Winedavid39 wrote:Bravo!

Bravo indeed!!!!!!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
tercerowines wrote:Variability is certainly an interesting topic. Is it possible that there is bottle variation? There's always a possibility . . . BUT these wines are all screw capped, taking one part out of the equation; and they are all filtered, taking another out.

The temperature a wine is poured and served at is important - if served at really different temps - say 10 degrees or more - the wine will certainly express itself differently.

Yep, food served alongside the wine will have a great impact on perceiving the wine differently as well. As does time of day, ambient temperature of the room, lighting, and sooo many other factors . . .

Just saying . . .

Cheers!

Thanks for the response. It's hard for me to believe it was anything but his perception of the wine, combined with extraneous factors such as what you've mentioned - temperature, amount of air, etc. But I thought it was interesting....

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines
chipgreen wrote:Thanks for the response. It's hard for me to believe it was anything but his perception of the wine, combined with extraneous factors such as what you've mentioned - temperature, amount of air, etc. But I thought it was interesting....

It is quite interesting - and something that would all experience most likely if we had 3 or 4 bottles of the same wine, nearly any wine, over a few week or month period . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Wow, Great winemaker participation and great comments on the wine.... I don't "need" anymore wine .....but how can I not support a winemaker who actively participates here? Someone twist my arm....

tercerowines

mommadeb1 wrote:Wow, Great winemaker participation and great comments on the wine.... I don't "need" anymore wine .....but how can I not support a winemaker who actively participates here? Someone twist my arm....

I ALWAYS try to participate on this board - even when it's not my own wine :-) Time permitting, of course.

That's one of the things that drew me here originally - the give and take aspect of this board. I LOVE it, and dig having the opportunity to answer questions and provide whatever insight I can.

Tis the way that I roll!!!!

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot

I'm in for 2. I am "blakel" on CT who had a suspected flawed bottle of the 2009 Christie, but such is my faith in Larry and Tercero that I am re-upping anyway. Great wine, great value, great winemaker who is very engaged with his customers.

tercerowines

blakewoot wrote:I'm in for 2. I am "blakel" on CT who had a suspected flawed bottle of the 2009 Christie, but such is my faith in Larry and Tercero that I am re-upping anyway. Great wine, great value, great winemaker who is very engaged with his customers.

Blake,

Thanks for the kind words. Please email me your shipping info

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Hi Larry! Just wanted to mention the bottle labels are beautiful! Just like the wine!!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz

Been to Tercero twice in the past year and enjoy talking to Larry. Both times we let the wine tasting manager (she's great herself) that we were wooters and she phoned Larry who made his way to the tasting room to greet us. Now that is what I call awesome customer service! He is very down to earth and knowledgeable to say the least.

Larry: I am a BIG fan of your whites (Outlier, Grenache Blanc top my list) as well as your Mourvedre Rose. I went in on the Berserker mixed case and tried one of the reds (cannot recall which one) and remember being a bit disappointed. I rememmber the nose being somewhat muted and not much fruit. Care to comment on this?

Thanks!

"The older I get the better I was"

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
tercerowines wrote:The inspiration for the Cuvee Loco was to truly try to pay homage to the Larner Vineyard, the source for all of the grapes for that wine. It is a spectacular site and the grapes coming out of there are higher in acid than others in the area, leading to a vibrancy that I dig! The 09 is the second release of this wine, and future bottlings will include Mourvedre as well, since I started getting some of the tiny amount grown there in 2010. The wine was named by my kids . . .

The Cuvee Christie has been part of my arsenal of wines since my first vintage in 2006. It was named for my now ex-wife Christie and therefore this is the last vintage of this specific wine :-) All is fine, though - we remain great friends and she is the mother of my three wonderful kids . . . The name is being changed to Verbiage and the 2010 and 2011 versions have already been bottled. The concept of this wine is to put together a CdP style blend that showcases each specific vintage. I strive for it to be grenache dominated.

This particular bottling, the 2009, has about 10% Petite Sirah in it. This is the only vintage with any PS in it, and the reason that it's in there is two-fold - 1) since the wine was in older FR oak for as long as it was, I wanted to make sure it had enough structure, and PS certainly helps with that and 2) I do another wine called The Climb which is a Syrah/PS blend, and when I put the 09 together, it just didn't do it for me. I make a dozen wines each year but will not put something in bottle that is not 'distinct' from the others wines I bottle, so I just decided not to make that wine that year.

Hope that answers the questions for you :-)

Cheers!

Thanks for lengthy description of each wine. I'm a big fan of rhone wines and always am on the lookout for more producers making Grenache, Syrah and blends on the west coast. Thanks for this offer and I hope you continue to offer your vino here in the future. I'm sure your PS blend would do well here as well as your rose.

CT

tercerowines

slm9951 wrote:Hi Larry! Just wanted to mention the bottle labels are beautiful! Just like the wine!!

Thanks! It's a lot of fun coming up with concepts for the label. Both of these labels were developed by my nephew, Jimmy Giokaris, straight out of art school. He had never done labels before - I love them! The 09 Christis is a water color variation of the first label he designed for me; the 09 Loco was inspired by my then 11 year old daughter Davis, who wanted a 'negative' label versus the others that I had . . .'

You should check out the labels on my white wines by going to my website at www.tercerowines.com.

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Love the participation, love Larry's wines. Proud to make a Tercerro woot my #100!!!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Larry, in case you're not on email, I'll PM you the same question I had earlier.

Nifty on the closures. You also mentioned something about oak regime. How do you choose your oak? French vs American, new vs old, etc.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tercerowines

losthighwayz wrote:Been to Tercero twice in the past year and enjoy talking to Larry. Both times we let the wine tasting manager (she's great herself) that we were wooters and she phoned Larry who made his way to the tasting room to greet us. Now that is what I call awesome customer service! He is very down to earth and knowledgeable to say the least.

Larry: I am a BIG fan of your whites (Outlier, Grenache Blanc top my list) as well as your Mourvedre Rose. I went in on the Berserker mixed case and tried one of the reds (cannot recall which one) and remember being a bit disappointed. I rememmber the nose being somewhat muted and not much fruit. Care to comment on this?

Thanks!

First off, great seeing your post here, my friend! Always a pleasure to hang out with you, whether it's on this board or in person in my tasting room!

Second, thanks for the kind words about my wines, especially the whites . . . And if you think the ones I've produced in the past are good, wait until you try my 13's that I just bottled yesterday - including my new Roussanne (!!!) and my new white rhone blend that I'm calling Verbiage Blanc (!!!!!!).

As far as a bottle not showing much aromatically, I'd love to know which specific wine it was. Some of my wines are a bit 'shy' at opening and really need a good couple of hours to strut their stuff. My grenaches tend to be showy right off the bat, especially my Watch Hill. And my syrahs are fairly open from the get go, but not my 09 Thompson - a monster of a wine that is indeed much better on Day 2.

I'll look forward to hearing more info on your end and hopefully having a better potential explanation.

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

cortot20 wrote:Thanks for lengthy description of each wine. I'm a big fan of rhone wines and always am on the lookout for more producers making Grenache, Syrah and blends on the west coast. Thanks for this offer and I hope you continue to offer your vino here in the future. I'm sure your PS blend would do well here as well as your rose.

Thanks for the kind words! I love me some blends, but most of the wines I produce are 100% versions of those varieties - a couple of different grenaches, a couple of different syrahs, a couple of different mourvedres, and a petite sirah!!!!

And I'm sure you'll continue to see me participate here in the future :-)

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

cmaldoon wrote:Love the participation, love Larry's wines. Proud to make a Tercerro woot my #100!!!

And I'm proud that I'm your #100 (blushing).

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

klezman wrote:Larry, in case you're not on email, I'll PM you the same question I had earlier.

Nifty on the closures. You also mentioned something about oak regime. How do you choose your oak? French vs American, new vs old, etc.

I am not a fan of 'apparent' oak in wines, especially rhone varieties. I therefore use older oak on my wines, and pretty much all French ( I have one American barrel that is about 12 years old that I use each vintage on my Grenache Blanc because of 'tradition). I purchase older French oak barrels from other producers, and the 'newest' oak barrel I've used on my reds is 3 year old oak (used 2X usually), and the newest on my whites is about 6 years old.

I think that consumers have gotten so used to the aromas associated with newer oak barrels, that if this aroma profile was removed, they'd have no idea what they were smelling!

I prefer to let the fruit and what is developed during the slow oxidation process during aging take center stage.

To each their own - these are just my personal philosophies . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

klezman

tercerowines wrote:I am not a fan of 'apparent' oak in wines, especially rhone varieties. I therefore use older oak on my wines, and pretty much all French ( I have one American barrel that is about 12 years old that I use each vintage on my Grenache Blanc because of 'tradition). I purchase older French oak barrels from other producers, and the 'newest' oak barrel I've used on my reds is 3 year old oak (used 2X usually), and the newest on my whites is about 6 years old.

I think that consumers have gotten so used to the aromas associated with newer oak barrels, that if this aroma profile was removed, they'd have no idea what they were smelling!

I prefer to let the fruit and what is developed during the slow oxidation process during aging take center stage.

To each their own - these are just my personal philosophies . . .

Cheers!

We like winemakers here who have philosophies! Obviously I like yours and the results in the bottle. I've found over time that I do tend, on average, to prefer used oak to new and longer barrel time to shorter. Both things you tend to do. Also interesting that you age your whites in oak. Not a lot of people do that, and some that do use copious amounts of new oak.

All I can say for certain is that the proof is in the bottle. Or flask. Or whatever else it was you had stashed your barrel samples when we were there last.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tercerowines

klezman wrote:We like winemakers here who have philosophies! Obviously I like yours and the results in the bottle. I've found over time that I do tend, on average, to prefer used oak to new and longer barrel time to shorter. Both things you tend to do. Also interesting that you age your whites in oak. Not a lot of people do that, and some that do use copious amounts of new oak.

All I can say for certain is that the proof is in the bottle. Or flask. Or whatever else it was you had stashed your barrel samples when we were there last.

Please note that my Outlier, my dryish Gewurztraminer, is fermented and aged entirely in stainless steel; that my Mourvedre Rose is fermented in Stainless until fermentation is done, then transferred to older FR oak; and that I will be fermenting and aging the Albarino I'll be making for the first time this year in a combo of Stainless and oak as well.

Full disclosure is important to me :-)

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

gmcdonne16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmcdonne16

I would be in for 2, but there's no Woot shipping to Georgia. Any way we can fix that?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
redhead11 wrote:So excited to see Tercero Wines on Woot. Larry's wines are amazing. Cuvee Christie is by far one of my favorites. We are hoping to have Tercero Wines at our wedding!

Just seeing you mention the wedding brings a smile to my face. I'm sure I'm not alone.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tercerowines

ddeuddeg wrote:Just seeing you mention the wedding brings a smile to my face. I'm sure I'm not alone.

:-)

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Cross-posted from the What are you Drinking Tonight thread, because it seemed pertinent:

ddeuddeg wrote:2012 Y. Rousseau French Colombard, a w.w offer last spring. We had a sample bottle, and were not impressed at all, concluding it must have been flawed somehow. Fortunately, chipgreen split his order with us, and we had this bottle to pour with some grilled chicken seasoned with java-gourmet margarita rub. A match made in heaven. The wine is crisp and dry and full of delicious citrus flavors. So delighted for the opportunity to give it another chance. Now, if someone could just explain why the big difference in a wine bottled with a screw cap.

Inexplicably, apparently sometimes those things happen.
That said, once again, the recommendations of some valued friends and outstanding winemaker participation have defeated my SIWBM.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

klezman

Yes, I'm in too. It's just a question of how many of each wine I want. Decisions decisions...

rjquillin

quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:Yes, I'm in too. It's just a question of how many of each wine I want. Decisions decisions...

let's combine shipping. I'd take an order, or could do yours, as I've got other stuff in the cart now just waiting.

CT

tercerowines

Tick Tick Tick . . . .

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec
PetiteSirah wrote:One of the few things more enjoyable than Larry's wines is the man himself. He truly is one of the nicest, most down-to-earth people in this business, a true mensch.

I don't need more wine, but I do need to support the people who exemplify everything that's great about wine, and Larry is one of them. That I'm getting a sick deal on some great blends is just a bonus.

I wholeheartedly echo PetiteSirah's comments. If you remain "on the fence" at this late hour, the time to hesitate is through. I would suggest taking advantage of this excellent deal.
Larry, I am trying to resupply my dwindling supply of your 2013 Mourvedre Rose. Please check your email when you have a chance.

tercerowines

McMalbec wrote:I wholeheartedly echo PetiteSirah's comments. If you remain "on the fence" at this late hour, the time to hesitate is through. I would suggest taking advantage of this excellent deal.
Larry, I am trying to resupply my dwindling supply of your 2013 Mourvedre Rose. Please check your email when you have a chance.

Will do . . . when did you send it?!?!?!?

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

klezman

tercerowines wrote:Will do . . . when did you send it?!?!?!?

Cheers!

Time is tight! Did you see either my or redhead11's emails?

tercerowines

klezman wrote:Time is tight! Did you see either my or redhead11's emails?

Yep - will respond shortly!!! Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

klezman

tercerowines wrote:Yep - will respond shortly!!! Cheers!

So long as the answer is "yes" I will relax

tercerowines

klezman wrote:So long as the answer is "yes" I will relax

It is yes, my friend - and congrats are DEFINITELY in order!!!!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

klezman

tercerowines wrote:It is yes, my friend - and congrats are DEFINITELY in order!!!!

Awesome. Much obliged and thank you! Looking forward to your recommendations, too!

brhfl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brhfl

Oh, ding-dong-dang, forgot all about this one when I got home last night. The curse of a 15 hour day! Always appreciate seeing a winemaker this active in the discussion... gives me faith in the product. Bookmarked your site, some Tercero is on my to-hit list for sure!