polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
vaaccess wrote:Agreed....but now I am not going there. Logic failure...plus I think my PS is better than what they offer!!! (They do have a 2007 Robert Foley PS for $120...)

If they had told me their corkage fee would include a decanter and high-quality crystal glasses I think they would have a more compelling story...but whatever...(PS...Onerous Massive Family Gathering...I sound like a wine snob!!!)

No, sound like someone that knows his stuff. Will pay if it is worth it, otherwise, forget it.

We are going to a BYOB place tomorrow with ddeuddeg and bahwm. Wonder if I should bring some good glasses. Very nice place, but their glasses are old bowl shapes.

EDIT: Sparkly Otolith. Tis the season.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Just wanted to say an early Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.... we are expecting about 36 this year.. I will be busy, might not get a chance to check the boards..

mommadeb1

Haaaaaaaaaaaapppppppy Biiiiirrrtthhhhddaayyy to Mewalk707 & jwhite6114!!!

mommadeb1

I just got today my magnum of Reserve 2009 Perrin cotes Du Rhone... was thinking of having it for turkey day.. do you think it will be in shipping shock? and I should wait for another occasion to serve? or will it be ok? got it from Last Bottle earlier...

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mommadeb1 wrote:I just got today my magnum of Reserve 2009 Perrin cotes Du Rhone... was thinking of having it for turkey day.. do you think it will be in shipping shock? and I should wait for another occasion to serve? or will it be ok? got it from Last Bottle earlier...

Christmas is around the corner. I'd serve it then. Give it a month to settle down.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
vaaccess wrote:Good news...we can bring wine in.

Bad news...first place had a $50 corking fee!!! Where's the Football??

Good news again...second choice for dinner is closer, should be able to walk to, is a place we liked before, and only charges a $25 corking fee. Done. Hoping to blow the waiters/chefs mind with some quality PS!!! (Will let them try it for sure...)

I would check with the restaurant and see if they have a problem with you uncorking it before you get there. That wine is going to need a solid 2 hour decant...

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:Christmas is around the corner. I'd serve it then. Give it a month to settle down.

thanks.. I will break out the magnum of moon mountain then... never had it.. got it for this crowd...figured if it wasn't good, there are enough people who wouldn't know the difference!!

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
North316 wrote:I would check with the restaurant and see if they have a problem with you uncorking it before you get there. That wine is going to need a solid 2 hour decant...

Yeah...good point. Should have done that. It was awesome, but really tight...it needed more time to breathe.

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
vaaccess wrote:Yeah...good point. Should have done that. It was awesome, but really tight...it needed more time to breathe.

I generally do that with older bottles as well, especially with older bottles throwing sediment. Decant and pour back into the bottle after I've washed out the crud that I didn't want to get mixed up in transit.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Happy Thanksgivukkah 2013 to everyone!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:I generally do that with older bottles as well, especially with older bottles throwing sediment. Decant and pour back into the bottle after I've washed out the crud that I didn't want to get mixed up in transit.

So many joke openings, so little time!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20

Ron, I know you got fumigated recently. What did you have to do with your wine? ( if anything) a friend is getting his house done and had a small collection and was curious about what do with the wine.

CT

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:Ron, I know you got fumigated recently. What did you have to do with your wine? ( if anything) a friend is getting his house done and had a small collection and was curious about what do with the wine.

In CA it is required for the closure to be wet; horizontal or inverted does the trick.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Gobble tov. Nice.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Yup, so here we are traveling because we're crazy. Currently sitting in the parking lot formerly known as the NJ Turnpike. Lots of brake lights. Yup. Whose idea was it to go to Virginia anyway...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Gobble tov. Nice.

First time I've been aware T-day and Chanukah are coincident.
This happen often?

CT

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Sparky, where's my birthday greeting?

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
rjquillin wrote:First time I've been aware T-day and Chanukah are coincident.
This happen often?

Nah, this will be the only time...

MarkDaSpark

This happen often?

Only every 76,000 years.

MarkDaSpark

CAGrl wrote:Sparky, where's my birthday greeting?

#1: Friends on FB -- Check!

#2: Birthday listed on FB -- Nope

#3: Birthday wishes on your wall -- Nope

#4: Reminder from someone else -- Nope

#5: Whiny post in Pub -- Check!

Happy Birthday to CAGrl!!

Happy Birthday to CAGrl!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:Nah, this will be the only time...

Maybe for you, but I'm planning to do a Sheldon and go with a robot body for the next one in 76,000 years.

MarkDaSpark

Did anyone else notice that CAGrl & Mother both have 13 parade float's???

CAGrl

MarkDaSpark wrote:#1: Friends on FB -- Check!

#2: Birthday listed on FB -- Nope

#3: Birthday wishes on your wall -- Nope

#4: Reminder from someone else -- Nope

#5: Whiny post in Pub -- Check!

Happy Birthday to CAGrl!!

That video always cracks me up.

It's my birthday. I can be whiny.

MarkDaSpark

CAGrl wrote:That video always cracks me up.

It's my birthday. I can be whiny.

No, you can be Wine-y, but not whiny.

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
cheron98 wrote:Yup, so here we are traveling because we're crazy. Currently sitting in the parking lot formerly known as the NJ Turnpike. Lots of brake lights. Yup. Whose idea was it to go to Virginia anyway...

Got to polarbear's house safely by 5 PM Wed. Escaped the snow. Actually, I think the snowstorm fizzled in Buffalo.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

Happy Birthday, CAGirl!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Safe travels to all!!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
This happen often?

Last time was about 120 years ago, next one in 76,000 years. So we all need to celebrate this rare event.

Gobble-tov.

And Happy Hanukkah. We expect a menorah among our Thanksgiving decorations this year.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
polarbear22 wrote:Last time was about 120 years ago, next one in 76,000 years. So we all need to celebrate this rare event.

Gobble-tov.

And Happy Hanukkah. We expect a menorah among our Thanksgiving decorations this year.

We're having FriendsGivingakah today. Should be a fun time. I was asked... "can I bring sweet potato latkes?" Of course! Anything sweet potato anytime!

rjquillin

polarbear22 wrote:Last time was about 120 years ago, next one in 76,000 years. So we all need to celebrate this rare event.

Gobble-tov.

Thanks PB, not something I even thought about before meeting some here at gatherings.

Great we can all give thanks and hopefully be close to loved ones on the same day for a change.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
edthebedhead wrote:We're having FriendsGivingakah today. Should be a fun time. I was asked... "can I bring sweet potato latkes?" Of course! Anything sweet potato anytime!

I'd love to get a good recipe for those. I tried making some and they mostly burned instead of frying up nice and delicious.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

CAGrl

Has anybody ever made ddeuddeg's chocolate cheesecake before? I don't know what kind of chocolate cookies I should buy to make the crust.

rjquillin

CAGrl wrote:Has anybody ever made ddeuddeg's chocolate cheesecake before? I don't know what kind of chocolate cookies I should buy to make the crust.

Chocolate, with red raspberries, in any form is good.

CT

North316

CAGrl wrote:Has anybody ever made ddeuddeg's chocolate cheesecake before? I don't know what kind of chocolate cookies I should buy to make the crust.

I'm going to guess Oreo's

My CT

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
klezman wrote:I'd love to get a good recipe for those. I tried making some and they mostly burned instead of frying up nice and delicious.

I'll ask... and let you know if they were any good!

North316

Just made my first woot purchase since August 30th. 3 months would normally be a long time in between wine purchases, but 3 months for any woot purchase unheard of for me, just shows where things have gone here over the last few months. On a positive note, my wallet is getting thicker again:

Purchased:
Creminelli
3 Smores camping/grilling baskets ($1 each!, thanks Krampus!)
1 Ugly Sweater t-shirt
1 Ugly Sweater sweatshirt (first ugly sweater party this year...)

My CT

bahwm

Happy Thanksgiving All! Having a great time with the polarbears!

mommadeb1

Haapppyyyyy Biiiirrrrtttthddddaaaayyy, CAGirl!!!

mommadeb1

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving/Hanukkah!!

We ended up with only 33 people.. no one wanted wine..I take that back... I made sangria with the F bomb and it was a huge hit.. we had some last night and then I made more for today... I think when things settle down tomorrow, I will open something yummy... I deserve it!
Our company will be here til Sunday...
If anyone is going out tomorrow for black friday shopping... be careful!!

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

Gobble-tov.

So, second time I've seen this mentioned. Seems awfully suspicious (not questioning you), but 76K years is a LONG f-ing time, you know? Pretty amazing if this is really true. Not saying it isn't...Just shocked. Thanksgiving and Hanukkah may not even exist in 76K years...Think about what's changed in that time on Earth...My mind is clearly blown...

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker