tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
MarkDaSpark wrote:So ... you still in the badge scanning business?

Yep...still playing with lasers and robots and glowing in the dark. You still in the fixing Madwine's computer business?

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Alright, I think I'm making a come back... been taking some time to drink down on my NY stock before heading back out to CA this summer (don't worry, I'll be back in NY next January!). But, I guess that means I have to stockpile my CA lot before I return, right???

So, hello again, and nice to meet those who are new!

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman

So shall we be seeing you in SoCal or NorCal?

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tommythecat78 wrote:Yep...still playing with lasers and robots and glowing in the dark. You still in the fixing Madwine's computer business?

She's been quiet lately ... plus she has free support from her teenage sons now.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
klezman wrote:Joel...PM

back atcha

Itwdswafo

klezman wrote:So shall we be seeing you in SoCal or NorCal?

Temporarily in SoCal for a week or two, and then a few months in St. Helena studying.

MarkDaSpark

Itwdswafo wrote:Temporarily in SoCal for a week or two, and then a few months in St. Helena studying.

I knew we should have had a gathering this weekend at RJ's!!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
Itwdswafo wrote:Temporarily in SoCal for a week or two, and then a few months in St. Helena studying.

SoCal where?
Klez was making noises about a casual visit here.

CT

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:I knew we should have had a gathering this weekend at RJ's!!!

Wait, then I'd have to clean house..!
But I could retire bottles. (a plus)

CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Let's try this in the right place.

Just contributed to my first kickstarter. Sous Vide machine times two. Anova brand.

To which Joel said:

joelsisk wrote:or they "take the money and run".

But seriously, kind of neat gizmo. Bet their real business model is making/selling the "sealed plastic bag" that you can only use once, but that can withstand immersion in 200 degree water.

They're a specialty supplier of circulators in the scientific community. The first model gets really good reviews.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
But seriously, kind of neat gizmo. Bet their real business model is making/selling the "sealed plastic bag" that you can only use once, but that can withstand immersion in 200 degree water.

Well the joke's on them! Ziplock has had that market cornered for decades!

joelsisk

mother wrote:Well the joke's on them! Ziplock has had that market cornered for decades!

I've had ziplocks melt in non-boiling water...

mother

joelsisk wrote:I've had ziplocks melt in non-boiling water...

Try purchasing name brand bags next time ;)

Edit: For what it's worth, you'll not use temps over 185F...

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
bhodilee wrote:Let's try this in the right place.

Just contributed to my first kickstarter. Sous Vide machine times two. Anova brand.

To which Joel said:

They're a specialty supplier of circulators in the scientific community. The first model gets really good reviews.

Great, bowtie, thanks a lot, now another gadget I'll be lusting after!

Have you-all tried any sous-vide cooking?

joelsisk

mother wrote:Try purchasing name brand bags next time ;)

I thought ziplock WAS a name brand, if not THE name brand.... isn't that why you mentioned it in the first place?

bhodilee

InFrom wrote:Great, bowtie, thanks a lot, now another gadget I'll be lusting after!

Nope, but mother is always mocking me on Facebook with delicious sous vide

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:I thought ziplock WAS a name brand, if not THE name brand.... isn't that why you mentioned it in the first place?

That they are. I guess I'll find out.

mother

joelsisk wrote:I thought ziplock WAS a name brand, if not THE name brand.... isn't that why you mentioned it in the first place?

I was trying to be cute instead of forward about you being mistaken (w/r/t Ziplocks melting with sub-boiling water).

From personal experience they do fine with the temperatures of cooking "faux-vide".

From Google I can tell you that the melting point of the HDPE that they are made from has a melting point in the 250-260F range. ;)

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
InFrom wrote:Great, bowtie, thanks a lot, now another gadget I'll be lusting after!

If you experiment with your crock pot you can probably find a way to maintain a water bath at a fairly constant low (130ish) temperature. Set on warm or low, crack the lid, etc and achieve similar results.

mother

pseudogourmet98 wrote:If you experiment with your crock pot you can probably find a way to maintain a water bath at a fairly constant low (130ish) temperature. Set on warm or low, crack the lid, etc and achieve similar results.

I really doubt any are set up to sit below 140F, mine unfortunately levels off around 205F on warm :/

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
mother wrote:I really doubt any are set up to sit below 140F, mine unfortunately levels off around 205F on warm :/

Ooh, a fun science experiment for a rainy day!

rjquillin

mother wrote:Try purchasing name brand bags next time ;)

I'm not a packaging I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorant, worrying about every little thing that may leach out, however; cold storage is one thing, hot is something else. I do avoid Saran wrap when reheating.
How concerned should we be about what the bags are made of and if they specifically are approved for hot food or not?

CT

mother

HDPE is generally safe*- its vinyls that have the plasticizers in them which everyone is so worried about.

I do however have a Foodsaver, and I use that for stuff that is going to cook for a really long time, and I really mainly cook proteins which means I'm in the 122-140 range.

I primarily use ziplocks when I buy the Duggar-pack of chicken breasts when they go on sale for <$3/lb- I just lightly salt and pepper them and then seal them in baggies and cook them for like 75 minutes at 140.

Makes a whole heap of Generic Tender Juicy White Protein(tm) which can then be seared hard for a few seconds with BBQ sauce, or italian type seasoning, or sliced and put on a salad, or into a nice homemade alfredo sauce at the last second, or whatever the crap you want when you don't have the time to cook all proper like.

*From what I understand, as a scientifically literate lay person.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

What an eventful week it has been. I lost my 18-year-old kitty cat friend, who I was half convinced was going to outlive me. The night she died, it started raining and didn't stop for 2 days (in the desert). Now tonight, an epic dust storm despite the fact that everything is still soggy from the rain. My Miss Kitty always did like to make a dramatic exit.

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman

Well, send us the info and we'll make sure a gathering happens in your honour!

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Well, send us the info and we'll make sure a gathering happens in your honour!

Or at least dinner! There's a nice restaurant with no corkage by me here in Long Beach.

Itwdswafo

MarkDaSpark wrote:Or at least dinner! There's a nice restaurant with no corkage by me here in Long Beach.

I like the sound of this.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Hello my friends! Just thought I would pipe up and let you know I'm still alive and lurking and thinking about you all. Just not much to say to contribute lately, I guess. Wine moratorium works better when I avoid the site altogether

I hear rumors of java appearing in New York over July 4th weekend... Will have to coordinate something to get together. Can't make it out to Denver with everything we have going on this year... I know, that excuse is wearing thin, but we are busy. Too many places to go and people to visit.

And what's this about tommy going to Buffalo? Something might be arranged for that to have us meet you up there instead... Speaking of which, d&b, sending you a pm shortly.

Love and kisses.

Kudos to those who catch the reference.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

If you do plan a trip to buffalo let me know, and I will try to make it as well

cheron98 wrote:Hello my friends! Just thought I would pipe up and let you know I'm still alive and lurking and thinking about you all. Just not much to say to contribute lately, I guess. Wine moratorium works better when I avoid the site altogether

I hear rumors of java appearing in New York over July 4th weekend... Will have to coordinate something to get together. Can't make it out to Denver with everything we have going on this year... I know, that excuse is wearing thin, but we are busy. Too many places to go and people to visit.

And what's this about tommy going to Buffalo? Something might be arranged for that to have us meet you up there instead... Speaking of which, d&b, sending you a pm shortly.

Love and kisses.

Kudos to those who catch the reference.

joelsisk

joelsisk wrote:hmmm. had a missed fedex door tag when I got home. Had to double check the case of IronHorse I bought last week... nope, that is still just info received. Only other wine ordered in the past couple months was during the wootoff. No other emails or notifications. Checked the tag - standard overnight from Sonoma/Petaluma, and only 3 lbs... random single bottle of wine will be held and picked up tomorrow.

Funny, the actual attempted delivery time was when I was hunkered down in a stairwell with tornadoes less than 7 miles away.

So... a 2008 Merlot/Cab S (80/20%). Supposedly old world style. I have some chicken cutlets I was planning to use for dinner. Any suggestions on how to prepare the chicken? (thought I'd shake things up by asking for food suggestions to go with wine that has never been tasted)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
joelsisk wrote:So... a 2008 Merlot/Cab S (80/20%). Supposedly old world style. I have some chicken cutlets I was planning to use for dinner. Any suggestions on how to prepare the chicken? (thought I'd shake things up by asking for food suggestions to go with wine that has never been tasted)

Maybe some sort of red wine reduction or mushroom sauce over the chicken?

Or, just make the chicken how you want it and drink the wine anyway.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

Let's revisit SOLAR FREAKING ROADWAYS!

I know, I know, rain on Bowtie's parade, but it still gives me a tech woody.

EDIT: It helps if bowtie is tech savvy enough to link correctly...

Editier: There's also a much more boring video.

And a numbers page.

I don't know why I'm as giddy about this as I am, but I think it's awesome. What if we just did the shoulders as solar and the roads stayed concrete or asphalt?

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
chemvictim wrote:What an eventful week it has been. I lost my 18-year-old kitty cat friend, who I was half convinced was going to outlive me. The night she died, it started raining and didn't stop for 2 days (in the desert). Now tonight, an epic dust storm despite the fact that everything is still soggy from the rain. My Miss Kitty always did like to make a dramatic exit.

I'm sorry for your loss of Miss Kitty.

FWIW, I've had well over a dozen cats throughout my life and only one of them made it to 17, let alone 18. That is a ripe old age, you must have taken very good care of her!

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
bhodilee wrote:Just contributed to my first kickstarter. Sous Vide machine times two. Anova brand.

To which Joel said:

I have the Anova V1. It works great. The Kickstarter campaign for the new one surprised me, as Anova is already a well-established scientific circulator manufacturer. In any case, there are arguments to be made that the V1 might be a better choice for some folks than the V2. In their attempt to both add features (bluetooth/smart phone interface) AND lower costs compared to V1, it looks like they cut back on the capabilities of the core components (heating element & circulator). The V1 is rated to handle baths 6 liters larger than the V2, and the circulator has a higher gpm rating. So the V1 + Doug Baldwin's book might be a better choice if you're cooking for larger groups.

Contrary to what others have said, a crock-pot will not get you good results unless you plug it into a good PID controller like the Dorkfood DSV.

I had (and used) this with a rice cooker and a crock pot for a while until I got the Anova. The problem with such solutions is that they don't circulate the water automatically, so it's possible (depending on how crowded the bath is with food) that it will develop hot/cold spots.

rjquillin

moondigger wrote: Contrary to what others have said, a crock-pot will not get you good results unless you plug it into a good PID controller like the Dorkfood DSV.

Gotta luv this, if for the name alone.
Mine would not look so polished, more like the Ar rig.
Not at all swmbo friendly.

CT

mother

bhodilee wrote:
And a numbers page.

When I see a 'Numbers Page' as asinine as that one it makes me really question the caliber of people working on this.

Want my support? Fine, how much for my driveway - all I care about is not shoveling.

What do you want to bet that each panel costs about as much as a car?

bhodilee

mother wrote:When I see a 'Numbers Page' as asinine as that one it makes me really question the caliber of people working on this.

Want my support? Fine, how much for my driveway - all I care about is not shoveling.

What do you want to bet that each panel costs about as much as a car?

I think I read somewhere that it is currently thrice the price of asphalt and they're working on bringing it down to roughly the same price.

I agree that the numbers page isn't great, but I took it more as a means to make you think as opposed to "hard" numbers. I would love to have these on the sidewalk and driveways.

bhodilee

moondigger wrote:I have the Anova V1. It works great. The Kickstarter campaign for the new one surprised me, as Anova is already a well-established scientific circulator manufacturer. In any case, there are arguments to be made that the V1 might be a better choice for some folks than the V2. In their attempt to both add features (bluetooth/smart phone interface) AND lower costs compared to V1, it looks like they cut back on the capabilities of the core components (heating element & circulator). The V1 is rated to handle baths 6 liters larger than the V2, and the circulator has a higher gpm rating. So the V1 + Doug Baldwin's book might be a better choice if you're cooking for larger groups.

Contrary to what others have said, a crock-pot will not get you good results unless you plug it into a good PID controller like the Dorkfood DSV.

I had (and used) this with a rice cooker and a crock pot for a while until I got the Anova. The problem with such solutions is that they don't circulate the water automatically, so it's possible (depending on how crowded the bath is with food) that it will develop hot/cold spots.

Serious Eats discusses this one versus the old one and concurs that the older one is likely better for cooking large amounts. My family of five is likely not impacted by this though.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
chipgreen wrote:I'm sorry for your loss of Miss Kitty.

FWIW, I've had well over a dozen cats throughout my life and only one of them made it to 17, let alone 18. That is a ripe old age, you must have taken very good care of her!

Thanks, Chip. I think her longevity was due more to stubbornness than anything else.

mother

chemvictim wrote:Thanks, Chip. I think her longevity was due more to stubbornness than anything else.

My condolences as well. I have a similarly willful kitty, currently aged 20 (knock on wood).