wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda

Friday night - willing to try something new. Any good brewery/brewpub would work. Though, have to say the wings and beef at the place last year were very good.

Sunday - probably have to leave by 3pm, but we're in for some brunch.

That's all assuming we leave on Sunday.

Neither of us get Monday off, but while I could probably take it off, her company is a pain on vacations, and might not let her take MLK off (since we're trying to save vaca-time for a possible Napa trip).

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22
bahwm wrote:Oops! When will you guys be heading back?

On Sunday, but not sure what time.

polarbear22

We are booked at Best Western. Not sure when I can leave on Friday. Have to get some meetings moved. We are flexible, so will go with the group consensus.

What time would brunch be? We have over a six hour drive to return on Sunday.

tiger7610

quality posts: 20 Private Messages tiger7610

I'm not going to be able to make anything on friday (i'm flying in the evening). What brunch place are we thinking of?

bahwm

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bahwm
polarbear22 wrote:We are booked at Best Western. Not sure when I can leave on Friday. Have to get some meetings moved. We are flexible, so will go with the group consensus.

What time would brunch be? We have over a six hour drive to return on Sunday.

11:30, 12-ish. Due to antiquated Blue Laws, can't sell or serve until noon on Sundays.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

tiger7610 wrote:I'm not going to be able to make anything on friday (i'm flying in the evening). What brunch place are we thinking of?

Toutant on 437 Ellicott Street

Linkie up!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610

I would be in for Brunch

bahwm

Linkies are up for Friday night options: Activity Links for Friday: Breweries, Restaurants, Canalside

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316

We are still maybes and it is still definitely on our radar, but it will definitely be a last minute decision. The wife is still waiting on syllabi and other information from her classes which start on the 11th.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cjsiege

quality posts: 15 Private Messages cjsiege

Sincere regrets that I will miss *yet another* Icewine Festival! There is drama on the homefront, so please push good thoughts my way.

Have a wonderful time!!!

bahwm

cjsiege wrote:Sincere regrets that I will miss *yet another* Icewine Festival! There is drama on the homefront, so please push good thoughts my way.

Have a wonderful time!!!

So sorry that you won't be able to join us, again! Hope things get better.

bahwm

North316 wrote:We are still maybes and it is still definitely on our radar, but it will definitely be a last minute decision. The wife is still waiting on syllabi and other information from her classes which start on the 11th.

If you could let us know by the 12th, at the latest, that would be perfect. That will allow Chef Mike to be sure he has the proper counts for ordering our food. Hope that you'll be able to make it this year! It should be awesome!

bahwm

bahwm wrote:11:30, 12-ish. Due to antiquated Blue Laws, can't sell or serve until noon on Sundays.

Reservations made for brunch at Toutant. I will need to confirm the number with them on Thursday or they will charge $15 for the missing person! If you back out, you will be paying ME!

wkdpanda

Hydraulic Hearth looks good. So does Big Ditch. Of course, we could hit Bar Bill early for dinner, and then go to one of these places, or Sportsman's.

Yeah, just throwing stuff against the wall. If we were to pick a single place, I'd start with Hydraulic.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316
bahwm wrote:If you could let us know by the 12th, at the latest, that would be perfect. That will allow Chef Mike to be sure he has the proper counts for ordering our food. Hope that you'll be able to make it this year! It should be awesome!

We're going to go ahead and bow out now. Just too much going on and too much on the schedule right now to try and figure out how to squeeze it in.

We are, however, in the early discussions of incorporating the Finger Lakes into a trip to Cooperstown this summer (Ken Griffey Jr. inauguration) so that would very likely include a stop in Buffalo.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

vwsmaltz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwsmaltz
wkdpanda wrote:Hydraulic Hearth looks good. So does Big Ditch. Of course, we could hit Bar Bill early for dinner, and then go to one of these places, or Sportsman's.

Yeah, just throwing stuff against the wall. If we were to pick a single place, I'd start with Hydraulic.

We're in favor of Hydraulic!

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

I'm in for Friday night. Big Ditch has the best local beer (in my opinion), and the food is very good. Also, a few other places nearby we can walk/drive to. Flying Bison (only open until 8pm) is near Hydraulic, and they're pretty good, heard about a secret beer you have to ask for, their first sour/lambic.

I'm in for the day in NOTL, with my +1 (still working out who that's going to be).

I'm out for Saturday dinner unfortunately. Have a surprise party for my best friend that I can't miss.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

justinrsanderson

What wineries will we be visiting?

Only one I really want to go to is Malivoire, otherwise I'm up for anything.

I stopped by while in Canada last week and Pilliterri's prices seem to have come down a lot, on top of good exchange rate. Their 2014 cabernet sauvignon ice wine was $35 CAD for 350ml. So about $25 USD.

They mentioned that this years harvest is going to be tough (awful). Mentioned they might not even make it a vintage year because of the warm weather late in to December, and a ton of rot.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

polarbear22

Ready with passports, told CC company we would be in Canada so we don't get declined. Anything else I should address since we are going to Canada? (The rest of the trip to Buffalo is just me fighting my poor memory.)

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:Ready with passports, told CC company we would be in Canada so we don't get declined. Anything else I should address since we are going to Canada? (The rest of the trip to Buffalo is just me fighting my poor memory.)

Warm clothes for SWMBO? Toothbrush. What bubbly will you be bringing?

bahwm

Let's start to coordinate bubbly selection for Saturday night. BTW, long range forecast is predicting temps in the low to mid 20s for Fri and Sat--a-brrr!

tiger7610

I'm gone for this upcoming week, so if I can pay someone for bubbly. I would love to hit Kacaba winery again. Also could I carpool on saturday? I also have my GPS that works in canada (i.e not a phone), and a map of ontario so we wont get lost like last year. Here is to hoping to not getting stopped at the border.

polarbear22

bahwm wrote:Warm clothes for SWMBO? Toothbrush. What bubbly will you be bringing?

First thoughts on bubbly -
Bonny Dunn Sparkling Shiraz (to be different)
2005 Cesarini Sforza Trento Aquila Reale Riserva Brut
Or I may be able to pair up with someone on an Iron Horse

The warm clothes and toothbrush are just normal "Don't Forget" items. I like to pretend I don't need reminders.

polarbear22

Do we need to order the passes ahead of time? Or can we purchase when we get to the first winery we stop at?

vwsmaltz

We would love to go to Malivoire again. Especially since the Cheese Guys will be there. We also want to go to Megalomaniac too, as their ice wine cocktails were amazing.

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:Do we need to order the passes ahead of time? Or can we purchase when we get to the first winery we stop at?

We should be able to get them at the first winery--after all, it is the first weekend!

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:Ready with passports, told CC company we would be in Canada so we don't get declined. Anything else I should address since we are going to Canada? (The rest of the trip to Buffalo is just me fighting my poor memory.)

Not specific to going to Canada, but it's something that I need to do: get winter wiper blades. The blades that are currently on my vehicle are just not doing the job that I expect/need during the winter. We found that out during some "weather" last week.

bahwm

Please continue to put out suggestions for places that you would like to visit--I'll take a better look on Saturday. Rancourt was really good. ddeuddeg and I stopped there on our own a few years ago. The winemaker is a rip!

vwsmaltz

bahwm wrote:Please continue to put out suggestions for places that you would like to visit--I'll take a better look on Saturday. Rancourt was really good. ddeuddeg and I stopped there on our own a few years ago. The winemaker is a rip!

Rancourt looks good and it's down the road from Pillitteri...

justinrsanderson

justinrsanderson wrote:I'm in for Friday night. Big Ditch has the best local beer (in my opinion), and the food is very good. Also, a few other places nearby we can walk/drive to. Flying Bison (only open until 8pm) is near Hydraulic, and they're pretty good, heard about a secret beer you have to ask for, their first sour/lambic.

I'm in for the day in NOTL, with my +1 (still working out who that's going to be).

I'm out for Saturday dinner unfortunately. Have a surprise party for my best friend that I can't miss.

Change in plans, party is changed to Friday night. I'll meet for Happy Hour if it's downtown still.

I am now in for all day on Saturday and dinner. Planning on Katy coming with for NoTL, but she'll have her own car in case of baby duties. Not sure if I'll have a plus one or not for dinner.

bahwm

When are you guys planning on arriving on Friday so that I can figure out logistics for Fri evening? Do you want to go to Bar Bill for wings & beef on weck. We'd have to be there by 4 or earlier to make this place work or else forget it on Fri night. There is music at Sportsmen's from 5:30 -8:30. I'm leaning towards dinner at Hydraulic around 8-ish or maybe 8:30 to allow for other stops.

We could also do brunch at Dick & Jenny's on Grand Island Sat AM.

polarbear22

bahwm wrote:When are you guys planning on arriving on Friday so that I can figure out logistics for Fri evening? Do you want to go to Bar Bill for wings & beef on weck. We'd have to be there by 4 or earlier to make this place work or else forget it on Fri night. There is music at Sportsmen's from 5:30 -8:30. I'm leaning towards dinner at Hydraulic around 8-ish or maybe 8:30 to allow for other stops.

We could also do brunch at Dick & Jrnny's on Grand Island Sat AM.

Hoping to get into Buffalo about 3-4. But with 6 hours of driving, we may be delayed. So we will catch up.

We are fine on being followers of the group. Basically all new to us, so we will enjoy whatever we do.

Let me know what you think is best time/place to get the wine you are wootlegging for me.

I love how the forecast changes daily. I thought New England forecasts changed a lot. Not as much as this weekend.

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:Hoping to get into Buffalo about 3-4. But with 6 hours of driving, we may be delayed. So we will catch up.

We are fine on being followers of the group. Basically all new to us, so we will enjoy whatever we do.

Let me know what you think is best time/place to get the wine you are wootlegging for me.

I love how the forecast changes daily. I thought New England forecasts changed a lot. Not as much as this weekend.

It's great fun right now: 5 minutes ago, the sun was shining and there was a tiny patch of blue sky, now, it's snowing pretty hard. Welcome to Lake Effect Snow. It's that fast. Put one of the radar maps in motion. Here's the news channel that we watch most frequently, with a link to the WIVB weather. ddeuddeg texted me this afternoon saying that he couldn't see across the street. 8 or so miles away we had no snow. Then, bam! We couldn't see out the windows. Welcome to winter in Buffalo!

As for what to wear this weekend for outerwear? Who knows? I would say come prepared for cold. Be sure to have hats and gloves, maybe a scarf. If there's interest, we could stop at Niagara Falls on Sat on the way to dinner. It's up to you guys. Dressing in layers is good.

Wine pick up? Our house Friday night when you stop over for cheesecake or Sunday before you leave--provided that it's not before the crack of dawn! We'll talk!

wkdpanda

We're going to try to get there by 5pm.

We're up for the local breweries - Maybe start at Flying Bison, before they close, and then move to the next?

Saturday morning - D & Jennies - could do that again - but if there is someplace new we haven't tried before, we'd be up for that.

Champaigne - have two to decide between.

2002 Bernard Remy Milllesime

or

2002 Charles Ellner Brut Seduction

Had the Bernard Remy, and its good, but opening a bottle of the Charles Ellner tomorrow night, and making the final decision.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

wkdpanda

Places to visit - Seems like we liked Malivore and Kacaba. Cheese guys are a plus.

Also, some of the places we went to the west last year were good, and not too crowded. Wish the festival had an interactive map online.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

bahwm

Still working on timing and schedule for Friday. Everybody has so many different arrivals, you'd think you're all coming in on different flights! PB might be arriving between 3 - 4. wkdpanda around 5ish. chip around 7ish. Virgil, not sure. But Lauren, his daughter, around 8ish.

Music starts at Sportsmen's at 5:30. We could get some wings and fish fry to share for some real Buffalo food. I can't remember if they have beef on weck there or not. It's a good gathering place. Depending, we could stop at Big Ditch or Flying Bison (a few blocks from Hydraulic) to share flights and then, head to Hydraulic Hearth for more of a real dinner. Then, to our place for dessert and icewine warm-up.

Dick & Jenny's is more convenient for Saturday breakfast fortification before the Icewine Festival. We'll think some more on that.

Saturday's proposed list, to be fleshed out later with a better order is as follows: Kacaba, Malivoire, Megalomaniac, Tawse, Sue-Ann Staff Estate Winery, Mike Weir, Pillitteri, and Rancourt. These wineries include a nice diversity of Icewines. I'll provide details tomorrow. Should I see if we can meet up with Vadim at Kacaba again?

tiger7610

It would be great if we could meet up with Vadim. He gave us an amazing tour, and I love the wine I picked up at the winery. Is tawse worth it? I know some of their reds are biodynamic, but I honestly cannot remember anything about the ice wine. Otherwise order looks great. I'm now scared of the snow and how my flight will look like on friday

bahwm wrote:Still working on timing and schedule for Friday. Everybody has so many different arrivals, you'd think you're all coming in on different flights! PB might be arriving between 3 - 4. wkdpanda around 5ish. chip around 7ish. Virgil, not sure. But Lauren, his daughter, around 8ish.

Music starts at Sportsmen's at 5:30. We could get some wings and fish fry to share for some real Buffalo food. I can't remember if they have beef on weck there or not. It's a good gathering place. Depending, we could stop at Big Ditch or Flying Bison (a few blocks from Hydraulic) to share flights and then, head to Hydraulic Hearth for more of a real dinner. Then, to our place for dessert and icewine warm-up.

Dick & Jenny's is more convenient for Saturday breakfast fortification before the Icewine Festival. We'll think some more on that.

Saturday's proposed list, to be fleshed out later with a better order is as follows: Kacaba, Malivoire, Megalomaniac, Tawse, Sue-Ann Staff Estate Winery, Mike Weir, Pillitteri, and Rancourt. These wineries include a nice diversity of Icewines. I'll provide details tomorrow. Should I see if we can meet up with Vadim at Kacaba again?

bahwm

tiger7610 wrote:It would be great if we could meet up with Vadim. He gave us an amazing tour, and I love the wine I picked up at the winery. Is tawse worth it? I know some of their reds are biodynamic, but I honestly cannot remember anything about the ice wine. Otherwise order looks great. I'm now scared of the snow and how my flight will look like on friday

Email sent to Vadim. We'll see once he responds. All of Tawse is BD. Their icewine was very good. Don't worry about snow on Friday. That day should be a piece of cake in Buffalo. I don't know about your connecting flight though. What time is your flight supposed to arrive in Buffalo?

You can split the cost of a bottle from our cellar with my friend, Penny.

bahwm

Reservations made for Hydraulic Hearth for 8 PMish. They are being uber-flexible--if we are running late, I just have to call to let them know. We will be at two tables--a 7 top & an 8 top. We're good. Next, to decide meet up time and exact location. PB & Mrs. PB may want to hang out for a bit before getting started. Not sure if wkdpanda will want to stop at our place or meet up someplace first. We'll be able to drop off bubbly at Bourbon & Butter Friday night, so have your bubbles handy to hand off. Easy access to drop off.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 68 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:

PM for you.
As for the weather forecasts, the local guys have been pretty much spot on all week with predicting the upcoming 24 hours. Long range, not quite as good, but better than average.
Didn't get the school closing I really wanted today, but I can't blame that on the meteorologists.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook