North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316

Who had the short ribs recipe? It's on my short list of things to do after making some chicken for salads this weekend.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
rjquillin wrote:At some point, there is just no more room for kitchen electrics.

Looking forward to those comparison results and pics.

Kind of exactly this, exactly this. And my house does not have extra rooms sadly. One kid moved out, but his room has become the playroom for the much younger siblings. I will get one, I can stash it in a cupboard. In fact, I may be getting one in a few days as a present as it shall be my birthday and I have said I wish to have one. Which means I'll get some stupid crap I don't want. I love my wife, but sometimes she'll take what I say I would like and get me something similiar, but in no way what I want. Like the deep sided 8 inch cast iron pan, I mean, it's cast iron and it's small so I like it, but, I specifically wanted the 10 inch low sided pan cause it's easy to get a spatula in there. What were we talking about?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Who had the short ribs recipe? It's on my short list of things to do after making some chicken for salads this weekend.

Also on my list, I've just never done it for some reason. Oh, yeah, that reason is Short Ribs cost about as much per pound as Porterhouse...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

klezman

quality posts: 178 Private Messages klezman
bhodilee wrote:Also on my list, I've just never done it for some reason. Oh, yeah, that reason is Short Ribs cost about as much per pound as Porterhouse...

Seriously...short ribs cost way too much for the discarded meat they are.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

bhodilee

klezman wrote:Seriously...short ribs cost way too much for the discarded meat they are.

Same thing happened with brisket

siwbm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages siwbm

So, I am at CES this week, and it turns out Anova was here too. They were selling their Wi-Fi version for $149.00. Good price, or not?

rjquillin

quality posts: 289 Private Messages rjquillin
siwbm wrote:So, I am at CES this week, and it turns out Anova was here too. They were selling their Wi-Fi version for $149.00. Good price, or not?

Pretty much on target with what others here have been paying; waiting on discounts, coupons and such.

CT

North316

My CT

North316

After searching for an hour or more, finally figured out how to post images from google drive.

I apologize, the pictures aren't the best (from my phone) and the lighting in our kitchen is terrible, but regardless, I think it is fairly easy to see which meat was cooked with which method. As you could guess, the sous vide version was far superior in taste, texture, moistness and pretty much everything else. My wife is certainly sold after just one meal.

My CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bhodilee wrote:Same thing happened with brisket

Chicken wings are the classic example, though. They used to throw those away, now they charge a fortune. It's all Teressa's fault.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin

North316 wrote:After searching for an hour or more, finally figured out how to post images from google drive.

I apologize, the pictures aren't the best (from my phone) and the lighting in our kitchen is terrible, but regardless, I think it is fairly easy to see which meat was cooked with which method. As you could guess, the sous vide version was far superior in taste, texture, moistness and pretty much everything else. My wife is certainly sold after just one meal.

what time/temp did you cook to?

CT

North316

rjquillin wrote:what time/temp did you cook to?

48 hr at 63C

The oven one, I believe was cooked at 300F for 2 hours.

My CT

klezman

quality posts: 178 Private Messages klezman
North316 wrote:48 hr at 63C

The oven one, I believe was cooked at 300F for 2 hours.

Looks delicious. Maybe I'll like corned beef if done that way!

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

North316

klezman wrote:Looks delicious. Maybe I'll like corned beef if done that way!

Made a very good Reuben for lunch today too. Going to make up some chicken for salads this week sometime today. Just have to figure out spices/marinades.

My CT

bhodilee

Chucked a chuck in the pot yesterday, will consume it tomorrow. Went with 55 on the temp, can't wait. I also put onion in the bag, not done that before so we'll see what happens there.

On another note, what vessel do people use? I've tried many things over the last year and have finally settled on this: Pasta pot. I like that it's oblong and fairly deep (though it could be a tad deeper). Otherwise I've used everything from a basic stock pot to Lexan to a freaking busboys tote I got at Sam's. The pot I like because I can use it for more than simply immersion circulation.

tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58

Did good Italian sausages the other day @ 150 for an hour and a half seared in cast iron skillet for color. Really juicy and the best texture ever. Excellent

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

siwbm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages siwbm

What kind of water do people use in their container? It would seem to me that hard water could cause problems.

rjquillin

siwbm wrote:What kind of water do people use in their container? It would seem to me that hard water could cause problems.

So far, just tap. Where the water allowed to boil, I'd think you may have deposit issues, but it's nowhere that hot.
Then again, my unit is low hours, so it still looks pristine.

CT

bhodilee

siwbm wrote:What kind of water do people use in their container? It would seem to me that hard water could cause problems.

After a two day cook I'll get deposits, they come off with a fingernail. Sometimes a little vinegar.

North316

I'm still in the infancy stage, but no problems yet. I've just been making sure to wipe the element down well as soon as it is cool enough to touch. I was worried about this too, as I have destroyed a garment steamer from deposit buildup, not so much to guy buy water specific for this use; I'll just be cautious.

My CT

North316

bhodilee wrote:
On another note, what vessel do people use? I've tried many things over the last year and have finally settled on this: Pasta pot

I've just been using a standard pot, but am considering something like THIS, with the lid which I can cut-out to fit the unit, possible a smaller one as well for smaller applications, just that I have dedicated, easy access pans.

These seem to be a popular choice based on my research. It says they are fine up to 160F, which means it would be good for most any applications.

My CT

bhodilee

North316 wrote:I've just been using a standard pot, but am considering something like THIS, with the lid which I can cut-out to fit the unit, possible a smaller one as well for smaller applications, just that I have dedicated, easy access pans.

These seem to be a popular choice based on my research. It says they are fine up to 160F, which means it would be good for most any applications.

I got a similiar one for Christmas, haven't used it, it's full of hot wheels actually. Storing a unitasker is going to be a pain, I can feel it.

North316

bhodilee wrote:I got a similiar one for Christmas, haven't used it, it's full of hot wheels actually. Storing a unitasker is going to be a pain, I can feel it.

It may be a unitasker, but I have a feeling it will be in use so often it won't matter

My CT

rjquillin

Any thoughts about this foodsaver over on home?

CT

North316

rjquillin wrote:Any thoughts about this foodsaver over on home?

Looks like complete overkill to me unless you plan on killing cows and packaging them all in one day.

Just get This one from Costco (or anywhere) and you will be set for anything you should ever need. Half the price, and if you keep an eye out it will be $30 off at some point in the near future (happens a couple times a year).

My CT

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:Any thoughts about this foodsaver over on home?

I'm considering a furb'd one

kaolis

quality posts: 67 Private Messages kaolis

Recently grabbed an Anova One. Haven't used it yet. Was planning on using ziplocs but sounds like maybe they aren't so good for longer immersion times. Is there such a thing as a compact foodsaver that is decent? We are in the getting rid of things mode, not acquiring things mode.

Edit: just saw the above post. Anyone know anything about the smaller ones? Price really isn't the issue, but footprint/size is.

North316

kaolis wrote:Recently grabbed an Anova One. Haven't used it yet. Was planning on using ziplocs but sounds like maybe they aren't so good for longer immersion times. Is there such a thing as a compact foodsaver that is decent? We are in the getting rid of things mode, not acquiring things mode.

Edit: just saw the above post. Anyone know anything about the smaller ones? Price really isn't the issue, but footprint/size is.

I believe, without looking, that the smaller ones are basically the same as the one I linked with two exceptions:

1) The larger one has build in "single" roll storage and cutter.
2) The larger one also has the vacuum hose for utilizing their variant on ziplocs and other attachments (canning, marinating container, winesaver, etc)

You would lose those functions, but I believe the basic functionality would still be there, just no bells and whistles.

Also, FYI, while it is bigger in size, the actual footprint of mine is nearly identical to the smaller ones.

We don't keep ours in the kitchen, but rather sitting on a storage rack (plugged in) in our second bedroom. Still easy access and always ready to go, but out of our way.

My CT

kaolis

North316 wrote:I believe, without looking, that the smaller ones are basically the same as the one I linked with two exceptions:

1) The larger one has build in "single" roll storage and cutter.
2) The larger one also has the vacuum hose for utilizing their variant on ziplocs and other attachments (canning, marinating container, winesaver, etc)

You would lose those functions, but I believe the basic functionality would still be there, just no bells and whistles.

Also, FYI, while it is bigger in size, the actual footprint of mine is nearly identical to the smaller ones.

We don't keep ours in the kitchen, but rather sitting on a storage rack (plugged in) in our second bedroom. Still easy access and always ready to go, but out of our way.

Thanks. Don't think I need the bells and whistles so maybe just the little guy. And heck, if I do save a few $$ they can go to the wine fund.

Re scaling: Thinking of using filtered/RO water from the kiosks at the grocery store. Refills are cheap. I have a water softener so maybe that's overkill.

North316

kaolis wrote:Thanks. Don't think I need the bells and whistles so maybe just the little guy. And heck, if I do save a few $$ they can go to the wine fund.

Re scaling: Thinking of using filtered/RO water from the kiosks at the grocery store. Refills are cheap. I have a water softener so maybe that's overkill.

Personally I think it is overkill. All parts that could have scaling are easily accessible, and therefore if you notice it, it is a very easy clean/fix. If you find yourself having to do that too often (though I would doubt that with a water softener) for your liking, you could always switch the water at that point. aka, you are not going to have deposits go unnoticed and cause harm to the unit.

My CT

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Personally I think it is overkill. All parts that could have scaling are easily accessible, and therefore if you notice it, it is a very easy clean/fix. If you find yourself having to do that too often (though I would doubt that with a water softener) for your liking, you could always switch the water at that point. aka, you are not going to have deposits go unnoticed and cause harm to the unit.

I'm not sure if the Anova One is as easy to rip apart as the Bluetooth/Wifi version. I dont' remember which one you have, though.

On the sealer side, the one that is 69.99 refurb'd is physically larger but it's vertical so takes up less room than the "smaller one" plus it has built in roll storage (not sure on a cutter though). It does come with a hose attachement for using their canisters. It's the one I'm likely leaning towards, though I did just get an email from them with some on sale "final price in cart" where the final price in the cart is not what the email claims At least it wasn't 20 minutes ago...

North316

bhodilee wrote:I'm not sure if the Anova One is as easy to rip apart as the Bluetooth/Wifi version. I dont' remember which one you have, though.

I have the precision bluetooth, but based on this Picture the One has a very similar "twist and remove" stainless steel cover.

My CT

kaolis

North316 wrote:I have the precision bluetooth, but based on this Picture the One has a very similar "twist and remove" stainless steel cover.

Yep the stainless cover just twists off of the One. The cover is in fact two pieces as you can just screw off the very bottom if you want exposing just the impeller blade.

Prepping for some pork chops tonight.

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:I'm considering a furb'd one

Five on that page.
Which one?

Ok, saw the $70 post.
What's the diff between the moist and dry?
You suck and seal; right?

CT

North316

rjquillin wrote:Five on that page.
Which one?

Ok, saw the $70 post.
What's the diff between the moist and dry?
You suck and seal; right?

I haven't quite figured that out yet honestly, but I assume the dry mode is more sensitive. Think something dry like cereal, takes all of the air out without crushing the cereal (since it is porous).

My CT

kaolis

What are wet/dry settings?

I found this: Wet/dry settings, found in many Food Saver models, allow you to adjust your sealer to optimize it for sealing either wet or dry food. Since liquid and semi-liquid food needs different sealing and vacuuming times and conditions than dry food, this ensures that each time you vacuum seal something, it’s getting the proper treatment.

Also found some reviews on Amazon that some people found the automatic (I guess some "detect" your food type??) wet/dry sealers not reliable and preferred just a totally manual one. Still looking around but that's what I've found so far. Also did see some have a crush free setting. Whether it's useful or not don't know.

kaolis

My first sous vide:

Two 8oz Niman Ranch bone in pork chops. So 1" or so I guess. Brined with 2tbs kosher salt and 1tbs sugar for about two hours. Don't know if that was long enough to make a difference. Kept prep simple. Dried them off, salt/pepper each side. Put both in one gallon ziploc bag with a splash or two of olive oil. Cooked at 140 for about 70 minutes. Personal preference might reduce time or temp a bit next time but these were a perfect medium pink and absolutely tender and delicious.

Was planning on pinot but went with a 2013 Sandler Connell syrah since I hadn't tried one yet.

bhodilee

kaolis wrote:My first sous vide:

Two 8oz Niman Ranch bone in pork chops. So 1" or so I guess. Brined with 2tbs kosher salt and 1tbs sugar for about two hours. Don't know if that was long enough to make a difference. Kept prep simple. Dried them off, salt/pepper each side. Put both in one gallon ziploc bag with a splash or two of olive oil. Cooked at 140 for about 70 minutes. Personal preference might reduce time or temp a bit next time but these were a perfect medium pink and absolutely tender and delicious.

Was planning on pinot but went with a 2013 Sandler Connell syrah since I hadn't tried one yet.

Medium Rare to Medium pork chops make the whole thing worthwhile! I didn't cook my roast the other day hot enough, it was good, but not as good as others I've done, so I'll be cooking future roasts at 135°F not 128° like this last time.

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:Medium Rare to Medium pork chops make the whole thing worthwhile! I didn't cook my roast the other day hot enough, it was good, but not as good as others I've done, so I'll be cooking future roasts at 135°F not 128° like this last time.

Had to convert those to make sense; 57.2 & 53.3.
I tend a bit lower, closer to 50, but Klez suggested a bit higher to render some fat.
Wondering, is that why you use a bit higher temp?
I generally like beef bleu, so the higher temps cause pause.

CT

kaolis

bhodilee wrote:Medium Rare to Medium pork chops make the whole thing worthwhile! I didn't cook my roast the other day hot enough, it was good, but not as good as others I've done, so I'll be cooking future roasts at 135°F not 128° like this last time.

What specific cut/roast did you use? Size? Thanks!