karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
cheron98 wrote: Michigan mindset - when Halloween comes, it's time to put the snow-stuff in the car.

Chicago mindset....I never take mine out of the car. Or is that just because I am lazy???

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
karenhynes wrote:Chicago mindset....I never take mine out of the car. Or is that just because I am lazy???

Yeah, I realized that I just left mine in the car all year-round. Including a blanket for getting snowbound. I do need to put the new emergency shovel in the car and should probably get a small thing of kitty litter in the trunk, too.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
HitAnyKey42 wrote:We're having our first snow too...

Jealous. I miss snow.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:We're not alone. Bowtie had it all the way east of us. Please come and pressure wash our basement. Plumber will have to come back. He cannot find the sewer line from the outside to roto root it! Urg! All that waiting!

I hope they gave you a big discount for making you wait all that time..and not being able to fix your problem!! Maybe time to try a different plumber?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
otolith wrote:We got it a week or so ago. Still see some on the ground in a couple shaded areas...It's going to be a long winter.

90 here tomorrow. I'm getting sick of this long summer, actually.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:Jealous. I miss snow.

Why? Drive an hour to the mountains, and you have snow. You can even rent a cabin for the weekend. And then drive home without worrying about needing to shovel the driveway out!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
kylemittskus wrote:90 here tomorrow. I'm getting sick of this long summer, actually.

Our summer started late and ended early, it seems...Kinda sucked this year.

Plus, I'm not much of a "fall is my favorite time of year" person, which adds insult to injury. Throw in daylight savings and dark at 5pm, and it's amazing I can still crack a smile. heh

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
otolith wrote: Throw in daylight savings and dark at 5pm, and it's amazing I can still crack a smile. heh

That's the part that kills me. Dark when I go into work. Dark when I leave work.

You would think it gets better as the winter goes on and it stays lighter longer, but by that time I am just working longer hours, so still the same - dark to dark.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
klezman wrote:Jealous. I miss snow.

I hate snow, nothing fun about it. As a kid it's awesome as an adult it sucks.

CT

mommadeb1

kylemittskus wrote:90 here tomorrow. I'm getting sick of this long summer, actually.

not me!

mommadeb1

North316 wrote:That's the part that kills me. Dark when I go into work. Dark when I leave work.

You would think it gets better as the winter goes on and it stays lighter longer, but by that time I am just working longer hours, so still the same - dark to dark.

eww that has got to suck!

mommadeb1

Well it was 85 here on Monday, 82 this afternoon. Now the cold front has hit, and it is raining and our highs tomorrow won't even reach 70!! agggghhh
add to that no work for me since last week!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

And so begins the season of Floridians and Southern Californians seeking pity for their "chilly" 70 degree temps.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

otolith

cheron98 wrote:And so begins the season of Floridians and Southern Californians seeking pity for their "chilly" 70 degree temps.

Bunch o' delicate flowers, they are.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mommadeb1

cheron98 wrote:And so begins the season of Floridians and Southern Californians seeking pity for their "chilly" 70 degree temps.

hey it's not "chilly" it's COLD, like not reaching 70 for the HIGHS... oh the horror!! I have to dig out closed toe shoes and a jacket!!!

mommadeb1

otolith wrote:Bunch o' delicate flowers, they are.

yup! there is a reason I live where I do!!!

klezman

The only pity I seek is that it takes until November to cool off enough to wear a long-sleeved shirt to work.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:The only pity I seek is that it takes until November to cool off enough to wear a long-sleeved shirt to work.

What is this 'long sleeve shirt' you speak of?

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

It was about 20 degrees when I stopped for gas this morning. Shorts and T-shirt weren't quite enough. Needed a jacket while I was pumping, probably because of the wind. Glad it's not cold here yet.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:It was about 20 degrees when I stopped for gas this morning. Shorts and T-shirt weren't quite enough. Needed a jacket while I was pumping, probably because of the wind. Glad it's not cold here yet.

Shorts and T-shirt?!!!! are you crazy???!!!!
It is super windy here and cold!!!! (ok, not by your crazy northern standards) it will be only mid 60's today......and cloudy!! have to wait til sat until we are back to "normal" temps (mid 80's)

otolith

karenhynes wrote:Chicago mindset....I never take mine out of the car. Or is that just because I am lazy???

Lazy. Definitely Lazy.

--John Muir

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
polarbear22 wrote:It was about 20 degrees when I stopped for gas this morning. Shorts and T-shirt weren't quite enough. Needed a jacket while I was pumping, probably because of the wind. Glad it's not cold here yet.

this

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:Shorts and T-shirt?!!!! are you crazy???!!!!
It is super windy here and cold!!!! (ok, not by your crazy northern standards) it will be only mid 60's today......and cloudy!! have to wait til sat until we are back to "normal" temps (mid 80's)

I drive from my garage to a garage at work. And go to the fitness center first thing. So shorts and t-shirt are standard morning garb, and I carry my work clothes. Makes sense right?

But yes, I am crazy.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Agreed. I'm in Ohio and I went about an 8 year period without even owning a coat. I wear polo's year-round and only now, when it snows, do I consider getting out the "light jacket".

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

It's warmer today, but when I went to the gym yesterday morning at was 7 out. No, I didn't forget to type the second digit there.

Highs only in the 70s? Oh, such horrors!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Of course! We're not hardy pioneer types, but delicate flowers!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
MarkDaSpark wrote:Of course! We're not hardy pioneer types, but delicate flowers!

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought when I met you on the RPM tour. That guy is a delicate flower.

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

I tell you what. I love the weather here. (Richmond, VA) Yes, it gets cold. Yes, it snows. But, the snow will never stay on the ground more than a few days, and that's rare. The temps right now are almost extremely cold for us.

Average LOW temps are 31 (Dec), 28 (Jan), and 31 (Feb) before it gets back to above freezing on average.

The humidity can get pretty bad in the late summer, but honestly it isn't that bad for long.

My sister lives in Minneapolis and I can appreciate hating fall up there since it probably isn't long before snow starts once fall hits.

Anyway, I love the seasons here...I think it's a perfect balance. Even being up in DC is too far north, though, as they get hit by a lot more snow than we typically do. It's amazing that even just a county North of us can get pretty bad. We seem to be on the edge of colder weather, and I'm ok with that!

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
vaaccess wrote:I tell you what. I love the weather here. (Richmond, VA) Yes, it gets cold. Yes, it snows. But, the snow will never stay on the ground more than a few days, and that's rare. The temps right now are almost extremely cold for us.

Average LOW temps are 31 (Dec), 28 (Jan), and 31 (Feb) before it gets back to above freezing on average.

The humidity can get pretty bad in the late summer, but honestly it isn't that bad for long.

My sister lives in Minneapolis and I can appreciate hating fall up there since it probably isn't long before snow starts once fall hits.

Anyway, I love the seasons here...I think it's a perfect balance. Even being up in DC is too far north, though, as they get hit by a lot more snow than we typically do. It's amazing that even just a county North of us can get pretty bad. We seem to be on the edge of colder weather, and I'm ok with that!

I lived in Alexandria for several years. It wasn't too bad. I don't mind the cold unless it goes on for a long time, then I get sick of it.

I do enjoy having seasons, though.

mommadeb1

chemvictim wrote:I lived in Alexandria for several years. It wasn't too bad. I don't mind the cold unless it goes on for a long time, then I get sick of it.

I do enjoy having seasons, though.

I seem to remember seasons...... it has been soooo long ago......

mommadeb1

I'm sooooo cold!!!

klezman

X-post: Calling rpm - could you refresh my memory on whether a 1974 BV Georges de Latour would be a wise or foolish purchase in the next week or so? Assuming good provenance, that is.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
klezman wrote:X-post: Calling rpm - could you refresh my memory on whether a 1974 BV Georges de Latour would be a wise or foolish purchase in the next week or so? Assuming good provenance, that is.

I saw that and am interested

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:X-post: Calling rpm - could you refresh my memory on whether a 1974 BV Georges de Latour would be a wise or foolish purchase in the next week or so? Assuming good provenance, that is.

Indeed...

CT

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

posted in the Gathering thread

1974 was a year touted early as a great year - the wines were very fruity and appealing young. The BV Latour was not one of the strongest '74s to begin with, although appealing. Bob Thompson, one of the best writers on California wine generally, and on Cabernet in particular, wrote in 1988 of the 1974 de Latour: By 1982 a bit tawny, with bouqueted flavors to match.

So, it was past it's prime in one major writer's opinion over 30 years ago.

If the wine's $25 or less, and has been exceptionally well stored, it's worth a flyer if you accept you may be disappointed. I wouldn't pay more than that.

I think I had my last bottle in the early '90s. It was still holding as past prime but alive. Overshadowed at that point by both '78 and '79 de Latour. The '70 was the wine of the decade - of the half-century, really. '79 and '73 were vintages which held very, very well. I may still a '73 and I know I still have a couple of the '79s.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

klezman

rpm, thanks as always! I knew 73 and 74 were opposite years but can never remember which is which.

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen
klezman wrote:rpm, thanks as always! I knew 73 and 74 were opposite years but can never remember which is which.

I brought this bottle to the Scott Harvey dinner in Wooster, OH earlier this year and it was surprisingly drinkable.

I was planning to bring the 1974 to next year's dinner but it sounds like it may be a disappointment.

Think I may just save that one for the rpm tour to share with whomever wants to try it.

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

Yes, officer - I killed the pub.

mommadeb1

want to hear neat? My friend and I were out exercising and we heard a noise.... you will never guess what it was..... Lions! We have a lot of circus people out in our area, and the lions were roaring. The wind was blowing in our direction...it was soo awesome!!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mommadeb1 wrote:want to hear neat? My friend and I were out exercising and we heard a noise.... you will never guess what it was..... Lions! We have a lot of circus people out in our area, and the lions were roaring. The wind was blowing in our direction...it was soo awesome!!

I'll make sure to let the papers know this when I read the headlines. :-)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)