rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin
InFrom wrote:Thanks for the comments. It sounds like the Ooma isn't a bad idea for her. Though it doesn't sound like it will work for her three old, wall-mounted POTS phones? She has a decent digital phone as well, but there's something comforting about a sturdy, old kitchen wall phone. (There's also one in the bathroom that's good for emergencies, and has no problem dealing with humidity.) I know she'd hate to see them go.

I need to get a handle on the power back-up business. A solar trickle is a non-starter.

I fear my lack of tech knowledge here is impeding my decision-making...

Leave all the existing phones as is where is.

The output of the Ooma box, I have the old one, not the newer style as recently seen on woot, is compatible with "pots" instruments. Just find an unused jack or wire the Ooma output to the existing IW and you're done. The new ones work the same way. Our Ooma output feeds the CO input of a KSU as well as a wireless base station.

[edit]
IW: internal wiring, the wiring on your side of the inpo or demark block outside your house

KSU; key service unit, what multi-line old office phones connect to. The ones that had that large 50-pin connector.

CO: central office, the line that comes to you from the 'phone company'

CT

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
North316 wrote:If Bowtie can figure it out....

Ha! I'd love to say you have a good point. But I have to give credit where it's due, and he's due some. Here, bowtie, have some credit! (How's that for turnabout?)

InFrom

rjquillin wrote:Leave all the existing phones as is where is.

The output of the Ooma box, I have the old one, not the newer style as recently seen on woot, is compatible with "pots" instruments. Just find an unused jack or wire the Ooma output to the existing IW and you're done. The new ones work the same way. Our Ooma output feeds the CO input of a KSU as well as a wireless base station.

Kansas State University? (Don't worry, I'm skilled in the use of Wikipedia, I'll figure that one out. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the "u" stands for "unit".)

That's good to know, about using the old phones, thanks!

Edit: OK, I got the handle on this phone lingo.

• Cabinet, KSU (key service unit) or System
This refers to the ACTUAL phone system itself.

• CO Line
A CO line refers to an incoming line provided to you by your local phone company.

Oh, and for anyone reading along who's approximately as clueless as I am, "IW" = inside wiring.

rjquillin

InFrom wrote:Kansas State University? (Don't worry, I'm skilled in the use of Wikipedia, I'll figure that one out. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the "u" stands for "unit".)

That's good to know, about using the old phones, thanks!

edited the OP to add that additional info.

CT

InFrom

rjquillin wrote:edited the OP to add that additional info.

I like the way you explain it better than what I found on that site. Much clearer.

rjquillin

InFrom wrote:I like the way you explain it better than what I found on that site. Much clearer.

Occasionally I manage to do that, mostly I'm just a trouble maker.

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Looking for some advice on wine fridges in the "Coolers" thread for my friend. Really, for my friend.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I get home to a missed delivery fedex tag. This confused me since I'm pretty sure I didnt get a shipping notification on my orange crush wine, but apparently it just decided to arrive. Now to go re-route it to the fedex store

InFrom

rjquillin wrote:Occasionally I manage to do that, mostly I'm just a trouble maker.

So it is written.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
InFrom wrote:Ha! I'd love to say you have a good point. But I have to give credit where it's due, and he's due some. Here, bowtie, have some credit! (How's that for turnabout?)

What's the interest rate?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

InFrom

bhodilee wrote:What's the interest rate?

How's your credit rating?

rjquillin

polarbear22 wrote:Looking for some advice on wine fridges in the "Coolers" thread for my friend. Really, for my friend.

I've got a Danby ~170 bottle unit very similar to this I got a few years ago from a local dealer as a customer return.
So far the unit works well and is quiet.
What it doesn't accommodate well on the sliding shelves are the slightly larger diameter bottles.
You ~can~ fit them in, but the packing density will be substantially lower. And they don't do well when loaded as the outside bottles; they hit the sliding drawer mechanism. Also, depending on just how much larger they are, you'll find them scraping as they drag on the above shelf. I've now got quite a few bottles with labels that are damaged.

Take some fat bottles with you as you shop to make sure you'll not be disappointed later.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:I've got a Danby ~170 bottle unit very similar to this I got a few years ago from a local dealer as a customer return.
So far the unit works well and is quiet.
What it doesn't accommodate well on the sliding shelves are the slightly larger diameter bottles.
You ~can~ fit them in, but the packing density will be substantially lower. And they don't do well when loaded as the outside bottles; they hit the sliding drawer mechanism. Also, depending on just how much larger they are, you'll find them scraping as they drag on the above shelf. I've now got quite a few bottles with labels that are damaged.

Take some fat bottles with you as you shop to make sure you'll not be disappointed later.

My danby has this issue as well. Fatter bottles do well on the bottom or top shelves which provide more vertical clearance. For the OCD organizer in me who likes to group syrahs with syrahs etc....... It bothers me somewhere deep down inside.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Winery in the thread

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk

so, random question. Due to Michelle losing a bracelet and insurance telling us what it was now worth (3 years after purchase) we had everything (re)appraised. A necklace that I bought roughly 7 years ago just appraised at about 10 times what I paid. Yes, by a certified gemologist and NAJA.

Anyone know anything about selling very high end jewelry? direct sales v consignment v auctions?

I'm certainly not in a rush to sell, but I also don't necessarily want to pay insurance and storage for years.

cortot20

ThunderThighs wrote:Winery in the thread

Yes and they suspiciously ignored my question.

CT

cortot20

joelsisk wrote:so, random question. Due to Michelle losing a bracelet and insurance telling us what it was now worth (3 years after purchase) we had everything (re)appraised. A necklace that I bought roughly 7 years ago just appraised at about 10 times what I paid. Yes, by a certified gemologist and NAJA.

Anyone know anything about selling very high end jewelry? direct sales v consignment v auctions?

I'm certainly not in a rush to sell, but I also don't necessarily want to pay insurance and storage for years.

Mail it to me. I'll take care of it for you.

CT

joelsisk

cortot20 wrote:Mail it to me. I'll take care of it for you.

I'd be totally happy to sell it to you!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
joelsisk wrote:I'd be totally happy to sell it to you!

I'll take it for cost.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

aggghhhhhh. the end of the school year is fast approaching.. and I am totally overwhelmed!! add to all the end of the year stuff... we have our Relay for Life event in 10 days..... just not enough time ......
end of random ranting....

oh yeah and today I have a migraine.....

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
mommadeb1 wrote:aggghhhhhh. the end of the school year is fast approaching.. and I am totally overwhelmed!! add to all the end of the year stuff... we have our Relay for Life event in 10 days..... just not enough time ......
end of random ranting....

oh yeah and today I have a migraine.....

Sorry about your migraine. When is your last day? ddeuddeg is totally finished the 5th of June. Me, the 27th of June!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:oh yeah and today I have a migraine.....

They do make some meds that help prevent those.
Just sayin'

CT

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:They do make some meds that help prevent those.
Just sayin'

believe me, I have been trying many different types.... still trying to find the right combination......unfortunately, the side effects of some are worse than the migraine ... or they cause more headaches....

mommadeb1

anyone have a fun sized snickers bar?

I need the height, width and length. asap please....

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:believe me, I have been trying many different types.... still trying to find the right combination......unfortunately, the side effects of some are worse than the migraine ... or they cause more headaches....

PM atcha.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
mommadeb1 wrote:believe me, I have been trying many different types.... still trying to find the right combination......unfortunately, the side effects of some are worse than the migraine ... or they cause more headaches....

I agree - the only migraine meds I ever took caused my chest and throat to tighten up so bad that I threw the rest of the pills away. Those were for treating an existing migraine, though. The one thing I've heard about for preventing them is Botox treatment but based on the criteria for its use, the number of "headache days" I have falls short of qualifying. I will stick with Excedrin. It works better on headaches than any other OTC pain relievers I've tried.

joelsisk

North316 wrote:I'll take it for cost.

Is there any scenario where what you pay ISN'T your cost?

North316

joelsisk wrote:Is there any scenario where what you pay ISN'T your cost?

Theft

My CT

ThunderThighs

Staff

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarkyyyyyyyyyyyyy! PM.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bhodilee

InFrom wrote:How's your credit rating?

Pretty dang high!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

There's some kind of Magnetic therapy (FDA approved even) that is supposed to be like a miracle for migraines or something. They did a story about it on the local news, but in regards to depression.

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Theft

yes, but with theft, you're not paying. Unless you believe in Karma and/or Hell

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:Is there any scenario where what you pay ISN'T your cost?

Borsheims in Omaha will happily buy it off you.

I wonder what my Armenian Gangster gold necklace is worth now...

joelsisk

bhodilee wrote:Borsheims in Omaha will happily buy it off you.

I wonder what my Armenian Gangster gold necklace is worth now...

PM for you

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarkyyyyyyyyyyyyy! PM.

Responded.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Responded.

Replied.

rjquillin

ThunderThighs wrote:Replied.

Get a room you two!

CT

North316

rjquillin wrote:Get a room you two!

Or Cortot's lawn.

My CT

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:PM for you

and one for you.

ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:Get a room you two!

WE DID! That's why we're talking in PM!

Sheesh. You guys are never happy!