ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rpm wrote:My initial thinking is to go to Lodi and Amador first, perhaps a Wed-Fri, lodging in Lodi (great place to stay). Then pick up on Monday in Sonoma/Napa.

For folks with cars, this is easy. For folks who are flying in and don't want to rent a car for a week, perhaps we could have a supplemental charge for a bus that would take from point A to point B over the weekend.

The logistics of the move are not simple. I also don't want to lose a week day to the movement, which is why I like the idea of moving over the weekend. That gives Tourists an opportunity to visit other wineries or sights, especially those from out of state.

It's all very tentative at this point, but will be thought and sorted through WELL in advance.

It seems to me (and I know I'm not alone) that once the "thought and sorted through" part has occurred would be the time to post an official thread, preferably by one who has a hand in the process, rather than an untimely post by some random wooter who abandoned the tour thread for the month preceding the tour. Just sayin'.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rpm

quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
ddeuddeg wrote:It seems to me (and I know I'm not alone) that once the "thought and sorted through" part has occurred would be the time to post an official thread, preferably by one who has a hand in the process, rather than an untimely post by some random wooter who abandoned the tour thread for the month preceding the tour. Just sayin'.

I suppose this is partly my fault for announcing what I have been thinking for the 2016 Tour - I was convinced it could work after a late April visit to Lodi, but it was far too late to make it work for this year's Tour - during the current Tour. At this point, it seems hard to just drop the thread and start over later.

I plan to spend time next year visiting the places we'll go and to start an actual Tour thread after that. At that time, we'll request substantial deposits - I'm thinking $500 per person - with a two week deadline to hold a place. After that, as places open up, those offered the next spots will have no more than a week to deposit.

So, if you're on the list, start thinking about having ready money NLT July 2015. If you're interested, get on the list.

Preference will go to Veterans (+1s of Veterans ok) for sure. Consent of the Instructor will be needed for any newbies.

This Tour will be strictly limited to 30 (+ rpm and SWMBO, who vows she will make this Tour).

I apologize in advance for the 30 limit - the size of the group this year was really at the outer edge of manageability. Besides, we usually end up with about that number no matter how many people are on the list early on. It's always worked out that way. I'd love to include everyone who wants to go, but that would mean doing the whole thing twice. Can't take that much time off my law practice.

I understand some who haven't been able make a prior Tour are disappointed I'm giving a preference to Veterans. I have mixed feeling about that, but my intention is that this be a Tour at least at the level of the 2012 Veteran Tour Cabernet Seminar, or the in-depth Napa visits at Corison, Beringer, and Bell. Extensive experience in tasting, varietals, and familiarity with the material covered in at least one prior Tour will be assumed.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316
ddeuddeg wrote:It seems to me (and I know I'm not alone) that once the "thought and sorted through" part has occurred would be the time to post an official thread, preferably by one who has a hand in the process, rather than an untimely post by some random wooter who abandoned the tour thread for the month preceding the tour. Just sayin'.

To be fair, people who didn't make the cut this time around, or couldn't participate should have an equal, if not better change for a future tour (though I am very disappointed with RPM's Veteran initiative for the next tour, hopefully I get an exception).

As for "the poster who abandoned the current thread a month early", I believe the blame should be squarely placed on the poster who made an incredibly ill-timed joke regarding a family member who almost passed away, and refused to apologize for it.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

klezman

quality posts: 178 Private Messages klezman

I think d-dog's point is that the only people who should be setting the order of people who get onto the Tour is somebody actually involved in its planning. And I agree.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

cortot20

quality posts: 297 Private Messages cortot20

The list does not matter. I could have walked onto the tour the day before with open spots. You can be last on the list and still have a good chance of making the cut because as soon as money is due people drop like flys.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
cortot20 wrote:The list does not matter. I could have walked onto the tour the day before with open spots. You can be last on the list and still have a good chance of making the cut because as soon as money is due people drop like flys.

Still, it stinks to be in the mid-60s for a 30-person tour with the list being started prematurely with no announcement, most of us current tourists completely unaware. Even if 50% drop I still won't make the cut!

Imagine if we were a traveling baseball team, out on the road. Somebody starts a signup sheet for next year's team and by the time the current team ends their road trip, they're already 2x past the cutoff # for next year's team on the signup sheet - is that fair?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 236 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
North316 wrote:To be fair, people who didn't make the cut this time around, or couldn't participate should have an equal, if not better change for a future tour (though I am very disappointed with RPM's Veteran initiative for the next tour, hopefully I get an exception).

As for "the poster who abandoned the current thread a month early", I believe the blame should be squarely placed on the poster who made an incredibly ill-timed joke regarding a family member who almost passed away, and refused to apologize for it.

You mean the one who already had a CLOSE family member (instead of a non-relative) ACTUALLY stay in a hospital for over a week from a fall? And who would have apologized if given a chance instead of someone disappearing completely from the threads? And someone who still hasn't gotten over from losing his father 2 years ago around the same time as the bad joke?

It's one thing to get upset over a bad joke, but instead of blaming the poster, someone decided to disappear from ALL the threads, abandoning the countdown HE started. And forcing someone else who was taking more responsibility to get the tour rolling to do even more work posting those countdowns and "puzzles".

We've gone over the line in the past, but there has been time to apologize for those lapses. But for someone to disappear completely? That's what upset "someone" even more.

If the party of the first part had simply said they were upset at the joke, the party of the second part would have apologized, but explained that it was in part relief that the first party's acquaintance (SWMBO's father) was safe at home, and not in the hospital like the second party's uncle. And that also it was a reflex around this time to deflect from the second party's loss of a parental unit around that time 2 years ago.

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:I think d-dog's point is that the only people who should be setting the order of people who get onto the Tour is somebody actually involved in its planning. And I agree.

Actually, I think his point was that only those involved in the planning should be the ones to start the Thread and list.

Not that they would be setting the order of the list.

And part of the reason people dropped so much was due to the delay in confirmation that the Tour was actually happening. With so much uncertainty (late May was the confirmation), people had already made other plans.

x20             
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rpm

klezman wrote:I think d-dog's point is that the only people who should be setting the order of people who get onto the Tour is somebody actually involved in its planning. And I agree.

Ultimately, we (rpm, rjq, etc.) will make any hard decisions (and undoubtedly enemies....). The fundamental problem is that at least at this point, a whole lot more people would like to go than there will be room for.

So, the fundamental complaint about the 'first come, first served' list now is that Tourists who would like to go hit it late. That is always the problem with first come, first served - someone will claim foul.

Perhaps we will decide to have a lottery. But a lottery has its own problems (how do we handle +1's when some Tourists have them and others don/t, for example).

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

North316

chipgreen wrote:Still, it stinks to be in the mid-60s for a 30-person tour with the list being started prematurely with no announcement, most of us current tourists completely unaware. Even if 50% drop I still won't make the cut!

Imagine if we were a traveling baseball team, out on the road. Somebody starts a signup sheet for next year's team and by the time the current team ends their road trip, they're already 2x past the cutoff # for next year's team on the signup sheet - is that fair?

Well lets all be honest here. The list of people interested is not going to change no matter when the list is started and by whom. With this much interest and that small of a group (30), some one is going to feel shafted one way or another. RPM already stated that the order of preference is going to be given Veterans, so I have a feeling that is going to bump me out regardless of where I stand on any list.

My CT

chipgreen

North316 wrote:Well lets all be honest here. The list of people interested is not going to change no matter when the list is started and by whom. With this much interest and that small of a group (30), some one is going to feel shafted one way or another. RPM already stated that the order of preference is going to be given Veterans, so I have a feeling that is going to bump me out regardless of where I stand on any list.

I wonder if the tour could be split into parts "A" and "B"? Since there is a weekend gap planned between the two portions of the tour. If some people were willing to go on just one portion, it would open it up to a larger number of people overall.

I realize that this would add to the logistics somewhat but it looks like there may be an early enough start to the planning for this one to not have that be a problem (and it wouldn't be like 2012 because there would be a 2 day gap instead of an overlap).

In 2016, a 5 day tour with a weekend gap in between and 2 days for travel = 9 days total. That is not something we are likely going to be able to do anyway, now that I think about it. I imagine many others will also realize that it's going to be difficult to commit to 9 days, so offering the tour as separate parts "A" and "B" might make sense, allowing those who can do 9 days to signup for both and people like me could choose one or the other.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1006 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

So hey guys, since this is 2 years away, a sign of interest is probably all you need for at least 6 months. When it comes down to committing and laying down the $$, the list will change substantially.

Keep throwing out ideas but please don't start battling so early. Plenty of time for that later.

On vacation until 6/3. I will not answer private messages.
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

North316

MarkDaSpark wrote:You mean the one who already had a CLOSE family member (instead of a non-relative) ACTUALLY stay in a hospital for over a week from a fall? And who would have apologized if given a chance instead of someone disappearing completely from the threads? And someone who still hasn't gotten over from losing his father 2 years ago around the same time as the bad joke?

It's one thing to get upset over a bad joke, but instead of blaming the poster, someone decided to disappear from ALL the threads, abandoning the countdown HE started. And forcing someone else who was taking more responsibility to get the tour rolling to do even more work posting those countdowns and "puzzles".

We've gone over the line in the past, but there has been time to apologize for those lapses. But for someone to disappear completely? That's what upset "someone" even more.

If the party of the first part had simply said they were upset at the joke, the party of the second part would have apologized, but explained that it was in part relief that the first party's acquaintance (SWMBO's father) was safe at home, and not in the hospital like the second party's uncle. And that also it was a reflex around this time to deflect from the second party's loss of a parental unit around that time 2 years ago.

Different folks, different strokes. As an non-biased observer, it was a pretty rude and inconsiderate comment, regardless of how you try to spin it.

There is no such thing as "reflex and deflection" on the internet, when things can be edited and deleted as necessary.

Either way, this is not the place for this discussion anyway, but as everyone knows, I never shy away from my opinion. I'd still happily have a drink with all of you anytime.

My CT

North316

ThunderThighs wrote:So hey guys, since this is 2 years away, a sign of interest is probably all you need for at least 6 months. When it comes down to committing and laying down the $$, the list will change substantially.

Keep throwing out ideas but please don't start battling so early. Plenty of time for that later.

If you can't stand the heat...

My CT

joelsisk

quality posts: 11 Private Messages joelsisk

Actually, I think a random lottery would be the best idea... to set the slots, I mean. Let random.org assign the slot to the list (using whatever "final" list is in place with RPM's preference) immediately prior to the "deposit clock" start, which should be AFTER all the major arrangments are set (dates, hotels, itinerary). Then proceed as "normal" with folks given 2 weeks to pay the deposit or fall to the end of the list. So long as this method is communicated well prior to implementation, there won't be a need for last minute pings and excuses.

chipgreen

North316 wrote:If you can't stand the heat...

but it's her kitchen! (sort of)

Teefant

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Teefant
chipgreen wrote:I wonder if the tour could be split into parts "A" and "B"? Since there is a weekend gap planned between the two portions of the tour. If some people were willing to go on just one portion, it would open it up to a larger number of people overall.

I realize that this would add to the logistics somewhat but it looks like there may be an early enough start to the planning for this one to not have that be a problem (and it wouldn't be like 2012 because there would be a 2 day gap instead of an overlap).

In 2016, a 5 day tour with a weekend gap in between and 2 days for travel = 9 days total. That is not something we are likely going to be able to do anyway, now that I think about it. I imagine many others will also realize that it's going to be difficult to commit to 9 days, so offering the tour as separate parts "A" and "B" might make sense, allowing those who can do 9 days to signup for both and people like me could choose one or the other.

Out of curiousity:

1. Why limit to 30? Has this been the case in the past? From what I have heard the tasting rooms get overwhelmed with large groups. Is this the case?
2. A and B idea is excellent. 9 days is a HUGE commitment for many, myself included. This is due to cost as well as kids at home.
3. I propose a grassroots tour in the Santa Ynez and/or Paso AVAs that is not so complicated in terms of planning. Only requirement would be dosit for hotels then we can figure out the rest withput feeling tied down. Just a thought

Edit: im losthighwayz btw

North316

joelsisk wrote:Actually, I think a random lottery would be the best idea... to set the slots, I mean. Let random.org assign the slot to the list (using whatever "final" list is in place with RPM's preference) immediately prior to the "deposit clock" start, which should be AFTER all the major arrangments are set (dates, hotels, itinerary). Then proceed as "normal" with folks given 2 weeks to pay the deposit or fall to the end of the list. So long as this method is communicated well prior to implementation, there won't be a need for last minute pings and excuses.

I do agree that lottery is probably going to be the way to go. The concern over +1 treatment is fair, but pretty easy to solve.

For 30 people, each person and their +1 gets one single entry in the lottery pool. Draw 15 names initially, assuming each person has a +1. Recalibrate count based on actual +1's on the names drawn, draw however many more names needed to get back to 30. Keep going until filled. Using this system, I think all +1 would have to significant others. +1 friends, etc would probably have their own slot.

My CT

North316

Teefant wrote:Out of curiousity:

1. Why limit to 30? Has this been the case in the past? From what I have heard the tasting rooms get overwhelmed with large groups. Is this the case?
2. A and B idea is excellent. 9 days is a HUGE commitment for many, myself included. This is due to cost as well as kids at home.
3. I propose a grassroots tour in the Santa Ynez and/or Paso AVAs that is not so complicated in terms of planning. Only requirement would be dosit for hotels then we can figure out the rest withput feeling tied down. Just a thought

From RPM above:

"I apologize in advance for the 30 limit - the size of the group this year (40) was really at the outer edge of manageability. Besides, we usually end up with about that number no matter how many people are on the list early on. It's always worked out that way. I'd love to include everyone who wants to go, but that would mean doing the whole thing twice. Can't take that much time off my law practice. "

My CT

North316

chipgreen wrote:I wonder if the tour could be split into parts "A" and "B"? Since there is a weekend gap planned between the two portions of the tour. If some people were willing to go on just one portion, it would open it up to a larger number of people overall.

I'm just guessing, but I think he wants the carry-over experience from one region to the other and that would preclude this from being split; though you are correct in the underlying idea (though not stated, I have Jedi powers like that) it is more feasible since the split would not be "overlapping" and thus unmanageable like 2012.

I do see how 9 days could be a problem for some, but I could do three weeks with enough advanced warning. If I get lucky enough to get in on this, and the cards fall right, I would probably turn it into a 14-16 day trip, extending it to the weekend before and the weekend after.

*Wanders back to corner to see how that works in the budget...who needs to buy a house... yeah that's it*

My CT

joelsisk

quality posts: 11 Private Messages joelsisk
North316 wrote:I do agree that lottery is probably going to be the way to go. The concern over +1 treatment is fair, but pretty easy to solve.

For 30 people, each person and their +1 gets one single entry in the lottery pool. Draw 15 names initially, assuming each person has a +1. Recalibrate count based on actual +1's on the names drawn, draw however many more names needed to get back to 30. Keep going until filled. Using this system, I think all +1 would have to significant others. +1 friends, etc would probably have their own slot.

I think it's easier to just set the list, then, to your point, open it up to the first 15 on the list for deposits. I'm not sure I'd penalize +1friends, but would not allow more than 2 per "slot". eg, all initial slots get a +1 option, fill with SO or friend or highest bidder . Regardless, if everyone has their name on the list, they would all get an equal opportunity.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1006 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

North316 wrote:If you can't stand the heat...

On vacation until 6/3. I will not answer private messages.
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ddeuddeg

North316 wrote:To be fair, people who didn't make the cut this time around, or couldn't participate should have an equal, if not better chance for a future tour.

As a matter of fact, bahwm and I were considering withdrawing a month or so before the tour, even after making the initial deposit, because at that point there were still people on the waiting list who had never been on the tour, and we didn't want them to be deprived of the opportunity if we could help it.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.

rjquillin

quality posts: 289 Private Messages rjquillin
Teefant wrote:Out of curiousity:

Despite advance notice to wineries, this continues to be ~the~ most unpredictable delay, even worse than traffic imo, for all venues.

While some are better than others, on day one winery one despite arriving 17 minutes early, we left eight minutes late.

Day one winery two; arrive 10 minutes early (made up some travel time) we left 39 minutes late and remained nearly an hour late the rest of day one.

Day two we were about 20 minutes behind after lunch, over 35 minutes after #3 and 50 minutes after #4.

Day three was better, never more than 20 minutes behind, but we started nearly 20 minutes early too...

Result: increased transportation costs for tourists and grumpy wineries when we mess with their scheduling. And we get warm/hot SB for our first pour.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 178 Private Messages klezman
rpm wrote:Ultimately, we (rpm, rjq, etc.) will make any hard decisions (and undoubtedly enemies....). The fundamental problem is that at least at this point, a whole lot more people would like to go than there will be room for.

So, the fundamental complaint about the 'first come, first served' list now is that Tourists who would like to go hit it late. That is always the problem with first come, first served - someone will claim foul.

Perhaps we will decide to have a lottery. But a lottery has its own problems (how do we handle +1's when some Tourists have them and others don/t, for example).

Yup, that's it in a nutshell! I trust you fine gentlemen (and and ladies who also join in) to be fair with it all.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

MarkDaSpark

Finally! Klezman & molarchae have finally announced to the world what we knew at Corison on the RPM Tour.

Yes, that's an Engagement Ring! Yes, it was another proposal at Corison.

Congrats!!

x20             

kkv123

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kkv123

RPM, PM for you.

sdfreedive

quality posts: 28 Private Messages sdfreedive

Oh man I'm behind the curve again. But I'd like to be added to the list with a +1 too.

sdilullo

quality posts: 40 Private Messages sdilullo

Whoah, this escalated quickly. That's what I get for not checking the forums much this fall.

Put me and the +1 down, por favor. There's a semi-decent chance we won't be able to attend (we could have kids by then! ) but might as well at least try and keep the option open.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 364
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

ddeuddeg

sdilullo wrote:Whoah, this escalated quickly. That's what I get for not checking the forums much this fall.

Put me and the +1 down, por favor. There's a semi-decent chance we won't be able to attend (we could have kids by then! ) but might as well at least try and keep the option open.

Try to have kids?

sdilullo

quality posts: 40 Private Messages sdilullo
ddeuddeg wrote:Try to have kids?

I'm gonna defer to SWMBO on that one.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 364
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

sosptuba

quality posts: 13 Private Messages sosptuba

I haven't participated in the past, but if it got to the point where there are two spots, myself and sosptuba +1 would be interested.

Thanks!

rpm

sosptuba wrote:I haven't participated in the past, but if it got to the point where there are two spots, myself and sosptuba +1 would be interested.

Thanks!

Does that mean you want to be added to the [wait] list?

What's the origin of your 'sosptuba' handle?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

sosptuba

quality posts: 13 Private Messages sosptuba
rpm wrote:Does that mean you want to be added to the [wait] list?

What's the origin of your 'sosptuba' handle?

Yes, Please add me and +1.

Sound of Sun Prairie, Tuba Player (competitive summer marching band program in Sun Prairie, WI) which I was well over a decade ago when I was still in high school.

rpm

sosptuba wrote:Yes, Please add me and +1.

Sound of Sun Prairie, Tuba Player (competitive summer marching band program in Sun Prairie, WI) which I was well over a decade ago when I was still in high school.

PM for you....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cmb825

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmb825

Please add me to the waitlist. First timer

mwfielder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwfielder

Its been awhile since I've hung out on the Wine.woot boards, but I always wished I had been on the rpm tours! I had some life changes, and now I'm ready! If there's room, count me in and a +1.

zero, count 'em, zero quality posts...

ianchudson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianchudson

It's time I come full circle. Haven't been around since the original (2008).

Me+3, I need to make this happen!

Edit: Me+3, I have a few friends in mind that would want to come as well.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

I've avoided posting on this thread, but since we have people putting in for +3's...

I'd also like to put in for +3 on the wait list.
That said, I understand that the tour should be for people who are part of this community.
I'm on the fence over the sentiment that veteran tourists should get priority.
On one hand, there is a sense of fairness to sharing the wealth.
On the other, a sense of loyalty to those who have supported the tour in the past. Also, for people whose posts I consistently find to be unpleasant, I have no expectation that they will be more palatable in real life.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.

rpm

zTimothyBz wrote:I've avoided posting on this thread, but since we have people putting in for +3's...

I'd also like to put in for +3 on the wait list.
That said, I understand that the tour should be for people who are part of this community.
I'm on the fence over the sentiment that veteran tourists should get priority.
On one hand, there is a sense of fairness to sharing the wealth.
On the other, a sense of loyalty to those who have supported the tour in the past. Also, for people whose posts I consistently find to be unpleasant, I have no expectation that they will be more palatable in real life.

It's hard to know what to do.... Size limits are really necessary if (i) the wineries are going to be reasonably able to give us something unique with meaningful attention, (ii) I am going to get a chance to spend time with each Tourist (I've tried on each Tour, but fear I have sometimes failed to get to know everyone....), and (iii) the organizers can keep it all in hand....

The only way do accommodate everyone would be for me to run three or four sections of 20-30 Tourists each, which would take a month or so. I would certainly hear from SWMBO and my partners if I tried to take a month off to do Tours.... Anyone want to see costs go up by $12k per section (about $400-600 per Tourist)? I didn't think so.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!