awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85
MarkDaSpark wrote:Still not enough room!

I forgot to mention that WineDavid wasn't around due to some "Super Bowl" thing. Like who could resist being around my legen (wait for it) dary awesomeness!

How about this?

mommadeb1

quality posts: 26 Private Messages mommadeb1

Sparky, reading about your weekend adventures and meeting up with fellow wooters, made me sad that it has been so long since I have been out that way.

mommadeb1

ready for this one?! Someone in the payroll department.....get ready... this is unreal....got an email they thought was from the School district superintendent.....asking for..... (seriously get ready) all the employees W-2's..... annnnnddd they sent it to the "superintendent"!!!!!!!!! Yup, they got scammed....now we have to wait to see which employees personal information was compromised!! yippie!!!

seriously, why would the superintendent want that information? wouldn't you think that a bit suspicious?

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:ready for this one?! Someone in the payroll department.....get ready... this is unreal....got an email they thought was from the School district superintendent.....asking for..... (seriously get ready) all the employees W-2's..... annnnnddd they sent it to the "superintendent"!!!!!!!!! Yup, they got scammed....now we have to wait to see which employees personal information was compromised!! yippie!!!

seriously, why would the superintendent want that information? wouldn't you think that a bit suspicious?

Ohh. crap

Good luck. This is a worst nightmare.

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Ohh. Fu...

Yup... can't wait to see if I was one who was "compromised"

InFrom

quality posts: 48 Private Messages InFrom
polarbear22 wrote:Ohh. Fu...

Ugh. Horrible.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 231 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
awl85 wrote:How about this?

Nope!

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:Sparky, reading about your weekend adventures and meeting up with fellow wooters, made me sad that it has been so long since I have been out that way.

At least your purple hair made it! Someone at the Wellington club pickup party had streaks of purple hair!

Hopefully this summer!

x20             
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman
tenuki wrote:Hmm, I don't remember the bonus level ps, is it any good? I know it's pedroncelli so probably good qpr anyway.

Needs ages and ages. I'm not touching mine for several years.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:Sunday had a Corison Library tasting, but before that ... off to Vincent Arroyo!

Great tasting there, and lots of fun with their dog, Rosie. They were out of their PS Port, but I got some more of their Late Harvest white.

Still time, so after stopping at Cal-Mart for sandwiches (and 6 bottles of wine on special), it was off to T-Vine. And their $1 shipping on 12 bottles ... grumble, grumble.

Great tasting room personnel, and of course she happened to mention they had just found a case of their 2012 Chiles PS. From a vineyard that no longer existed. Score!

Shipment arrives tomorrow from them.

Then on to Corison, where we ate our sandwiches and had a wonderful tasting and tour. And they had more of the 1999 Acapella PS Cathy had made. I left some.

And Tim picked up his club order early. Great people there as well.

Last stop was at Bell. Really great hostess there, and since someone had just picked up his last club shipment at Wellington, he decided to join their club!

Monday, was tasting at Concannon, buying their PS Choc Sauce, PS Port, LH Semillon, & some Capt. Joe's on special. Then a quick stop at Wente where they still had some PS Port.

Anyway you look at it, the Wootmobile was full of wine!

You should have taken orders from the non-Ron folk down here!

MarkDaSpark

What is up with regular Woot! lately? They've screwed up on 2 orders this year already!

First it was shipping me 3 sets of pink USB cables instead of the blue ones I ordered.

Second, I ordered 2 of the Rivo, and only one arrived!

2017 is not looking good!

x20             

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:You should have taken orders from the non-Ron folk down here!

Still wasn't enough room, due to the intransigence of Scion/Toyota on their Recall.

x20             

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
klezman wrote:You should have taken orders from the non-Ron folk down here!

Not possible. As it was, I was cocooned in the back seat with the threat of a wine avalanche if Sparky wasn't supremely cautious while making left turns.

A couple random comments:

- Before going to Little on Saturday morning, we actually drove past and made a quick stop at Wellington so that - before things got super hectic - I could wish Toby a belated Happy Birthday and ask a question. What ever that question was, I now have no idea. A burst of impromptu poetry from Toby on the effects a Gift (perhaps in the German, if not Germano sense) of whiskey had had on him drove it utterly from my mind.

- Kunde has a tasting fee you cannot buy your way out of. (Only joining their wine club for a year will do it.) I was gearing up to buy three or four bottles, but bought nothing.

- Take Sparky up to Napa and he buys wine *everywhere*. Even at the grocery stores.

- We stopped at T-Vine on a whim because the Girl from Germany had texted me a photo of an article in the LA Times that morning mentioning them. "Hi. There was this mention of you in the Los Angeles Times this morning, so we decided to drive up here to check you out."

- Oddly, the tasting at Corison felt anti-climactic. I had tried doing a tasting of the same wines a month before - during that storm - and was interrupted by Cathy closing the winery and sending everyone home before the roads closed. So this time it seemed to lack some drama.

- At Bell, we basically waltzed in without an appointment. I must remember to be better about that in the future. Would you believe me if I said I only joined their wine club because the girl was essentially giving me an illegal free tasting and I had to make an honest woman of her?

- At Concannon, I failed to get Sparky to buy the double magnum of 1998 Petite Sirah. I must be losing my touch.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.

awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85
mommadeb1 wrote:ready for this one?! Someone in the payroll department.....get ready... this is unreal....got an email they thought was from the School district superintendent.....asking for..... (seriously get ready) all the employees W-2's..... annnnnddd they sent it to the "superintendent"!!!!!!!!! Yup, they got scammed....now we have to wait to see which employees personal information was compromised!! yippie!!!

Whoa.

Cesare

quality posts: 2354 Private Messages Cesare

This is not a new scam. Typically targeting a company, they spoof an email to a low level employee in HR or payroll making it look like it's from a boss asking for W2 info. IRS alert

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 29 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
Cesare wrote:This is not a new scam. Typically targeting a company, they spoof an email to a low level employee in HR or payroll making it look like it's from a boss asking for W2 info. IRS alert

Not a new scam, but they are apparently targeting schools and other non-profits this year. I am HR at an independent school and have received numerous warnings from a variety of sources, organizations, etc this year.

That said, with or without warning, anyone who falls for it is clearly not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 29 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
zTimothyBz wrote:Not possible. As it was, I was cocooned in the back seat with the threat of a wine avalanche if Sparky wasn't supremely cautious while making left turns.

A couple random comments...

- Kunde has a tasting fee you cannot buy your way out of. (Only joining their wine club for a year will do it.) I was gearing up to buy three or four bottles, but bought nothing...

We visited Kunde on our trip to Sonoma last February along with some other wineries that WD was gracious enough to connect us with. He hooked us up with Marcia (Kunde) ahead of time. We were treated like family. Had a reserved seating on the porch, personal attendant, tasted anything/everything they had that we wanted, cave tour if we wanted, cheese plates gratis. We did buy bottles and joined the club, but that was because we wanted to, not had to.

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:At least your purple hair made it! Someone at the Wellington club pickup party had streaks of purple hair!

Hopefully this summer!

only streaks of purple?

rjquillin

quality posts: 286 Private Messages rjquillin
mommadeb1 wrote:only streaks of purple?

Oh! Did you recently dip your entire head in a fermenting vat and turn all purple, rather than just the highlights?

CT

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:Oh! Did you recently dip your entire head in a fermenting vat and turn all purple, rather than just the highlights?

not completely dipped... just a ton more highlights... or should I say purplelights?

klezman

zTimothyBz wrote:Not possible. As it was, I was cocooned in the back seat with the threat of a wine avalanche if Sparky wasn't supremely cautious while making left turns.

That sounds about right
But we have to give y'all a bit of a hard time regardless. Maybe you'll make it to the gathering on March 11? Would be great to see you and to introduce you to the kiddo!

rjquillin

klezman wrote:That sounds about right
But we have to give y'all a bit of a hard time regardless. Maybe you'll make it to the gathering on March 11? Would be great to see you and to introduce you to the kiddo!

It's back to the 11th?

CT

zTimothyBz

We'll see. I'm planning something for late April that might be my take on the Chicago #9 gathering.

One more thing from the trip: After we told Peter we couldn't fit the pallet of cases of wine for RJ into Sparky's car, I said Peter should visit SoCal once the deal was done.

"Okay, I'll check the gathering threads."

"No."

"Oh you guys aren't doing that any more?"

"No, I mean that all you need to do is post when you are coming, and a gathering will happen."

(Come and they will build it!)

I just thought I'd mention that in case anyone wants to try to entice SonomaBouliste to visit their neck of the woods.

MarkDaSpark

A couple random comments:

- Before going to Little on Saturday morning, we actually drove past and made a quick stop at Wellington so that - before things got super hectic - I could wish Toby a belated Happy Birthday and ask a question. What ever that question was, I now have no idea. A burst of impromptu poetry from Toby on the effects a Gift (perhaps in the German, if not Germano sense) of whiskey had had on him drove it utterly from my mind.

- Kunde has a tasting fee you cannot buy your way out of. (Only joining their wine club for a year will do it.) I was gearing up to buy three or four bottles, but bought nothing.

- Take Sparky up to Napa and he buys wine *everywhere*. Even at the grocery stores.

- We stopped at T-Vine on a whim because the Girl from Germany had texted me a photo of an article in the LA Times that morning mentioning them. "Hi. There was this mention of you in the Los Angeles Times this morning, so we decided to drive up here to check you out."

- Oddly, the tasting at Corison felt anti-climactic. I had tried doing a tasting of the same wines a month before - during that storm - and was interrupted by Cathy closing the winery and sending everyone home before the roads closed. So this time it seemed to lack some drama.

- At Bell, we basically waltzed in without an appointment. I must remember to be better about that in the future. Would you believe me if I said I only joined their wine club because the girl was essentially giving me an illegal free tasting and I had to make an honest woman of her?

- At Concannon, I failed to get Sparky to buy the double magnum of 1998 Petite Sirah. I must be losing my touch.

- Tim went in to ask about what food they would have during the club pickup. But evidently, Toby's extemporaneous poetry would make anyone forget any questions.

- Even in Amador! Last time there for the Wootception, they had Vino Noceto at a screaming deal! Cal-Mart always seems to have Prager PS Port (750ml even!) at a better price than the wine club!

- T-Vine was always a planned stop, if there was enough time before Corison. It was a bonus that Tim got the text!

- I think it was more that Tim was already missing the Wellington wine club, more than any other reason for joining Bell. Well, that and he really, really likes their Cabs.

- I told Tim I would buy it, he just had to cradle it in his lap all the way back. I can't imagine why he didn't want to do that!

x20             

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:only streaks of purple?

Just streaks. Only the teens look like parrots!

x20             

MarkDaSpark

Oh well. Sorry to miss it then, but on the plus side, I don't need to look for the Blue Jay.

x20             

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All the news for the week of Feb 5.

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

March
3/11: SoCal #46: All Things Roessler
TBD: NoVA/DC #37: Green

July
Mid-July:2017 RPM Tour Planning

Pending
TBD: NoVA/DC #??: Mystery Case Demystified
TBD: Atlanta #1: Looking for Wooters in the ATL!
TBD: Napa/Sonoma Weekend, Mourning the demise of DnD
TBD: NYC #21: Trying to kickstart the team Not to be confused with the NYC #21 below.
TBD: Seattle Area (Woodinville) Get Together
TBD: SoCal #3?: San Diego/Lakeside
TBD: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

x20             

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:What is up with regular Woot! lately? They've screwed up on 2 orders this year already!

First it was shipping me 3 sets of pink USB cables instead of the blue ones I ordered.

Second, I ordered 2 of the Rivo, and only one arrived!

2017 is not looking good!

Crossing my fingers, but they may be shipping the missing unit!

x20             

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Didn't Roessler move back to the 11th?

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Didn't Roessler move back to the 11th?

Yes, but that was the update from the weekend. The date was changed after!

x20             

zTimothyBz

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes, but that was the update from the weekend. The date was changed after!

cjsiege wrote:
Pending
TBD: SoCal #3?: San Diego/Lakeside

Wait. Are we still missing a SoCal gathering in the 30's?

mommadeb1

Wow... watching the weather... stay safe everyone!

rjquillin

zTimothyBz wrote:Wait. Are we still missing a SoCal gathering in the 30's?

An earlier poll didn't find much community interest to come south.
Klez and Molarchae however made an appearance and we pulled corks.

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bahwm

Finished copyediting the book tonight! Yeah! Yippee! Man, am I tired and so are my eyes! It's a really good book, though. However, I do not like such a quick turnaround--especially when grades are also due! Next up: trip to Quebec--leaving next week Wednesday evening. I am thinking that this trip should be a walk in the park--only 41-8th graders!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:An earlier poll didn't find much community interest to come south.

There was interest, but the host never committed to an actual date.

One of the few times we couldn't set a date.

Edit: Also, just before 2014 RPM Tour.

x20             

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee

DO NOT WAIT TO FIND OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO HERE RIGHT NOW, IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Fill out the information!!!!! I used to do this for a living in college, um, help with fraud, not commit it.

If you wait, you'll get screwed.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
bahwm wrote:Finished copyediting the book tonight! Yeah! Yippee! Man, am I tired and so are my eyes! It's a really good book, though. However, I do not like such a quick turnaround--especially when grades are also due! Next up: trip to Quebec--leaving next week Wednesday evening. I am thinking that this trip should be a walk in the park--only 41-8th graders!

Do you guys not sleep, or have you figured out how to put more hours into one day? Are you teleporting to Jupiter or something?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

klezman

zTimothyBz wrote:We'll see. I'm planning something for late April that might be my take on the Chicago #9 gathering.

One more thing from the trip: After we told Peter we couldn't fit the pallet of cases of wine for RJ into Sparky's car, I said Peter should visit SoCal once the deal was done.

"Okay, I'll check the gathering threads."

"No."

"Oh you guys aren't doing that any more?"

"No, I mean that all you need to do is post when you are coming, and a gathering will happen."

(Come and they will build it!)

I just thought I'd mention that in case anyone wants to try to entice SonomaBouliste to visit their neck of the woods.

Yup, that sounds about right!
Now I need to go see what that Chicago gathering was about...sounds intriguing.

klezman

rjquillin wrote:An earlier poll didn't find much community interest to come south.

Get working on it! Put out a few dates, have people commit, then do it!

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:DO NOT WAIT TO FIND OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO HERE RIGHT NOW, IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Fill out the information!!!!! I used to do this for a living in college, um, help with fraud, not commit it.

If you wait, you'll get screwed.

Thanks.. I will.. the school district is providing 24 month from... hmmm can't remember the name, they just sent out the email. I will be getting registered for that.
grrr... just what I need....