cummaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cummaster

everyone except the fishermen are getting raped by resellers, lobster is now just under 3 bucks a pound in boston. i refuse to be the fish at the end of this line.

Greshmahg wrote:If you're silly enough to pay $52 a pound for lobster tails, then there's really not much I can say to you. You're likely also the type who's crazy enough to pay Omaha Steak's outrageous prices on meat, completely failing to realize that you are paying through the nose for your own ignorance on how to acquire equal or superior ingredients for a fraction of the cost.

For one thing, there's a huge lobster surplus going on right now. If you pay more than $15 a pound for a whole live lobster, you're getting ripped off (15 is less than 52, btw). And with a live lobster, you're also getting claw meat, which is frankly better than tail meat. These are completely frozen and then mailed to you - lobster meat is very delicate, and freezing will damage the cell walls of the meat and give it an odd texture, to say nothing of a reduction in flavour. A 1 lb lobster (what these tails come from) is also not the ideal weight to pluck one from the sea, as 1.5-2 lbs is the sweet spot for fully developed flavour.

Lastly, have I mentioned that you're insane if you pay 52 dollars a pound for lobster tails? Christ, I can go to one of the nicest restaurants in this city and not pay 52 dollars a pound - and I live way the hell out in Seattle, about as far from Maine as you can get without leaving the continent.

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms
Greshmahg wrote:If you're silly enough to pay $52 a pound for lobster tails, then there's really not much I can say to you. You're likely also the type who's crazy enough to pay Omaha Steak's outrageous prices on meat, completely failing to realize that you are paying through the nose for your own ignorance on how to acquire equal or superior ingredients for a fraction of the cost.

For one thing, there's a huge lobster surplus going on right now. If you pay more than $15 a pound for a whole live lobster, you're getting ripped off (15 is less than 52, btw). And with a live lobster, you're also getting claw meat, which is frankly better than tail meat. These are completely frozen and then mailed to you - lobster meat is very delicate, and freezing will damage the cell walls of the meat and give it an odd texture, to say nothing of a reduction in flavour. A 1 lb lobster (what these tails come from) is also not the ideal weight to pluck one from the sea, as 1.5-2 lbs is the sweet spot for fully developed flavour.

Lastly, have I mentioned that you're insane if you pay 52 dollars a pound for lobster tails? Christ, I can go to one of the nicest restaurants in this city and not pay 52 dollars a pound - and I live way the hell out in Seattle, about as far from Maine as you can get without leaving the continent.

You are right on... except in order of culinary preference, the list is:

1) female roe

2) tomalley (liver)

3) knuckle meat

4) claw meat

5) congealed fat deposits on the underside of the carapace

6) body and leg meat

7) tail meat

This deal is a VERY BAD DEAL.

Pass on this one...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "