canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
PetiteSirah wrote:Wow, are you guys in for a treat today.

Stillman is an insta-buy for me. I don't care about the varietal, I'll generally buy whatever he makes, because he's awesome and talented.

But this... this...

This is by far his best PS yet. And I've had every Black Zeppelin he's sold on here, some he hasn't, and some of the other Stillman wines (Stillmen?).

This is truly exceptional. Sure, it's pricier than the Black Zeppelin, but there's a reason that a BMW 7 series costs more than the 3 series.

I was lucky enough to be vol-ratted a bottle of this wine. And the travel shock didn't slow it a bit.

I decanted it for several hours, and the nose is incredible, despite shipping today. After several hours, when first poured into the glass, there were notes of tart cranberry and some meat juice, from game cooked on seasoned cast iron -- just that bit of umami and hint of a tang. On the palate, those flavors went into the background, joined by animale, as dominant dark berry flavors came to the fore.

As the wine opened, more notes came and it softened, but never became the least bit flabby. More craisins and dried blueberries on the nose, umami and venison with some currant, the hint of iron fading further.

It changed notably as it opened, but went from great to grand, enjoyable the entire time. A complex, and masterful wine, that, the entire time, had multiple notes at different end of the spectrum, hints of coffee and game meat and dried berries, not just adjacent flavors.

To me the really impressive thing about this wine is that even as it softened, there is not even a hint of flab -- the oak is used with a very subtle hand. And, as is Stillman's style, it punches below its weight, alcohol-wise. The tannins are certainly there (it's PS, after all), but not dominant, restrained for a PS, especially at this age.

I've had a hell of a lot of PS, and this is now easily in my top tier. To give you long-time wooters some perspective, I enjoyed this more than any of Kent's PS (with the possible exception of the '01 Reserve), but it was even more complex than that, with flavor combinations and intricacies not often found in PS.

This is by far Stillman's best wine I've tried, his magnum opus to date. It's a wine that any of us should be proud to associate with in any way, and one that properly bears Stillman's name.

Well done, my friend. Well done.

(Needless to say, snatch this up. You won't be disappointed.)

Thanks L, it was this type of reportage that helped w.w. develop a few years ago.

signed.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
darkyouth wrote:SB, when will you start up a wine club so we can just have these auto-bought/shipped to us without having to troll woot?

But we always love SB days here!

I'm just hanging out, really.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

woot off next week?

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown
darkyouth wrote:Stillman makes awesome wine. I haven't been as active as I used to be, trying to conserve funds, almost bought 3...but showed a little restraint and got 2. Excited to try these out as I love the zeppelins.

SB, when will you start up a wine club so we can just have these auto-bought/shipped to us without having to troll woot?

An old school automatic shipment wine club? Never. Unethical! Just get on my email list! StillmanB@aol.com

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie

Loweeel, as always the best PS salesman anyone could ask for. In for one.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 201 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

stillmanbrown wrote:An old school automatic shipment wine club? Never. Unethical! Just get on my email list! StillmanB@aol.com

bravo.

laineyhigg

quality posts: 21 Private Messages laineyhigg

I had to buy it. Had to. Going to put it in the "don't touch for a while" section of my wine fridge.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Is that a SIWBM I hear crumbling?

I never can keep a WBM going for long, but I'm still debating this one. Sounds like wonderful juice, pricier than I generally prefer but for high quality one should be willing to pay, and Stillman has yet to disappoint me...

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Not sold out yet? If anyone was going to buy something on this website, it ought to be SB.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:Dude. I'm in the same boat. And now when SWMBO says this exact thing, I can't use the excuse, "I never thought of that..."

And I found out today the start up I'm working for is pulling the plug... Ouch!
Still....considering.....two.....only one....
Why do I read these comments.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

I want to get this.... but can I justify the price.... seeing how I am going to CA. in a bit more than a month?????

wordek

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek
stillmanbrown wrote:At the rate the states are going, I'm going to have to resume shipping "ceramics".

Stillman I would gladly pay you to ship some 'ceramics' to NH anytime. I too have sent many gifts to the family in the form of 'collectible bottles' ;-)

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman
PetiteSirah wrote:If you're really nice, maybe Stillman will bring a bottle to the afterparty this year...

Sadly I don't think I'll be there this year. Living in SoCal has its (many? several? few?) drawbacks.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jholzman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jholzman

Above my price point right now, but couldn't help myself based on the comments above.

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips
coynedj wrote:Is that a SIWBM I hear crumbling?

I never can keep a WBM going for long, but I'm still debating this one. Sounds like wonderful juice, pricier than I generally prefer but for high quality one should be willing to pay, and Stillman has yet to disappoint me...

The only way to keep a WBM going is to NOT look at woot.wine!

downtownjb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages downtownjb

I don't see any decanting or aging necessary on this PS. It is very good with lots of purple berries and violets emerging...some barnyard though so not sure about the price we were charged. Maybe give it a year. It might change. No tannins or acidity for preservative action, so I wouldn't hold it for more than a year. Fun drink!