klezman

quality posts: 178 Private Messages klezman
chipgreen wrote:You could have just uncovered the bricks, hosed them off and told Molarchae that you built a patio.

You've met her....you think that would fly??
(Also, they weren't laid down nicely. Rather haphazard)

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85
klezman wrote:You've met her....you think that would fly??
(Also, they weren't laid down nicely. Rather haphazard)

PM for you

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cortot20 wrote:Hold on, I've done south west coast to coast flight, please detail out all the stops in between!

April 28th: Depart BUF 6:05 PM, Arrive PHX 7:50 PM, Depart PHX 9:15 PM, Arrive LAX 10:35 PM. One plane change.
April 30th: Depart LAX 1:50 PM, Arrive LAS 2:55 PM, Depart LAS 4:05 PM, Arrive BUF 11:20 PM. One plane change.
Sorry it took so long to reply. We were AFK for a few days for a little getaway before spending the next 6 days at church, rehearsing or singing at Mass.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22

Record high for CT today. 88 degrees. I had to make sure to ride early, before the heat. No way I was ready to ride in the 80's. Hell, I can hardly handle the 70's.

I did a nice 30 mile ride, with a fair amount of climbing. A little slow, but this is earlier in the season than I have ever done this ride. So far, retirement is working out well.

bahwm

quality posts: 59 Private Messages bahwm
polarbear22 wrote:Record high for CT today. 88 degrees. I had to make sure to ride early, before the heat. No way I was ready to ride in the 80's. Hell, I can hardly handle the 70's.

I did a nice 30 mile ride, with a fair amount of climbing. A little slow, but this is earlier in the season than I have ever done this ride. So far, retirement is working out well.

Nice job! Today's high is supposed to be 46! Currently, 43 and we're tied up for the rest of the day. No riding for me. Plus, ddeuddeg and I both have solos tomorrow and I'm still hacking away every now and again. Urg!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1
polarbear22 wrote:Record high for CT today. 88 degrees. I had to make sure to ride early, before the heat. No way I was ready to ride in the 80's. Hell, I can hardly handle the 70's.

Wow.. I think you were hotter than we were by a few degrees!

mommadeb1

Charley Murphy died?!!

awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85
mommadeb1 wrote:Charley Murphy died?!!

Who is charley? I only know about the guy purifying himself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

rjquillin

quality posts: 289 Private Messages rjquillin
awl85 wrote:Who is charley? I only know about the guy purifying himself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

Unless you watch Comedy Central, ( I don't) Google is your friend.
Never heard of him...

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 236 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
awl85 wrote:Who is charley? I only know about the guy purifying himself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

I believe he's Eddie's younger brother.

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm

I FINALLY did it! After years of being dissatisfied with the pierogis that I find in stores, I asked a friend who makes them for his recipe and he sent me his grandmother's recipe right away! Gotta love being able to take a pic and send it immediately! For those who don't know, pierogis are kind of like the Polish version of ravioli, but are fried in butter before eating. I like to put cinnamon and sugar on the cheese ones. I think the potato, onion and cheese ones will taste really good with a little sour cream.

Last night I finished making two different kinds: cheese and also, potato, cheese and onion. ddeuddeg and I taste-tested one of each and IMHO they turned out really good! They are time-consuming to make, but fairly easy once you figure it out! I think I made about 72 of them! Not sure. I did all of the dough making, filling making, rolling, patting, cutting, filling, sealing, crimping and ddeuddeg lent a hand in cooking them to perfection in boiling water. His help was perfect--I could keep on doing my thing, while he cooked them in batches!

We'll have some for dinner tonight with some kielbasa (smoked and fresh); horseradish; rye bread; ham and cheese and asparagus. Then, we'll take some to our niece's for dinner tomorrow. I don't think her in-laws have ever had homemade ones!

Thoughts for next time: make the fillings the day before; allow enough time to make the pierogi all at once (We had to put the dough in the fridge while we went to church and dinner. I hope that wait-time didn't toughen the dough too much! I could actually feel the difference in rolling it out!).

If I sound a bit proud of myself, I am. I used to watch my Mom make them as a kid, but then, I got busy with other things and never helped her except to pick up the Farmer's Cheese at the market. This was one of those recipes that she never wrote down. Just a thought: if your parents, grandparents, etc. make special dishes, get the recipes while you can. (Next, I have to combine the recipes that I used for the pierogi into one file. I used Rick's grandmother's dough recipes and two internet sources for the fillings!)

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
bahwm wrote:I FINALLY did it! After years of being dissatisfied with the pierogis that I find in stores, I asked a friend who makes them for his recipe and he sent me his grandmother's recipe right away! Gotta love being able to take a pic and send it immediately! For those who don't know, pierogis are kind of like the Polish version of ravioli, but are fried in butter before eating. I like to put cinnamon and sugar on the cheese ones. I think the potato, onion and cheese ones will taste really good with a little sour cream.

Last night I finished making two different kinds: cheese and also, potato, cheese and onion. ddeuddeg and I taste-tested one of each and IMHO they turned out really good! They are time-consuming to make, but fairly easy once you figure it out! I think I made about 72 of them! Not sure. I did all of the dough making, filling making, rolling, patting, cutting, filling, sealing, crimping and ddeuddeg lent a hand in cooking them to perfection in boiling water. His help was perfect--I could keep on doing my thing, while he cooked them in batches!

We'll have some for dinner tonight with some kielbasa (smoked and fresh); horseradish; rye bread; ham and cheese and asparagus. Then, we'll take some to our niece's for dinner tomorrow. I don't think her in-laws have ever had homemade ones!

Thoughts for next time: make the fillings the day before; allow enough time to make the pierogi all at once (We had to put the dough in the fridge while we went to church and dinner. I hope that wait-time didn't toughen the dough too much! I could actually feel the difference in rolling it out!).

If I sound a bit proud of myself, I am. I used to watch my Mom make them as a kid, but then, I got busy with other things and never helped her except to pick up the Farmer's Cheese at the market. This was one of those recipes that she never wrote down. Just a thought: if your parents, grandparents, etc. make special dishes, get the recipes while you can. (Next, I have to combine the recipes that I used for the pierogi into one file. I used Rick's grandmother's dough recipes and two internet sources for the fillings!)

Mmmm, kielbasa and pierogies!

Congrats on expanding your cooking skills and Amen to getting those family recipes while you can.

There are some great sausage & pierogi places in the Cleveland area, especially in Slavic Village and the suburb of Parma.

For future reference...

klezman

chipgreen wrote:Mmmm, kielbasa and pierogies!

Congrats on expanding your cooking skills and Amen to getting those family recipes while you can.

There are some great sausage & pierogi places in the Cleveland area, especially in Slavic Village and the suburb of Parma.

For future reference...

Yum!
I've made Chinese dumplings many times, but never the dough from scratch. I've wanted to try pierogies for a while!

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:I FINALLY did it! After years of being dissatisfied with the pierogis that I find in stores, I asked a friend who makes them for his recipe and he sent me his grandmother's recipe right away!

Sounds yummy! I love pierogis! We have a teacher who makes them once a year. Nothing beats homemade

MarkDaSpark

Happy Easter!!!!

x20             
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

edlada

quality posts: 8 Private Messages edlada
bahwm wrote:I FINALLY did it! After years of being dissatisfied with the pierogis that I find in stores, I asked a friend who makes them for his recipe and he sent me his grandmother's recipe right away! Gotta love being able to take a pic and send it immediately! For those who don't know, pierogis are kind of like the Polish version of ravioli, but are fried in butter before eating. I like to put cinnamon and sugar on the cheese ones. I think the potato, onion and cheese ones will taste really good with a little sour cream.

Come on over here for a visit, more pierogi than you can shake your kielbasa at. The main varieties are Ruskie (potato and cheese), mięso (meat), and kapusta i grzybami (cabbage and wild mushrooms). There are many others and fruit filled too.
Often here, with the potato and cheese ones, they just boil them, put them on the plate and spoon a little melted lard with bits of bacon over them. One time I went to a restaurant in Warsaw that specialized in pierogi, they must have had more than 20 varieties of pierogi there.

I can relate to your childhood memories, the first time I came here and walked into a Polish person's house, I said "Hey, this smells like my grandmother's house!".

My dogs like me, that is important.

bahwm

edlada wrote:Come on over here for a visit, more pierogi than you can shake your kielbasa at. The main varieties are Ruskie (potato and cheese), mięso (meat), and kapusta i grzybami (cabbage and wild mushrooms). There are many others and fruit filled too.
Often here, with the potato and cheese ones, they just boil them, put them on the plate and spoon a little melted lard with bits of bacon over them. One time I went to a restaurant in Warsaw that specialized in pierogi, they must have had more than 20 varieties of pierogi there.

I can relate to your childhood memories, the first time I came here and walked into a Polish person's house, I said "Hey, this smells like my grandmother's house!".

We have a pierogi restaurant here. It just opened up. We have yet to go or to try their food truck. We'll go one day soon. Some other restaurants are doing all kinds of fillings, too.

The ones that I made were a hit with my niece and nephew. Nephew was rather surprised that I made them. He hasn't spent enough time at our house. He lives in Pennsylvania, about 6 hours away. Everybody at Easter dinner really liked them. Success!

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316

I must be the only one who likes the commercially produced ones, hah. I actually think they are quite good and every time I have them I think to myself, why go through trouble to ever make these yourself? Also, I know it is traditional, but I do not boil them, I pan fry the whole way in 50/50 olive oil and butter until golden on all sides, sometimes with some onions. Must better result texturally than boiling.

Also, I know that everyone has their favorite kielbasa, but we have a local polish market here that hands-down has the best I have ever had (they ship too!).

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bahwm

North316 wrote:I must be the only one who likes the commercially produced ones, hah. I actually think they are quite good and every time I have them I think to myself, why go through trouble to ever make these yourself? Also, I know it is traditional, but I do not boil them, I pan fry the whole way in 50/50 olive oil and butter until golden on all sides, sometimes with some onions. Must better result texturally than boiling.

Also, I know that everyone has their favorite kielbasa, but we have a local polish market here that hands-down has the best I have ever had (they ship too!).

If you like a lot of dough, the "commercially" prepared ones are decent. I'm quite certain that they roll the dough thicker so that they don't bust/break in the boiling process. When you buy them commercially prepared and frozen, they have already been boiled to "cook" the dough and the ingredients since many of the fillings contain egg. When I heat them prior to eating, I cook them in butter until they are browned on both sides. IMHO, cinnamon & sugar are a must for the cheese ones. The potato, cheese and onion ones were perfect with sour cream.

I was able to make my pierogi a lot thinner and more delicate than the bought ones--more like what my Mom would have made. It helps to cut down on the processed white flour, carbs and gluten intake (although for this week, all "normal" eating is out the window!).

mommadeb1

Long day at work. We have state testing now until almost the end of the year. Excluding today Testing everyday this week. I get pulled to be in PreK all day. I enjoy the little ones, but I had other plans for today

Hope everyone had a great Monday!

klezman

bahwm wrote:It helps to cut down on the processed white flour, carbs and gluten intake (although for this week, all "normal" eating is out the window!).

I know my excuse (Passover)...what's yours? Is there something about Easter?

bahwm

klezman wrote:I know my excuse (Passover)...what's yours? Is there something about Easter?

Totally. It's the Polish traditions of Easter: pierogi, kielbasa (Polish sausage-smoked and fresh), rye bread, ham, cheese, horseradish or Weber's Horseradish mustard, placek (Polish coffee cake), almond ring, Polish cookies with vanilla or chocolate frosting, Chrusciki (fried dough bow ties) and hard boiled eggs (of which we had none!). I think I got it all in! Oh, and ddeuddeg made a Key Lime Cheesecake!

Almost all of the carb laden foods have been consumed. I think we have enough ham and Lorraine Swiss for sandwiches for lunch tomorrow. We're going to have to freeze a bunch of the pierogi and then, make more to use up the Farmer's cheese or freeze it. Not sure which will happen first. We'll have to freeze the kielbasa.

It was soooo good to have a normal dinner tonight: grilled salmon, TJ's whole wheat couscous with sautéed shallot, mixed peppers and truffle oil and lavender vinegar with some special spices and roasted pine nuts and grilled asparagus.

MarkDaSpark

Shiney Hiney is back.

x20             

MarkDaSpark

Do we need to give up on a monthly Pub and go to an annual one?

Or is monthly fine?

x20             

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Do we need to give up on a monthly Pub and go to an annual one?

Or is monthly fine?

Maybe it's me killing the pub all the time

otolith

quality posts: 26 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:Do we need to give up on a monthly Pub and go to an annual one?

Or is monthly fine?

Monthly. It's starting to get nice out, so we who have been cooped up need to get out and spread our wings...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

otolith wrote:Monthly. It's starting to get nice out, so we who have been cooped up need to get out and spread our wings...

Agreed.

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:Maybe it's me killing the pub all the time

Not all the time!

There are a few of us that are accomplices!

x20             

klezman

bahwm wrote:Totally. It's the Polish traditions of Easter: pierogi, kielbasa (Polish sausage-smoked and fresh), rye bread, ham, cheese, horseradish or Weber's Horseradish mustard, placek (Polish coffee cake), almond ring, Polish cookies with vanilla or chocolate frosting, Chrusciki (fried dough bow ties) and hard boiled eggs (of which we had none!). I think I got it all in! Oh, and ddeuddeg made a Key Lime Cheesecake!

Almost all of the carb laden foods have been consumed. I think we have enough ham and Lorraine Swiss for sandwiches for lunch tomorrow. We're going to have to freeze a bunch of the pierogi and then, make more to use up the Farmer's cheese or freeze it. Not sure which will happen first. We'll have to freeze the kielbasa.

It was soooo good to have a normal dinner tonight: grilled salmon, TJ's whole wheat couscous with sautéed shallot, mixed peppers and truffle oil and lavender vinegar with some special spices and roasted pine nuts and grilled asparagus.

That sounds amazing. If Easter and Passover don't overlap I'd be down for a Polish Easter feast!

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Not all the time!

There are a few of us that are accomplices!

Thanks. I feel better now

bahwm

Did you guys notice that woot is now participating in ebates? Not sure if it works on w.w.

Cesare

quality posts: 2395 Private Messages Cesare
bahwm wrote:Did you guys notice that woot is now participating in ebates? Not sure if it works on w.w.

1% Cash Back on computers and electronics
2% Cash Back on most items
No Cash Back on wine and gourmet items
Exclusions: Cash Back is not available on wine, gourmet items, or bulk purchases.
link

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

losthighwayz

quality posts: 83 Private Messages losthighwayz

Nice! I need to get back in the saddle. My bike is being used to as a clothesline of sorts in our garage.

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

quality posts: 83 Private Messages losthighwayz

Back to work Monday. Been a nice week and a half away from teachers, parents, and students...needed the refresher. The next few months are the toughest!

"The older I get the better I was"

klezman

losthighwayz wrote:Back to work Monday. Been a nice week and a half away from teachers, parents, and students...needed the refresher. The next few months are the toughest!

But don't the next few months also include summer?

bahwm

klezman wrote:But don't the next few months also include summer?

Yeah, but don't forget, he's an admin. Usually that's a 12 month job--at least it is in NYS.

mommadeb1

klezman wrote:But don't the next few months also include summer?

We have about 2 more months of crazy testing before make it to summer.

klezman

bahwm wrote:Yeah, but don't forget, he's an admin. Usually that's a 12 month job--at least it is in NYS.

Truth. (Really, though, we just like poking fun in his direction )

klezman

mommadeb1 wrote:We have about 2 more months of crazy testing before make it to summer.

What's with all the testing? That doesn't make sense to me.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg

It doesn't make sense to any of the teachers I know, either. I got out of public school teaching at just about the right time. Where I am, our diploma is recognized by the State Education Department, and we don't have to deal with common core or the state exams. And our boys get into the best colleges.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook