cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
trifecta wrote:You opened one only 2 days after shipping? Really? shakes head....

Which one by the way?

My Fjellene was the same story. I find that it happens more often with out of state wineries.

I didn't know it arrived only 2 days earlier!!! I didn't get the shipping notice til now. I get enough shipments that I don't always know.

Eastern approach 09 (60CF, 40 ME). Fruitier and with less sediment than I had hoped. The wine had a filtered slightly jammy characteristic to it. The flavors were decent but the wine didn't have the edge I enjoy. (I kinda consider myself a tanninophile at this point. If the others are like it they will all be good Tuesday night wines or great to share without being special to me.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cmaldoon wrote:I didn't know it arrived only 2 days earlier!!! I didn't get the shipping notice til now. I get enough shipments that I don't always know.

Eastern approach 09 (60CF, 40 ME). Fruitier and with less sediment than I had hoped. The wine had a filtered slightly jammy characteristic to it. The flavors were decent but the wine didn't have the edge I enjoy. (I kinda consider myself a tanninophile at this point. If the others are like it they will all be good Tuesday night wines or great to share without being special to me.

tanninophile, I like that and am in the same boat

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:tanninophile, I like that and am in the same boat

Me three...but molarchae not so much

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

This bombshell arrived in my email this morning. Holy crap. Get your Wellington while it lasts? I wonder if Peter is going to stay making the wine under his name.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
klezman wrote:This bombshell arrived in my email this morning. Holy crap. Get your Wellington while it lasts? I wonder if Peter is going to stay making the wine under his name.

I just came over to post about this as well....

http://www.winesandvines.com/template.cfm?section=newsBriefs&content=129800
Not a bombshell to me, as I had heard rumors

A bummer for Peter, but the woot family may benefit by some pretty solid deals while he clears the back inventory.

"Founder Peter Wellington will continue to run the tasting room at Wellington Vineyards and retain his existing inventory as part of a two-year lease agreement, according to a statement released by VJB Vineyards."

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
trifecta wrote:I just came over to post about this as well....

A bummer for Peter, but the woot family may benefit by some pretty solid deals while he clears the back inventory.

"Founder Peter Wellington will continue to run the tasting room at Wellington Vineyards and retain his existing inventory as part of a two-year lease agreement, according to a statement released by VJB Vineyards."

Now I regret passing up the mixed case during the wootoff...

klezman

Any idea what the reason was? Nothing I've yet seen has that sort of info. This whole thing makes me sad. I like VJB, but they're no Wellington. And their pricing is, well, not as reasonable.

Edit: a bit of digging, and it seems like Peter just wants to retire.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
klezman wrote:Any idea what the reason was?

Lets go with that....

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
trifecta wrote:Lets go with that....

And damn good for him if that's why he sold. If he's able to cash out, remain in business for a couple years to phase himself into retirement, and maybe do a little playing afterwards, cheers.

Now, about these close-outs.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:And damn good for him if that's why he sold. If he's able to cash out, remain in business for a couple years to phase himself into retirement, and maybe do a little playing afterwards, cheers.

Now, about these close-outs.

It might be an opportunity for some nice woot cellars wines from his 2012/13 vintages.

CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
kylemittskus wrote:Now, about these close-outs.

+1

If only we could get a heads up when these offers will be up on Woot....don't want to accidentally be away from woot the day that happens....as we'll need to stock up big time.
I'm sure Peter could probably sell off his entire 2-yr inventory in one fell swoop to us here in a single day.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste

No bummer for me. I'll be phasing out over the next 2-3 years. For now, all I'm giving up is the farming. No more middle of the night frost detail, no more tractor jockeying.

SonomaBouliste

InFrom wrote:Now I regret passing up the mixed case during the wootoff...

I won't become a stranger here.

SonomaBouliste

klezman wrote:Any idea what the reason was? Nothing I've yet seen has that sort of info. This whole thing makes me sad. I like VJB, but they're no Wellington. And their pricing is, well, not as reasonable.

My daughters are old enough now to know they don't want wine careers. If they did, I'd find a way to do this for another 30 years, but they don't, so time to retire while I can still be very active.

SonomaBouliste

cortot20 wrote:It might be an opportunity for some nice woot cellars wines from his 2012/13 vintages.

Hmmmm, there's an idea ;)

SonomaBouliste

HitAnyKey42 wrote:+1

If only we could get a heads up when these offers will be up on Woot....don't want to accidentally be away from woot the day that happens....as we'll need to stock up big time.
I'm sure Peter could probably sell off his entire 2-yr inventory in one fell swoop to us here in a single day.

That would be one crazy day.
I don't think the w00t servers could handle it.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
SonomaBouliste wrote:My daughters are old enough now to know they don't want wine careers. If they did, I'd find a way to do this for another 30 years, but they don't, so time to retire while I can still be very active.

Congratulations on being able to do this, Peter.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
SonomaBouliste wrote:That would be one crazy day.
I don't think the w00t servers could handle it.

Nor my wallet. That is an event I would come out my woot-tirement for.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin
SonomaBouliste wrote:I won't become a stranger here.

This is indeed reassuring, and +1 on more w00t wines from Peter.

CT

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

The only problem with some Welllington offers is the $#*!& list of states that can't be shipped to. I might have to find folks in other states for wootlegging duties.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
coynedj wrote:The only problem with some Welllington offers is the $#*!& list of states that can't be shipped to. I might have to find folks in other states for wootlegging duties.

Between my need to visit the Badlands some day and your connections in Western NY, we should be able to find a way to work that out. Been too long since we've seen each other.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:This is indeed reassuring, and +1 on more w00t wines from Peter.

+1 as well

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Justinrsanderson!!

Happy Birthday to justinrsanderson!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

rjquillin wrote:This is indeed reassuring, and +1 on more w00t wines from Peter.

Had some Vinito del Finito last night. Want more.

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
SonomaBouliste wrote:Hmmmm, there's an idea ;)

Woot! Woot!

CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Just in case any others of the NYCrew haven't seen it yet, there's going to finally be another woot gathering on 4/26 in Brooklyn. (http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5719480)

Be there....or be sober.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

TT! I HAVE DECIDED TO BUY AN OOMA, TELL THEM TO ACCOMODATE MY DEMANDS OR MORTIMER GETS IT!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bhodilee wrote:TT! I HAVE DECIDED TO BUY AN OOMA, TELL THEM TO ACCOMODATE MY DEMANDS OR MORTIMER GETS IT!

Tsk. You should know by now that as soon as you decide you want specific woot junk, that's when they stop selling it.

Ever.

Until you finally break down and buy it elsewhere and then a year later woot is flooded with it again.

Damn leakfrogs.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

one more day of work.. then Spring Break!! yippie

klezman

cheron98 wrote:Tsk. You should know by now that as soon as you decide you want specific woot junk, that's when they stop selling it.

Ever.

Until you finally break down and buy it elsewhere and then a year later woot is flooded with it again.

Damn leakfrogs.

Shun knives

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
mommadeb1 wrote:one more day of work.. then Spring Break!! yippie

+1
Although admittedly I will work a good bit of it. But with everyone gone I'll get more done in 3 hours than I do on most regular school days!

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
cheron98 wrote:Plans for our Orlando adventure are finally coming together. Schedule looks as thus:

Sunday, Magic Kingdom
Monday, Universal Islands
Tuesday, Resort waterpark day
Wednesday, Epcot
Thursday, Animal Kingdom
Friday, stupid timeshare presentation blah, return to a Disney park in the evening, maybe.
Saturday, Downtown Disney/homeward bound

Tee hee

Here's a tip for great on-the-run, in-the-park food: get the smoked turkey leg from the cart vendor in Frontier Town. Best QPR food choice in the park. Tender, smoky, juicy, a little salty and a little crunchy skin... And for about $10 the things are big enough to feed a family of 4, you can't go wrong.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
cheron98 wrote:Tsk. You should know by now that as soon as you decide you want specific woot junk, that's when they stop selling it.

Ever.

Damn leakfrogs.

They were on sellout like a week ago of course

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

Ever.

Damn leakfrogs.

Exactly!!!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Here's a tip for great on-the-run, in-the-park food: get the smoked turkey leg from the cart vendor in Frontier Town. Best QPR food choice in the park. Tender, smoky, juicy, a little salty and a little crunchy skin... And for about $10 the things are big enough to feed a family of 4, you can't go wrong.

we have fed our family many a time with those yummy turkey legs! that and the food at China, not the sit down restaurant (which is good).

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
mommadeb1 wrote:one more day of work.. then Spring Break!! yippie

Spring break, right near Spring? Nice! I think ours begins the 11th of April for a week. They did cut our break by one day on Mon. April 21st due to our snow days.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
klezman wrote:Shun knives

Never been a fan of Japanese style knives. I guess I grew up using a French chef knife and now it just feels right.

Wusthof epicure at Sur la Table is what I have my eye on...but when you're engaged housewares are off limits because those are all things to put on a registry as opposed to buying for oneself.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:Never been a fan of Japanese style knives. I guess I grew up using a French chef knife and now it just feels right.

Wusthof epicure at Sur la Table is what I have my eye on...but when you're engaged housewares are off limits because those are all things to put on a registry as opposed to buying for oneself.

Guess it depends on what you are cutting. When I'm doing Japanese food, be it fish or other, I'll use a Japanese knife. Otherwise, I'm not so particular and use what seems best suited for the task.

CT

klezman

cmaldoon wrote:Never been a fan of Japanese style knives. I guess I grew up using a French chef knife and now it just feels right.

I prefer a chef's knife for most uses, but the Shun blades seem to have a great edge and do feel nice. The Wusthof I tried a few times felt heavy and clunky, unfortunately.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
otolith wrote:Congratulations on being able to do this, Peter.

Seconded. Enjoy!