polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

And yet another reason to make the tour this year.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Best wishes to you, Mr. Peter Wellington, and thank you for all of your contributions to the site. In addition to all of your knowledge shared here on the forums, the mystery bottle challenge stands out as something only Wellington and WineDavid could have managed. I hope that my wife and I can make it up to Wellington before your role has been completely passed on. But even if we don't, please know that your wines have made many a meal at our table more enjoyable.

boatman72 wrote:LOL...I only bring out the Wellington when I have something important to celebrate!

I sometimes find that Wednesday evenings are an excellent reason to celebrate!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

The mystery bottle challenge was awesome. I'd love to see it repeated once more.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

polarbear22

kylemittskus wrote:The mystery bottle challenge was awesome. I'd love to see it repeated once more.

Agree. What a great idea and fun time. Though a certain wooter whose name won't be mentioned, but goes by Cesare, still has not let it go that he was the only one to get all three correct.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
polarbear22 wrote:Agree. What a great idea and fun time. Though a certain wooter whose name won't be mentioned, but goes by Cesare, still has not let it go that he was the only one to get all three correct.

You mean this one.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme

CT

polarbear22

cortot20 wrote:You mean this one.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

Bingo!!

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
polarbear22 wrote:Agree. What a great idea and fun time. Though a certain wooter whose name won't be mentioned, but goes by Cesare, still has not let it go that he was the only one to get all three correct.

It's fine by me ... I lord it over everyone who missed getting even one correct!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
cortot20 wrote:You mean this one.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

I always wondered about the story behind the title...

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
InFrom wrote:I always wondered about the story behind the title...

In essence, for each 3 pack you bought, there was a 4th "Mystery" bottle. Buy 3 sets, you got 3 mystery bottles. Each Mystery bottle had a different color dot. Just guess the varietal.

The Offer

The Blog Post

The Offer Thread

The Guessing Thread

The Wall of Fame aka Wall of Shame. At least as tabulated based on posts.

Of course, those of us who received such certificates still remained humble.

javadrinker wrote:The direct eye contact won't be an issue. Sparky and I have reached elitist status so we won't even be looking in the general direction of wine ████s, except for the occasional look of derision with accompanying snort. We elitists will be easy to spot at the woot gatherings for we will be wearing our woot certificates around our necks like Flavor Flav and his big clocks. Yeaaaaahhhhhh boooooouuuuuy!!!!

Right?

Edit: And the list of Mystery wines

And gotta love the filters!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:It's fine by me ... I lord it over everyone who missed getting even one correct!

This First (and last) Annual event is an example of why bahwm and I don't believe in calling it annual until there's been at least a second annual.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
MarkDaSpark wrote:Right?

Edit: And the list of Mystery wines

And gotta love the filters!

Wow, sorry I missed it! I see I'd been around here for 3 whole days when that sale went live. I think in my case I came for the cheap electronics, and I stayed for the wine. My first-ever buy on the site was the original Toothy.

And I love the fact that there were over 800 comments in the thread! Those week-long wine woots -- those were the days!

Edit -- I guess it was two a week? 2008 is such a long time ago!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Wine.Woot originally started as once a week. Original Toothy was awesome. And my wine education started with Peter in those good ol' days.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
InFrom wrote:Those week-long wine woots -- those were the days!

Yes they were. Back then I could buy a red wine from this site and have a 90% or greater confidence that I would like the wine. Unfortunately with the volume done now, it is less of a sure bet. There are still a great bunch of folks hanging around and a ton of good wines. It's just different...

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

Whoah / nooooo / congrats, Peter!

Definitely regretting not making it to Wellington when we took a weekend wine trip to CA last summer. Gonna have to try and make that happen now before it's too late.

As for that mystery challenge, that was an awesome idea. Pre-dates my time on here (started Wooting in '04, didn't start Wineing until '10 - silly me) though.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

cphy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cphy

When I picked up my club order last week, Toby sent me to VJB. I told them Toby sent me and they treated me like a Princess, even giving me the club discount on the two bottles I bought, and the pizza was good. But, that being said, it ain't Wellington...

Carol P. Hyman