SakeOneSakeSteve

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SakeOneSakeSteve

To North 316:

The Momokawa sake you bought on Woot over 2 years ago - that's a stretch for the sake keeping it's character - probably past its prime - but you never know! If they were stored in cool conditions they might be fine. Sake doesn't really "go bad" like white wine it starts to lose its fresh, fruit qualities and becomes more earthy or nutty tasting.

Kanpai!

Steve @ SakeOne

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:So, it looks like Ron and Scott can split an order and klez and I will split one? Your turn klez. I'll deduct it from what you owe me. Or maybe Ron and I should split since klez and Scott see each other more often. That's probably the better option?

Well, at this point I owe all three of you $, so it doesn't matter to me.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

Steve that begs a couple questions: when would you say is the drinking window, and is it best to drink the whole bottle in one go or will some air do it good? Or do we need an argon setup like Ron has to keep it for a second evening?

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

SakeOneSakeSteve

Re Polar's request for Sake 101 primer----

Sake is not rice wine.
Sake is not distilled.
Sake is brewed like beer, but drinks like wine.
Sake is made from rice, water, yeast, and koji(special mold spore).
Sake has no sulfites, no gluten, no preservatives.
Sake doesn't need to be aged, it shoud be drank within 12-18 months of the bottle date (most sake have it printed on label or bottle).

Drink premium sake slightly chilled. Since it has 1/3 the acidity of wine, it pairs with all kinds of food (NOT JUST JAPANESE!!!).

Lots more info about sake on our website: Sakeone.com

Kanpai!

Steve @ SakeOne

SakeOneSakeSteve

Klezman -

Great question about opened sake and longevity -

Unlike wine, sake will hold up in the fridge for weeks, even months after being opened - Seriously!

Good sake doesn't sit in my fridge very long but I know from inputs from many sake pros that this is truly the case. So no special argon or gas system is necessary.

with the g sake's higher alcohol content it gives it even more staying power after being opened.

Kanpai!

Steve @ SakeOne

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
SakeOneSakeSteve wrote:To North 316:

The Momokawa sake you bought on Woot over 2 years ago - that's a stretch for the sake keeping it's character - probably past its prime - but you never know! If they were stored in cool conditions they might be fine. Sake doesn't really "go bad" like white wine it starts to lose its fresh, fruit qualities and becomes more earthy or nutty tasting.

Kanpai!

Steve @ SakeOne

Kind of my fear. Thankfully, it has been stored in my wine cooler. At the very least, it should be good for cooking, but I will open a bottle this weekend. I'm guessing the "organic, unfiltered" bottle has less of a chance of still being good?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ganelo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ganelo
lonearchon wrote:It base on the Winery if they have a license or not to ship to that state. I bum too that they don't ship to MD

Well, as it turns out, they do ship to DC, and I'm not too far from DC.

I wouldn't be averse to splitting my order if you're in the general vicinity.

SakeOneSakeSteve

North316 wrote:Kind of my fear. Thankfully, it has been stored in my wine cooler. At the very least, it should be good for cooking, but I will open a bottle this weekend. I'm guessing the "organic, unfiltered" bottle has less of a chance of still being good?

It's hard to speculate how the Organic Nigori (unfiltered) will be after this long - but odds are it will have a very different character than its original one!

Steve @ SakeOne

Symbolic2007

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007

I'm surprised Missouri is no longer in the list, but I'm not that terribly disappointed.

I much, much preferred the Momokawa Ruby, Diamond, Pearl, and Silver to the G series. I used to be able to find this line on the shelves of a couple local wine & spirits shops back when it was in the old blue bottles with simpler labels. Sometimes I'll get lucky and still find one or two of them somewhere.

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
klezman wrote:Well, at this point I owe all three of you $, so it doesn't matter to me.

Executive decision: you buy and split with Scott. Ron, by your double order and tell me what 25% of the total is and I'll add it to our list.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

SakeOneSakeSteve wrote:Riquillia-

We label both sake as "Junmai Ginjo" even though the new g fifty qualifies as a "Junmai Daiginjo". In essence, you're getting more bang for your buck with the higher polish rate on the g fifty - we just decided not to label it a Daiginjo since the production method is the same as the g joy.

There are no distillates added to either sake - in fact it is illegal to do so for American brewed sake. Both sake are pure, undiluted, full strength, in a bigger, full bodied style.

I can't recall tasting a Japanese made sake that compares to either g sake - these are more bold expressions of the drink. Maybe some Nama sakes such as Minato Harbor Nama Genshu - but that retails for 36 bucks.

Kampai,

Steve @ SakeOne

Steve, thanks for jumping in. Steve is the president of SakeOne (unless i'm mistaken).

if you remember when this originally ran on wine.woot it had the Japanese version of Sake' on the logo instead of wine.woot. couldn't pull it off this time.

enjoy this. it will arrive before Christmas.

thanks,

dh4645

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dh4645

damn, would have been a great Christmas present for our 4 families (would have gotten 2 orders so we each got both kinds), but they wont ship to PA.

I hate PA laws.

We still have beer distributors and state run liquor stores. ugh.

i guess i'll check the liquor stores to see if they have anything good.

never had sake and always wanted to try it and these looked really good.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
Winedavid39 wrote:Steve, thanks for jumping in. Steve is the president of SakeOne (unless i'm mistaken).

if you remember when this originally ran on wine.woot it had the Japanese version of Sake' on the logo instead of wine.woot. couldn't pull it off this time.

enjoy this. it will arrive before Christmas.

thanks,

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
Symbolic2007 wrote:I'm surprised Missouri is no longer in the list, but I'm not that terribly disappointed.

I much, much preferred the Momokawa Ruby, Diamond, Pearl, and Silver to the G series. I used to be able to find this line on the shelves of a couple local wine & spirits shops back when it was in the old blue bottles with simpler labels. Sometimes I'll get lucky and still find one or two of them somewhere.

Curious as to you liking, say the Diamond, to the G series. Was it the taste profile, the Diamond being more "traditional" perhaps?

CT

rjquillin

SakeOneSakeSteve wrote:Riquillia-

We label both sake as "Junmai Ginjo" even though the new g fifty qualifies as a "Junmai Daiginjo". In essence, you're getting more bang for your buck with the higher polish rate on the g fifty - we just decided not to label it a Daiginjo since the production method is the same as the g joy.

There are no distillates added to either sake - in fact it is illegal to do so for American brewed sake. Both sake are pure, undiluted, full strength, in a bigger, full bodied style.

I can't recall tasting a Japanese made sake that compares to either g sake - these are more bold expressions of the drink. Maybe some Nama sakes such as Minato Harbor Nama Genshu - but that retails for 36 bucks.

Kampai,

Steve @ SakeOne

Thanks for the additional info, which prompted a new question and a re-ask of an earlier one:
What is you post fermentation regime?
Do these see any filtration, and if so, in what manner?

From the comments it appears these are not "traditional" in the Japanese way high end sake, as was perhaps the Momokawa Diamond.
Can you elaborate just a bit more how these differ?

I really like good traditional sake and don't blink dropping $100+ on a 720, but can stretch out a bit if I know a bit what to expect.

Thanks again for revisiting.

CT

kylecountryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman

I put a call in to my Japanese customer this morning (luckily caught him before he went to bed). He didn't know anything about this brand, since it was made in the US, but he liked the "Junmai Ginjo" and "Junmai Daiginjo" styles. I ordered one out of curiosity since I've only had sake once before, many years ago.

His suggestion was to drink it warm, has anyone tried either of these warm? Their site suggests drinking it chilled here, but gives the option of warming too.

kylemittskus

kylecountryman wrote:His suggestion was to drink it warm, has anyone tried either of these warm?

The sakè master says drink them like a white wine. Chilled but not ice cold.

rjquillin

kylecountryman wrote:His suggestion was to drink it warm, has anyone tried either of these warm? Their site suggests drinking it chilled here, but gives the option of warming too.

Warm!? Perhaps cool cellar/room temp warm, but hot would be a travesty reserved only for plonk sake.

CT

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost
rjquillin wrote:Warm!? Perhaps cool cellar/room temp warm, but hot would be a travesty reserved only for plonk sake.

I must respectfully disagree. While it is true that high-end sakes are best enjoyed chilled, it is something of a myth that heating is only done to mask the flavor of poor sake. The flavor of some perfectly respectable sakes can be brought out by warming. They are particularity enjoyable during winter.

bonnerino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonnerino

Anyone have any idea on shipping time? This could be a great Christmas idea...

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
North316 wrote:Kind of my fear. Thankfully, it has been stored in my wine cooler. At the very least, it should be good for cooking, but I will open a bottle this weekend. I'm guessing the "organic, unfiltered" bottle has less of a chance of still being good?

I have opened some bottles after an overly long wait. I found it quite drinkable. Not likely to be what the Sakeone wanted it to taste like, but it wasn't bad.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

SakeOneSakeSteve

dh4645 wrote:damn, would have been a great Christmas present for our 4 families (would have gotten 2 orders so we each got both kinds), but they wont ship to PA.

I hate PA laws.

We still have beer distributors and state run liquor stores. ugh.

i guess i'll check the liquor stores to see if they have anything good.

never had sake and always wanted to try it and these looked really good.

dh4645: good news for you - you can get our Momokawa Diamond and Pearl sake in the PA state stores, albeit in 300ml bottle size which might be better for your experimenting. It is possible some of the specialty stores might have g joy also. Not sure which ones though...

Steve @ SakeOne

SakeOneSakeSteve

NightGhost wrote:I must respectfully disagree. While it is true that high-end sakes are best enjoyed chilled, it is something of a myth that heating is only done to mask the flavor of poor sake. The flavor of some perfectly respectable sakes can be brought out by warming. They are particularity enjoyable during winter.

I glazed over the whole notion of chilled vs warmed sake since it involves a deeper knowledge of which sake should be consumed warm. Unfortunately most Americans first exposure to sake is cheap hot sake served at a sushi bar. There are high quality sake made in Japan expressly for serving warm. Actually the Japanese have something like seven differnt serving temperatures, depending on the season and occasion. They run from skin temp all the way to piping hot!

So while there are defintely some great warm sake experiences to be had, you have to know what to order (and how to heat it properly)so you don't end up disappointed.

That's why SakeOne focuses on the chilled sake concept as it takes the guess work out of the equation.

Kanpai!

Steve @ SakeOne

SakeOneSakeSteve

rjquillin wrote:Thanks for the additional info, which prompted a new question and a re-ask of an earlier one:

From the comments it appears these are not "traditional" in the Japanese way high end sake, as was perhaps the Momokawa Diamond.

I really like good traditional sake and don't blink dropping $100+ on a 720, but can stretch out a bit if I know a bit what to expect.

What I mean by "traditional" Japanese sake is generally lighter aroma, lighter body, and a quicker finish. Though the analogy isn't exactly the same, if you have a wine-based palate than its comparable to drinking a bigger red like Cab to a softer red like Pinot - just different structure. We end up with the bigger structure with our g sake since they are undiluted (genshu) and the rice, yeast, and koji strains all contribute to that character.

For post fermentation, the sake is pasteurized a few days after pressing - this "stabilizes" the sake and it's many active enzymes. It ages for 3 to 6 months in stainless steel tanks, is fined, filtered, and pastuerized a second time on the way to the bottle (filled hot).

lastly, the Momokawa line is more traditional in that we dilute the sake down to 14.8 alc, except Momokawa Pearl which is a Junmai Ginjo Genshu Nigori (undiluted cloudy sake).

One last note, if you drink the g sake and find the alcohol too strong for your preference, throw in a ice cube or two - kinda like single malt neat vs with a rock...

Kanpai!

Steve @ SakeOne

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
rjquillin wrote:Thanks for the additional info, which prompted a new question and a re-ask of an earlier one:

For me, these have a little more alcohol, slightly sweeter (due to the alcohol?), bigger flavor. It's kind of an in your face Sake and it's delicious. They hate me though and wont' deliver to Nebraska so I won't buy three, but I would have! Then I'd have created a new account and bought three more! Then I'd have stolen my wifes password and bought 3 more!

DAMN!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rjquillin

Thanks Steve and NightGhost for the 'warm' comments.

I have had some very bad, imo, hot sake served, as you say, at Sushi and other Japanese restaurants.
I've also had some very good cold/chilled sake; I have not experienced, yet, a good warm/hot sake at a restaurant, here in the US or Japan, but its good to know it exists.

Look forward to trying these, and thanks Steve for the considered comments.

CT

kylecountryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman
SakeOneSakeSteve wrote:There are high quality sake made in Japan expressly for serving warm. Actually the Japanese have something like seven differnt serving temperatures, depending on the season and occasion. They run from skin temp all the way to piping hot!

Yes, my business associate gave me a lengthy email about how to properly warm up the sake. My concern was that most of the suggestions were to just drink it chilled. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing another way to enjoy this drink. A group of my co-workers just returned from Japan and drank quite a bit of sake in all different temperatures, some of which was almost like hot tea temperature.

SakeOneSakeSteve wrote:That's why SakeOne focuses on the chilled sake concept as it takes the guess work out of the equation.

This answers my question, thank you.

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

bonnerino wrote:Anyone have any idea on shipping time? This could be a great Christmas idea...

yes, delivered in time for Christmas!

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Executive decision: you buy and split with Scott. Ron, by your double order and tell me what 25% of the total is and I'll add it to our list.

$33.745

CT

nemosutopia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nemosutopia

Just wanted to tell people I almost had a heart attack when I saw this offer last night - because we've been drinking the G Fifty for weeks at a great Izakaya in Portland, OR, Yataimura Maru by Shigezo. G Fifty sounded a bit more like a hip hop team than sake - - but we tried a bunch of samples but found this to be the most complex, bold and just enjoyable sake to drink!

I'm not a sake expert by any objective stretch - but I've spent more than 12 years studying Japanese and spent my youth traveling there from the US... And this is some of the best I have ever had.

Also, I'm barely a drinker - haven't bought a bottle of anything for myself in at least 6 years. And I got 3 of this deal.

I can't speak for the G Joy (the sake themed adult toy to go with the hip hop group?) but I'm sure its fantastic if its half as good as the G50.

Bottom line, these guys may have had too much of their blessed beverage at their product naming meetings, but the drink is simply amazing & worthy of being stockpiled.

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:$33.745

I'll add it to the till.

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

chipgreen wrote:

much obliged.

dh4645

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dh4645
SakeOneSakeSteve wrote:dh4645: good news for you - you can get our Momokawa Diamond and Pearl sake in the PA state stores, albeit in 300ml bottle size which might be better for your experimenting. It is possible some of the specialty stores might have g joy also. Not sure which ones though...

Steve @ SakeOne

Ok thanks. I will try and look this week. i'm sure their arent any specialty stores in my area

raylotekka

quality posts: 1 Private Messages raylotekka

More info on Saké, for the uninitiated, like me.

http://cocktails.about.com/od/spirits/p/sake_profile.htm

longjohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages longjohn
polarbear22 wrote:That was stressful. Unable to order on the PC. Screen would not complete, so no order button to puch. Had to resort to phone to complete the order.

same problem here- even on mobile. Anyone else having problems ordering today?

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:Executive decision: you buy and split with Scott. Ron, by your double order and tell me what 25% of the total is and I'll add it to our list.

Done. Scott, got you covered.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

longjohn wrote:same problem here- even on mobile. Anyone else having problems ordering today?

We've identified a problem with IE8 that they are working on. I haven't heard about any mobile problems.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

polarbear22

Great to see the level of discussion today. Not many comments on most offers.

Steve, thanks for taking part. It makes a world of difference to have the sake master (winemaker?) join in the thread. And I am sure it translates to increased sales, both now and later.

I for one am still hoping for an appearance of Momokowa blue bottles. They were in that wine trellis thing. And unless it was an old photo, why were those bottles at hand? Sefish conspiracy theory.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

polarbear22

Pulled out my old G-joy bottle. Here is the poem that used to appear.

Men can't find it.
Forces can't make it.
Time can never change it.

Genshu Sake - an American masterpiece.

My Cellar

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
SakeOneSakeSteve wrote:dh4645: good news for you - you can get our Momokawa Diamond and Pearl sake in the PA state stores, albeit in 300ml bottle size which might be better for your experimenting. It is possible some of the specialty stores might have g joy also. Not sure which ones though...

Steve @ SakeOne

Just ran down to the state store and grabbed a bottled of G Joy. Tastings tonight.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill