote:Not unless they are flouting the law. They can't ship wine into the state without getting a license or permit to do so. And they can't get that approval without also being required to collect and remit sales and spirits taxes on all sales to residents of that state.

The only way they might be able to legally avoid remitting tax is if you buy the wine in person at the winery and:
1. the winery is in a state that does not have an in-state sales tax; or

2. the winery is in a state that does not require state sales tax to be paid if the wine is purchased by an out-of-state resident.

So, I guess in my case it was likely just a flunk that whoever processed the order made a mistake, I suppose.