quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
chemvictim wrote:I still hate them.

Sorry to bring up such a sore subject.

Edit: I don't even know anymore.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:Ah, so you come by it honestly!

but I am WAAYYY! worse than her!

mommadeb1

chemvictim wrote:Maybe I need to get the extended warranty. I do it under protest, since I think giblet ought to just work. This oven is less than 3 months old. As soon as it's fixed, I'm running the self clean cycle again, just to see.

I ALWAYS get the extended warranty... esp. with my luck... only 3 months? def. run the clean cycle again....and again.... what kind of oven is it?

mommadeb1

vaaccess wrote:Good luck!

My unprofessional advice...
Drink PLENTY of water, especially drink a glass of water before you eat to help you feel full. If you want to reduce your calorie intake, eat lots of vegetables. They'll fill you up with volume, but are low on the calories. Also be sure to reduce your oil intake. I've gone to just using vinegar on salads to reduce the calories.

I'll be honest...I had been struggling losing the weight I wanted and knew that I wasn't eating as healthy as I could. I watched a documentary called "Forks not Knives" and found it to be really interesting. Since then, I've really changed things a lot and have in turn lost more weight. I'm basically 70% vegetarian at this point, sometimes vegan. And haven't had any red meat in about three weeks now. My goal is to get to the point where I don't need high-cholesterol medication any more and ideally remove the need for acid-reflux meds, too. And, to get back to my college weight...So far, looking good. It's an every day/every meal kind of smart decision making adventure that you have to take yourself on.

I recently read a book called, "The Compound Effect" by Hardy (http://www.amazon.com/Compound-Effect-Darren-Hardy/dp/159315724X/) that I found to be incredibly valuable. It talks about easy things you can do to be successful at anything. I've since given copies of the book to my family and very close friends because I think it has the ability to help everyone do anything they want to do. I would encourage everyone to read it...

Thanks! and good luck to you... I do eat pretty healthy... and I have upped my workout to min. of an hour a day ... tue and thurs I am up to 2/2.5 hours... I have a friend who is pushing ..I mean encouraging.. me.. I just don't want the twit who is half ass doing this challenge, and who thinks she will win because she is taking extreeme measures: diet pills, water pills, extreeme eating habits.... I don't want her to win...she did this last time and ended up gaining most of her weight back... I am doing it so I feel better and can fit into my clothes again!!

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:The plumbing job is sooooo much worse than we expected! They had to dig a trench 15 feet deep in front of the house. Roots have impacted the sewer drain. They are going to have to dig all the way to the sewer box in the right of way and even take out some of the concrete in the front walk. As long as they're doing all of this, we may as well have the water line replaced. What the heck, it's only our money and our health! They will replace the water line with copper. I'll be taking the day off again tomorrow. If it has to go into Thursday, it's ddeuddeg's turn! He took one day off already.

ewww... is this the same plumbing company or did you try a different one?

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:The plumbing job is sooooo much worse than we expected! They had to dig a trench 15 feet deep in front of the house. Roots have impacted the sewer drain. They are going to have to dig all the way to the sewer box in the right of way and even take out some of the concrete in the front walk. As long as they're doing all of this, we may as well have the water line replaced. What the heck, it's only our money and our health! They will replace the water line with copper. I'll be taking the day off again tomorrow. If it has to go into Thursday, it's ddeuddeg's turn! He took one day off already.

ewww... is this the same plumbing company or did you try a different one?

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kylemittskus wrote:Sorry to bring up such a sore subject.

Edit: I don't even know anymore.

The moral of the story is, credit cards are evil. Never let them get the upper hand. And always hold a grudge.

chemvictim

mommadeb1 wrote:I ALWAYS get the extended warranty... esp. with my luck... only 3 months? def. run the clean cycle again....and again.... what kind of oven is it?

It is a whirlpool. Repair man says he sees this all the time, with all different brands and models. He says there is not enough ventilation inside the cabinet, and it overheats and fries the heat sensor. He says I am his fourth one this week. I'm appalled.

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
mommadeb1 wrote:Thanks! and good luck to you... I do eat pretty healthy... and I have upped my workout to min. of an hour a day ... tue and thurs I am up to 2/2.5 hours... I have a friend who is pushing ..I mean encouraging.. me.. I just don't want the twit who is half ass doing this challenge, and who thinks she will win because she is taking extreeme measures: diet pills, water pills, extreeme eating habits.... I don't want her to win...she did this last time and ended up gaining most of her weight back... I am doing it so I feel better and can fit into my clothes again!!

If you end up being healthier/losing weight...you will win in the long run. I understand what you mean, but winning the battle isn't as important as winning the war. Doing it smart will add years to your life, not reduce them. GOOD LUCK THOUGH!

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

vaaccess

So...I'm curious if any of you have any ideas on this.

Wife and I are going to get away soon, just for three nights. Currently thinking about sticking local/drivable, but also considering a farther destination. I spent an unreasonable amount of time today looking at things like Sandals, last-minute deals, etc, though haven't found anything that I consider to be worth what we want to spend. We're trying to be frugal! Anyway...Do any of you have any travel sites that you swear by to get amazing last-minute deals? I'm finding the whole thing to be a PITA.

Thanks!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Make sure they have lining in the sewer line, it really helps keep the roots out! And have them check where the line joins the city's pipes. We had that problem at Mom's.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:The moral of the story is, credit cards are evil. Never let them get the upper hand. And always hold a grudge.

+1 ... and I still don't shop at Sears!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:It is a whirlpool. Repair man says he sees this all the time, with all different brands and models. He says there is not enough ventilation inside the cabinet, and it overheats and fries the heat sensor. He says I am his fourth one this week. I'm appalled.

Teach you to clean your oven!!!

chemvictim

MarkDaSpark wrote:Teach you to clean your oven!!!

That's basically what the repair man said. Just don't use the self clean, he said. Just don't spill anything in there, he said. Mmmmmmkay.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
vaaccess wrote:So...I'm curious if any of you have any ideas on this.

Wife and I are going to get away soon, just for three nights. Currently thinking about sticking local/drivable, but also considering a farther destination. I spent an unreasonable amount of time today looking at things like Sandals, last-minute deals, etc, though haven't found anything that I consider to be worth what we want to spend. We're trying to be frugal! Anyway...Do any of you have any travel sites that you swear by to get amazing last-minute deals? I'm finding the whole thing to be a PITA.

Thanks!

Try groupon...I don't know how last minute their travel deals are but most of them appear to be good deals. At least on the surface. The only one we got and used was certainly worth it.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mommadeb1

chemvictim wrote:It is a whirlpool. Repair man says he sees this all the time, with all different brands and models. He says there is not enough ventilation inside the cabinet, and it overheats and fries the heat sensor. He says I am his fourth one this week. I'm appalled.

I am also appalled at the way things are now being built.... no such thing as quality anymore...

mommadeb1

vaaccess wrote:If you end up being healthier/losing weight...you will win in the long run. I understand what you mean, but winning the battle isn't as important as winning the war. Doing it smart will add years to your life, not reduce them. GOOD LUCK THOUGH!

Thanks! the whinny person is already experiencing some health problems due to stupid choices... I just want to beat her to show her what hard work really accomplishes... and change CAN be done.... oh well.. it is what it is... and I am so HAPPY that I can fit into clothes that didn't fit anymore...

vaaccess

mommadeb1 wrote:Thanks! the whinny person is already experiencing some health problems due to stupid choices... I just want to beat her to show her what hard work really accomplishes... and change CAN be done.... oh well.. it is what it is... and I am so HAPPY that I can fit into clothes that didn't fit anymore...

Ditto on that last part. My "skinny" jeans are now really loose. Gotta get some NEW skinny jeans. Not a bad thing.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Thanks!

If you like cruising, vacations-to-go 90 day ticker has some killer last minute deals. We went on a high-end 7 night eastern Carribean cruise for <$300 each a few years ago; booked 7 days before sailing. Of course our bar bill was more than twice what we spent on the cost of the cruise...

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
mother wrote:Pain in the neck! I hope there was no satanic toilet/floor drain involvement during the discovery period...

Replacing the water line while you're at it sounds like a no brainer- so sorry you're going through this!

Um, yeah. Basement. Got some cleanin' to do.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
chemvictim wrote:That's basically what the repair man said. Just don't use the self clean, he said. Just don't spill anything in there, he said. Mmmmmmkay.

"I broke my bike. Can you fix it?"

"Yep. Just don't use your bike."

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . . ?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
vaaccess wrote:Ditto on that last part. My "skinny" jeans are now really loose. Gotta get some NEW skinny jeans. Not a bad thing.

Ha. Two sets of jeans; summer and winter.

CT

mommadeb1

vaaccess wrote:Ditto on that last part. My "skinny" jeans are now really loose. Gotta get some NEW skinny jeans. Not a bad thing.

It is a great feeling!!! Congrats!!

bahwm

kylemittskus wrote:"I broke my bike. Can you fix it?"

"Yep. Just don't use your bike."

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . . ?

Why don't we have a "LIKE" button? Oh, TT????

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

Love it! I just got yelled at by one of my colleagues wondering if I'd lost weight lately. I was happy to say Yep! We've been juicing a bit and doing smoothies a bit. Unfortunately, when I was at the doctor's office yesterday, the scale wasn't as kind as it was at the end of last week, but she was happy with the weight loss so far. So am I. And, I'm not stopping! Plus, we're hardly doing any carbs any more. I really think that is helping, I am also drinking water at lunch instead of soda or iced tea. However, be careful: my sodium level went lower than the doc liked. She thinks it's because of my drinking bottled water. I'm more inclined to think that it's because our reducing sodium in cooking. I'm really only drinking one "new" bottle of water daily with lunch.

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:It is a great feeling!!! Congrats!!

Agree!

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:That's basically what the repair man said. Just don't use the self clean, he said. Just don't spill anything in there, he said. Mmmmmmkay.

Mom never used Self Clean. Maybe because she always used aluminum foil under everything? And this was a bright shiny oven!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

They have these silicon oven liners that are great for catching the spills. Remove 'em, wash 'em, put 'em back in. No more oven cleaning.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Morning folks! Happy Hump Day! It's Thursday for me because I'm taking Friday off. Son comes home from college. Whoohoo!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Thanks!

If you are looking for resort type options, and depending on what location you want, I can probably find you a good deal using my parents timeshare points. I've very often helped my mom rent them through Ebay and such, and she has a gazillion points that she's always trying to find ways to rent some out. So I can find something for where you might want to go and give you the best possible rental price and then you can use that as another thing to compare with regards to what you are looking at elsewhere.
Though last-minute deals on some of those sites can probably beat anything I can come up with, even with the fact that booking close to vacation time does save a lot in points (sometimes half the normal booking amount). But if you'd like me to look at something to give you another option, let me know.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
chemvictim wrote:The moral of the story is, credit cards are evil. Never let them get the upper hand. And always hold a grudge.

Credit cards are not evil as long as you keep the upper hand. Yes, it's tough to keep the upper hand and even tougher to get it back once it's lost it.
But if you can keep your eye on it well enough and budget their use....the bonuses (cashback, miles, etc) from the various types of cards are well worth it.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

chemvictim

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Credit cards are not evil as long as you keep the upper hand. Yes, it's tough to keep the upper hand and even tougher to get it back once it's lost it.
But if you can keep your eye on it well enough and budget their use....the bonuses (cashback, miles, etc) from the various types of cards are well worth it.

Agreed. That's how it started for me. I used them for everything so I could get the points. It worked for awhile but eventually I didn't handle it properly.

Now I prefer to see the money leave the account as soon as it's spent. Maybe if I had a rewards card that I could set to a weekly autopay, that would work. lol

vaaccess

bahwm wrote:Love it! I just got yelled at by one of my colleagues wondering if I'd lost weight lately. I was happy to say Yep! We've been juicing a bit and doing smoothies a bit. Unfortunately, when I was at the doctor's office yesterday, the scale wasn't as kind as it was at the end of last week, but she was happy with the weight loss so far. So am I. And, I'm not stopping! Plus, we're hardly doing any carbs any more. I really think that is helping, I am also drinking water at lunch instead of soda or iced tea. However, be careful: my sodium level went lower than the doc liked. She thinks it's because of my drinking bottled water. I'm more inclined to think that it's because our reducing sodium in cooking. I'm really only drinking one "new" bottle of water daily with lunch.

As I mentioned, I'm currently taking cholesterol medication, but thinking I need to call the doctor and talk about getting off of it. It had taken me from a total cholesterol count of ~250 down to ~150, so it was working well, but...Now that I'm not eating red meat and am eating a ton of veggies and fruits, I'm guessing I don't need it anymore and might be causing harm if I stay on it...?

So...Today I hit a milestone that I'm excited about. I'm 6'1" and at my peak was at 225, though I started this year around 220. Anyway, I weighed myself today and hit 200.00 on the button. Guessing that in a day or two I'll break below the 200 mark for the first time in many years. I'm trying to get down to 185 or so, but will tweak that once I get closer. That's my target/college weight.

To your other point, I'm also curious what this is doing to my other health markers. Hadn't considered that I could be too low on sodium...I certainly don't get much at all at this point. I'll have to keep an eye on that!

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Anyone who has met me will roll there eyes when I give dietary advice, but just because I'm fat doesn't mean I don't know what I should be doing: (In my case being a f-ton more physically active)

Blood cholesterol and triglycerides, particularly the types measured in blood tests (fasting) have f-all to do with the amount of saturated fat and/or cholesterol in your diet.

In fact a high carb (fruit) diet will almost assuredly lead to higher cholesterol and LDL levels. The only saving grace in such a diet is high dietary fiber...

If there is one diet that has been overwhelmingly and scientifically proven to be unhealthy its the low fat/low protein/high carb diet.

PS Using debit cards in the US s extremely dangerous, so I hope that isn't peoples alternative to credit/charge cards. BTW classic AMEX cards are charge and not credit, fwiw.

mother

bahwm wrote:Um, yeah. Basement. Got some cleanin' to do.

Noooooooo. You know the servepro tagline? This is exactly what it's meant for.

*shiver*

bahwm

vaaccess wrote:

As I mentioned, I'm currently taking cholesterol medication, but thinking I need to call the doctor and talk about getting off of it. It had taken me from a total cholesterol count of ~250 down to ~150, so it was working well, but...Now that I'm not eating red meat and am eating a ton of veggies and fruits, I'm guessing I don't need it anymore and might be causing harm if I stay on it...?

So...Today I hit a milestone that I'm excited about. I'm 6'1" and at my peak was at 225, though I started this year around 220. Anyway, I weighed myself today and hit 200.00 on the button. Guessing that in a day or two I'll break below the 200 mark for the first time in many years. I'm trying to get down to 185 or so, but will tweak that once I get closer. That's my target/college weight.

To your other point, I'm also curious what this is doing to my other health markers. Hadn't considered that I could be too low on sodium...I certainly don't get much at all at this point. I'll have to keep an eye on that!

Congrats on the milestone! Keep it up! That's awesome!

I haven't lost anywhere near that amount, but I've been only seriously consciously working on my food intake since all of our summer frolicking ended--let's say, Sept. 1st. Based on that, I would say that I'm down a full 10 pounds. I would like to go down another 10 - 12, maybe. We'll see what happens once I add the exercise component. While we were in Europe, I did not gain any weight--too much walking & stairs! Loved it!

Great job on getting the cholesterol down! You could always check with your doctor and ask if you could stop taking the meds for a time and just keep an eye on things to see where the numbers are for X amount of time. I am taking Niaspan with an aspirin a day and Omega-3 Fish Oil capsules. I had the same results. I didn't want to go on the statins. This is a more natural product.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mother wrote:Anyone who has met me will roll there eyes when I give dietary advice, but just because I'm fat doesn't mean I don't know what I should be doing: (In my case being a f-ton more physically active)

Blood cholesterol and triglycerides, particularly the types measured in blood tests (fasting) have f-all to do with the amount of saturated fat and/or cholesterol in your diet.

In fact a high carb (fruit) diet will almost assuredly lead to higher cholesterol and LDL levels. The only saving grace in such a diet is high dietary fiber...

If there is one diet that has been overwhelmingly and scientifically proven to be unhealthy its the low fat/low protein/high carb diet.

PS Using debit cards in the US s extremely dangerous, so I hope that isn't peoples alternative to credit/charge cards. BTW classic AMEX cards are charge and not credit, fwiw.

how is using a debit card dangerous in the US? I don't use them online I guess, but everywhere else.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:how is using a debit card dangerous in the US? I don't use them online I guess, but everywhere else.

I'm guessing because it is direct access to your bank account, rather than access to a credit line being supplied by a third party. I also think there is significantly less fraud protection build into debit card transactions then there is credit card transactions.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mother

North316 wrote:I'm guessing because it is direct access to your bank account, rather than access to a credit line being supplied by a third party. I also think there is significantly less fraud protection build into debit card transactions then there is credit card transactions.

Basically.

Also you do lots of things from your checking account:
-writing checks
-paying your mortgage
-paying your car loan(s)
-paying credit cards

The bank eventually restoring your balance isn't going to erase those missed payments, and may not even cover NSF fees...

mother

BTW Just came across this article regarding fat vs carbs...