jcarwash31

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jcarwash31

I just wanted to say that a couple years back we (wife, her sister, & sister's husband) stopped in Wellington while in Sonoma. It was a Monday morning, so we were the only ones there. Peter was willing to pour anything for us and it was a fantastic experience. We couldn't leave without buying a couple bottles of port.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
speedoo wrote:Peter, your thoughts on the 08 Cab vs. The 07 Cab, please?

We used a lot of Petit Verdot and Cab Franc in 2008 in order to attain similar style and balance. The 2008 Cab was softer than 2007 and needed more of these PEBs to fill it out and give it the balance and structure to last. Aromatically the 2007 is a little more herbaceous (black currant, olive), while the 2008 leans more to cherry-like fruit with spice.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
kylemittskus wrote:07 >>>>>> 08.

Generally, yes. In this case, we didn't bottle a 2008 Karren Vineyard Cab - we used it all in the Sonoma County Cab blend. So, we don't have a Karren Cab (which we sell at a higher price), but we have a strong county Cab. Also, in the case of a county blend (as opposed to a single vineyard wine) we have the leeway to blend larger amounts of other varieties such as Petit Verdot and Cab Franc to attain a more consistent style vintage to vintage.

edit: I almost forgot - we also put one batch of sub par Cab into the Duke.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

In for one, under wire. Would be willing to split with someone in the Seattle area. (added note - Splitting arrangements made).

davide63

quality posts: 4 Private Messages davide63
SonomaBouliste wrote:Generally, yes. In this case, we didn't bottle a 2008 Karren Vineyard Cab - we used it all in the Sonoma County Cab blend. So, we don't have a Karren Cab (which we sell at a higher price), but we have a strong county Cab. Also, in the case of a county blend (as opposed to a single vineyard wine) we have the leeway to blend larger amounts of other varieties such as Petit Verdot and Cab Franc to attain a more consistent style vintage to vintage.

Thanks for the input - I decided to go for it even with the 08 Cab