klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
bahwm wrote:Correction: When making Ice Wine, the grapes are left on the vines to FREEZE. Somehow they do not turn to raisins. I think these are grapes that originally have a lot of juice and so, they are able to freeze and then, the winemakers squeeze out the last drop or two from each grape to make the beautiful nectar which is Ice Wine--hence the high cost--it takes a lot of frozen grapes to make a little bit of Ice Wine! Oh, yeah, and they have to be picked only after the temperatures have been in the mid to upper teens Fahrenheit for three days in a row and are often picked in the middle of the night (these specs are for Ontario, Canada)

The only spec for Ontario icewine is that the brix has to be greater than some number - I think it's 35 - and that the grapes have to be naturally frozen on the vine. No electric freezers allowed. The rule of thumb the wineries use is something like -10 Celsius for some number of days. They do pick middle of the night...I've always wanted to join in the icewine harvest one year but never got around to figuring out how. It's supposed to be a lot of fun! They even crush in the vineyards before dawn when the grapes start to warm up and dilute the juice (possibly into late harvest territory, making the wine much less valuable, even at 1 degree Brix lower).

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

chipgreen wrote:I'm still guessing ice wine based on the $40-$70/bottle price range.

Icewine grapes can be raisined. But so can "late harvest" grapes, and especially botrytized grapes. Could be icewine, Tokaji, Sauternes, Recioto, Vin de Paille, or even a California Port-style wine.

Edit: I see it's been determined to be Amarone. Deliciousness.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Anyone here participate in the wine surveys on Wine Opinions? If not, each month they give $200 to one new joiner. And they have a drawing for existing members not selected for panels. And I just won $200 from that. And a couple months ago I was on a panel, just involved in a discussion forum that is less active than the pub, and got $100 for doing that. So check it out. (wineopinions.com)

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

I f***ing hate apple and my iPhone and iTunes and in March, I'm buying a Samsung and I'm going write a leter to tell Tim Cook and tell him he sucks at his life.

I feel a teeny bit better now.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
kylemittskus wrote:I f***ing hate apple and my iPhone and iTunes and in March, I'm buying a Samsung and I'm going write a leter to tell Tim Cook and tell him he sucks at his life.

I feel a teeny bit better now.

I'm starting to feel the same way. Apple, usually, just, works. Well. Lately, not so much. The battery on the 5 sucks. Phone reception, seems to suffer as well. So, once this contract is up, I think I'm moving on as well. Only thing keeping me here are all the apps I have...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kylemittskus

otolith wrote:I'm starting to feel the same way. Apple, usually, just, works. Well. Lately, not so much. The battery on the 5 sucks. Phone reception, seems to suffer as well. So, once this contract is up, I think I'm moving on as well. Only thing keeping me here are all the apps I have...

I had to erase all my music in order to install the new software that I hate. That makes no sense. So, I just spent about 15 minutes going through my music and putting it on my phone. Or so I thought. Apparently, drag and drop isn't how you do it anymore. I had no idea since they've changed iTunes about 95 times in the last year. So, 15 minutes wasted and I want to punch one of the apple workers, who won't help you when you walk in but are too cool for formal lines like a normal store so you can't actually get help, in the face. And I feel a bit better again.

Edit: I can't figure out how to remove songs they put on with the update. I HATE THIS PHONE. It used to work so easily. What the hell?!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
rjquillin wrote:Ah, ok.
That stuff is all over the place around here, not bad, also not something I'd totally avoid either, but if there are other options, well...
Bulk producer for the most part.
Generally find these in hot sake machines around here likely the 18l box of KOSHU Masamune. Yikes.
Not sure they even have a Junmai-Dai-Ginjo grade.
Ah, they do have one:
SHO CHIKU BAI Antique $60/720ml.
Might have to look for that one.

I think I saw the commercial 8 times last night.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:I had to erase all my music in order to install the new software that I hate. That makes no sense. So, I just spent about 15 minutes going through my music and putting it on my phone. Or so I thought. Apparently, drag and drop isn't how you do it anymore. I had no idea since they've changed iTunes about 95 times in the last year. So, 15 minutes wasted and I want to punch one of the apple workers, who won't help you when you walk in but are too cool for formal lines like a normal store so you can't actually get help, in the face. And I feel a bit better again.

Edit: I can't figure out how to remove songs they put on with the update. I HATE THIS PHONE. It used to work so easily. What the hell?!

Meanwhile, my S4 is basically my mistress.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

otolith

kylemittskus wrote:I had to erase all my music in order to install the new software that I hate. That makes no sense. So, I just spent about 15 minutes going through my music and putting it on my phone. Or so I thought. Apparently, drag and drop isn't how you do it anymore. I had no idea since they've changed iTunes about 95 times in the last year. So, 15 minutes wasted and I want to punch one of the apple workers, who won't help you when you walk in but are too cool for formal lines like a normal store so you can't actually get help, in the face. And I feel a bit better again.

Is it too late to see if they can clone Jobs?

You can still drag and drop. I'm so astonished. It used to be so damn easy to do everything on the phone, now they're making it like Windows...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kylemittskus

bhodilee wrote:Meanwhile, my S4 is basically my mistress.

In March, I'll know such bliss. Until then, I'll be angry.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:... They do pick middle of the night...I've always wanted to join in the icewine harvest one year but never got around to figuring out how it's supposed to be a lot of fun. They even crush in the vineyards before dawn when the grapes start to warm up and dilute the juice (possibly into late harvest territory, making the wine much less valuable, even at 1 degree Brix lower).

IFTFY

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

°★。˛ °.★** *★* *˛.
˛ °_██_*。*./ \ .˛* .˛.*.★*MERRY CHRISTMAS*★ 。*
˛. (´• ̮•)*˛°*/.♫.♫\*˛.* ˛_Π_____. * ˛*
.°( . • . ) ˛°./• '♫ ' •\.˛*./______/~\*. ˛*.。˛* ˛. *。
*(...'•'.. ) *˛╬╬╬╬╬˛°.|田田 |門|╬╬╬╬ .
¯˜"*°••°*"˜¯`´¯˜"*°••°*"˜¯`¬´¯˜"*°´¯˜"*°••°*"˜¯`´¯˜"*°•~"
Merry Christmas to my Woot family and friends. xx

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

klezman wrote:Icewine grapes can be raisined. But so can "late harvest" grapes, and especially botrytized grapes. Could be icewine, Tokaji, Sauternes, Recioto, Vin de Paille, or even a California Port-style wine.

Edit: I see it's been determined to be Amarone. Deliciousness.

Yep, and I figured it out. And yes, deliciousness.

--John Muir

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:In March, I'll know such bliss. Until then, I'll be angry.

In March you should just wait two months and get the new whatever. I'm glad I waited over the S3

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

ddog, klez;
check email

CT

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom

Sounds kinda like the premise of that new movie.

klezman

Ditto...loving the S4

klezman

rjquillin wrote:ddog, klez;
check email

Replied.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
klezman wrote:Ditto...loving the S4

The S4 is the only Apple product I've ever owned. I'm happy with it but it has started to semi-freeze when I swipe the the screen to browse my apps. So far I have resisted the recent OS upgrades although I hear 7.04 is supposed to be pretty stable, any comments?

bhodilee

chipgreen wrote:The S4 is the only Apple product I've ever owned. I'm happy with it but it has started to semi-freeze when I swipe the the screen to browse my apps. So far I have resisted the recent OS upgrades although I hear 7.04 is supposed to be pretty stable, any comments?

Crossed wires. We're talking Samsung Galaxy S4 not iPhone 4s. I think you're screwed based on what Kyle says.

bhodilee

I will likely not be online much, if at all, starting in about an hour, so if you celebrate it, have a Merry Christmas. If you don't celebrate it, enjoy your Chinese food and Movie outing.

Basically, have a kick ass December 25th in whatever way you deem most appropriate. Unless you deem kicking puppies appropriate (initially type that with s'....yikes!), in which case, I hope you slip on ice and suffer a compound fracture.

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
bhodilee wrote:I will likely not be online much, if at all, starting in about an hour, so if you celebrate it, have a Merry Christmas. If you don't celebrate it, enjoy your Chinese food and Movie outing.

Basically, have a kick ass December 25th in whatever way you deem most appropriate. Unless you deem kicking puppies appropriate (initially type that with s'....yikes!), in which case, I hope you slip on ice and suffer a compound fracture.

A special Merry Christmas to you and to your family, too, Bowtie! Safe travels!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bhodilee wrote:I will likely not be online much, if at all, starting in about an hour, so if you celebrate it, have a Merry Christmas. If you don't celebrate it, enjoy your Chinese food and Movie outing.

well said! and the same to you!!

otolith

Merry Christmas, Bowtie! So, you're saying there'll be no spiked egg nog rants coming from you?

--John Muir

rjquillin

Yes, the rants will be missed, just be home by Friday;
and have a {insert whatever phrase is appropriate for you}.

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg

The news some of you have been waiting for, announced yesterday: John Urschel has been named the 2013 recipient of the Senior CLASS (An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School) Award for football.
Thanks to all who voted.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin

ddeuddeg wrote:The news some of you have been waiting for, announced yesterday: John Urschel has been named the 2013 recipient of the Senior CLASS (An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School) Award for football.
Thanks to all who voted.

YEAH! what a great and deserved present.
All that typing practice helped out.
You know the final vote tally?

CT

chipgreen

bhodilee wrote:Crossed wires. We're talking Samsung Galaxy S4 not iPhone 4s. I think you're screwed based on what Kyle says.

Oops. 4S, S4, sheesh! I think Kyle has an iPhone 5 or 5S that comes with the new OS built-in. I will stick with the old OS awhile longer.

ddeuddeg

rjquillin wrote:
You know the final vote tally?

Seems like they don't publish that.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

chipgreen

ddeuddeg wrote:The news some of you have been waiting for, announced yesterday: John Urschel has been named the 2013 recipient of the Senior CLASS (An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School) Award for football.
Thanks to all who voted.

Great news! Thanks for the update.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Question: Does anyone know where I can find Michael Sullberg Reserve Cabernet 2011 (or 2012 but 2011 is preferred). So far all the shipping charges outweight ordering from the internet. Anyone in Buffalo know if it might be available locally?

chemvictim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim

Same to you!

chemvictim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
Thanks to all who voted.

Hooray!

polarbear22

Thanks to all who voted.

Great news. Well deserved.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

tiger7610 wrote:Question: Does anyone know where I can find Michael Sullberg Reserve Cabernet 2011 (or 2012 but 2011 is preferred). So far all the shipping charges outweight ordering from the internet. Anyone in Buffalo know if it might be available locally?

Looks like Global has it, but seems like it may be a different vintage. Don't know how up-to-date their website is.

polarbear22

Merry Christmas to everyone in the Pub!! Hope that everyone that celebrates has a wonderful time and can enjoy family. And for those that don't celebrate, a nice relaxing federal holiday.

I have greatly appreciated the support and friendship shown to me from this group this year. I will be thinking of you when we toast this evening.

My Cellar

mommadeb1

Thanks to all who voted.

YIIIPPPIIIEEE!!!! congrats! glad we could help!!

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Merry Christmas to everyone in the Pub!! Hope that everyone that celebrates has a wonderful time and can enjoy family. And for those that don't celebrate, a nice relaxing federal holiday.

I have greatly appreciated the support and friendship shown to me from this group this year. I will be thinking of you when we toast this evening.

Hugs to you and your family....

MarkDaSpark

Since I will be busy ... Posting this early!

Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom

Merry Christmas and good wishes to all the Pub people. To those who are traveling, safe travels. Me, I'm heading for Chinatown tomorrow for dim sum, then to the flicks. Then we do take-out Szechuan food for dinner. NYC -- gotta love it.

We saw "Gravity" this afternoon. Needed half a bottle of Riesling to calm down afterward. Wow, talk about your intense movies! Very well done, though.