kreine60

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kreine60

In for one.
This deal translates to ~$25 per 750ml bottle of port. Conveniently packaged in smaller servings & with a chocolate accompaniment. What's not to love? Welcome back to my life, woot.

[I boycotted Woot for 6 months in response to the demise of the Ladies' woot tee.]

rdeason1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rdeason1

Bought 3 last December, my wife and her friends went nuts over this stuff. I also thought it was excellent and enjoyed the chocolate, too. I told her about this offering today and that it went up five bucks from last year, she said she didn't care and to buy 3 again. Can't argue with that, so in for 3!

chipgreen

quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen
chipgreen wrote:Just cross-checked my Pedroncelli receipts from the tour with their website pricing. They charged me full retail on all of my bottles, not just the Port.

Guess I got Zahtila'd by Pedroncelli!

Pickled Zucchinis!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
jmdavidson wrote:Read through the replies and you will find on page 1, a link (http://dev.pedroncelli.com/recipes/recipe.asp?RecipeID=226) for the cupcake recipe.

Correct! The post just before mine, asking about it!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

[quote postid="5264984" user="PedroncelliFamily"]OK, OK! here it is:
Zuchini Pickles

Great, Thanks! I need to forward this to a friend who loves zucchini and canning.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

mawy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mawy

I've been staring at this all day. I finally just pressed that stupidly large button.

Speed to First Woot: 0m 54.775s First Sucker:MarkDaSpark Last Wooter to Woot:mawy Last Purchase:3 minutes ago

And only becauce Pedroncelli is Italian for 'Drink me, I'm delicious, I swear'.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chipgreen wrote:Just cross-checked my Pedroncelli receipts from the tour with their website pricing. They charged me full retail on all of my bottles, not just the Port.

Guess I got Zahtila'd by Pedroncelli!

I know I got the discount on my 6 bottles. Maybe you had to buy at least 6 (2 Cabs, 2 Ports, & 2 PS) to get the discount? I seem to remember something like that. Especially from the Inaugural Tour.

How many bottles did you buy there?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 180 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

PedroncelliFamily wrote:OK, OK! here it is:
Zuchini Pickles

Margaret Pedroncelli Pedroni

1 lbs small zucchini
2 medium onions
¼ C salt
1 pint white vinegar
1 c sugar
1 t each celery and mustard seed
1 t turmeric
½ t dry mustard
Wash and cut unpeeled zucchini and onions in thin slices. Place in ceramic crock or bowl. Cover with water and add salt. Let stand one hour and drain. Mix remaining ingredients, bring to a boil; pour over zucchini and onion. Let stand one hour. In a non-reactive pot, bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes. Pack in hot sterilized jars to within ½ inch of top and seal.

Thanks Ed. Did you all happen to see the extensive Wine Spectator spread on the Pedroncelli Family and winery?

Check out the big head on on ED now... haha..

chipgreen

MarkDaSpark wrote:I know I got the discount on my 6 bottles. Maybe you had to buy at least 6 (2 Cabs, 2 Ports, & 2 PS) to get the discount? I seem to remember something like that. Especially from the Inaugural Tour.

How many bottles did you buy there?

4 bottles but if there had been a stipulation to buy 6 for a discount I would definitely have bought 6. I'm certainly not expecting a refund or anything at this late juncture but a little acknowledgement might have been nice, like "oops, sorry about that".

rjquillin

quality posts: 153 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:4 bottles but if there had been a stipulation to buy 6 for a discount I would definitely have bought 6. I'm certainly not expecting a refund or anything at this late juncture but a little acknowledgement might have been nice, like "oops, sorry about that".

I was gonna go and check my receipt to verify the price, but since I got well over a case, I now won't bother.
Love to buy Pedroncelli, and just forget it for a couple years, then come back and enjoy bottles drinking, generally, well above their price point.

Ed, you ever get your cellar set up for library wines? I know you were talking about it when we were there...

CT

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:I was gonna go and check my receipt to verify the price, but since I got well over a case, I now won't bother.
Love to buy Pedroncelli, and just forget it for a couple years, then come back and enjoy bottles drinking, generally, well above their price point.

Yeah, not that big of a deal. My tour paperwork shows 10% discount for Pedroncelli so it would only have been about $6.30. They let me have 2 cupcakes, so I'll call it even.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
losthighwayz wrote:have you tried the sangiovese that was part of that Pedroncelli mixed case? I had two bottles and had to dump both of them. I have never done this before. They were undrinkable. I am wondering if this happenned across the board? Congrats on losing the 5 lbs BTW!

Please, please, don't take this the wrong way because I am just trying to understand what you mean, but I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you post that a bottle you had was undrinkable more often than most people. I could be confusing your posts with someone else (baby memory), but if I'm not mistaken, perhaps you just have a rather picky palate. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it seems that such comments, which are completely subjective, could hurt a winery who has, to this point, been overly generous to us winos.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jmtalk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmtalk
jmdavidson wrote:Also, if you go to Aug 10 of the RPM tour (http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4799952&pageindex=36&replycount=1605), blogger IFTWDSWAFO has a link to a YouTube video that shows you how to fill the cupcakes with the port filling.

Thanks for the follow-up Should be mentioned, if no one keeps reading, that this recipe is for the 'mini cupcakes' and the video seems to be for regular sized. Just FYI w/ heads up...cheers!

chipgreen

Winedavid39 wrote:Thanks Ed. Did you all happen to see the extensive Wine Spectator spread on the Pedroncelli Family and winery?

Somebody must have signed me up for WS without telling me because I have received like 4 issues in the last 2 weeks. Which issue is Pedroncelli featured in? I remember Ed saying that they were going to be featured there when he was showing us around the vineyards.

Winedavid39 wrote:
Check out the big head on on ED now... haha..

Well, without Ed they'd just be Proncelli.

EDIT: Found it, the Oct. 31 issue with "Exploring Italy" on the cover. Nice article, will they be bringing back the dry Sauternes? That would be interesting.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
chipgreen wrote:4 bottles but if there had been a stipulation to buy 6 for a discount I would definitely have bought 6. I'm certainly not expecting a refund or anything at this late juncture but a little acknowledgement might have been nice, like "oops, sorry about that".

It doesn't look like I got a discount either, but their prices are very reasonable, so I'm not going to complain.

Ed and Co were just so damn nice and left such a great feeling with my wife and I. I'd go back and visit them next time we're in the area.

Now, if I could only find my bottles from Robert Craig and Iron Horse...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chipgreen

otolith wrote:It doesn't look like I got a discount either, but their prices are very reasonable, so I'm not going to complain.

Ed and Co were just so damn nice and left such a great feeling with my wife and I. I'd go back and visit them next time we're in the area.

Agreed, and in fact the WS article focuses on the fact that they are a real throwback to the times when most of the wineries in the area were family owned and operated, churning out high-quality, affordable wines. Most of the others have either sold out to large companies or went "upscale" with their wines but Pedroncelli has been chugging along since before prohibition.

otolith wrote:
Now, if I could only find my bottles from Robert Craig and Iron Horse...

Yikes!

otolith

chipgreen wrote:Yikes!

No kidding! I don't know where they are or if they even made it home. My wife thinks I packed them in my suitcase, and I don't remember. : (. I'm going to tear the cellar apart looking for them this weekend.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

chipgreen wrote:Well, without Ed they'd just be Proncelli.

EDIT: Found it, the Oct. 31 issue with "Exploring Italy" on the cover. Nice article, will they be bringing back the dry Sauternes? That would be interesting.

It was a great article. I'm amazed at how often I find their wines locally (and how often I order them when we're out).

--John Muir

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
chipgreen wrote:Somebody must have signed me up for WS without telling me because I have received like 4 issues in the last 2 weeks.

Same thing happened to me about 10 months ago. And now I am getting renewal letters. They want something like $75 for 3 years. So they give one free year to pull you in, guess you could say that's 4 years for $75.

Wonder if they buy some mailing lists from wine.woot...

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

chipgreen

otolith wrote:It was a great article. I'm amazed at how often I find their wines locally (and how often I order them when we're out).

I haven't seen their wines in NE Ohio, I'll have to look more closely.

Good luck finding the RC and IH!

chipgreen

mschauber wrote:Same thing happened to me about 10 months ago. And now I am getting renewal letters. They want something like $75 for 3 years. So they give one free year to pull you in, guess you could say that's 4 years for $75.

Wonder if they buy some mailing lists from wine.woot...

I previously had a subscription to Wine Enthusiast and it occurred to me that they may actually be published by the same company? My WE subscription ran out approx. 4 months ago.

rjquillin

quality posts: 153 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:Agreed, and in fact the WS article focuses on the fact that they are a real throwback to the times when most of the wineries in the area were family owned and operated, churning out high-quality, affordable wines. Most of the others have either sold out to large companies or went "upscale" with their wines but Pedroncelli has been chugging along since before prohibition.

Likely helps too that they have owned the land for generations, so they don't have a mortgage overhead.

CT

bolligra

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bolligra
chipgreen wrote:I haven't seen their wines in NE Ohio, I'll have to look more closely.

Good luck finding the RC and IH!

I just found a bottle of the 2005 vintage at DaveCo liquors north of Denver for $18. I wonder how this compares to the '06 & '07. (I bought one; if I like it I'll get a couple more).

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

PedroncelliFamily

quality posts: 51 Private Messages PedroncelliFamily
chipgreen wrote:Well, without Ed they'd just be Proncelli.

Wow! What a memory!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 180 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

otolith wrote:No kidding! I don't know where they are or if they even made it home. My wife thinks I packed them in my suitcase, and I don't remember. : (. I'm going to tear the cellar apart looking for them this weekend.

just sent you a PM.

nikkers1023

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nikkers1023

Dunno if anyone can help with this.... Purchased the port and lost the packing slip! I know there was a coupon included for half off shipping? Anyway to get it or no? Ugh...I swear it was filed, one of the kids must have gotten to it. (4 kids....we go through a lot of port ;) j/k lol...no really, hahaha)

Thanks for any help!

retolley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages retolley

Did anyone else not receive their order? I was really excited about this purchase but it has been 7 weeks and no progress on the delivery except for showing that it was "initiated". I have been contacting woot who kept telling me to wait a little longer. When I contacted them again last week I got no response. My credit card was charged back in Dec. I understand it can take a while with wine orders and this was my first one so I'm just wondering if others got their order?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 503 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

retolley wrote:Did anyone else not receive their order? I was really excited about this purchase but it has been 7 weeks and no progress on the delivery except for showing that it was "initiated". I have been contacting woot who kept telling me to wait a little longer. When I contacted them again last week I got no response. My credit card was charged back in Dec. I understand it can take a while with wine orders and this was my first one so I'm just wondering if others got their order?

I'm looking at your tracking and it shows it was delivered on 12/14. I'll email customer service as well so they can look for your email.

retolley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages retolley
ThunderThighs wrote:I'm looking at your tracking and it shows it was delivered on 12/14. I'll email customer service as well so they can look for your email.

Thanks, someone got back to me today. You must have looked at the wrong tracking info though as mine (747796863265741) says "initiated" Dec. 10th (info sent to FEDEX) then nothing after with no available delivery date or progress made.