MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 234 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:Or a bit over an hour if you carefully select your travel time.
Sea World and the zoo down here, but Oto knows that from an earlier visit.

And drive 20mph over the speed limit the whole way down!

It's 45 minutes to San Clemente from LB!

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:And drive 20mph over the speed limit the whole way down!

It's 45 minutes to San Clemente from LB!

Ok, so perhaps an hour fifteen or twenty at normal velocities.

CT

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
tytiger58 wrote:Ugghh I don't mind swishing Cathy's wines but I never spit them!

Um, there are going to be 27+ wines.

Without spitting and some recovery, your palate will be toast halfway through. And by the end, you'll need to get a room at the hotel that is fortunately stumbling distance from my house.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.

tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58
zTimothyBz wrote:Um, there are going to be 27+ wines.

Without spitting and some recovery, your palate will be toast halfway through. And by the end, you'll need to get a room at the hotel that is fortunately stumbling distance from my house.

With 27+ plus wines my palate will be toast anyway you look at it... I'm not Robert Parker you know. Hotel rooms are your friend

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

zTimothyBz

tytiger58 wrote:With 27+ plus wines my palate will be toast anyway you look at it...

I suggest you train up in the next month or so. Otherwise, I reserve the right to pour Charles Shaw into your glasses after the first set of flights. (Or earlier if necessary!) You won't be able to tell the difference, so why not.

Trust me on this one. The morning of the first day of the first RPM tour was a trial-by-fire for me wine-wise. (But I'm going to blame the wonderful lunch we had at Seghesio - it was family-owned back then. Yeah, that's it! Not my fault at all.) Anyway, I was wrecked for the afternoon. We went to a winery known for their hot, peppery Zins, and I couldn't even taste - I had to take a break.

The next day I made sure to follow the rules for wine tasting. Things went much better.

tytiger58 wrote:I'm not Robert Parker you know.

No one is. Not even him. Fun fact: Parker refuses to taste wines blind.

(p.s. Added some details to the initial post.)

tytiger58

zTimothyBz wrote:

Yea that's one of the reasons i'm starting to waver on this one, I have never been a big fan of tasting mass quantities of wine for fun/science especially wines I know that I like. Slightly different opinion if I have never had any of the wines i'm tasting but never that many all at once. Also one of the reasons I never signed up for the RPM tour, no way do I get up at 7 or 8am to taste wine for 3 straight days

tytiger58

zTimothyBz wrote:No one is. Not even him. Fun fact: Parker refuses to taste wines blind.

(p.s. Added some details to the initial post.)

Oh and you can pour me all the 2 buck chuck you want blind but I don't think whatever I called it would be worse that calling a Kronos a hot Paso wine...you know who you are

MarkDaSpark

- There are dogs in the house. (Though they won't be joining us for the tasting!) That's an alert for people with allergies.

Muwahahahahahahahaha! Dogs? More like horses!

While they are very friendly, they are definitely not lapdogs! Unless you are Hagrid!

x20             
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

tytiger58 wrote:Yea that's one of the reasons i'm starting to waver on this one, I have never been a big fan of tasting mass quantities of wine for fun/science especially wines I know that I like. Slightly different opinion if I have never had any of the wines i'm tasting but never that many all at once. Also one of the reasons I never signed up for the RPM tour, no way do I get up at 7 or 8am to taste wine for 3 straight days

But the fun part is seeing how they age over the years! Tim has posted a schedule that looks great!

And there will be breaks between flights, so it should be interesting. I'm still going to swish and spit, even with 1oz pours. The last set though ....

You missed out on great times by skipping the RPM Tour. And it does get tough on Day 3! Then there is the pre-tour and post-tour winery visits! I think most of us take a week off from wine!

x20             

MarkDaSpark

FYI, no RPM Tour this year, so come on out in April!

x20             

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:Leaning towards it, would be a rare opportunity.

If it helps, Voodoo Donuts just opened in Universal Citywalk!

x20             

rpm

quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm

If there's room for me, I will try to make it. Will need a place to stay....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rjquillin

rpm wrote:If there's room for me, I will try to make it. Will need a place to stay....

It would be great to see you.

CT

MarkDaSpark

Lodgings ....

Closest I believe is La Quinta Inn & Suites NE Long Beach/Cypress starting at $124.

There's also the Sheraton Cerritos Hotel not much farther, starting at $151.

Over by LGB, there's a Courtyard, Marriott, and a Holiday Inn. A little farther south off the 405 (but close to the 605 junction) is an Ayres Hotel Seal Beach.

There's others in downtown LB, by the Aquarium, but those are farther away.

Edit: A little ways farther east, but not as far as downtown LB, is Buena Park, home of Knotts. Plenty of hotels there too.

x20             

Winedavid39

quality posts: 312 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

I'd love to try to make this. will probably bring my (of age) daughter with me. Winefarm has to stay home.

MarkDaSpark

Winedavid39 wrote:I'd love to try to make this. will probably bring my (of age) daughter with me. Winefarm has to stay home.

Yea! And Boo!

x20             

bsevern

quality posts: 115 Private Messages bsevern

Looks like a great event you guys are putting together. Oldest Corison I have is a 1994 Mag.

I remember Tim loading up a sled full of Corison wines on the 2012 RPM Tour

rjquillin

Winedavid39 wrote:I'd love to try to make this. will probably bring my (of age) daughter with me. Winefarm has to stay home.

What are your cartage fees?

Will miss WF, but will be good to see you again as well.
Upside, your fence is safe.

CT

javadrinker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages javadrinker

Will miss WF but looking forward to seeing everyone. But no politics please. This is about the wine and the friends. ;)

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85

+1 for tasting group

zTimothyBz

All the bottles for the tasting are now in the wine locker. And since the tasting is just five weeks away, it's time to start asking for money.

For people who would be sending checks, please PM me for the address.

For people who want to use paypal, rjquillin will be setting up something - possibly the same account we used for the 2014 RPM tour. In any case, he'll post about it when it's sorted out.

(edit - Deleted the food information from here, since I've added it to the first post of the thread. Also, shortened the following.)

Since we are only four weeks away, I'm going to ask for the full $240/$40 for tasting/dinner-only. Please be in touch with me or RJ to get confirmed.

rjquillin

zTimothyBz wrote:For people who want to use paypal, rjquillin will be setting up something - possibly the same account we used for the 2014 RPM tour. In any case, he'll post about it when it's sorted out.

For those that don't remember...
2014rpmtour at gmail dot com
is the address to use for PP.
If you do a transfer from a bank account, or pay from a balance, there is no fee for either.
CC funded payments either the sender or recipient will incur a service charge.

It's free within the U.S. to send money to family and friends when you use only your PayPal balance or bank account, or a combination of their PayPal balance and bank account.

There is a fee to send money as a personal payment using a debit card or credit card. The fee in the U.S. is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you send. For example, if you send $100.00 USD by credit card, the fee would be $3.20 USD ($2.90 + $0.30). For personal payments, the sender can pay the fee or pass it on to the recipient. If the recipient doesn't want to pay the fee, they can choose not to accept the payment.

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bahwm
zTimothyBz wrote:All the bottles for the tasting are now in the wine locker. And since the tasting is just five weeks away, it's time to start asking for money.

For people who want to use paypal, rjquillin will be setting up something - possibly the same account we used for the 2014 RPM tour. In any case, he'll post about it when it's sorted out.

I'm going to ask for the full $240/$40 for tasting/dinner-only. I won't know the final costs until pretty close to the day, but it's pretty likely I'll be handing out a little cash to everyone who shows up. Those numbers won't be going up, though, even if I've screwed up in my accounting.

If there is dietary stuff to sort out, please PM me. The core of the food will be lamb and chicken kabobs and rice. (Putting it that way, is like saying wine is soured grape juice.)

To update, in case you didn't see it in the Pub: ddeuddeg must unfortunately send our regrets. Have a great time all! Hi to Cathy from us!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

bahwm wrote:To update, in case you didn't see it in the Pub: ddeuddeg must unfortunately send our regrets. Have a great time all! Hi to Cathy from us!

oto also

CT

tytiger58

It looks like Andrea and I are out...she will be working all day and spitting Corison all day is just not the format for me... I will leave it to all you professionals and i'm sure you will have a great time. I will miss seeing and drinking with all you nut jobs tho!

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:It looks like Andrea and I are out...she will be working all day and spitting Corison all day is just not the format for me... I will leave it to all you professionals and i'm sure you will have a great time. I will miss seeing and drinking with all you nut jobs tho!

And you'll miss the 3L I got from you as well.

CT

tytiger58

rjquillin wrote:And you'll miss the 3L I got from you as well.

Nope I have plenty of wine I will miss seeing everyone more

MarkDaSpark

tytiger58 wrote:Nope I have plenty of wine I will miss seeing everyone more

You could just come for dinner then!

x20             

awl85

tytiger58 wrote:Nope I have plenty of wine I will miss seeing everyone more

You will be missed. Thank you for introducing me to Corison during last gathering.

MarkDaSpark wrote:You could just come for dinner then!

Ditto!

rjquillin

awl85 wrote:
You will be missed. Thank you for introducing me to Corison during last gathering.

That wasn't just a Corison; that was an '07 Kronos!

Try to find one of those today on the open market...

CT

awl85

rjquillin wrote:That wasn't just a Corison; that was an '07 Kronos!

Try to find one of those today on the open market...

That was not lost on me! Still time for tiger to reconsider

awl85

zTimothyBz wrote:All the bottles for the tasting are now in the wine locker. And since the tasting is just five weeks away, it's time to start asking for money.

I'm going to ask for the full $240/$40 for tasting/dinner-only. I won't know the final costs until pretty close to the day, but it's pretty likely I'll be handing out a little cash to everyone who shows up. Those numbers won't be going up, though, even if I've screwed up in my accounting.

If there is dietary stuff to sort out, please PM me. The core of the food will be lamb and chicken kabobs and rice. (Putting it that way, is like saying wine is soured grape juice.)

PMs for you

zTimothyBz

awl85 wrote:PMs for you

For me or for RJ? I don't see one from you.

awl85

zTimothyBz wrote:For me or for RJ? I don't see one from you.

For you. Was added to same PM as my first PM. Let me know if you still don't see it and I'll resend as new one.

zTimothyBz

awl85 wrote:For you. Was added to same PM as my first PM. Let me know if you still don't see it and I'll resend as new one.

Probably need to send as a new one.

awl85

zTimothyBz wrote:Probably need to send as a new one.

Sent

merbill

quality posts: 40 Private Messages merbill

Do the "Dinner onlys" get some wine to drink, or should I bring something?

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919
Basket of Chocolate x 24
First Grape Debater

zTimothyBz

merbill wrote:Do the "Dinner onlys" get some wine to drink, or should I bring something?

They do. You don't need to bring anything. (Though by the day of the tasting, some sanity would be valued!) It's going to be more Corison. Probably a 2005 and a 1994. Plus a little bubbly to start and something at dessert.

Which leads me to two thoughts:

- tytiger is going to say they are the lucky ones, since they get to simply enjoy the wine without all the bother of swish and spit.

- Even though I've been thinking about this - my own +1 is in the dinner-only category, after all - I forgot to factor it into the costs. Well, too bad for me.

And with the possible exception of tytiger, noted below, the dinner-only group is now closed.

tytiger58

zTimothyBz wrote:

- tytiger is going to say they are the lucky ones, since they get to simply enjoy the wine without all the bother of swish and spit.

Ha! If I can swing the dinner only thing maybe I could add a 2000 Chave Hermitage or a 1996 Château Angélus so the dinner only crowd does not feel like second class citizens

And of course I would be happy to chip in for whatever you donate.

zTimothyBz

tytiger58 wrote:Ha! If I can swing the dinner only thing maybe I could add a 2000 Chave Hermitage or a 1996 Château Angélus so the dinner only crowd does not feel like second class citizens

And of course I would be happy to chip in for whatever you donate.

Those two Corisons, and they are second class citizens?!? (I detest "LOL", but you really did get me laughing as I typed that.)

I was just coming online to note that the dinner-only part was full and closed. But for you, I will make *the* one exception. Two exceptions actually - joining the now-closed dinner-only group and being in that group without being the +1 of someone at the tasting. (Though I suppose we could say you are RJ or Sparky's date!)

My own +1 will effectively be part of the hired help for the day. Anyone who has been over here knows how conscientious she is about making gatherings run smoothly. Would you be willing to help out, too?